Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > Just for Fun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReviewers should be judged too.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.25  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 04:19
Moved to just for fun.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 04:48
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

And for those who are easily shocked, 2 days left to go for confession Big smileWinkHug

Thanks for a great time yesterday, Kati my dear. Hope you enjoyed it too Wink

HugHug and Hug
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 05:27
3/5
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 06:40
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

3/5

pfff..  fanboy and I HATE ratings without reviews AngryLOL

From Progarchives.com, the ultimate progressive rock music website

PROG ARCHIVES TOPIC REVIEW: Reviewers should be Judged too!

1.00 | 1 ratings

1 stars

Over the years Prog Archives has seen seen its share of silly, pointless and often controversial threads. However with this one, one can ask themselves, have we finally seen the worst of the worst. Thus I feel inspired to immortalize it in a review.

The problem.. how to do so in a way befitting the topic!  To help with my problem.. I have decided on a novel approach. I talked with some friends about this notion of reviewers being reviewed and got some interesting responses. So... why not let them say it for me. So I proceed with my thoughts on the thread... said so much than me....

'The lackluster idea behind the thread is presented with artless exposition; they've compromised between using ideas that fit the forum zeitgeist and trying to alter the forum zeitgeist to validate the idea of critiquing reviewers, and as a result everything sounds contrived.'

'I find reading threads like this to be just a little more enjoyable than viewing images of endless Middle Eastern atrocities, or reading the gruesome details of the latest killings by some gun-toting psychopath.'

'SPEECHLESS'

'The discussion is extremely competent but for every good idea (and there are some) there is one equally crass and stupid'

'I can honestly think of few threads as tedious to read to as this one... thank god at least for the Big Mick who doubles a forum savior at times there '

'This album for me highlights for me what Prog Archives is about. Score of members who all do their own thing, and though they are all respected in their ways, they fail at coming together to make a solid forum.'

'It sounds like an exaggeration but this thread goes on for 6 pages and I can scarely point to anything of value, other than the hot picture of Grace Slick '

Anyway... that about sums up what I thought of the thread. I couldn't bother with a post by post breakdown since it all ran together and the subject of the thread bored me and I lost interest in trying to follow the actual arguments. I was honestly only roused to attention when some the admin team dropped in to lay down the law and caught the squeeky clean Kati in the wreckage of Grace Slicks appearance.

For the site...1 stars.....  Not exactly a high point of good forum topics.

For me personally... 5 stars.. it beats another X verus Y band poll and they give the forum trolls room to play.

Michael (aka micky)

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 06:51
"some admin"?
One of the nicest guys around, Steve, drops by to note that you're using the f-word a little too vicariously, and then you just continue posting memes with the exact same contentConfused We, as admins, have a responsibility to keep the forum somewhat sober and free of profanity - not because we want to but because we want the site to endure, and it is part of the job description. If that's too softcore for anyone, then I suggest you take it somewhere else where folks are allowed to talk like sailors.

Anyway, if you ever are looking for threads where you can just sit back and relax - not having to talk about anything in particular, I wholeheartedly recommend either the shred or the adult version: the shed.
As this thread now is in JFF, I guess you guys can take it anywhere it needs to go - ie slick moves to court Sonia, meme fun and all sorts of ramblingWink

Edited by Guldbamsen - January 24 2015 at 06:55
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 06:58
f
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 07:00
*puts on my  sweet innocent precious baby face*

hey... I'm innocent man...   I just posted a nice cute picture of Gracie! And ignored no warning from Steve once given.. besides someone has to keep you guys on your toes. What fun would be an admin be if you had a nice clean forum...and didn't have Micky to kick around. LOL

Edited by micky - January 24 2015 at 07:03
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 07:23
micky did it Embarrassed
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 07:29
damnit Angry...  my attempts of putting on a sweet innocent face just doesn't cut it anymore I guess.

Though I once had it.. hell I was still being carded for cigarettes into my 30's.  I guess hard living, my wicked ways and bad reputation here have finally caught up to me.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 09:31
pfft!
What?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 09:43
well said.. in fact I couldn't have said it any better myself

pfff..
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 10:13
This could've been an interesting topic, if the mod hadn't shied away...

