Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Can the early 70s prog sound be cloned nowadays?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCan the early 70s prog sound be cloned nowadays?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
cleardot View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can the early 70s prog sound be cloned nowadays?
    Posted: May 29 2015 at 09:50
The label 4AD has a lot of artists who aren't 'cloning' the 70s but have their own progressive tendencies, St Vincent is a good example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbOm0qYUfiY

Dead Can Dance's 1988 album The Serpent's Egg is another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1O1jPmXd4c

Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2015 at 09:47
Originally posted by Big Ears Big Ears wrote:

Ozric Tentacles capture the essence of seventies progressive rock while sounding modern. They have been more successful in updating the sound of the seventies bands than some of those surviving originals (no names mentioned!).

I second that - they have achieved that rather unique position but never got the recognition they deserved due to uncompromising anti-commercial stance, bless 'em.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2015 at 06:36
I think that the band ASTRA have done this successfully
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2015 at 05:18
Ozric Tentacles capture the essence of seventies progressive rock while sounding modern. They have been more successful in updating the sound of the seventies bands than some of those surviving originals (no names mentioned!).
Daniele Spadavecchia View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 13:58
Smurph, prog will always rule as a big influence and inspiration on many courageous music experiments.Beer
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 13:57
Svetonio I agree, the upper class has become synonym with freedom and New Age following expensive gurus , alternative therapies and esoteric cultures. I guess the middle and lower classes don't have any more time to experiment with life been poorer having to work harder, or they had been dumbed enough with food and cheap culture not to care!Wacko
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 12:20
Originally posted by Daniele Spadavecchia Daniele Spadavecchia wrote:

Whatever we are experiencing, I would love to see how this is reflected in the musical and artistic world. For example, how would the prog influenced musician express the present condition with his art?

By making insane combinations of genres that bend outside the confines of things. This is because 95% of music in modern times, maybe even more than that, is within some sort of strict cage. Those that truly experiment are usually the ones influenced by prog in one way or another. Even non-prog bands that are definitely experimental in their nature are usually influenced by other progressive minded artists.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 11:55
Originally posted by Daniele Spadavecchia Daniele Spadavecchia wrote:

You can watch Jimi Hendrix playing Woodstock comfortably sitting on your couch. (...) But will you really catch that glimpse of freedom and togetherness that was living in that time passing the joint, dancing naked, making love, accepting each other, creating a counterculture? (...)
Perhaps only members of the upper class, and it will be the biggest (perhaps the crucial) difference from "classic era" when the members of the middle class were (also) able to do it; I mean, that somebody is to  live that "new age" really.

Edited by Svetonio - April 29 2015 at 11:58
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 10:49
I subscribe to creating a personal sound using personal experiences as a starting point for prog rock, but you also have to consider social, collective cultural experiences and the technology of today.

If you grew up in the 70's and listened to prog rock all day, then it is expectable that you will use it as a tool to express yourself, plus whatever you learned as an artist later on. This is what artists have done for centuries: they learned from their masters and added a little bit of their own pushing the envelope further.

Today though, we have a problem in the artistic world: with computer digital duplication, we are able to copy anything we want quickly and -alas- superficially.
You can watch Jimi Hendrix playing Woodstock comfortably sitting on your couch. As a musician you can easily start to imitate him, especially because there are tons of instructional books and videos as this is the information age. You can buy similar instruments, clothes and frequent hyppie-clone wanna be groups of enthusiasts. But will you really catch that glimpse of freedom and togetherness that was living in that time passing the joint, dancing naked, making love, accepting each other, creating a counterculture?

In addition, the musicians who took part in the genesis and golden period of prog rock came mainly from two musical backgrounds:
-60's rock/blues "beat generation"
-classical music
They used a combination of these two ingredients to express that typical sense of musical exploration, surrealism, modernism, etc together with cultural romanticism and psychological archetypal themes.

That was the culture in the 70's and if you grew up then or were adult already, you know what I am talking about. There was still a sense of new artistic exploration in all branches like painting, writing, theater, dance, cinema and music.

Today, our culture is more about technology gadgets and information. We are also more divided, being culturally fragmented in many little niches and enclaves. Is it total individual freedom or the death of social identity?

Whatever we are experiencing, I would love to see how this is reflected in the musical and artistic world. For example, how would the prog influenced musician express the present condition with his art?

Edited by Daniele Spadavecchia - April 29 2015 at 10:52
FallingEdge1 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2015 at 21:18
While I think it can be done, I doubt it will - most bands are going to want to get known for their own sound; in prog especially uniqueness is a high priority.
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2015 at 03:36
Oh yes Astra of course, The Black Chord is one of my favourite "modern" prog albums!!

