FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Genesis Look at Themselves" Interview

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2005 at 16:38
Originally posted by Sir Hogweed Sir Hogweed wrote:

How would the interview after CAS have been?

Tony: We never cared much for Phil. He was quite a loser who didn't know anything about music and we had to tell him his stuff all the time.

Mike: (laughs) Yeah, what an untalented douchebag he was. I felt so relieved when he finally got the message and left. Just like the thing with... I've forgotten their names.

Tony: Yeah, the two of us wrote 99% of the material anyway. We could have been so much more succesful if we had dropped them all right away.

I don't normally say this but: LOLOLOLOLOL

How about:

Tony: Finally Phil left. Then we got some guy in to sing some stuff that me and Mike wrote by ourselves...What was his name again?

Mike: Erm...Anthony Philips or something?

Tony: Something like that, yeah. Or wasn't that our old singer?

Mike: Doesn't matter really. It may have taken nearly 30 years but we managed to shake off the deadweights, and do what we love doing without hindrance.

Tony: Even though nobody likes us any more...

Mike: Shut it. They'll learn.

I'm so prog, I clap in 9/8
Sir Hogweed View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2005 at 16:45
Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2005 at 20:34

Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

can someone please answer my question?

Well, I hope so... !

In October 1982 there was a concert to help Peter Gabriel to earn money for him to pay for the WOMAD Festival that he organized. He lost a lot of money, it seems. So, he asked Collins-Banks-Rutherford to play with him in a one-off concert. The band was in the last dates of their "Three Sides Live Encore Tour". They finished the tour (with Chester Thompson and Daryl Stuermer) and they (the trio plus Thompson and Stuermer)   rehearsed a bit with Gabriel. It is not clear to me if Hackett was invited. But I also read an interview with Hackett on which he said that he was in Brazil at that time, and that his father called him there to  tell  him  the news about the "Reunion Concert". So, Hackett travelled to England and only played in the Encores ("I know what I like" and a short version of "The Knife") with Peter & the band. There is a book called "Genesis, from One Fan to Another", with photos by Armando Gallo. There are photos of that concert, with Steve playing on stage with them and smiling with Mike while playing.There is another photo, a "Backstage Photo" I think, on which the musicians are celebrating the success of the concert with a cake and some drinks. Steve and Peter are together, on one side of the photo, and in the other side are Tony Smith (cutting the cake),  B-C-R and Stuermer. There is also another photo of Steve chating with Daryl.

In February of 1983, Hackett invited Gabriel and Rutherford to play some songs during one of Hackett`s concerts.

In one interview, Hackett also said that he respected Banks as a musician but that he never considered him as a close friend.

In 1998, there was a "Reunion Photo" at London`s Heathrow Airport (is it the right  name of the Airport?) of  several members of the band (Hackett, Gabriel, Rutherford, Phillips, Banks, Collins and John Silver). It was at the time of the release of the "Archives 1967-75" Boxed Set. They are all  smiling in the photo.

In September 2000, two or three months after Rutherford and Banks fired Ray Wilson, they played a short concert with Collins and Stuermer (a semi-acoustic concert) to celebrate that Tony Smith won an award in England as manager. Gabriel appears with them in one photo on stage, but he didn`t sing with them.

I don`t know if they are only "Business Partners" and if they only have "apparent good relations" for this reason.

Edited by Guillermo
Avatar: Photo of Solar Eclipse, Mexico City, July 1991. A great experience to see. Maybe once in a lifetime.
Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2005 at 20:40
Originally posted by Publius Publius wrote:

Originally posted by Sir Hogweed Sir Hogweed wrote:

How would the interview after CAS have been?

Tony: We never cared much for Phil. He was quite a loser who didn't know anything about music and we had to tell him his stuff all the time.

Mike: (laughs) Yeah, what an untalented douchebag he was. I felt so relieved when he finally got the message and left. Just like the thing with... I've forgotten their names.

Tony: Yeah, the two of us wrote 99% of the material anyway. We could have been so much more succesful if we had dropped them all right away.

I don't normally say this but: LOLOLOLOLOL

How about:

Tony: Finally Phil left. Then we got some guy in to sing some stuff that me and Mike wrote by ourselves...What was his name again?

Mike: Erm...Anthony Philips or something?

Tony: Something like that, yeah. Or wasn't that our old singer?

Mike: Doesn't matter really. It may have taken nearly 30 years but we managed to shake off the deadweights, and do what we love doing without hindrance.

Tony: Even though nobody likes us any more...

Mike: Shut it. They'll learn.

Avatar: Photo of Solar Eclipse, Mexico City, July 1991. A great experience to see. Maybe once in a lifetime.
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2005 at 20:47
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2005 at 20:48
Thanks for the interview link, BTW
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2005 at 21:56

Originally posted by Bj-1 Bj-1 wrote:

Thanks for the interview link, BTW

It`s good that you and other persons liked this interview.

