Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPeter Gabriel's Early Solo Career

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Peter Gabriel's Early Solo Career
    Posted: March 22 2015 at 15:13
I've been obsessed with Peter Gabriel's string of self-titled albums recently, and having just played along on guitar to his debut ("Car"), I've noticed how incredibly well-written his music is. If like me, you know about theory and love it when people break the rules but manage to keep it sounding great/even better, I guarantee you'll be surprised by looking at the chords and effortless modulations on his debut in particular.

Anyway, his early career on the whole is often overlooked and there's lots of variety and fantastic songs in there to be found/revisited. Even his weaker sophomore release ("Scratch") has some killer tracks and should get more appreciation on PA. Of course, most of us love his 3rd album ("Melt"), for whatever reasons. However, I rarely hear about tunes like "I Don't Remember" and "Not One Of Us" which I'd consider up there with the others. "Security" is also overloaded with some very intricate and hypnotic patterns, plus catchy songs like "Shock The Monkey" and more lyrical moments e.g. "Wallflower". 

Basically what I'm asking is how highly do you rank his 70s/early 80s solo output (in comparison with what Genesis were doing at the time)? Why? And what were your favourite tracks from this period?

Thanks for any feedback Smile
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2015 at 15:24
I am one of those "heretics" who think that Gabriel's solo output is vastly superior to his career with Genesis - especially starting from his third album ("Melt"). However, I think his masterpiece is his fourth album ("Security"), which contains my all-time favourite PG song (and possibly his best performance as a singer), the stunning "San Jacinto", as well as the mesmerizing "The Family and the Fishing Net". I was lucky to see him live in London after the album was released, and it was one of those experience that cannot be easily forgotten.  As to comparing these two albums with Genesis, there is simply no comparison from my point of view.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2015 at 15:42
Those first four solo albums - heck, add So and Passion to the equation, too - really outstripped what Genesis was doing at the time. Genesis did well, but Gabriel was flying over the moon.

And I've mentioned it once, I'll mention it again: Collins, after drumming on [Melt], remarked that it felt like Gabriel had been saving all his best material and ideas for his solo albums.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2015 at 23:02
I'm among the minority here that rather dislikes Gabriel's singing... as well as his lyrics, on Genesis (though I really love the music from many of their songs), so I have not been particularly excited about checking out his solo stuff. However, I do have heard some of his songs, including some from his first album, as well as some shared on face book. However, I was not particularly impressed by them either and dindn't encourage me to change my mind. However, I also heard some songs from his 3rd album, and I believe that is one I might like... so whenever I'm ready to get a bit from him I shall start with that album. I'm also interested in getting his first live album, as well as Passion.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 02:41
I believe Gabriel's first album is underappreciated. Every track is different and the lyrics are as caustic as ever. Where else are you going to find 'Barber Shop' on a prog album? ( someone will tell me no doubt). Gabriel didn't completely abandon symphonic prog with Down The Dolce Vita showing he could write a bombastic loud tune better than anything Genesis ever did. Slowburn is the most underrated Gabriel track. Much of the album has a Spectorish fuzzy quality because of the production. I guess that alienates a few and might be some of the cause of negativity. I would happily though put this up against any Genesis album post 1975. After that Gabriel was searching for his 'voice' to some extent. Perhaps he found that with Melt adopting a harsh post punk approach and not letting Collins use his symbols! Yep it has some great tracks but the icey coldness is a bit off putting for me. I don't know if I will ever love that album.
Some of the later stuff is okay especially Us and recently I purchased Up ( what is with these 2 letter titles .. so bloody confusing!!) . Those are way better than anything Genesis were doing at the time ( The Way We Walk and Calling All Stations don't offer much competition though)

Edited by richardh - March 23 2015 at 02:41
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 04:09
One and Four  are the very best of his solo output. Magnificent LPs, imo. Also, there are his two stunning soundracks for Birdy  andThe Last Temptation of Chirst the movies.

Edited by Svetonio - March 23 2015 at 04:13
Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 04:14
I'm not a great fan of Car, it's very over produced and schmultzy to me. The best song on it- Here Comes The Flood- is done better on Fripp's Exposure, and aside from that Solsbury Hill is the remaining highlight.

Melt is very clever and has a unique, cold atmosphere, but in the end I still reach for So, pop perfection.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 05:20
I love his solo's. From PG1 - US. All equally relevant to me, although very diffrent. Car possibly the weakest but with many lovely tracks.
I wont compare to Genesis, I find that irrelevant, to the quality of PG's albums.

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 07:42
I love the four of them although like most people it seems, I find Scratch the weakest by a good margin. Melt and Security being my favourite, but Car is also great. It can not be compared to Genesis, neither pre nor post Peter's departure. It must have been one of the sharpest sudden shifts of style by a successful Prog musician, and while completely different to the music which brought him to fame, he managed to make some very interesting and Progressive music, in a way which was novel. I do not know how good a musician-instrumentalist was he at the time, sure enough he had always played flute but, perhaps mistakenly, at the time of his departure I thought he would have it hard writing solo music as I thought he was probably not very good at playing piano, guitar or other main rock instruments, but somehow he managed to do it.