There is no need to put rules on reviews, but having something in place to have them judged visibly by readers could be beneficial. I'm thinking along the lines of having a feature (beyond a Facebook like button) to rate reviews, or vote them up/down would help in different ways:

• serious reviewers would get feedback on whether or not their reviews are appreciated
  • bad reviewers (fanboy reviews, or malicious ones - if these latter exist at all) will get the same
  • readers looking for info will be able to judge review(er)s themselves and select the ones their fellow readers appreciate most

Similar features exist on Amazon, ProgPlanet, and other places - and why not? It encourages reviewers to improve their skills and readers to find useful information.

But what's the point of writing this here, now that this has been moved to Just For Fun.... 

Edited by Angelo - January 24 2015 at 10:14
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 10:21
We already have a thread for that AngeloSmile

- Douglas Adams
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 10:27
That's a start, David, but too invisible. A person looking into an album doesn't go for that thread, they go for the reviews directly. 
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 10:27
And the thread died within a week Q.E.D.....

Scratch that, I misunderstood your post. I'll revive that thread.

Edited by Angelo - January 24 2015 at 10:29
ISKC Rock Radio
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 10:31
Handshake

- Douglas Adams
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 15:47
Shaking hands with yourself? Narcist! ;)

ISKC Rock Radio
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 12:52
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

3/5

1.00 | 1 ratings

1 stars

Over the years Prog Archives has seen seen its share of silly, pointless and often controversial threads. However with this one, one can ask themselves, have we finally seen the worst of the worst. Thus I feel inspired to immortalize it in a review.

The problem.. how to do so in a way befitting the topic!  To help with my problem.. I have decided on a novel approach. I talked with some friends about this notion of reviewers being reviewed and got some interesting responses. So... why not let them say it for me. So I proceed with my thoughts on the thread... said so much than me....

'The lackluster idea behind the thread is presented with artless exposition; they've compromised between using ideas that fit the forum zeitgeist and trying to alter the forum zeitgeist to validate the idea of critiquing reviewers, and as a result everything sounds contrived.'

'I find reading threads like this to be just a little more enjoyable than viewing images of endless Middle Eastern atrocities, or reading the gruesome details of the latest killings by some gun-toting psychopath.'

'SPEECHLESS'

'The discussion is extremely competent but for every good idea (and there are some) there is one equally crass and stupid'

'I can honestly think of few threads as tedious to read to as this one... thank god at least for the Big Mick who doubles a forum savior at times there '

'This album for me highlights for me what Prog Archives is about. Score of members who all do their own thing, and though they are all respected in their ways, they fail at coming together to make a solid forum.'

'It sounds like an exaggeration but this thread goes on for 6 pages and I can scarely point to anything of value, other than the hot picture of Grace Slick '

Anyway... that about sums up what I thought of the thread. I couldn't bother with a post by post breakdown since it all ran together and the subject of the thread bored me and I lost interest in trying to follow the actual arguments. I was honestly only roused to attention when some the admin team dropped in to lay down the law and caught the squeeky clean Kati in the wreckage of Grace Slicks appearance.

For me personally... 5 stars.. it beats another X verus Y band poll and they give the forum trolls room to play.

Michael (aka micky)

Should the reviewers of boring threads be reviewed? TongueLOL

Edited by SteveG - January 25 2015 at 12:56
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 15:33
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

3/5

1.00 | 1 ratings

1 stars

'SPEECHLESS'

Michael (aka micky)

Should the reviewers of boring threads be reviewed? TongueLOL

oh we are.. hahah.. oh yes... have no doubt of that.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 18:45

There’s nothing wrong with re-directing me back to topic me when I go off topic, I do understand the reasons behind and respect them, also I know it’s not personal.

I do tend to go off topic sometimes, I know, especially when humour is concerned, I like that thus find it hard to contain myself not act upon this. I will however no longer post internet pics with the “word” in it.

I just wish everyone to be happy.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>