Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStormcock: Roy Harper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stormcock: Roy Harper
    Posted: February 18 2015 at 16:35
Stormcock is considered Harper's magnum opus. I've always had mixed feelings about the album as I feel two of the songs needed to be edited down. Still, to many it's his high watermark. What do you think of Stormcock?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 18:03
It's my favorite Harper and all time top 20 for me. I find it's the best balance of his Rock & Folk tendencies. HQ is probably second for me.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 18:16
I like it but then I'm a Harper fan . It's not my favorite but to be honest I'm not sure what my favorite album is by Roy....of the older ones I like Flat Baroque, Lifemask, and Once.....but Green Man which came out in 2001 is really really good.
I was fortunate to see him twice in the early 90's when he toured Chicago and played a small Irish club called the Abbey Pub. Our group of 6 or 7 even got our picture taken as a group with Roy and he signed our cd's and albums after the show. A very nice man....generous with his time- very friendly and very funny.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 20:58
Classic.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 21:14
Incredibly good album. One of the greatest acoustic albums of all time. And then throw in Jimmy Page as well.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2015 at 09:54
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I like it but then I'm a Harper fan . It's not my favorite but to be honest I'm not sure what my favorite album is by Roy....of the older ones I like Flat Baroque, Lifemask, and Once.....but Green Man which came out in 2001 is really really good.
I was fortunate to see him twice in the early 90's when he toured Chicago and played a small Irish club called the Abbey Pub. Our group of 6 or 7 even got our picture taken as a group with Roy and he signed our cd's and albums after the show. A very nice man....generous with his time- very friendly and very funny.
I know you are a big fan Doc as am I. Have you checked out Songs of Love and Loss, as well as his latest Man or Myth?
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2015 at 10:04
The only Roy Harper album I've heard. Brilliant album. Maybe I should explore more of his work.
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2015 at 10:05
^By all means, please do! We only pass his way once in this life.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 07:29
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I know you are a big fan Doc as am I. Have you checked out Songs of Love and Loss, as well as his latest Man or Myth?

Haven't heard Songs...but it's a compilation and I have most of his actual albums.....I have heard some of the tracks from Man and Myth online and eventually will order it.
I do have two live  things already .... Flashes and Unhinged...
Smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 11:02
Hi,

Gosh ... I think I have about 15 of his albums ... and there are a couple of them that I treasure deeply ... Unknown Soldier, Jugula +4 and When the Cricketeer hits the Crease (Headquarters), One of These Days in England ...

All 4 of these are way out of the tree in my book and I have always loved, specially, The Game in all its parts, VERY LOUD. And I mean VERY LOUD!

Edited by moshkito - February 22 2015 at 11:14
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2015 at 10:57

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Haven't heard Songs...but it's a compilation and I have most of his actual albums.....I have heard some of the tracks from Man and Myth online and eventually will order it.
I do have two live  things already .... Flashes and Unhinged...
Smile
I friend of mine "lost" the copy of Unhinged I lent him. Guess I'll just download. Great live album!
 Post Reply Post Reply