Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhen will the album format in prog go away?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 09:05
Absolutely, Dean - this is just a wrong minded post. It's not one where generalisations work.

As for vinyl sales going up, it's from very low levels, DarkElf. Sometimes, it's the only way that musicians think they can make money. The problem is that the minimum runs of 500 - 1000 pressings make it a huge risk for small musicians without an established fan base. I explained the maths in one post and then offered to let any interested parties take 75% of the profit of any album run I did, provided they paid production costs and the remainder of my 25% up front.

No takers.

There is also a very large back catalogue of old vinyl people can dip into, should they feel the urge to return to the scratchy old yesteryears. 

As for vinyl and long tracks, incompatible. After 20 odd minutes, I've just got started and we're in the leadout groove. Smile

Edited by Davesax1965 - February 01 2015 at 09:07

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 09:10
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Absolutely, Dean - this is just a wrong minded post. It's not one where generalisations work.

As for vinyl sales going up, it's from very low levels, DarkElf. Sometimes, it's the only way that musicians think they can make money. The problem is that the minimum runs of 500 - 1000 pressings make it a huge risk for small musicians without an established fan base. I explained the maths in one post and then offered to let any interested parties take 75% of the profit of any album run I did, provided they paid production costs and the remainder of my 25% up front.

No takers.

There is also a very large back catalogue of old vinyl people can dip into, should they feel the urge to return to the scratchy old yesteryears. 

As for vinyl and long tracks, incompatible. After 20 odd minutes, I've just got started and we're in the leadout groove. Smile
Oh, I know vinyl sales are up from very low levels, Dave. I am still waiting for the retro-coolness factor to enhance the sales of 8-tracks so that I can get rid of a box of the useless things sitting in my basement. LOL

Edited by The Dark Elf - February 01 2015 at 09:11
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 09:36
You modernist, Dark Elf. I'm sticking with Edison wax cylinders. Smile

Wednesday View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 09:43
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Totally off topic, but 

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jan/29/bone-music-soviet-bootleg-records-pressed-on-xrays

Soviet records released on....... old x rays. ;-)

If I ever do a vinyl release, I think I have an idea for the cover. ;-

Off-topic yes, but also interesting - thanks for posting that link, it made for a pretty intriguing read!
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 09:47
Glad you liked it. ;-)

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 11:22
This is why all of us Prog heads or even music lovers/purists must stick together.

Buy the right format. Save and preserve the art in the in meantime.

Boy, if everyone was like me where sound quality took the highest presidency over everything music related cd and vinyl sales would be through the roof!! The general public don't know absolute dick when it comes to hearing music the way artist intended you to hear the music in the first place. 98% of people out there don't spend the money or take the time to research quality sound equipment or even take the time to understand about compression and limiters in downloaded music formats. .

The future is based on quick fixes and convenient sound set ups. I don't like the future, but I just now laugh it off by how most people listen or buy their music. It's such a joke, but how can you get people to hear and know what you know anyway? Seems like a waste of time, but at least I can take pleasure in knowing that I am doing things right and I am supporting my music heroes the best way I know how. :)

I don't mean to sound elitist in any way, but in this situation there is a clear right and wrong way to Go about how you listen to music for yourself. It comes down to exposure and education and the digital world is crushing all of this for the few generations that have come after mine. It's a sad state, but at least a lot of us here can be appreciative for what we know. :)

We've earned the right to Prog on. I know I have.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 11:46
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

This is why all of us Prog heads or even music lovers/purists must stick together.

Boy, if everyone was like me where sound quality took the highest presidency over everything music related cd and vinyl sales would be through the roof!! The general public don't know absolute dick when it comes to hearing music the way artist intended you to hear the music in the first place. 98% of people out there don't spend the money or take the time to research quality sound equipment or even take the time to understand about compression and limiters in downloaded music formats. .

