Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Yes Album: Yes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 16:30
Great album....a classic  and Starship Trooper is one of the greatest epic prog tracks ever recorded imho.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 10:52
This was the first time I had heard Steve Howe play guitar and I have to tell you....it was very intimidating because he just appeared one day in YES with this very hyper energized type of playing and amazing technique. He was a ball of energy on fire. He was a beachball sweating inside a furnace! He was a guitar player in a straight jacket wating to free himself and perform.   It was like an explosion and most guitarists had to go home and practice. Between styles/techniques of Ragtime playing, Jazz with some Jim Hall tone, sustaining Rock leads playing technical Progressive Rock note passages at a clean precise speed of no tomorrow....my God..it was time to practice and many guitarists had no idea what they were in store for on the next album. I wasn't too surprised when he began playing Classical nylon string guitar on Fragile. I could tell immediately that he contained other dimensions to his playing because I was trained, but yet many of his shifting patterns were awkward and difficult to master precisely and consistently ..which made him a very technical player. He was a little monster in the 70's and many guitarists were trying to catch up to him. I realize this sounds a bit extreme, but he devastated fine guitarists when he first appeared on The Yes Album.

Edited by TODDLER - February 09 2015 at 10:56
Sidewinder11 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 11:58
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

This was the first time I had heard Steve Howe play guitar and I have to tell you....it was very intimidating because he just appeared one day in YES with this very hyper energized type of playing and amazing technique. He was a ball of energy on fire. He was a beachball sweating inside a furnace! He was a guitar player in a straight jacket wating to free himself and perform.   It was like an explosion and most guitarists had to go home and practice. Between styles/techniques of Ragtime playing, Jazz with some Jim Hall tone, sustaining Rock leads playing technical Progressive Rock note passages at a clean precise speed of no tomorrow....my God..it was time to practice and many guitarists had no idea what they were in store for on the next album. I wasn't too surprised when he began playing Classical nylon string guitar on Fragile. I could tell immediately that he contained other dimensions to his playing because I was trained, but yet many of his shifting patterns were awkward and difficult to master precisely and consistently ..which made him a very technical player. He was a little monster in the 70's and many guitarists were trying to catch up to him. I realize this sounds a bit extreme, but he devastated fine guitarists when he first appeared on The Yes Album.

Before The Yes Album, I always listened to keyboards/organ over everything else, but Howe got me into guitars as well. I could listen to Disillusion for days, I love that acustic section!
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 12:10
While not one of my favorites, favorites being 'Fragile', 'Drama', and 'Magnification', I do still think it's a pretty good album. 'Seen All Good People' is my personal favorite from the album. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12