The 'Plays Live' album was a great way of closing that 4-album cycle, The Rhythm Of The Heat and San Jacinto are killer performances.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 08:19
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

The 'Plays Live' album was a great way of closing that 4-album cycle, The Rhythm Of The Heat and San Jacinto are killer performances.
Saw them live at the tour, was one of the best live shows i'we ever seen. 
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
The Sloth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 16:04
I think his first album is his best. I don't care for the Hugh Padgham production of his later stuff. I know people think the first one is over-produced, but the 70's warmth is there, and the material is the most varied.
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 16:41
The first album definitely showcases PG's vocal talents best.  The best album of them is undoubtedly 3.  2 is sadly substandard.  In comparison with genesis, 1, 3 and 4 compare favorably with what genesis was doing at the time without being better.  
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 23:39
I like his first three solo albums the best....I had the 2nd and 3rd when they came out and they were very exciting musically at the time.  
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 07:24
Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

2 is sadly substandard.  

I wasn't mad keen on PG2 when it first came out but over the last few years it's grown on me quite a bit, although the production on it isn't great.
Overall, PG4 is probably my favourite, particularly "Wallflower".
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 07:27
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

2 is sadly substandard.  

I wasn't mad keen on PG2 when it first came out but over the last few years it's grown on me quite a bit, although the production on it isn't great.
Overall, PG4 is probably my favourite, particularly "Wallflower".
I`m with you chopper on this topic...
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 01:18
Security is his best. Family and the Fishing Net is the best track on that. There're no weak tracks on the album. I can't figure out why I Have the Touch was not a big huge hit - strange. I love Passion, but I only listen to side 1. Put that that together with Family and the Fishing Net and you have PG's unique twist on old Genesis style arrangements.

I like Melt too, like most people. I also like parts of Scratch. I agree it's weak, but I find it endearing for whatever reason. Mother of Violence was especially nice.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 19:37
Melt and Security is pretty strong stuff and, yes, the best was yet to come.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 21:13
I must admit that I loved each and every one of these four albums in discussion--each in their own peculiar way. The first for the diversity and power. (Kiss Producer Bob Ezrin! Come on!) For "Moribund the Burgemeister." For "Excuse Me." For "Humdrum." For "La Dolce Vita." For "Slowburn." For "Waiting for the Big One." Today, this is my favorite of the four.
     The second album I loved for coming out in the middle of the peak of my obsession with Robert Fripp (though I had quite errantly assumed the AMAZING pedal steel guitar solo on "White Shadow" was Sir Robert's. It wasn't. It was Sid McGinnis--now 30 year vet of Paul Schaffer's Late Nite Band on David Letterman. I know. I sat 15 feet away from him performing it live [on his lap] in November of 1978 in Nancy, France.) For "Mother of Violence." For "Perspective." For one of the versions of "Exposure." For "White Shadow." For Tony Levin's Chapman Stick.
     The third album I loved more intellectually--for the amazingly unusual choice of restraining his drummers (mostly Phil Collins) from using their cymbals. For the Fairlight CMI. For the Linn Drum Machine. For the invention of the "gated Drum" phenomenon. For the presence of Kate Bush. For "Biko." For "I Don't Remember." For "Intruder."  
     I was obsessed with "Security" for about a year after it came out--attended concerts on the tour on three separate occasions. I was so into the W.O.M.A.D. album and movement. The amazing opener, "The Rhythm of the Heat"--The amazing presence of the Ghanaian Ekome Dance Company drummers. The amazing tribute to Lech Walesa (who was released from prison within weeks of the album's release.) For the sad story behind "Shock the Monkey" (his wife's informing him that she wanted a divorce.) The incredible evolution and presence of Stickman Tony Levin. For "Lay Your Hands on Me." For "I Have the Touch." For the joyful "Kiss of Life." For the beautiful tribute to Native Americans on "San Jacinto." Somehow this album has waned in my esteem over time. Perhaps I over obsessed in 1982. (I even owned the Deutsches Album).

As for my comparison with same era Genesis--I cannot. The two were occupying two different universes for me. Voyage of the Acolyte, A Trick of the Tail, Wind and Wuthering, Seconds Out, Naminanu, Brand X, were all fantastic . Even Duke and ABACAB were well loved by me. (And Then There Were Three... took years for me to give a chance and appreciate. I loved them all as they came out. BUT only A Trick of the Tail gets any attention from me today.

A Trick of the Tail, "Car" and a few other individual songs from the others are all I go back to now.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2015 at 19:46

Pretty much everything BrufordFreak said.  I guess I still like “Car” the best, mainly because I found it the easiest and fastest to warm up to.

A bit of seemingly-forgotten trivia: the first thing credited to PG solo wasn’t “Car” but his cover of Strawberry Fields Forever, on the “All This and World War II” soundtrack.

Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2015 at 19:57
Car and Melt are his best, followed by So and Security.

And like Raff, I also believe Gabriel's solo material outstrips his work with Genesis.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>