I heard Wolf People, I remember they have a good retro sound that's right but I need to hear their music again...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2015 at 03:32
Originally posted by Anaon Anaon wrote:

Well, if you're talking about neo-prog in general, I find the sound of these bands, let's say IQ, Pendragon or Arena, to be among the furthest to 70's sound mainly because the reverb used on drums or the sound of guitars... It's a pity because I love many albums from those bands but I hate that sound so much!

Anglagard is a very good example of 70's sound cloning, and I believe they record analog (as Opeth recently I believe), but there is also Wobbler. I think they really succeed to clone the 70's prog sound and it's mainly because of their huge knowledge of the genre! If you watched their Youtube making of videos, you'll see what I mean, they work on the sound of the snare to get close to King Crimson or searching for the sound of the toms of some Italian prog rock album.

And they used real vintage instruments like the famouse Rickenbacker 4001 bass (Chris Squire, Geddy Lee, Mike Rutherford...) or all the famous vintage keyboards...

I know it's not very innovative but I just love this sound so much, I'm trying to get that sound not because it's hype or anything but just because I love this sound, how music was mixed in the 70's, how the snare sounded, the lack of reverb, etc... Wink

By the way, Steven Wilson uses Mellotron but it's not enough to make it sounds vintage in my opinion, his sound is quite modern and very clean. I like it as well though Smile

Yep indeed and I also mentioned Astra earlier in the thread who are good at creating that retro sound through analog recording.
You might also be interested in a band called Wolf People who have probably the most retro sound I've heard, They are not as 'proggy' as those bands you mention (although enough to be on PA) but they really do sound like they could have been plucked straight out of an early seventies rock festival.
I also agree about Steven Wilson. Sort of retro modern mix.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2015 at 19:09
Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you said "droned."  
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2015 at 03:55
Well, if you're talking about neo-prog in general, I find the sound of these bands, let's say IQ, Pendragon or Arena, to be among the furthest to 70's sound mainly because the reverb used on drums or the sound of guitars... It's a pity because I love many albums from those bands but I hate that sound so much!

Anglagard is a very good example of 70's sound cloning, and I believe they record analog (as Opeth recently I believe), but there is also Wobbler. I think they really succeed to clone the 70's prog sound and it's mainly because of their huge knowledge of the genre! If you watched their Youtube making of videos, you'll see what I mean, they work on the sound of the snare to get close to King Crimson or searching for the sound of the toms of some Italian prog rock album.

And they used real vintage instruments like the famouse Rickenbacker 4001 bass (Chris Squire, Geddy Lee, Mike Rutherford...) or all the famous vintage keyboards...

I know it's not very innovative but I just love this sound so much, I'm trying to get that sound not because it's hype or anything but just because I love this sound, how music was mixed in the 70's, how the snare sounded, the lack of reverb, etc... Wink

By the way, Steven Wilson uses Mellotron but it's not enough to make it sounds vintage in my opinion, his sound is quite modern and very clean. I like it as well though Smile
The Sloth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 11:55
That makes perfect sense, Dean. My imagination went right into science fiction mode when I read about the program.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 10:25
Yeah, it has, and several of my favorite bands (Opeth and Pain of Salvation namely) have made drastically worse music since they started looking to the 70s for inspiration.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 09:46
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

The program does not "have ideas", it is not sentient, it is not intelligent and it is not creative. It is an algorithm that follows a complex set of rules. 

In other words, she's a "clone" ... but not one that will be given any attention any time soon!
Of course that depends upon your definition of "clone". I take a perhaps more rigid definition than many are applying here, in that a clone must be a 100% facsimile of the original in every respect so that it is impossible to tell them apart, by that definition the program-suite is not a true clone in the same way that an actor playing the role of Richard III is not a clone of the original Tricky Dicky but merely someone interpreting the character-algorithm (dialogue, stage direction etc.,) created by Bill Tremblestick some 420 years earlier. 
What?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 09:25
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

The program does not "have ideas", it is not sentient, it is not intelligent and it is not creative. It is an algorithm that follows a complex set of rules. 

