Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe new one?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The new one?
    Posted: March 23 2015 at 08:27
Who do you feel is the new and modern Anyone's Daughter, Novalis, and Eloy? I'm looking for a modern german(or any nationality) band that carries on the symphonic and space prog genre that they have created and if if some can recommend some good albums I would appreciate it. 
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 08:30
I don't have much expertise in the area of German bands, but I think that this band called RPWL that's from 1997. They released an album in 2014, so pretty recent. 
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=298

They started out as a PF cover band, maybe some spacey vibe I suppose?

Edited by aglasshouse - March 23 2015 at 08:31
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 08:33
Hi there

I took the liberty of moving your thread to prog recommendationsSmile

Oh and you may have better luck with a title that reflects what you're looking for. Maybe "Searching for modern Symph in the vein of Novalis, Eloy and Anyone's Daughter" or something to that effect.

Btw, I noticed you didn't include Grobschnitt in your OP. I'd think they fitted in here like a fine moustache on Zappa's face.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
freudiana View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 08:34
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

I don't have much expertise in the area of German bands, but I think that this band called RPWL that's from 1997. They released an album in 2014, so pretty recent. 
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=298

They started out as a PF cover band, maybe some spacey vibe I suppose?

I've heard of them, but they sound too much like modern floyd. I wouldn't really consider them spacey. The bands I was referring to have an influence of mid floyd, genesis, and krautrock.
freudiana View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 08:36
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Hi there

Oh and you may have better luck with a title that reflects what you're looking for. Maybe "Searching for modern Symph in the vein of Novalis, Eloy and Anyone's Daughter" or something to that effect.

Btw, I noticed you didn't include Grobschnitt in your OP. I'd think they fitted in here like a fine moustache on Zappa's face.

Thanks!

But I wouldn't consider Grobschnitt a modern band.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 08:39
Originally posted by freudiana freudiana wrote:

I've heard of them, but they sound too much like modern floyd. I wouldn't really consider them spacey. The bands I was referring to have an influence of mid floyd, genesis, and krautrock.

Eh, I tried. Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 08:42

Hi there

Thanks!

But I wouldn't consider Grobschnitt a modern band.

Me neither. I was just making sure that you'd heard of themSmile

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 08:42
^Happy 15000 Clap
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 08:45
LOL
Thanks.

I've been waiting for my '15000 Points Free fellatio' for a while. 

- Douglas Adams
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 08:47

LOL
Thanks.

We get those???!  Shocked
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 08:52
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

LOL
Thanks.

We get those???!  Shocked

Foxes not includedStern Smile

Oh and before I derail this thread even more I'll derail it a teenie tiny bit (hoho). I know you're asking for modern bands, but seeing as the band Amenophis almost always gets overlooked for their contemporaries Anyone's Daughter, I thought I'd run em by you just in case you didn't know them. Their sound is pretty much exactly what you're asking for. A cross breed between AD, Eloy and Novalis.

- Douglas Adams
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 01:54
Probably doesn't really match the exact style being looked for, but check out this band from Münster:

http://ysma.bandcamp.com/album/fourth-wall
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 03:41
I'd like to recommend the German artist Henny Arvé. http://melodicrevolutiondistribution.com/album/be-on-a-razors-edge

released 08 August 2008

ARVE is the current project of talented musician Henny Arvé (Composer, Arranger, Producer, Brain).He been making music since the early 70s, though released his debut album titled On The First Sight  in 2000. 

released 16 February 2000

Henny Arve´ -   Keyboards ,Orchestration ,Bass and Drums

Helmut Lilbob - Lead Vocals ,Electric and Accustic Guitars            

Edited by Svetonio - March 24 2015 at 03:47
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 15:01
Good question.  A band like Novalis is hard to find. They really had a lot of class.  Hoelderlin who were contemporaries released an album recently.  When you listen to some of the modern bands that people used for answers to your questions, you can hear the influences of recent years that came up in their music, while it seems Novalis had a more straight somber, classical feeling.  I hear like Windham Hill or similar "smooth jazz," the "circus music" vibe, some later King Crimson, in some bands people are mentioning, even some metal.  When I get discouraged by looking for answers to similar questions I just focus on classical music  Smile
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 15:13
Anyone's Daughter and Eloy are among my very favorite bands, and there's plenty of Novalis I like too, so I have spent a good deal of time searching for more bands like them.  I will be sure to check out Arve and Ysma.

