Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGoing for the One: Yes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Going for the One: Yes
    Posted: August 20 2015 at 13:06
It's the last one I bought....a good effort. But Relayer is probably the last one that 'thrilled' me if that's the right term.

Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
condor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2015 at 10:58
It makes me feel ecstatic
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 14:05
Originally posted by Star_Song_Age_Less Star_Song_Age_Less wrote:

^I never had this problem with Anderson's lyrics like others did.  There's something freeing about the use of words more for their sound than their meaning.  I find it relaxing and uplifting. 

Yes, you just have to be aware that he uses words that way. Once I knew he did that, it became a refreshing idea to me as well.
Star_Song_Age_Less View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 12:42
^I never had this problem with Anderson's lyrics like others did.  There's something freeing about the use of words more for their sound than their meaning.  I find it relaxing and uplifting.  I much prefer that to lyrics that actually do have meaning but are cliche or childish.  And when Anderson does actually write lyrics that are personally meaningful (Magnification) they hit home for me.

GFTO doesn't sound like a Yes knockoff to me.  But Open Your Eyes and Fly From Here do.   GTFO is certainly very different from what came before, but all groups evolve, and that's fine.  I wouldn't want them just to re-do something they'd done before.
https://www.facebook.com/JamieKernMusic
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 07:12
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Lyrics sung by Jon entirely in Tibetan so I don't have to be irrirated by them. 
Eerie-rated, you mean? jk .. I agree. It seems like around the time of Siberian Khatru Anderson lost his sense of balance and started swinging his creative pendulum from platitudes to gobbledygook and back. Neither is appreciated by this PA member. 
Thank you, Fripp, for our daily Prog (Red 39:54)
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 06:35
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Yes had stopped being 'progressive' and the point where Moraz left the band and Anderson then grovelled to Wakeman to get him back was that point. Yes self parody was beginning to kick in and I totally agree with the very last comment. It's still at a high musical level though.

Indeed - I'd call this vintage of Yes the best Yes knockoff band around.

The excellent use of cathedral organ and Howe's playing on TOTC rescue it to some extent for me although its still a very 'cold' album for the most part thanks to that horrible production.

To be fair there are lots of bits of playing from Steve on the record that, in isolation, I think are really good. Which makes the resulting mess all the more disappointing!

In my alternate-world daydream: after Moraz leaves the band decide to continue as a quartet without keyboards (gasp! choke!) and release a double album of esoteric jazz-rock in the vein of the gnarliest parts of Relayer, with Steve and Chris using a shed load of effects pedals to compensate for the lack of synths. Fripp and McLaughlin contribute guest solos. Lyrics sung by Jon entirely in Tibetan so I don't have to be irrirated by them.

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 06:07
^ I always laugh when I see this album's abbreviation LOL
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 06:03
Could never tune into GFTO. Couldn't say why exactly; perhaps by that time Anderson's voice had become too shrieky. There is something wrong with the cover art as well, at least it looks that way from where I sit :)

Also, I keep confusing GFTO with GTFO, or was it the other way around? 

Thank you, Fripp, for our daily Prog (Red 39:54)
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 03:25
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

GFTO has always been one of my favourite Yes albums, mainly because of its well-balanced eclecticism and somewhat harder edge. Though it is not as subtle and sophisticated as CTTE, or potentially ground-breaking as Relayer, I have always felt it was the last truly great Yes album.
Clap
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 03:22
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Not a fan of this record at all. Dislike:

1. Tasteless production job that cheapens the whole thing.

2. Pretty much all of the lyrics (I prefer Jon in "cryptic pretentious guff" mode to "clearly intelligible sick-making rubbish" mode). Some of the rhyming is laughably trite - "higher / fire", "hour / tower / power", really? And that's all from one song.

3. Some very nasty synth textures. Evidently Rick had a bunch of new toys to play with but it hasn't aged very well.

4. Some boring arena rock type drumming - where you get any drumming at all, which is too infrequently! And where the hell is Chris Squire's bass? There's just not enough rhythmic interest on most of this album.

5.  Steve on the title track. Downhome rock'n'roll-stylee that I find unconvincing and a bit condescending. Doesn't really gel with the rest of the song.

6.  Overall, too much "prettiness" to the composition and playing, not enough ingenuity and guts.

Awaken is pretty good - except for the obligatory horrible synth moments and some twee twinkly chime contributions from Alan. And Parallels has some nice instrumental passages. That's about it.

Please note that I do write as a Yes fan!  I like the first two albums a lot, love albums three to five unconditionally, and find much of interest - even fascination - on numbers six and seven. But for me GFTO is where Yes jumped the shark.  The first time they sounded like a knockoff band doing Yes-by-numbers.

Yes had stopped being 'progressive' and the point where Moraz left the band and Anderson then grovelled to Wakeman to get him back was that point. Yes self parody was beginning to kick in and I totally agree with the very last comment. It's still at a high musical level though. The excellent use of cathedral organ and Howe's playing on TOTC rescue it to some extent for me although its still a very 'cold' album for the most part thanks to that horrible production.

Edited by richardh - February 08 2015 at 03:24
Star_Song_Age_Less View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 01:15
It occurs to me that my screen name rather gives away my opinion on this one... Tongue  Awaken gentle mass touch!
https://www.facebook.com/JamieKernMusic
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 11:43
Not a fan of this record at all. Dislike:

1. Tasteless production job that cheapens the whole thing.

2. Pretty much all of the lyrics (I prefer Jon in "cryptic pretentious guff" mode to "clearly intelligible sick-making rubbish" mode). Some of the rhyming is laughably trite - "higher / fire", "hour / tower / power", really? And that's all from one song.

3. Some very nasty synth textures. Evidently Rick had a bunch of new toys to play with but it hasn't aged very well.

4. Some boring arena rock type drumming - where you get any drumming at all, which is too infrequently! And where the hell is Chris Squire's bass? There's just not enough rhythmic interest on most of this album.

5.  Steve on the title track. Downhome rock'n'roll-stylee that I find unconvincing and a bit condescending. Doesn't really gel with the rest of the song.

6.  Overall, too much "prettiness" to the composition and playing, not enough ingenuity and guts.

Awaken is pretty good - except for the obligatory horrible synth moments and some twee twinkly chime contributions from Alan. And Parallels has some nice instrumental passages. That's about it.

Please note that I do write as a Yes fan!  I like the first two albums a lot, love albums three to five unconditionally, and find much of interest - even fascination - on numbers six and seven. But for me GFTO is where Yes jumped the shark.  The first time they sounded like a knockoff band doing Yes-by-numbers.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 06:12
GFTO has always been one of my favourite Yes albums, mainly because of its well-balanced eclecticism and somewhat harder edge. Though it is not as subtle and sophisticated as CTTE, or potentially ground-breaking as Relayer, I have always felt it was the last truly great Yes album.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2015 at 22:03
Not a big fan of this one. I get bored very quickly.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 22:47
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Just me who doesn't care for the title track thenSmile Its very original admittedly and weirdly was a minor radio hit in the UK.

Count me in. I have never been fond of the title track either, but the rest of le album is great stuff.

No, I don't really like the title track either. Actually, it's one of those songs I could actually say I dislike... perhaps even hate. I guess I would have to listen to it again to make sure on which level of dislike it remains... but I'm not sure that I want to.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 06:20

Just me who doesn't care for the title track thenSmile Its very original admittedly and weirdly was a minor radio hit in the UK.

Count me in. I have never been fond of the title track either, but the rest of le album is great stuff.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 05:35
Aside from Prog, some AOR bands can truly play some intricate stuff..........(Styx, Journey etc)   Yes & Genesis are no different.......)
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 04:07
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Seriously - try playing along to it with any given instrument.......
.......taking into account - the playing of many 'Arena' bands is technically proficient..........
It all boils down to the musicians' ego.......

Yes, I see what you mean. 
It's one of those tracks that sound simple at first hearing, but are complex nevertheless.
Clever guys, those Yes guys ShockedClap
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 03:24

It used to really get on my nerves, but I can cope with it these days. I like the chaotic quirkiness of it.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 02:43
^ Seriously - try playing along to it with any given instrument.......
.......taking into account - the playing of many 'Arena' bands is technically proficient..........
It all boils down to the musicians' ego.......
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>