Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGeorg Voros (South Africa) for Symphonic Prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Georg Voros (South Africa) for Symphonic Prog
    Posted: February 14 2015 at 02:24
Georg Voros began turning heads with his unique brand of drumming in the early 80’s when he became a founder member of cult South African band eVoid.
In the years to follow he has worked with an award winning UK band and nominated for a Mercury Music Prize ‘Best Album’ Award.
“Very original thinking!!!” – Lee Nicholas, Also Eden
“Well done mate!” – Gary o’ Toole, Steve Hackett, Re-Genesis

Georg is a composer and releases his first solo album 'Bach to Me' in 2013 which is a rework of J.S. Bach's Brandeburg Concerto no. 1. The album features a re-arrangement of Bach's work and sits mainly in the Prog Rock genre with influences that include ELP, Yes and Focus. Georg will also include on this album Bach's Trio Sonata 3rd movement and a counterpoint drum solo focused track dedicated to J.S. Bach who is one of Georg's all-time favourite classical composers. 2014 sees Georg releasing his second album and which is already fully written. The album will feature all original compositions except one track which a re-work of Brahm's 'Hungarian dance no.2 which is a dedication to Georg's Hungarian roots.

Georg Voros image
Georg Voros in action

Georg Voros is currently based in South Africa and one of the country’s most accomplished drummers, teachers and clinicians. He is also an author with his books being read around the world by musicians and non-musicians.

With a wealth of international experience he has worked with signed bands achieving chart success, toured and recorded with notable artists, and performed at drum events with drummers such as Jojo Mayer, Dom Famularo, Marco Minnemann, Vusi Khumalo (Paul Simon) and Barry van Zyl (Johnny Clegg). He established ‘Georg Voros School of Drumming’ in 2004 which is highly regarded as one of the premier drum teaching facilities in South Africa.

Georg began turning heads with his unique brand of drumming in the early 80’s when he became a founder member of cult South African band ‘eVoid’. This was Georg’s first experience in constructing his own original drum parts and proved to be a highly inspirational period. In 2007 Georg was invited to record the eVoid album “Graffiti Lounge’ in London.

The years following the early eVoid experience were interestingly varied and after working with award winning South African solo artist Neill Solomon, Georg departed for the UK. This fruitful move resulted in him being presented with a ‘Best Group’ award while with a top British country act, playing on Black Star Liner’s album ‘Bengali Bantam Youth Experience’ nominated for a Mercury Music Prize ‘Best Album’ Award and working with Nashville country artist and Grammy nominee Gail Davies. Around this time Georg also worked with many musicians and producers with associations to artists such as: Tom Jones, Vanessa Mae, Level 42, Evelyn Glennie, Tom Robinson, Osibisa, Go West, Albert Lee and Duran Duran amongst others.

In 1995 Georg released his first book ‘Rhythm of the Head’. Endorsed by drummers such as Carl Palmer, Bill Bruford, Steve White, Gary Husband and Virgil Donati this inspirational work has positively affected many drummers around the world. The book has found a new audience when it was recently updated with new content and the Foreword contributed by Global Drumming Ambassador Dom Famularo. Georg is once again motivating drummers and other artists with his new book ‘Creating Performance Excellence’ available from www.bigdrum Publishing.

In 2010 Georg was approached by top Californian based sound engineer Rob Gainey to contribute toward his book ‘Rockin Your Stage Sound’. Georg contributed Pro Tips and a specially composed Foreword. The book features great info supplied by artists, producers and engineers who have worked with the likes of Stevie Wonder, Aerosmith, Frank Zappa, Asia, Great White, etc.

Important links:

http://www.georgvoros.com/

https://soundcloud.com/georg-voros

http://georgvoros.bandcamp.com/album/bach-to-me

https://www.facebook.com/georg.voros

Edited by Komandant Shamal - February 14 2015 at 02:35
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 16:03
We will check him, even when the album sounds like Classical Music played in Rock style rather than Prog.

It reminds me of Joy by The Ventures.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - February 15 2015 at 16:03

GeorgVoros View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2015 at 17:21
Hi Ivan, thanks for the interest in my album Bach to Me. I note that you mention that it sounds more like Classical Rock rather than Prog and that you compare it to Joy by the Ventures. I must ask... have you listened to the whole album or just the first track? The first track 'Joy of man's desiring' on my album is the 'pop' track in the sense that I wanted it to be the most accessible for more mainstream radio. After this track it is pure Prog especially the 3rd track 'For Johann'. If you would like to listen to more of the album I invite you to check out a special preview page on the album site. This page is exclusively by invite only and not listed for the general public. The link is www.bachtome.com/preview

I hope you like what you hear and would be interested in what you think.