I will mention contemporaries of these bands in case you don't know them.  Amenophis has already been mentioned and their self titled debut from 1983 definitely fits.  Others - feel free to check out my reviews on these:

Minotaurus (1978)
Epidaurus (1977)
Tibet (1977 I think)
Troya (1975)
Dice (German band formed in 1970s but most albums are post 1997.  very spacey and accessible.  I recommend most of the albums from 1997 to 2010)
Flaming Bess (like an instrumental anyone's Daughter, started around 1980 and still around.  The first couple are most recommended.  They even have narration like "Piktors Verwandlungen")
Ines (keyboard player with hired vocalists, one of whom was Harald Bareth of AD, which is the main reason I mention her  - "Hunting the Fox" is pretty good)
Madison Dyke (1977) - pretty much a sure think if you like Eloy
Mythos (obviously an old group, but their album Dreamlab is close in feel to ELOY's "Inside")
Pell Mell (1970s German band) - not precisely what you are looking for but more in the category of "if you like this, you might like that".  Their first, "Marburg" is probably the closest to that sound, but "Rhapsody" and "Only a Star" are great, just perhaps a bit light and classical in nature
Poor Genetic Material - modern German group fronted by the Phil Griffiths, the son of the singer from Beggars Opera.  They are an appealing mix of styles, with plenty of spacey thrown in.  I might recommend "Spring" and "Leap into Fall" first for you
Tempus Fugit - a Brazilian band I know, but you gotta at least check out "Tales from a Forgotten  World" which has Eloy phrasings a la "Planets" in some of the instrumental parts
Zomby Woof (1977) a must pick up for you!
Traumhaus - their first album a lot like AD but I admit I; am not crazy about them

Edited by kenethlevine - March 24 2015 at 15:16
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 20:03
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Am I the only one who's reminded of Asia when looking at the band name on the cover?

Probably.
freudiana View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 22:34
Thanks a lot guys! I have another question. Are there any good modern bands that blend classical music with progressive rock like in the progressive metal, symphonic prog, and eclectic prog genre? I'm looking for a few bands that play with instruments like the flute, bassoon, oboe, clarinet, violin, viola, cello, mellotron, hammond organ, church organ, piano, pipe organ, gong, tympani, clavinet, moog synthesizer, (acoustic, electrric, and twelve-string guitars), (fretless and rickenbacker bass guitar) warr guitar, chapman stick, saxophone, and xylophone. You know interesting music. I know about Anglagard and the like. 
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 02:40

Thanks a lot guys! I have another question. Are there any good modern bands that blend classical music with progressive rock like in the progressive metal, symphonic prog, and eclectic prog genre? I'm looking for a few bands that play with instruments like the flute, bassoon, oboe, clarinet, violin, viola, cello, mellotron, hammond organ, church organ, piano, pipe organ, gong, tympani, clavinet, moog synthesizer, (acoustic, electrric, and twelve-string guitars), (fretless and rickenbacker bass guitar) warr guitar, chapman stick, saxophone, and xylophone. You know interesting music. I know about Anglagard and the like. 
I'm sure that you will not be dissapointed if I recommend to you the Russian Symphonic rock band called Little Tragedies and their Новый Фауст  ("New Faust") the album from 2006.

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 03:06

Try this instrumental Ukrainian band called Silent Grace, they are really great and undoubtedly prog. Actually, I was suggested them for the Prog Archives' Eclectic prog section in April 2014, but I'm afraid that this good suggestion is shamelessly ignored by the staff; anyway, here's my suggestion thread where you'll find all what you need - the bandcamp link for their debut album Through The Years released in 2013, live youtube vids and a short bio: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=97790

Natalia Kolesnik

Edited by Svetonio - March 26 2015 at 03:14
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 06:26
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

I was suggested them for the Prog Archives' Eclectic prog section in April 2014, but I'm afraid that this good suggestion is shamelessly ignored by the staff; 

Uncalled for criticism there. Has it ever occurred to you that the teams may be too busy to deal with your endless deluge of suggestions? They're all volunteers with other lives.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>