Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedELP Humour

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 01:27
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

It's humorous to me that Keith Emerson was the subject of a People magazine article in the '90s(?).

you might like to let other people in on the joke (?)

People is the #1 fluff pop culture rag in the US. Basically, if you're in it, it means you possess some sort of relevance to the current popular scene, so assume an issue can't go by without a K*rd*sh**n mention, or twenty-odd related pics. LOL
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 07:09
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

I remember discussing 'Love Beach' on the back seat of the bus going to college and one of the punks piped up 'ELP is to your lot wot the Boomtown Rats are to our lot'!  I thought that was quite funny - and true (at the time).

An English perspective that bellows out to be explained to this unwitting American. All I really know about the latter is that the incident providing the subject of its tune "I Don't Like Mondays" occurred just a few miles northwest of my ma's home in San Diego, Calif. Educate me.
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 07:18
Sorry about the cultural specifics.  Punk, in this case, meaning a follower of the Sex Pistols, The Clash, etc.  The Boomtown Rats started life posturing as a 'punk band' before they started getting hit singles so the punk movement rejected them in the same way, he assumed, that the prog community rejected ELP.  Many punks at that time hid their admiration for all things prog to avoid disdain from their peers - Capt. Sensible (The Damned) turned out to be a huge fan of Egg, for example.

Hope this clarifies!
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 09:56
Gracias, kind sir.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 01:50
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

It's humorous to me that Keith Emerson was the subject of a People magazine article in the '90s(?).

you might like to let other people in on the joke (?)

People is the #1 fluff pop culture rag in the US. Basically, if you're in it, it means you possess some sort of relevance to the current popular scene, so assume an issue can't go by without a K*rd*sh**n mention, or twenty-odd related pics. LOL

ok that explains itLOL
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 01:54

Sorry about the cultural specifics.  Punk, in this case, meaning a follower of the Sex Pistols, The Clash, etc.  The Boomtown Rats started life posturing as a 'punk band' before they started getting hit singles so the punk movement rejected them in the same way, he assumed, that the prog community rejected ELP.  Many punks at that time hid their admiration for all things prog to avoid disdain from their peers - Capt. Sensible (The Damned) turned out to be a huge fan of Egg, for example.

Hope this clarifies!

We could do with a thread comparing prog bands to punk bands in this way. I would love to know who was the punk equivalent of Gentle Giant for instance.Big smile
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 05:05
Seem to remember Sham 69 as being thought the biggest "sell out" by the Punks I was at school with for having hit singles and appearing unironically on Top of the Pops. I would consider the Stranglers as a kind of Punk equivalent to ELP, technically superior to much of the competition and widely reviled within their own 'community'. When I heard Magazine I thought they sounded like Greenslade on mogadons, sort of a Prog band with the handbrake on. Genesis are The Clash because they both had posh boys in them. Evil Smile

Edited by Cactus Choir - April 10 2015 at 05:51
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 06:19
Yes, music was more tribal back then.  I actually bought 'Grip' by The Stranglers when it came out - and a friend pointed out that it reminded him of 'Camembert Electrique'!  I wonder what happened to the cred of Sham 69 when Hillage made his famous guest appearance with them at the Reading fest?  I recall stage being invaded by skinheads, etc.
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 07:04
I can remember reading about Sham 69 being bottled off stage at Reading.

The Stranglers keyboardist Dave Greenfield was a reformed progger who wore a cape (!) on stage in their early days. He got the bassist Jean-Jacques Burnel into The Land of Grey and Pink by Caravan, so there was definitely some Prog influence in there. I went to see them on their UK tour this year and they did a version  Walk On By complete with lengthy prog-style keyboard solo. No wonder the hardcore Punks hated them! LOL
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 08:15
I always liked their version of 'Walk on By' - perhaps it belongs on best pop-prog song on the other thread?  A lot of proggers during that period claimed to have burnt their albums to embrace punk, but many returned after it was OK to like prog again!  I was reading about how Siouxie (of the Banshees) is a big Magma fan - the list goes on.  As for Danny 'Sniffin Glue' Baker - world's biggest ELP fan (just trying to bring the thread back again!)
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 08:49

As for Danny 'Sniffin Glue' Baker - world's biggest ELP fan (just trying to bring the thread back again!)
I thought that was Jim Davidson?
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 09:57
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Now, why should this warrant a mention in this thread you may ask... well... it's one of the strangest tour programmes I've ever seen...

I've found a pdf of it on the interwebs for all to read: www.timstinchcombe.co.uk/synth/broch/elp_300dpi.pdf

This is priceless !! I've never seen anything like it. I have to agree with some of the above posts that the band mates themselves must have had a great sense of humour to put this out. Anyone have more of this type of stuff?

Actually, it reminds me of the newspaper that came with Thick As A Brick (which was, of course, a parody of prog concept albums).

I doubt very much ELP took themselves all that seriously.  I mean, what band could take an album cover like Tarkus seriously?  Wink
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 11:25
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

As for Danny 'Sniffin Glue' Baker - world's biggest ELP fan (just trying to bring the thread back again!)

Baker is as well, he wrote the gushing sleevenotes to the 'High Voltage' compilation!
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 13:15
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Now, why should this warrant a mention in this thread you may ask... well... it's one of the strangest tour programmes I've ever seen...

I've found a pdf of it on the interwebs for all to read: www.timstinchcombe.co.uk/synth/broch/elp_300dpi.pdf

This is priceless !! I've never seen anything like it. I have to agree with some of the above posts that the band mates themselves must have had a great sense of humour to put this out. Anyone have more of this type of stuff?

Actually, it reminds me of the newspaper that came with Thick As A Brick (which was, of course, a parody of prog concept albums).

I doubt very much ELP took themselves all that seriously.  I mean, what band could take an album cover like Tarkus seriously?  Wink

I dunno, the same band that takes an album cover from The Yes Album seriously?? I mean really! At least Tarkus is typical fantasy art work of the era. The Yes Album...What's the floating head about?
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2015 at 02:39

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Baker is as well, he wrote the gushing sleevenotes to the 'High Voltage' compilation!

Tangerine Dream are another favourite of his

I listened to his appearance on desert island discs hoping he would pick some prog rock but annoyingly he stuck to just music that he grew up with (sixties mainly) and completely avoided anything from the 'modern' era (post 1969). Interesting chap , he doesn't believe in saving money for a rainy day. When he's short he just asks his mate Chris Evans for a loan!
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2015 at 09:03
Originally posted by Cactus Choir Cactus Choir wrote:

I can remember reading about Sham 69 being bottled off stage at Reading.

The Stranglers keyboardist Dave Greenfield was a reformed progger who wore a cape (!) on stage in their early days. He got the bassist Jean-Jacques Burnel into The Land of Grey and Pink by Caravan, so there was definitely some Prog influence in there. I went to see them on their UK tour this year and they did a version  Walk On By complete with lengthy prog-style keyboard solo. No wonder the hardcore Punks hated them! LOL
yes the stranglers where no well  two of the band members where progger`s Greenflied/Burnel LOL
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234