The future is based on quick fixes and convenient sound set ups. I don't like the future, but I just now laugh it off by how most people listen or buy their music. It's such a joke, but how can you get people to hear and know what you know anyway? Seems like a waste of time, but at least I can take pleasure in knowing that I am doing things right and I am supporting my music heroes the best way I know how. :)

I don't mean to sound elitist in any way, but in this situation there is a clear right and wrong way to Go about how you listen to music for yourself. It comes down to exposure and education and the digital world is crushing all of this for the few generations that have come after mine. It's a sad state, but at least a lot of us here can be appreciative for what we know. :)

Ermm unless you are buying 24-bit format none of the other digital formats are better than red book standard of CD. Even then it is debatable whether 24-bit offers anything other than an expensive hobby.

The reason why "98% of people out there..." etc., is simply that it is not important to them. They are not settling for a lesser product, they are content with what they have regardless of your opinion of how "wrong" or how "sad" it is. Tongue

I buy vinyl because it's a nice thing to own, just as my Skagen wristwatch is a nice thing to own. Approve
What?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 11:49
It's already gone, sorry you didn't get the memo....
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 13:05
The long-play album evolved along with widespread use of marijuana, LSD and other drugs.  

It was easy to load up a turntable changer with a platter of LPs, pass the bong etc., and just melt back into the furniture, absorbing "Dark Side" etc.  

That's how I remember it, anyway!  LOL

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 13:13
^Thumbs Up Double albums were especially helpful!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 13:16
...and a nice flat surface for rolling a three-skinner.
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 13:19
^Thumbs Up That too!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 13:34
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

The long-play album evolved along with widespread use of marijuana, LSD and other drugs.  

It was easy to load up a turntable changer with a platter of LPs, pass the bong etc., and just melt back into the furniture, absorbing "Dark Side" etc.  

That's how I remember it, anyway!  LOL

I don't remember it at all.Wink
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 13:39
Well the gatefold LP was very good for getting the seeds out...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 19:53
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Memories, like the corner of my...of my...of my...

Ummm...what were we talking about again? And are you gonna eat that brownie?
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Friday13th View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 23:05
Nah, we're talking prog, damn it. We need to get bigger not smaller. Forget double albums, we need 100 CD box sets of a band's full discography...all released at the same time. Talk about a killer debut album! LOL
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 03:52
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Ermm unless you are buying 24-bit format none of the other digital formats are better than red book standard of CD. Even then it is debatable whether 24-bit offers anything other than an expensive hobby.

The reason why "98% of people out there..." etc., is simply that it is not important to them. They are not settling for a lesser product, they are content with what they have regardless of your opinion of how "wrong" or how "sad" it is. Tongue

I buy vinyl because it's a nice thing to own, just as my Skagen wristwatch is a nice thing to own. Approve

The reissue of Rick Wakeman's Six Wives Of Henry VIII includes a 'vinyl rip' ( actually LPCM 96/24 Stereo to be precise) on the bonus DVD. What a great idea especially as it sounds so much better than the remastered CD even with the background noise!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 05:12
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

The reissue of Rick Wakeman's Six Wives Of Henry VIII includes a 'vinyl rip' ( actually LPCM 96/24 Stereo to be precise) on the bonus DVD. What a great idea especially as it sounds so much better than the remastered CD even with the background noise!
The buzz-phrase 'vinyl rip' does irritate me somewhat since it has absolutely nothing to do with the 24/96 product that is being delivered, simply put - vinyl does not contain sufficient "data" to make 24-bits beneficial. However, since my extensive technical explanations of this seem to fall on deaf ears I'll say no more.
What?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 11:30
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Specially when it was the FLASH cover, or Capability Brown's cover ... those stayed on my wall for years! 

Too bad the CD and it's art is too small, and if you put it on the wall ... no one can see it!

Edited by moshkito - February 07 2015 at 11:31
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 09:49
Do book fans have similar discussions? Do they go around saying why don't authors just release chapters at a time, sometimes out of order?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>