Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why isn't prog as successful as metal as an indus
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy isn't prog as successful as metal as an indus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 13:14
^ Ermm  And what artistic genre does not have it's snobs? Snobs are a part of life and the people that defend them, you are excluded as you're pretty broad minded, are usually snobs themselves. Exclusivity is the cause of most metal vs. prog vs. whatever debates.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 13:54
Aww right now I do not care who is right or wrong, Davesax is a nice person and for him stating he is thinking of leaving, we instead of saying I wish you well or farewell we should soften up, try to be nicer and less dismissive thus more considerate to other people's feelings, after all the main purpose we all got here together is  music and this experience should be fun, great fun! A great escape and a wonderful; experience to share between us all. Big hug to you all Hug.   
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 14:04
^Sonia, it is great to have you back hugging. I have missed it.

Normally, I would agree with you wholeheartedly. However, I got the impression that Mr Davesax was threatening to up and leave just because people do not conform with his view of the world. He might be a nice person, but that sort of attitude is hardly going to gain a lot of sympathy.

BTW, this post was made on the basis of reading just a couple of pages of the thread. If I am mistaken in my understanding of the situation, then I will happily apologise.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 14:11
See Davesax's reason for leaving:
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

To be quite honest with you, I'd prefer to be on a prog rock forum where people are actually into the music, rather than a forum which also incorporates..... heavy metal. I do not *hate* heavy metal. But I don't consider it appropriate to have heavy metallers coming on a forum which is about different music and defending themselves.

He doesn't claim to have been harrassed or bullied here. He just doesn't like people defending metal.

Most comments since have been pretty considerate, I think.

Edited by Polymorphia - March 30 2015 at 14:12
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 14:18
Well, just when I thought I'd seen it all... Somebody wanting his/her presence to be erased from a forum just because other members like a genre he/she dislikes Confused. This kind of intolerance really does nothing to improve progressive rock's reputation.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 14:48
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

^Sonia, it is great to have you back hugging. I have missed it.

Normally, I would agree with you wholeheartedly. However, I got the impression that Mr Davesax was threatening to up and leave just because people do not conform with his view of the world. He might be a nice person, but that sort of attitude is hardly going to gain a lot of sympathy.

BTW, this post was made on the basis of reading just a couple of pages of the thread. If I am mistaken in my understanding of the situation, then I will happily apologise.

Lazland Smile mhwoaahhxxxx plus big hug Hugthank you and more Hug
What you said is true however I think Davesax had a bad day I think because I never read anything negative from him prior to this. I am sure he will realize later today and regret what he said. We all have bad days, I do, too many hehehe and sometimes the next day I am embarrassed too LOL another hug Hug 
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 14:52
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

See Davesax's reason for leaving:
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

To be quite honest with you, I'd prefer to be on a prog rock forum where people are actually into the music, rather than a forum which also incorporates..... heavy metal. I do not *hate* heavy metal. But I don't consider it appropriate to have heavy metallers coming on a forum which is about different music and defending themselves.

He doesn't claim to have been harrassed or bullied here. He just doesn't like people defending metal.

Most comments since have been pretty considerate, I think.

Hello Polymorphia Smile
Yes, I think he had a bad day, we all do sometimes and say things we later regret too, I do that often and bah next day it sucks Confused although I mostly tend to hug strangers hugs Hug
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 15:04
Let's get back to the OP you guys (that is if there are any takers)

Originally posted by desistindo desistindo wrote:

I wonder why in the metal world every year you see a dozen os albums "praise as wonderful" while in the prog scene is hard to find the same sense of expectation. By wich means would you attribute that?
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 15:09
This is about as Metal as I will go and it's fantastic too! Opeth too are fab yay! Pain Of Salvation - ! (Foreward) Live [Ending Themes DVD]   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpK5JaJ_96E
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 18:51
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Gee wiz, just as this thread was starting to get interesting. Evil Smile

Edited by SteveG - March 30 2015 at 18:51
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 19:47
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Gee wiz, just as this thread was starting to get interesting. Evil Smile
I am all for the main topic to continue, however considering that I am a nincompoop and a happy one I might add, besides stars etc, I still have no idea what Indus means or stands for on here? Confused
Group hug Hug
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 00:27
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

I am all for the main topic to continue, however considering that I am a nincompoop and a happy one I might add, besides stars etc, I still have no idea what Indus means or stands for on here? Confused
Group hug Hug
As two people have already said: it's "Industry" - the thread title got truncated to 50 characters when David corrected the spelleng misteak - probably because he was using his phone to access the forum. Geek
What?
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 01:56
Metal is a fad. Fads are always popular but most people are way too simply pleased when it comes to music. Melodically metal is terrible
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 01:57
Hi folks, no, I can confirm I've told the admins that I have left the forum and will not be posting here again. This is absolutely my last post. 

Simply put, I honestly do not think that heavy metal threads on a prog rock forum are appropriate. Obviously some people are going to have contrary views - to say the least - but I was under the impression that I'd joined a prog rock forum, as the title suggests. There are plenty of other heavy metal forums on the net. Should I go on one of them and talk about Genesis, I would expect a similar response. And deservedly so. 

Not a case of me throwing Teddy out of the pram or leaving due to one thread, it's a combination of several factors. I came here to talk about prog rock with likeminded people. 

As a PS, I do agree with Dean's comments in his last post - in the main - but I wasn't referring to musical complexity but musical *worth*. 

All the best 
Dave

Edited by Davesax1965 - March 31 2015 at 02:01

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 02:02
Bye Dave. All the best.
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 02:04
Allright then Dave goodbye.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 02:06
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Group hug Hug
As two people have already said: it's "<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Industry" - the thread title got truncated to 50 characters when David corrected the spelleng misteak - probably because he was using his phone to access the forum. Geek</span>

Yep, right on the money Dean (he says still using his useless phone).

- Douglas Adams
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 02:12
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Metal is a fad. Fads are always popular but most people are way too simply pleased when it comes to music. Melodically metal is terrible
Cricky, a 40+year long fad... if only my home-made music was a fad I'd be quid's in. Shocked
What?
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 04:08
What the hell just happened over the last couple pages? This forum's community really confuses me at times. For the most part, it's the calmest and most mature online community devoted to music discussion I've ever encountered... yet, when a flamewar erupts it's over a topic I find extremely unlikely to inspire something like this.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 08:37
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

What the hell just happened over the last couple pages? This forum's community really confuses me at times. For the most part, it's the calmest and most mature online community devoted to music discussion I've ever encountered... yet, when a flamewar erupts it's over a topic I find extremely unlikely to inspire something like this.

Jim Morrison said it best:  "People are strange"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>