Edited by Guillermo
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2005 at 17:23

I thought one comment by Tony Banks spoke volumes of the realtionship with Steve Hackett. When speaking about Foxtrot he said:

"The way it turned out gathers momentum and has a very strong overall mood, which makes it our most successful song from those early days. I'm less fond of "Can-Utility and the Coastliners"

If I remember right this was Steve Hackett's song. I also think it intersting that they thought they could do nothing with any of Steve's songs that became Please Don't Touch.  I thought there were a few that would have been good starts to Genesis songs. 

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2005 at 17:59
Yeah, and on 'Selling England...' some of the members wanted to cut 'After The Ordeal' which was a Steve Hackett showpiece, but then again I think I read Peter Gabriel wasn't too sure about the instrumental section of 'The Cinema Show'...
gdub411 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2005 at 18:17

Wow, after reading that, I no longer think Collins is the evil little monster. I would place that title on the shoulders of the very arrogant Banks and Rutherford. I love the way they completely downplayed Hackett's contribution to the band. The way they make him sound, one would have thought he was just a notch above a session musician.

I can now see why Gabriel and Hackett left as I am sure they could see these 2 guys were a couple of arrogant SOB's. Well perhaps we can guage the truly talented ones by who had the better solo careers. Hands down, that would go to Peter and Steve.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2005 at 18:17
Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

I thought one comment by Tony Banks spoke volumes of the realtionship with Steve Hackett. When speaking about Foxtrot he said:

"The way it turned out gathers momentum and has a very strong overall mood, which makes it our most successful song from those early days. I'm less fond of "Can-Utility and the Coastliners"

If I remember right this was Steve Hackett's song. I also think it intersting that they thought they could do nothing with any of Steve's songs that became Please Don't Touch.  I thought there were a few that would have been good starts to Genesis songs. 

Ah, Can-Utility was Hackett's song. That explains a lot since I've allways loved that song and Tony seems to want to bring it down. He also mentions The Return Of The Giant H. in a quite negative way. Was that also a Hackett song? Or Seven Stones? (which I also like).

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2005 at 18:30
Originally posted by gdub411 gdub411 wrote:

Wow, after reading that, I no longer think Collins is the evil little monster. I would place that title on the shoulders of the very arrogant Banks and Rutherford. I love the way they completely downplayed Hackett's contribution to the band. The way they make him sound, one would have thought he was just a notch above a session musician.

I can now see why Gabriel and Hackett left as I am sure they could see these 2 guys were a couple of arrogant SOB's. Well perhaps we can guage the truly talented ones by who had the better solo careers. Hands down, that would go to Peter and Steve.

I also hated Phil for quite some time as the sole destroyer of Genesis, but this interview gave me some new insights. Thanks Guillermo!

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2005 at 18:53
And if ever a band needed to take a good look at themselves it's this bunch of sleep inducing nonces.
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2005 at 19:15

Hackett's solo output is far better than anything Genesis released after W&W IMO.
Denigrating a fellow band members contribution shows a lack of integrity and class.

Of course it is Hackett and Gabriel who maintained their musical integrity and Banks,Rutherford and The Poison Dwarf who sold out....

Fearless View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2005 at 22:37
[QUOTE=Sir Hogweed

Ah, Can-Utility was Hackett's song. That explains a lot since I've allways loved that song and Tony seems to want to bring it down. He also mentions The Return Of The Giant H. in a quite negative way. Was that also a Hackett song? Or Seven Stones? (which I also like).

I believe that Hogweed was a Gabriel composition, and Seven Stones was Banks.  I don't think Hackett had anything to do with either of these songs, because he was new (Banks mentions that the material was written before Steve joined the band).  Hogweed is historically important, because it contains the first recorded "hammering" from Steve Hackett on the intro.  Perhaps this is why Banks doesn't like it.

Edited by Fearless
If you don't stand up
You don't stand a chance!
Fearless View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2005 at 22:43
Originally posted by gdub411 gdub411 wrote:

This probably has something to do with Phil, Tony, and Mike's comments.  They could've been jealous of Steve's solo success, so they downplay his role in Genesis because they are proud, and too stubborn to admit that Steve was a crucial element in their band.  This is even more evident in the case of Peter- they were tired of playing behind his shadow.

It's been a while since this interview though, and P, T, and M have probably changed their attitude by now.

If you don't stand up
You don't stand a chance!
Yanns View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2005 at 22:53

Great interview.

And yes, I don't like the mentality of the three of them about Steve leaving.

But, other than that, they are good guys.

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2005 at 08:16

I didn't realise that all the guitar work on Nursery Cryme was written by some no-namer short lived guitarist.
Funny that that's my favourite Genesis album, often because of the guitar bits then
erlenst View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2005 at 10:04
Originally posted by goose goose wrote:

I didn't realise that all the guitar work on Nursery Cryme was written by some no-namer short lived guitarist.
Funny that that's my favourite Genesis album, often because of the guitar bits then

Quite strange. The chords to musical box was in fact written by Antony Phillips in 1969, and can be heard on Archive Collection, Volume 1.

"Genesis fans will be amazed at the content of a 1969 demo recording called "F Sharp," in which the passage that later became the opening section of "The Musical Box" from Nursery Cryme shows up"

Clips can be downloaded here.
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:4hjx7i31 g74r

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2005 at 10:54
Especially The Musical Box, as well!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>