FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRoyal Philharmonic plays Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2015 at 07:19
Leaves me cold to be honest.

Orchestral re-workings of rock music don't really do it for me generally. Personal taste.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2015 at 08:17
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Orchestral re-workings of rock music don't really do it for me generally. Personal taste.

I think it depends. When you hear Caravan and the New Sinfonia, you realize that the rock instruments CAN mix with an orchestra and work very well. The main problem with rock music, or jazz music, is that too much of it is centered about one instrument, or star, and all of a sudden the rest of the work is not as important ... and I think that hurts the music in the end, although I think that eventually, the star part will disappear and the music be considered one piece.

Some things work ... a couple of the pieces Michael Kamen did with a few rock bands were actually alright and made Queensryche sound and look better than they really were (check out the other triple threat thread on PA!!!) ... but it did showcase a very nice piece of work, which I think was more about Nyman here than the band itself.

This is a concern, but then, if you tracked the 50's and 60 and 70's, it was all about the "CONDUCTOR" and their differences were quite interesting and far out in its own way. Try listening to the Rite of Spring done by Karajhan and then the one by Bernstein ... it's almost a different experience altogether, and this will happen to rock music, regardless!

Edited by moshkito - April 03 2015 at 08:48
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2015 at 08:35
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I think it depends. When you hear Caravan and the New Sinfonia, you realize that the rock instruments CAN mix with an orchestra and work very well. The main problem with rock music, or jazz music, is that the "star" doesn't want to lose his spot on the limelight.

From the perspective of the 'virtuoso soloist' tradition in Rock this perhaps has a vestige of truth but so much prescient music in modernity eschews this precedent entirely. It's not as if Wagner, Stravinsky, Liszt, Beethoven, Berlioz, Sibelius, Mozart, Brahms, Haydn and Rossini were the epitome of selfless team players who bequeathed their royalties to the musicians union now is it?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2015 at 08:35

The main problem with rock music, or jazz music, is that the "star" doesn't want to lose his spot on the limelight.

Yeah, all those damn rock and jazz stars demanding the spotlight, like Arthur Rubinstein, Jascha Heifetz, Pablo Casals, Segovia and Maria Callas. LOL

Edited by The Dark Elf - April 02 2015 at 08:38
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2015 at 08:48

Some things work ... a couple of the pieces Michael Nyman did with a few rock bands were actually alright and made Queensryche sound and look better than they really were (check out the other triple threat thread on PA!!!) ... but it did showcase a very nice piece of work, which I think was more about Nyman here than the band itself.

Ermm

Ermm Nyman...

Ermm Michael Nyman...

...the English minimalist composer Confused

...who collaborated with Peter Greenaway on those pretentious and arse-numbing art house films Confused

LOL

Or maybe perhaps, just possibly, you might be thinking of Michael Kamen - the geezer who worked with Pink Floyd, Metallica, Sting, Coldplay, Kate Bush and erm... Queensr˙che?

Edited by Dean - April 02 2015 at 08:49
What?
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2015 at 08:58
I'd much rather listen to orchestral music being played by a prog metal band!!! - anybody know of any examples please!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2015 at 09:02
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

I'd much rather listen to orchestral music being played by a prog metal band!!! - anybody know of any examples please!

LOLLOLLOL

P.S. Anything played by the Finnish band Apocalyptica may be what you're looking for.

Edited by The Dark Elf - April 02 2015 at 09:04
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2015 at 09:27

I'm with you there Andy in general. In this case it's not too bad but it's not something I'd listen to more than once or twice. No vocals for a start!
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2015 at 10:11

Same.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2015 at 10:11
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

It's actually quite rare, though the choice of music tends to be predictable.

Therion did a Prog Metal version of Carl Orff's O Fortuna. (yup - that predictable)

Savatage and The Trans Siberian Orchestra (TSO) plunder Mozart, Bach and Beethoven quite a bit though as I recall they don't play entire pieces. Savatage's The Hall Of The Mountain King album uses Grieg's music from Peer Gynt in the opening track Prelude to Madness, which also pinches a note or two from Holst's Mars. 

O Fortuna also crops up on a TSO album (Night Castle) retitled Carmina Burana (presumably for America audiences Wink) ... an album that also features The Flower Duet from Delibes' opera Lakmé but retitled as Child Of The Night and with completely different lyrics (which is a shameful crime in my book).

I once heard an album by a metal band that did a number of classical covers but unfortunately have been unable to remember who they were or what the album was called - It had a version of Holst's Mars on it at a time when Imogen Holst still owned the copyright so perhaps it was pulled.

Edited by Dean - April 02 2015 at 10:12
What?
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2015 at 10:12
I meant - classics like Beethoven's 5th or the planet suite - played by a prog metal band....
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2015 at 12:56
I had a lot of pleasure listening this one, a rock band that plays some classical music in their own way :

Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Lafayette Assburn View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2015 at 13:11
I got rid of the Jethro Tull one.
Very well done and all that, but in the end...rather pointless.

Much rather listen to proggers going symphoprog with their OWN NEW COMPOSITIONS alla:

Oldfield- music of the spheres
Banks
Jon Lord - Gemini Suite,Windows,Sarabande
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2015 at 14:24
The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, founded by the late, great, Sir Thomas Beecham!Thumbs Up

Oddly, though my favourite music is orchestral, I don't really get that enthusiastic about this kind of thing with progressive rock and an orchestra, it doesn't really move me. Just personal taste, I guess.
                 I prefer when a prog band transcribes classical orchestral music and plays it with rock band instruments, like ELP and Triumvirat do sometimes, or lesser knowns like Pell Mell or The Pink Mice.

Edited by presdoug - April 02 2015 at 14:27
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2015 at 14:40
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, founded by the late, great, Sir Thomas Beecham!Thumbs Up

Oddly, though my favourite music is orchestral, I don't really get that enthusiastic about this kind of thing with progressive rock and an orchestra, it doesn't really move me. Just personal taste, I guess.
                 I prefer when a prog band transcribes classical orchestral music and plays it with rock band instruments, like ELP and Triumvirat do sometimes, or lesser knowns like Pell Mell or The Pink Mice.
For a moment there, I thought you were going to post without mentioning Triumvirat. Wink

Edited by chopper - April 02 2015 at 14:41
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2015 at 14:43
^who, me?LOL
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 08:49
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Or maybe perhaps, just possibly, you might be thinking of Michael Kamen - the geezer who worked with Pink Floyd, Metallica, Sting, Coldplay, Kate Bush and erm... Queensr˙che?

Fixed ... accidental mistake.

Perhaps you could be more educated and nice and sent me an email suggesting it be fixed instead of grandstanding your holiness!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 09:02

Perhaps you could be more educated and nice and sent me an email suggesting it be fixed instead of grandstanding your holiness!
I don't even think Voltaire could devise a parody that would encompass the clueless irony of that phrase.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 11:36
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I don't even think Voltaire could devise a parody that would encompass the clueless irony of that phrase.

LOL
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 14:53
^^LOL

But then it wouldn't have been as funny or as entertaining. Tongue

Life lesson #2367: make a misteak and I'll jump on it like a rabid hyaena.
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>