Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTangerine Dream Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2015 at 17:10
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

I have not ventured into anything past the Le Parc album, so I am not familiar with any of the latest stuff.  Anyone got any suggestions of the later stuff to start with...say late 90s on?

You need Underwater Sunlight (1986), Optical Race (1988), and Miracle Mile (1989) at the very least, before you move past the '80s. Smile

Perfect choices, Verslibre. Definitely check those three out especially, Jim, and the `Firestarter' soundtrack from the early 80's is pretty special as well.

(Or is it `Firewalker'?! Mental blank! I know one of them is a Chuck Norris movie...so not that one!

Verslibre, I'm pretty sure (for what it's worth?) a bluray of the movie `Miracle Mile' is due in the next few months, not sure if it's actually been officialy announced yet. I just recall a post on one of the Facebook pages for a label I buy blurays of.

Firestarter is the right one (Drew Barrymore, George C Scott) - based on the Stephen King book ..

Miracle Mile is amazing. Took me forever to find the DVD - excited to hear that there is a Blu-Ray release coming .. thanks for that
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2015 at 17:36
Originally posted by Walton Street Walton Street wrote:

Miracle Mile is amazing. Took me forever to find the DVD - excited to hear that there is a Blu-Ray release coming .. thanks for that

Walton, here's the thread about it, on the Blu-ray dot.com forum site:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=254731

I've bought a ton of blurays from that Kino label, all good quality, although they've mostly all been bare-bones releases, hardly any extras, so I don't know how lavish a release this one will be. An isolated music score would be a great bonus, though!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2015 at 17:49
Miracle Mile on Blu-ray...excellent! Imagine if it has an isolated soundtrack...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 03:39
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

My earliest recollection of them was hearing Force Majeure on the Friday Rock Show and although I didn't buy the album it stuck with me and eventually I bought it on cassette and first played it in a multi storey car park on my car stereo. WOOOSSH BANG KAPOW!!! Ok I know that sounds like that old Batman series but I would struggle to explain the impact it had on me. Never heard anything else like it.
As I've mentioned before I am very fond of the 1979-1985 era of TD. Even the oft overlooked album Le Parc has some gems like Yellowstone Park and LA Streethawk. 90's was a bit MEH but then the last 10 years or so has seen some very solid releases. My favourite of those is undoubtedly Purgatorio where they use about 6 classically trained female singers. I listen to that a lot , probably more than any TD release. If I was to post a link it would All The Steps To Heaven but I couldn't find that. So instead

Richard (glad you found the thread, by the way! ), I have been very reluctant to get those `Purgatorio'/Dante's Inferno related discs...I saw a few clips, and while I thought it was certainly ambitious and really quite adventurous for TD, I wasn't sure I'd dig it. Your recommendation makes me a lot more likely to got onto those discs at some point in the near future.

In regards to your post on the `Edgar' thread, that new `Booster' set (Even before what happened with Froese, it was always going to be the final volume) should have just gone on sale. I'll be putting in an order tonight and the 3 CD Australian Tour set.

I dig just pick up the two CD volumes of the live `Tournado' and `Valentine's Wheels' albums, what do you think of those ones if you have them?

My recollection is that Tournado is okay but not keen on Valentine's Wheels although its a while since I've listened to them properly.
I've just ordered Booster VII but I had to put the brakes on buying the 3 CD set as I'm paying out so much for CD's at the moment and not actually having enough time to listen to them properly!
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 03:49
Can I shamefully admit to almost liking Hyperborea ? ;-)

I was listening (yet) again) to Ricochet and thinking of doing a piece "inspired by it" - not a rip off - on the next album. To take a sequenced line and then pass it through an echo is a fantastic idea, absolutely revolutionary for the time. I just find the early stuff stunning, when you consider the technology they had. 

Mind you, the technology available - and the constraints around it - meant pieces had to be more carefully assembled and orchestrated. Which is why they sound like they do. 

