Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich Kashmir?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which version of Kashmir do you like better?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
32 [74.42%]
1 [2.33%]
5 [11.63%]
1 [2.33%]
4 [9.30%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Kashmir?
    Posted: February 10 2015 at 22:15
Intended for Prog Related, but perhaps this particular song is actually adequate for a Prog Poll anyway. However, 4 distinct versions of the same song, all great for me and have a really hard time choosing my favourite one, which do you like better? And since from time to time I see people including some sort of "Joke" options, I throw in the rap sampled version of the song

However, I like the original one because it's got the original orchestrations and the drums are really wonderful (actually, I'm not really sure if this song feature real orchestrations or they were done on keyboards). I like the original 70's live versions because they add some nice sounding guitars that are lacking (or barely audible) on the original version. I like the Unledded version because that one certainly has a string ensamble playing on the song, and it's got a bit more variation, and also has some nice guitars, but I don't like that we get a bit less of the main theme (which contradicts my liking it to have more variation, actually), and I'm not sure about the drumming, the 70's ones have some killer powerful drumming, here it's replaced by some ethnic drumming that gives it a different feel. The version of celebration day is the heaviest on the use of guitar, which also sounds great, and some of the melodies have sounds like being played by a chuch organ instead of a string enssamble. Which one I prefer, I'm not yet sure.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 22:20
The original. But that Unledded version is really amazing too - as is the entire album and project. Weirdly enough, I was in a period in which I finally *got* Zeppelin, was deeply into their music, when that Unledded project came out of nowhere. It was everything I wanted it to be at the time, and more. A really great album.

Edited by jude111 - February 10 2015 at 22:23
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 22:26
Yeah, I really love the unledded album too. Amazing versions of all songs, some dramatically re-worked. The only one I didn't really like at all was "No Quarter", which for me was totally destroyed. I wish "Rain Song" had been included on the CD instead of that one.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 23:23
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Yeah, I really love the unledded album too. Amazing versions of all songs, some dramatically re-worked. The only one I didn't really like at all was "No Quarter", which for me was totally destroyed. I wish "Rain Song" had been included on the CD instead of that one.

Really!?! Haha. Even though I love the original version of No Quarter - as well as the live version on The Song Remains the Same - I loved the new version as well. Absolutely perfect, for me, at any rate :-)

Edited by jude111 - February 10 2015 at 23:30
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 00:26
the original studio version

really, puffy daddy? LOL
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 07:18
The live version from the Dixie Dregs?
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 07:38
Original, but also looking foward to "Driving Through Kashmir" which I feel could have some potential of me liking it more.
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
Libor10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 07:59
No need to ask me here. The original one.
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 08:12
Ok, who voted for Puff Daddy. Confused
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 13:05
Original studio gets my vote, but the poll could have also included the excellent cover version by Kevin Gilbert on the Thud bonus disc...
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 13:09
Originally posted by sublime220 sublime220 wrote:

Ok, who voted for Puff Daddy. Confused
Maybe someone who actually prefers it to the Led Zep song
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 13:43
Studio
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 14:41
The Sex Pistols!  Wink  Yes, they really did it on their reunion in the 90s.  Sorry, I don't have any link to it.  In all seriousness, nothing beats the original, yet I voted the Unledded version simply because I like Middle Eastern music a lot and thought they added a new and appropriate dimension to it.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 15:12
original version, but the Knebworth and O2 performances kick ass!
Progrockdude
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 18:17
Shame on you, you left out the Dixie Dregs version on Bring 'Em Back Alive.  I prefer the original, but it's a close second for me.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 21:55
Oh well, I didn't expect this one to be so one-sided (though perhaps I should have expected the original to win from the beginning). However, I thought about including only Led Zeppelin versions, or closely related (as on the Unledded album). The Puff Daddy one I added mainly as a joke, but if I remember well, it's actually related to Zep, since I believe Jimmy Page was somewhat involved with it, he played the guitar, and I believe he actually appeared on the video (though I don't really know how it works about Page playing on the song... if it was actually just sampled from the original, or the music was played again, or what). By the way, I find it rather difficult to choose one of the versions, since I really like them all, and they are all different enough to be enjoyed for their own reasons (Puff Daddy not included, though). However, I guess my favourites would be among the original and the Unledded version, and given the lack of variaty on the voting, I'll be going with the Unledded version.

Edited by Dellinger - February 11 2015 at 22:04
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 22:14
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Really!?! Haha. Even though I love the original version of No Quarter - as well as the live version on The Song Remains the Same - I loved the new version as well. Absolutely perfect, for me, at any rate :-)

Oh well, perhaps I would need to give it a listen again, but I'm not sure I would find anything I didn't before. The original No Quarter is just perfect and wonderful, the Unledded version just sounds like noise, and all the melodies and riffs are buried into it.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 23:06

Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Oh well, perhaps I would need to give it a listen again, but I'm not sure I would find anything I didn't before. The original No Quarter is just perfect and wonderful, the Unledded version just sounds like noise, and all the melodies and riffs are buried into it.

Did you see it as it was originally aired on MTV? That MTV special? 'Cause it looked like it was recorded live, but in the wild. (Or a set, haha.) Here, I found the video of it. Around the 2 min. mark you start to see it, recording in a forest or something. I thought it was a really fantastic opening for the Page/Plant special: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXNfq2mq-hg

Edited by jude111 - February 11 2015 at 23:09
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 05:25
The Puff Daddy version, which adds the groove that the original version tragically lacked.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 10:11
Oh, that would have to be the Godzilla version merely for its shear audacity! Actually, it was laughable, but Page gave it some pedigree by playing on it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>