In other words, she's a "clone" ... but not one that will be given any attention any time soon!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 09:05
^ Well said.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 05:44
The recent biopic of Alan Turing is called "The Imitation Game", its title comes from a game where players have to decide the gender of a human respondent by a series of written questions, this he later developed into the Turing Test for machine intelligence, or more accurately the perception of machine intelligence, since the machines involved were imitating human intelligence rather than achieving intelligence. The key difference between the Turing Test and 'Emily Howell' is the interaction between the human interrogator and computer respondent. 'Emily Howell' does not respond to audience interrogation, it is merely imitating a human composer and the audience is passive in this scenario.

Originally posted by The Sloth The Sloth wrote:

Have you read Computer Models of Musical Creativity? Just out of curiosity. They say "she" has her own style in the article I read. ... It's just interesting to think of a composer with a sharper memory, or the ability to weed out music that is recycled unknowingly by humans all the time, for example.
I haven't read it, but bearing in mind that it was written by Emily's creator David Cope, then any assessment or conclusion he draws regarding "its" creativity and style is inherently biased, as is any assessment we can draw from reading it. This bias also appears in the published works that the program has produced since Cope has selected pieces for general release and in doing so he is part of the creative process that he created. 

I should point out that while I have been calling "Emily Howell" an algorithm and a program, it is in reality a suite of algorithms that follow predefined rule-sets and analytical processes. How much human intervention is involved is unknown since even that intervention process can be automated following yet more rule-sets and those intervention rule-sets are merely replicating an IF ... THEN ... ELSE construct that the human would apply as the result of a particular analysis. For example there would be rule-sets for resolving a 'wrong-note', and, as you say, to weed out recycled music. Application of those intervention rule-sets are themselves subject to intervention processes that again can be automated following yet more rule-sets. With time and more analysis the program-suite could even determine which pieces to release and which to discard based upon whatever criteria Cope himself uses when choosing 'Emily Howell' pieces for the pubic to hear. 

In observing the creation process in a band environment I can recall several occasions where a riff was discarded because it sounded "too much like Slayer" or "too much like Maiden", the creation process is as much about discarding as it is about inventing and all composers apply rule-sets of this kind, whether they are aware of them or not.

[Unlike infinite monkeys producing the entire works of Shakespeare where one wrong word in a monologue results in failure of the entire piece ("To be or not too be"), a 'wrong note' is not only acceptable, it is, from a pseudo-creativity perspective, desirable.]

The program-suite began as a style-imitator, and that is what it still does, albeit in imitation of a style that can be called "her" own that has resulted from the development process. That development process is wholly human since the 'Emily' program suite can only create musical notes, it cannot create algorithms or write computer code. The program suite has been created to compose classical music, it cannot create a pop song because the rules for a pop song have not been coded into the algorithms. 

I can use dice to create music. The roll of a die can be used to select a note, another to select note-length and thus a sequence of notes can be created, and since those dice rolls are random it will sound random and musically unsatisfactory. To make it sound more musical I can apply rules to each roll that are determined by the previous roll or rolls, for example I can limit the palette of notes to a particular musical scale and then determine which of those to pick based upon the preceding note using very simple rules of harmony and rhythm. Now the creation of note-sequences appears to be analytical because it is no longer purely random, yet no actual analysis is involved, it is still a sequential process of placing one note after another. The more rules I apply the more a distinct style will develop, but that style is decided by the rules I create, not by the random sequence of dice rolls. I have automated the creation process but not the creativity process. The more rules that come into play the less random and automaton the piece becomes, but it is still a pseudo-organic mimicry, and these rules are not unique to this algorithm, they are the same rule-sets that any human composer would employ when composing, even when improvising. [We've discussed improvisation several times before and although some people will claim some instinctive, metaphysical or mystical processes are involved during free-form improv., rules are still being applied, albeit instinctively or subconsciously. Improv. is not created without knowledge and experience of music and playing an instrument.]

While personally I shy away from purely automated music composition and note-sequence creation, I have composed music based upon predetermined rule-sets, for example Metamorph is composed from a simple 10-note pentatonic melody where only one note was permitted to change in each bar.

Originally posted by The Sloth The Sloth wrote:

...Music is created out of experience, ability, memory, and the climate of the creator's life at the time of the creation...
This is pivotal. A computer algorithm cannot call upon this wealth of non-musical experience. A program cannot read an article in a newspaper and then compose a piece of music based upon its reaction to that text unless an imitation of that emotional experience is coded into the program suite. 

For example Steven Wilson's latest album (Hand.Cannot.Erase) was produced as a result of a real-life event that was the subject of a TV documentary, for a computer program suite to create such a work the human emotional baggage that triggered his reaction has to be analysed and coded since it cannot create such a response itself.

Edited by Dean - March 01 2015 at 05:58
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>