Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Musical Box (Genesis tribute), 7 March 2015
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Musical Box (Genesis tribute), 7 March 2015

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Musical Box (Genesis tribute), 7 March 2015
    Posted: March 08 2015 at 01:16
I had the pleasure to attend a very fine "The Musical Box" concert at the historic Arcada Theater in St. Charles, Illinois USA tonight!

The Musical Box are a Canadian professional tribute band performing the music of Gabriel-era Genesis.  Their shows are built around one of the albums, and additional material is often interspersed or played as an encore. Tonight's show was their "Foxtrot" show, the previous night's was "Selling England" (which I missed due to financial constraints!).

For the uninitiated, The Musical Box attempt to recreate the stage feel and appearance of Gabriel-era Genesis shows to the greatest extent possible.  Authentic instruments (Mellotron, Rickenbacker guitars etc.) are used, and each member is an expert in performing his role to visually and sonically portray the actual band. 

Tonight's set list included: 

• Watcher of the Skies 
  • Get 'Em Out By Friday
  • Supper's Ready
  • The Musical Box
  • The Knife
  • Return of the Giant Hogweed
The band did two encores, including "The Fountain of Salmacis" and "Can and the Utility Coastliners."  Missing from the LP "Foxtrot" were "Time Table" and "Horizons." 

It was an amazing show!  As a guitarist/bass guitarist, I appreciate the effort that goes into playing this repertoire, and they did this beautifully.  Keys and percussion also gave an excellent and faithful performance, and the lead vocalist eerily captured the energy and humor of a young Peter Gabriel. 

This was my second Musical Box concert (I saw "The Lamb" a few years ago), and they never disappoint!  

The band's website is http://themusicalbox.net/ 

Edited by cstack3 - March 08 2015 at 01:19
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 10:10
I've seen them twice - first doing the SEBTP-era set list, then doing the Lamb. I have to say that both performances were incredibly vital (I never saw the PG Genesis in person, so I won't claim authenticity), and worlds better than the Genesis concert I attended in the Orange Bowl in 1986.
Thanks for the review! I would love to see a performance of that set list.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 14:21
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I've seen them twice - first doing the SEBTP-era set list, then doing the Lamb. I have to say that both performances were incredibly vital (I never saw the PG Genesis in person, so I won't claim authenticity), and worlds better than the Genesis concert I attended in the Orange Bowl in 1986.
Thanks for the review! I would love to see a performance of that set list.

Thanks for the comment!  Former band members rave about TMB, and even assisted them with their performance of "The Lamb" by providing surviving slide-projector art slides etc. 

Steve Hackett says:  “I cannot imagine that you could have a better tribute for any act. They not only manage to sound, but look virtually identical.”

More Genesis comments on the website:

The stage setup looked EXACTLY like this, amazing!  

Edited by cstack3 - March 08 2015 at 14:35
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 20:06
Haven't yet seen Foxtrot (they rarely do this one) but saw SEBTP at least 10 times and Lamb twice.

Always Exceeeeeeellent!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 08:51
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Haven't yet seen Foxtrot (they rarely do this one) but saw SEBTP at least 10 times and Lamb twice.

Always Exceeeeeeellent!

Their performance of "Supper's Ready" was drop-dead amazing!  

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2015 at 09:21
Thanks for the review, Chuck! This confirms the good things I have heard about "The Musical Box", and the great rep they have. Cheers!
 Post Reply Post Reply