Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Future Days: Krautrock and the Building Of Germany
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFuture Days: Krautrock and the Building Of Germany

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 11:47
Originally posted by Guy Guden Guy Guden wrote:

Otherwise PFM, Banco and Le Orme should be Woprock, Yellow Magic Orchestra and Acid Mothers Temple Niprock, all British bands Limeyrock or Limerock for 2 sylla ballet dancers, etc. etc.

:)X.

Shhhhhhhhhhh Guy ... psssssstttt ..... if you mention a country here on PA, they will immediately say it's not "progressive". If you use a nickname, they will discuss it as "progressive".  Shhhhhh!!!!! Funny, I never called Herzog, Weiss, Wenders or Handke ... krautfilm ... either! or krauttheater! Or Banco and Ange will never be progressive because they don't use "english"!

Edited by moshkito - February 13 2015 at 11:53
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 04:28
Hence why I refer to that movement as "Kosmische Musik", which is what the Teutons themselves call it.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 03:10
This is just me folks, so I beg your pardon... but... from January 27th, 1974 on till 2000 plus, I had the pleasure of introducing to commercial radio many artists from Germany.  NEVER in any of those broadcasts did I refer to this genre of music as Krautrock.  I found the term a cheap and demeaning way of categorizing a foreign style of music to less perceptive Western buyers. 

Otherwise PFM, Banco and Le Orme should be Woprock, Yellow Magic Orchestra and Acid Mothers Temple Niprock, all British bands Limeyrock or Limerock for 2 sylla ballet dancers, etc. etc.

:)X.
jacksiedanny View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 09:32
Mosho:

you wants the Greek's book on Krautrock.

Lotta piccies.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 09:26
Hi,

Just found it on Amazon ... thanks ... on it.

Within a month we will likely see a book or two on Edgar Froese, I am willing to bet!

The only thing that is weird is how silent the music folks in Germany are, other than a few words here and there. Manuel Gottsching is the only one that has done anything significant and neat!

Edited by moshkito - February 12 2015 at 09:31
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 14:41
Future Days: Krautrock and the Building Of Modern Germany by David Stubbs.
With the recent passing of the great Edgar Froese, this exhaustive and definitive book recording the birth, growth and flowering of one of Progressive Rock's most stellar genres could not have come at a more appropriate time. While not centering expressly on Froese (fear not as an entire chapter is dedicated to Tangerine Dream), the nucleus of the Krautrock genre goes hand in hand with the post social and cultural thoughts and reactions of the German musicians as well as exploring how the post war zeitgeist fed into the music itself. Just a few of the bands that are featured in this exhaustive study include chapters on Amon Duul, Can, Neu!, Faust, Kraftwork and, as I've already stated, Tangerine Dream.

This is a thought provoking work as well as being scholarly and well researched. I simply cannot recommend this book enough to both casual and serious fans of German electronic music. 5/5 stars. 

Edited by SteveG - February 13 2015 at 11:32
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123