Cheers
Georg Voros (Bach to Me album creator)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2015 at 20:16
Originally posted by GeorgVoros GeorgVoros wrote:

Hi Ivan, thanks for the interest in my album Bach to Me. I note that you mention that it sounds more like Classical Rock rather than Prog and that you compare it to Joy by the Ventures. I must ask... have you listened to the whole album or just the first track? The first track 'Joy of man's desiring' on my album is the 'pop' track in the sense that I wanted it to be the most accessible for more mainstream radio. After this track it is pure Prog especially the 3rd track 'For Johann'. If you would like to listen to more of the album I invite you to check out a special preview page on the album site. This page is exclusively by invite only and not listed for the general public. The link is www.bachtome.com/preview

I hope you like what you hear and would be interested in what you think.

Cheers
Georg Voros (Bach to Me album creator)

Hi George, I have heard your album in Bandcamp (Would never give an opinion without listening more than a song) .

For example

- Jesu.... Is clearly Classical Rock with a hint of ELP
- Trio Sonata: Has clear similarities with Joy by The Ventures
- For Johan: Is a melancholic piece with many Prog elements (Some even Jazzy), but one song is not enough according o the guidelines
- Brandemburg Concerto (1st Movement) is even more similar in style.
- 2nd Movement reminds me of Wendy Carlos, even when more majestic
- 3rd Movement starts again with hints of The Nice, but then morphs into some sort of a Hard Rock version of Bach.
- 4th Movement: Again reminds me of The Ventures 

IMHO it's not Prog (At least not Symphonic), neither it's POP (Never mentioned that word), said it's Classical Music played in Rock style.

In the same way as Wendy Carlos plays Moog based Rock, but hasn't been included here.

Keep Rockin'

Iván

Loved the album, I'm a fan of Joy.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - August 26 2015 at 02:16

O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2015 at 02:57
I have a question. a Musician decide to make a Prog music or make his/her fav music and this music may be Prog?! 
GeorgVoros View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2015 at 06:53
Hi Ivan

Thanks for the quick reply and taking the time to list a short review of the individual tracks. I see your reasoning and agree. :) I'm not too precious about the albums music to be unrealistic and stubborn.  I am happy that you recognized the underlying Prog element in For Johann as that track was recorded with a different approach. I do slightly disagree about the second track Trio Sonata as I think it has many Prog elements as well and hints more towards ELP than the Ventures - but that is the wonderful thing about opinions as they are personal. I respect what you have said. Yes, the rest of the album is more Classical Rock with perhaps some Prog elements here and there.

For Johann by the way is just me and Duncan Mackay and will be the general direction of a collaborative album that we begin work on very soon. When this is released I look forward to what you think about it. 

Thanks again for being objective and real.

Keep well.
Georg
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2015 at 11:43
Originally posted by GeorgVoros GeorgVoros wrote:

Hi Ivan

Thanks for the quick reply and taking the time to list a short review of the individual tracks. I see your reasoning and agree. :) I'm not too precious about the albums music to be unrealistic and stubborn.  I am happy that you recognized the underlying Prog element in For Johann as that track was recorded with a different approach. I do slightly disagree about the second track Trio Sonata as I think it has many Prog elements as well and hints more towards ELP than the Ventures - but that is the wonderful thing about opinions as they are personal. I respect what you have said. Yes, the rest of the album is more Classical Rock with perhaps some Prog elements here and there.

For Johann by the way is just me and Duncan Mackay and will be the general direction of a collaborative album that we begin work on very soon. When this is released I look forward to what you think about it. 

Thanks again for being objective and real.

Keep well.
Georg

Thinking it well, the album may reach Prog Related for the participation of Duncan who is in Symphonic.

For Johan doesn't have underlying Prog elements, it's a 100% Prog song, but in order to add a band or artist, we need at least one full Prog album.

The problem is that it's very hard to take a Classical * piece and make it sound Prog, few bands did it well like ELP and The Nice or The Pink Mice...For Johan is a piece of your's and you seem to work more comfortably with it.

Good luck, if you want your album to be added to Prog Related, please tell me and I will sponsor it and make a case before the Administrator's Team.

But if you're about to release one new album, better listen it first and it may qualify as Symphonic or Crossover, Genesis is a good example, they started with a 60's Pop album and look at what they did later.

Cheers

Iván

* How I hate that Classical tag for Bach or Wagner, being that Classical is only a period between 1730 and 1820, maybe English speakers should have another term for Baroque, Romantic, etc as we do, we call it "Musica Selecta".

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - August 26 2015 at 11:44

Post Reply Post Reply