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 10:16
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Can I shamefully admit to almost liking Hyperborea ? ;-)
If it's recorded by Froese, Franke and Schmoelling, you can't go wrong. Wink

I'll admit that as a whole, while I like the album it doesn't radiate the same intensity (for me) as Tangram, Exit, Thief, White Eagle, Firestarter, etc. The title track itself, however, is stellar.
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Mind you, the technology available - and the constraints around it - meant pieces had to be more carefully assembled and orchestrated. Which is why they sound like they do. 

Precisely. Synthesizers and sequencing had advanced enough to assemble exquisite textures but there were still limitations where polyphony and timbres were concerned, but I think it's that balance that gave us such fantastic compositions. I remember in one of the old TDIFC newsletters a page of sheet music from "Mojave Plan" was reproduced (presumably tabbed by Johannes), so stuff was being worked out on paper, to an extent. For this same reason, I've found much of the music made by the "successors" of Berlin School to be less interesting than TD.

It was better when each guy had to do exactly 33%...in the 90s, things were much different.

mwood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 21:45
My earliest memory of TD was that video of "Tiergarten" that verslibre mentioned on VH-1, so I guess it was 1986 (when the "New Visions" show first aired).  I found Underwater Sunlight on LP at my local shop, and I remember being mesmerized by the cover, but I didn't buy it at the time (I opted for the ELP's "Tarkus" on cassette instead).  As a matter of fact, except for "Tiergarten", I don't think I heard anything else from them until a friend in college let me make a cassette copy of the "Legend" soundtrack, which I was mostly interested in because of the Jon Anderson track.  Eventually I warmed up to the entire album.  In the early 1990s I joined the tadream mailing list and, with the guidance of the good people on that list, I filled in most of the TD back catalog, along with all the solo CDs I could find.  I kick myself for not buying that copy of Froese's Kamikaze soundtrack that I held in my hands.

They were on my "buy on sight" list for a while...until I heard "Tyranny of Beauty" and "Goblin's Club."  After that I bought one or two more, and decided that they just weren't for me anymore.  But with Edgar's death, I've been re-evaluating that thought.  I've been listening to the Sonic Poems series on youtube, and I bought the Zeitgeist Concert on iTunes, and I'm happy to say that these are all excellent.  I look forward to purchasing more, including the Booster series.

Tops in my TD library at the moment would be Force Majeure, Tangram, and White Eagle.  It's been almost nothing but TD & Froese since I heard the bad news.

Here's the aforementioned video for "Tiergarten," where it all began for me.

mwood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 22:03
I went through a phase in the 90s of trying to watch all the movies that TD had been involved with.  I couldn't track down all of them (remember, this was the age of VHS, not youtube and bittorrent).  
The soundtracks were mostly very good, but the movies were often a different story!  Man, did I sit through a lot of BAD movies.  :)  But among the really good ones:

Sorcerer 
Thief
Risky Business
Three O'Clock High
Firestarter

I'd happily watch each of those again.

But Dead Solid Perfect, Heartbreakers, Deadly Care, Legend, and The Park is Mine...ugh!

And the soundtrack to Destination Berlin was one of the cheesiest-sounding CDs I ever paid for!

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 03:06
^ Wasn't Near Dark a TD soundtrack as well? Great film for me and surprised you haven't seen that one ( unless you can't watch horror films of course as is the case with many).
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 04:21
Originally posted by mwood mwood wrote:

And the soundtrack to Destination Berlin was one of the cheesiest-sounding CDs I ever paid for!</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>

Bwahaha, I recently got the CD of this off Ebay very cheap, I was so excited...and then I played the damn thing! Urgh, what dreck! It's so upbeat and lightweight as well, really drippy material.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 17:49
Originally posted by mwood mwood wrote:

I went through a phase in the 90s of trying to watch all the movies that TD had been involved with.  I couldn't track down all of them (remember, this was the age of VHS, not youtube and bittorrent).  
The soundtracks were mostly very good, but the movies were often a different story!  Man, did I sit through a lot of BAD movies.  :)  But among the really good ones:

Sorcerer 
Thief
Risky Business
Three O'Clock High
Firestarter

I'd happily watch each of those again.

But Dead Solid Perfect, Heartbreakers, Deadly Care, Legend, and The Park is Mine...ugh!

And the soundtrack to Destination Berlin was one of the cheesiest-sounding CDs I ever paid for!

Near Dark is one of my favorite films, in or out of horror, and like Sorcerer and Risky Business before it, both the movie and the soundtrack are inseparable.

Heartbreakers is a good movie, too. Bobby Roth made some good films, and that's his best one, IMO. Another great mid-80s score. I'd just have liked the CD reissue to preserve the LP art instead of the cheesy image that graces it. Same for Near Dark — the remaster did away with the great original cover. I don't get why they do that.

While it falls apart in the last third due to the studio's savage post-edit of Michael Mann's print, I also like The Keep. The score is one of TD's best, with much of it appearing first on Logos. It's a beautiful film, visually, but unless you know the complete story and/or have read the novel, the build-up to the finale is scattered and makes no real sense. You also never understand who or what Glaeken (Scott Glenn) is.

Risky Business, like Thief, is a classic and yet another one of the best marriages of film and score that TD can boast of with music taken from Tangram, Exit, Force Majeure and Edgar's "Sobornost."

This may shock all or most of you, but I've never been a fan of Legend or the music! However, I do like "Blue Room."
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 18:31
I've got the TD Miracle Mile score on CD - is it difficult to get?

The soundtrack for The Keep is something else - I hunted for it for years - paid $50 for 'the orange' version and it was complete bunk.
But i did find a download of it by accident and it's the real deal - i have no idea where it came from.
I'd love a proper release but i guess there's no chance in hell of that now.

another soundtrack i like is for a fairly hard to find film called Wavelength

- SpongeBob Socrates
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 18:54
See below. LOL

Edited by verslibre - February 08 2015 at 18:55
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 18:55

It's getting a Blu-ray release!

I saw that on HBO back in the early 80s. I wanted to watch it again, so last year I resorted to watching it on Youtube. It's a "B" grade sci-fi flick but the TD score makes it worth it.
mwood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 19:24
Yes, good point.  I'll have to track down Near Dark...should be much easier to do that now.  I have The Keep soundtrack from the Tangerine Tree project - great stuff.  Have to make it a point to watch that one as well.

Not really a fan of the movie Legend - despite the presence of Mia Sara.  Big smile

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 20:01
Just picked up a used cd of this the other day .....nice album.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 21:47

The soundtrack for The Keep is something else - I hunted for it for years - paid $50 for 'the orange' version and it was complete bunk.
But i did find a download of it by accident and it's the real deal - i have no idea where it came from.

I bought the movie DVD of the Keep and it has become a massive favorite even though it was kind of low-budget and a little campy. Gabriel Byrne's SS haircut is incredible! The music is fabulous though, really MADE the film better. 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 21:49
My first TD album was Stratosfear. Like many here, I've been listening to a lot of TD, including a major marathon as I hopped among airports last week. It's amazing how well their music has held up after all this time. I would say their music is timeless, but digital sequencing is definitely about timing.
mwood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 10:44
Just caught Flashpoint on cable TV.  This was actually a very good movie, and the TD music fit it very well.  You can read up on the film at http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087268.  Interesting trivia from IMDB about the closing track, which was written & performed by "Scott Richardson & the Gems":

When the director William Tannen hired Tangerine Dream to score "Flashpoint" he told them not to do the end title song because he had one he was using - "Sympathy For The Devil" by The Rolling Stones. Tangerine Dream said it was the perfect song to end the film with. They scored the entire film but this piece. The studio felt the song was too expensive and instead gave the assignment to an assistant who worked for one of the vice presidents. It was voted "worst" end title song for 1984 by Leonard Matlin, the film critic.

Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 11:04
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

I bought the movie DVD of the Keep and it has become a massive favorite even though it was kind of low-budget and a little campy. Gabriel Byrne's SS haircut is incredible! The music is fabulous though, really MADE the film better. 

i take it that it's not an official release?
I have it on Laserdisc but i don't think it's been on DVD yet. Because of the score it's been tied up legally for ever.

I have the book (got it signed by the author) and he craps on the film at every opportunity.
He and another guy recorded an unofficial commentary trashing it.

I love the film though - fantastic cast, very stylish, and the score is killer

- SpongeBob Socrates
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>