Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPaul Shapera for Eclectic Prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paul Shapera for Eclectic Prog
    Posted: March 24 2015 at 08:10
I've got a couple of his albums from bandcamp and honestly think he should be on this site. His music has a quirky quality and a few have linked storyline. He even had a box set out last December for his steampunk opera series.

I google him up and didn't find his work in any popular prog-related sites, but perhaps I havent spend enough time looking. He even tags his own music with progressive rock. In an interview with him at this site http://reggielutz.blogspot.com/2013/03/meet-composer-paul-shapera.html, he admitted to being influenced by the likes of Pink Floyd, Genesis, Marillion, Sondheim and Lloyd Webber.

I understand he plays all the instruments himself in 20+ albums (some should be considered EP rather than LP) but not much that i've heard feature lots of drummings. I think he may not have huge production budget for live drums - but I am not sure.

From his bandcamp page, the most popular album is the Dolls of New Albion, A Steampunk Opera (full album can be streamed), which is the first of three or four (I lost count) of these steampunk series. He even managed to stage a show from this story, as shown in this blog 

His first album that I listened to is called Fairy Tales for the Lost and Wandering, features lyrics with alternate spoken/sung words, quite minimal in scale and very lovely. Again full album can be streamed from the link.

Just to be clear, I am not representing him or his band. Just a fan, who is frustrated as I cannot find much of his info on my favorite sites. And I think he deserves a break after working on all that number of albums.

Edited by terryl - March 24 2015 at 08:12
And who are we to justify the right in all we do
Until we seek, until we find Ammonia Avenue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrmJ39j58W0
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 11:12
Hi thereSmile

I've been listening to a couple of his albums and while there definitely are some elaborate parts to his music, I'm still struggling to find the prog. 
Could you perhaps point me, or anyone else for that matter, in the right direction - ie which album of his is the most prog-like?
Thanks.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply