Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe avantgarde's relation to popular music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2015 at 05:04
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Another paradox, of course, is that for music subcultures to maintain their avant-garde role they have to be somewhat exclusive in order to not compromise their founding ideals... they can't be wholly part of the art music world but they also have to maintain some distance from the mainstream. Which can end up in subcultures eating each other up from the inside out of paranoia regarding entryism from either front, see this essay on the very subject written by an electronic/industrial musician. I re-linked it on Facebook and one metal reviewer I know in person ended up agreeeing with it, I think it's a "memetic auto-immune disease" that no subculture is really free from even if it takes different forms in different cultures.
I've never experienced a thread topic with such an extensive (prerequisite) reading list. Shocked

Personally I would prefer to read your thoughts and opinions on this subject rather than trawl through pages of linked articles. Thus far I'm not sure that I know what you think on any of the points raised here.

The paradox you talk of smacks of elitism: 

Edited by Dean - April 13 2015 at 05:06
What?
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2015 at 05:31
For the record, I personally don't believe that music coming from a genre with its own associated cultural movement has to live up to said movement's proclaimed ideals to be enjoyable or even interesting. However, while I haven't identified actively with any subculture for several years I do maintain extensive contact with the metal and punk cultures here in Denmark so I'm well aware that those "mythic ideals" are important to the people maintaining them as the grassroots level as something to strive after. They're what motivate so many musicians, fanzine writers, DIY concert organizers and whatnot to keep going.

I'm also the kind of person who'll listen to Zappa, Krautrock or noise but not Varese, Stockhausen or Branca. Not yet, at least. As for my own commentary on those points buried in the article I just mentioned, I haven't drawn my own conclusions yet or formulated them into a comprehensible form at least, nor do I have time for posting them today. I'll probably get around to doing that tomorrow.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - April 13 2015 at 05:31
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2015 at 05:57
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by jayem jayem wrote:

I have no problem with that. I'd vote for "Erudite music" instead of "Art music" (we'd have to precise whether it's symphonic orchestra geared or rock geared, etc ) and the "Art music" tag  would disappear forever !!

But not all Prog would qualify as erudite. Why not just call it Prog Rock?

Rather than try hammer this square peg into a round hole can someone explain to me WHY it is so important to you that it should fit?

Actually you told it yourself (though I'd rather count of words with the right linguistic meaning rather than on words with no linguistic meaning): it'd make life easier, and we'd spare ourselves complex historical researches when debating it. I also feel it'd bring something fresh on the table.

It makes sense that at times where tons of new confusing genre names appear, some of us may want to find easier ways in naming them.

Don't get me wrong: I've managed to live all those years with "Prog rock" and it hasn't killed me, it even felt magic. If most people enjoy the current ways, I'll be happy for them...

'Inner-directed' is a phrase that is impossible to apply to any piece of music because it is impossible to determine why a piece of music was create or how it will be used by the listener. I call it pretentious bollocks because it is attempting to elevate a form of music into being something it isn't.

An author may not intend to create inner-directed music, yet the music can be inner-directed in itself.

It can be told on both of the pieces of your new album Centaur, that they contain at least partly inner-directed music:

Some parts (complex rythms, dense harmonies) are too attention-focusing to work as background music, or even to enhance dance-like or other activities of the social kind. 
The pieces work into us through feelings, colours, etc that we link to the sounds heard: a kind of voyage is made inside of us. There might be people listening to it around, but each on their own. If one of them comments while the music is on, they interrupt the listening process.

Edited by jayem - April 14 2015 at 04:18
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 04:10

For the record, I personally don't believe that music coming from a genre with its own associated cultural movement has to live up to said movement's proclaimed ideals to be enjoyable or even interesting. However, while I haven't identified actively with any subculture for several years I do maintain extensive contact with the metal and punk cultures here in Denmark so I'm well aware that those "mythic ideals" are important to the people maintaining them as the grassroots level as something to strive after. They're what motivate so many musicians, fanzine writers, DIY concert organizers and whatnot to keep going.
From my experience of metal and goth subcultures in the UK I can't say that I saw any evidence of ideals in use, or any proclamations of what they might be even. Whatever motivates "promoters" of the subculture at grassroots level doesn't seem to follow any mandated ideology or manifesto in any way and certainly the "followers" are following the subculture not the cliques and cadres that form within it. The motivation seems to be "reward" - not necessarily monetary reward (thou' you seldom see any of them giving any profit away), but more often just the satisfaction of making something happen is reward enough.

I'm also the kind of person who'll listen to Zappa, Krautrock or noise but not Varese, Stockhausen or Branca. Not yet, at least. As for my own commentary on those points buried in the article I just mentioned, I haven't drawn my own conclusions yet or formulated them into a comprehensible form at least, nor do I have time for posting them today. I'll probably get around to doing that tomorrow.
I call these are "door openers". Liking Can can (ugh!) open the door to listening to Stockhausen, you may not necessarily like what you hear but it could lead you to explore in other directions, or the experience could allow you to gain a different perspective on the music of Can.

As a fan of music more than I am a follower of particular genres or artists I like these serendipitous explorations into other areas of music and will take every opportunity to open a closed door to take a peek behind. Not every find appeals to me, but once in a while I find something that instantly locks into the musical jigsaw puzzle in my head.

Pointless anecdote #154:

Back in the late 70s David Bowie appeared on a Desert Island Discs type radio programme where he picked pieces of music that had influenced him. Since this was in the middle of his "Berlin Trilogy" some of the records he selected were influences to his current music endeavour. Two of his picks were Danny Kaye (...or it may have been Burl Ives) singing "Inchworm" and "Knee Play 3" from Philip Glass's Einstein on the Beach. Bowie, being Bowie, deliberately chose these two songs to be played consecutively (partly I think to "educate" his listeners), he had seen a connection between them and wanted to share it with the radio audience. [when you see the connection it is an obvious one but no clues: if this thread is to have reading homework and video-listening homework then I can leave finding this connection as homework too]. 

Soon after listening to the broadcast I went out and purchased (a very expensive) copy of Einstein on the Beach (but not, I hasten to add, the soundtrack from "Hans Christian Andersen") and from that moment on became an avid fan of Philip Glass, however the influence of Glass on Bowie seemed superficial at best to me until Glass created the "Low" and "Heroes" Symphonies over a decade later.
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 05:45

I have no problem with that. I'd vote for "Erudite music" instead of "Art music" (we'd have to precise whether it's symphonic orchestra geared or rock geared, etc ) and the "Art music" tag  would disappear forever !!

But not all Prog would qualify as erudite. Why not just call it Prog Rock?

Rather than try hammer this square peg into a round hole can someone explain to me WHY it is so important to you that it should fit?

Actually you told it yourself (though I'd rather count of words with the right linguistic meaning rather than on words with no linguistic meaning): it'd make life easier, and we'd spare ourselves complex historical researches when debating it. I also feel it'd bring something fresh on the table.

It makes sense that at times where tons of new confusing genre names appear, some of us may want to find easier ways in naming them.

Don't get me wrong: I've managed to live all those years with "Prog rock" and it hasn't killed me, it even felt magic. If most people enjoy the current ways, I'll be happy for them...
Personally I dislike these word-meaning exchanges I seem to invariably get suckered into. I think it is distracting and leads to arguments that can never be resolved, however I/we should not misuse noun-phrases that have an accepted academic meaning, such as Art Music. If only to avoid confusion.

I am fully aware that for the majority of people that I discuss things with here English is a second language and that (believe it or not) can put them at an advantage in that they have been taught the language it whereas I picked it up as I went along. I failed my English Language and Literature exams at school, so discussing meanings and semantics is as more an education for me than anything. Where I (believe I) have the advantage is in the more idiomatic meanings of English words and phrases, because one thing I have noticed, is it is sometimes difficult to separate the literal and non-literal meanings of phrases, especially when a phrase is transliterated into another language (rather than being translated). 

[There is another problem and that is words get lost in translation: for example it seems that "mile-stone" got translated into 'Yugoslavian' as "cornerstone"... which is odd because both words exist separately in the Slavic languages and their counterpart translations have the same different meanings as they do in English; they are not interchangeable.]

Forum posts are an informal conversation, this discussion is no different to two guys discussing something in a bar over a glass of beer. We are not presenting formal academic papers so our style of writing is lazy and informal. We will type Art Music, Art music, art Music and art music to mean the same thing or different things with little care to how the capitals are used. I have tried very hard to stick to a convention of using "Art Music" when I mean the formal (academic) musicological classification and "art music" when commenting on peoples' informal (colloquial) use of the phrase to mean "music as an art-form".

'Inner-directed' is a phrase that is impossible to apply to any piece of music because it is impossible to determine why a piece of music was create or how it will be used by the listener. I call it pretentious bollocks because it is attempting to elevate a form of music into being something it isn't.

An author may not intend to create inner-directed music, yet the music can be inner-directed in itself.

It can be told on both of the pieces of your new album Centaur, that they contain at least partly inner-directed music:

Some parts (complex rythms, dense harmonies) are too attention-focusing to work as background music, or even to enhance dance-like or other activities of the social kind. 
The pieces work into us through feelings, colours, etc that we link to the sounds heard: a kind of voyage is made inside of us. There might be people listening to it around, but each on their own. If one of them comments while the music is on, they interrupt the listening process.

Touché! Well done, you got me.  Embarrassed My music is pretentious bollocks LOL Wink

Whether this is "inner-directed" or not doesn't mean much to me - I make music that is either "happy" or "sad" and in the main it is "sad and depressing", though I think that 'Centaur' and its companion album 'Oligarch' contain some of the happiest music I have ever written.  None of it was created with the listener in mind so how it is used is for them to decide, one person said they like to listen to it while doing their laundry and that's fine by me, I am still trying to get used to the notion that other people listen to it at all.

[I also have a 'philosophy' that since I cannot dance then all music is dance music because I cannot dance to any of it so will dance to all of it... and by the same argument I can 'inner-direct' any piece of music I listen to if I so choose.]

As a music-constructor/creator/comp-poseur I do not attempt to classify what I create into any musical genre or style. When pressed, I will call some of it "pseudo-classical" or "experimental" but mostly I use the vague umbrella term "electronic" and leave it at that. It all fits within the classification of Popular Music as I believe I am amateurishly following in the mighty footsteps of other Popular Music electronic musicians. Even the experimentation I use is not avant-garde or ground-breaking, I simply found some kind of philosophical ideas that I want to explore and experiment around with those ideas. That resulting music will not necessarily be experimental sounding to others, (in fact my 'mission statement' made some 15 years ago was to produce experimental music that sounded normal).

Some of those experiments work and some do not (as I'm sure you know from your own music) - for example the off-key piano melody in 'Chiron' was purposely created to sound odd and disconcerting, but on repeated listens it doesn't actually work, it just sounds bad ... and not in an "ugly" avant-garde way... it just sounds poorly played. This is partly because the piano tone is too pure and in a different instrument with a richer harmonic timbre is does not sound as miss-played. In a later re-mix of that track I have tweaked the 'bum-sounding' notes - they are still off-key of course but they sound 'better'. (It is actually unusual for me to go back to a piece of music and change it).

Edited by Dean - April 14 2015 at 05:52
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 10:01
Time to finally get around to typing my own thoughts on the subject. Like I said earlier I'm going mostly with my experiences from metal, punk and a couple adjacent genres like "desert rock". This is going to be really, really long. Might end up dwarfing the ones I linked to elsewhere.

I'm under the impression that most subcultural music genres are motivated by the fact that the people behind it have some kind of aesthetic preference that the pop/rock mainstream doesn't really cover. Maybe it's just on the aesthetic/stylistic level, maybe they don't really resonate with what the music stands for in terms of the deeper conceptual themes and philosophical ideals behind it. The point of most subcultures, not just those that revolve around a particular style of music,  is for people dissatisfied with the mainstream to create their own culture that functions from ideals they can make sense from - either to do so separately from the mainstream, perhaps with the hope of later influencing the culture at large into a course they find agreeable. 

The ideological aspect is in my experience more important to people from places like Eastern Europe, Latin America, South East Asia and the more religious parts of the United States... again, referring here to the metal/punk side of things. In North America and Western Europe, the outer shells of the subcultures co-exist with the mainstream where they mutually influence each other. The underground "harder cores" of the subcultures, the ones referred to in the essay linked to in the OP, are exclusive by design. They're the ones most willing to build up basement distros and do-it-yourself concert venues and whatnot, because they feel the least at home in the cultural mainstream hence being least willing to compromise with outsiders... basically they've got a kind of "patriotism" about their respective subcultures. The subcultural elites of are as a result rather suspicious towards outside influences, or new members that come in because they might not completely understand or even appreciate the ideals of the community, perhaps just appreciating the superficial without having to go through the experiences that a full on commitment would entail, most so the case when the respective subcultures become popular. 

This is where that Letter to the Underworld essay comes into relevance, because it means the genuinely dedicated in the underground end up going against each other instead of standing together. The woman who wrote it is not just an industrial/noise musician, but also a veteran of feminist/LGBT activism and oldschool hacker culture... she's in particular annoyed at the latter two coming into conflict with each other in recent years, when she finds both at risk of mainstream co-optation and wants them united against that front. As a result, her experiences with subcultural cannibalism are very harsh. (this might also explain why she frames the whole thing in a political angle)

Where the "art music" world comes in is that it's often drawn from people who also are dissatisfied with the popular culture, but perhaps from different backgrounds and dissatified for different reasons. To start with, as a result of being intertwined with academia and cultural (sometime also economic) elites it's made by and for people with higher social status than the general public. The subcultural art/music scenes, on the other hand, tend to attract people who are lower in social status. Either it's because they didn't really have that much of a choice in the matter, because of things like social class or ethnicity or sexual orientation etc... or because they've actively rejected the frames. Sometimes it's both... see the author of the essay I discussed in the last paragraph as an example, the goth/indus/noise music scene seems to be disproportionately LGBT.

Now, the avantgardes of the art music community and those of underground art culture as shown in the music subcultures I've mentioned do sometimes end up borrowing from each other, through artists who happen to be on both's wavelengths. The fact that they are willing to think outside of box because they value different things than mainstream culture means that they're more likely to come up with... as a result, those willing to "compromise" between the mainstream and both high culture/sub-culture might be responsible for keeping the mainstream culture evolving. Think of mainstream culture, high culture and underground culture as a 3-circle Venn Diagram in this regard.

This is why while the subcultural patriotism I referred to earlier is a mixed blessing. On one hand, the subcultures might end up dying completely or fall apart if everyone distrusts not just new members but also each other for not being "true". (I already mentioned the intersection with politics earlier in the thread, which is an interesting tangent to keep in mind but I'm not sure I can really do that justice right now) On the other hand, there also needs to be a hard core who maintain some distance because they keep the flame burning, offering different perspectives from every other cultural community. An example is that metal's golden age in the 1980s and early 1990s came, or punk's a bit earlier, about because the underground back then was exclusive enough to only let in those who "got it" but also good enough at rewarding interesting new music coming out within the framework of that culture.

As far as the question of how often countercultures in general, and those related to music in this regard, actually live up to their own declared ideals, goes... it is my conclusion those are rare occasions. This does not mean they aren't good ones to strive for. It's debatable how many progressive/psychedelic rock groups had that much of a coherent ideological/philosophical concept beyond "let's fly into space", with groups like Amon Düul II or Henry Cow or The Mothers of Invention (Zappa in general?) or Magma being the exceptions. Nor how many of them synthesized classical and jazz into rock music beyond more the use of outside technical flourishes in the context of rock songwriting, again it's something that I get the impression that Beefheart/Zappa/RIO-style avant-rock and Krautrock (or "Kosmische Musik") was better at integrating compositional structures into something genuinely new than the classic Anglo-prog. Indeed, beyond Beef and Zap the avant-prog stuff is not something I listen to very often, and even in their case there are large stretches of their discography I haven't gotten around to listening... often including their most celebrated output. Krautrock I now listen less to than newer electronic music inspired by the scene. This does not invalidate or mean good music can't come out of it without fulfilling those lofty goals, indeed said mythic ideals of the underground music might be more useful as abstract Platonic ideals to strive for with only the rarest few actually achieving them, but can still impact people's lives opening them up to new directions as well a second-hand inspiration towards not just more avant-garde and highbrow music forms, but also new artistic/literary inspirations and philosophical/religious/political ideas. I've also gotta admit that I at times admire the avant-garde of art more through its second- and third-hand influence on more accessible stuff. It's not that often I have enough brain capacity to process really "highbrow" stuff.

I know I did touch on the sociological/political aspects of underground music without exploring them further, something I might have should have done especially now that I brought up punk. At the end of the day, though, the fact that I don't find most underground music subcultures fulfilling their own proclaimed ideals very often means that it's a long time ago I've actively identified with them. Perhaps being that kind of active participant just requires even more time and commitment than I've been willing to expend, so the option of not dropping in on the "formative experiences" of an underground subculture is one option I might not really have had that much in a pre-internet age? I might explore them in a future post I'll make later this week, perhaps where I also summarize the conclusions I made here in this post. (and could provide more concrete specific examples) 

Think of this as first draft of my own conclusions. My next post might start with a summary of this one. I really should start a blog of my own one of these days.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - April 14 2015 at 10:03
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 10:46
(my last post took like between 2 and 3 hours to write, I felt like half my day has gone missing...)
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 10:50
^ Don't sweat it Simon, often the catharsis of writing out your thoughts has more value than the hours it took to write them.
What?
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 11:12
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

^Piss artist.

I don't believe something like Prog or any other form of highly evolved Rock Music would stand up to the sort of academic scrutiny afforded to Art Music*. That's not to say the latter is in any quantifiable way better, but most Popular Music when broken down into thematic development, modulation, rhythmic groupings, motivitic sources, counterpoint, harmonic innovation etc just looks a bit like erm...bo-toxed jingles advertising tight fitting clothing.

(*That's correct, I can't define that either.)
Re bolded - LOL - it's exactly a reaction of people in 1917 what Marcel Duchamp really loved as an artist who is responsible for the great avantgardes of the twentieth century such as Pop Art, Conceptualism and Performance Art.

Re unbolded, well, as on the previous page I showed examples of how folk can transform in both non avant art music and in the avantgarde, so I proved that avant-garde can come from different directions and even from folk basis. As a repetition is the mother of learning, I would like to give you three examples of the same kind of transformations but in the field of Electronic music, and also Metal.

Electronic music

Techno is undoubtedly the best example a popular Electronic music, as this music was very well grow in rowdy neighborhoods of big cities, especially in USA where the genre was originally born in 80s (e.g. Cybotron's Techno City , 1984) > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZFL2Ewo-oI

A beautiful Berlin School (also that contemporary Neo-Berlin School) of Electronic music is Progressive electronic music and Art Music par exellance! I think that Klaus Schulze's Crystal Lake (1977) is a perfect example Approve  > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCzXtjoOOtI

Wo0 is an artist (already in PA' Progressive electronic section) from my hometown of Belgrade. Wo0 has succesfully managed to merge Progressive electronic (which is not the Berlin School) and avantgarde. Great Art music indeed! His album from 2010, Six For Screening > http://herbariumrecords.bandcamp.com/album/woo-six-for-screening (name your price)

Transformation of Metal (examples)

Sarajevo's trio Vatreni Poljubac ("Fiery Kiss") is one of the pioneers of the New Wave of Metal with their debut album recorded in London's Matrix Studio and released at Sarajevo Disk label in October 1978, as a fusion of 70s Hard Rock and punk, so their debut a perfect example of the popular music for many kids in late 70s > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2vaRPrSEw4

Progressive metal is Art music per se, and as an example I choose the greatest masters of the genre - of course, that's Dream Theater, and the song is that stunning Dance of Eternity (1999) > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MshUFnfEfeA

Avant-garde metal... what to say? LOL that's even unnecessary to point out that it's Art Music without a question (do you like Giant Squid's Dead Man Slough from 2009?) > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwM1zXEgeA4

Oh and a bit more of "piss artist" Duchamp...

Marcel Duchamp's Bicycle Wheel, readymade from 1913.

LOL 

Edited by Svetonio - April 14 2015 at 12:44
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 11:28
This is getting silly.

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

^Piss artist.

I don't believe something like Prog or any other form of highly evolved Rock Music would stand up to the sort of academic scrutiny afforded to Art Music*. That's not to say the latter is in any quantifiable way better, but most Popular Music when broken down into thematic development, modulation, rhythmic groupings, motivitic sources, counterpoint, harmonic innovation etc just looks a bit like erm...bo-toxed jingles advertising tight fitting clothing.

(*That's correct, I can't define that either.)
Re bolded - LOL - it's exactly a reaction of people in 1917 what Marcel Dushamp really loved as an artist who is responsible for the great avantgardes of the twentieth century such as Pop Art, Conceptualism and Performance Art.
No he wasn't.  It reveals an ignorance of Art History to make such a claim.

Re unbolded, well, as on the previous page I showed examples of how folk can transform in both non avant art music and in the avantgarde, so I proved that avant-garde can come from different directions and even from folk basis.
No you didn't. That was not why you gave those three examples. 

As a repetition is the mother of learning, I would like to give you three examples of the same kind of transformations but in the field of Electronic music, and also Metal.
...Repeating the same mistake expecting a different outcome?

What?
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 12:31

we should not misuse noun-phrases that have an accepted academic meaning, such as Art Music. If only to avoid confusion.

Unless we can't join those who accept it without objection, that is !! Sorry if those exchanges feel fruitless to you. I can't call it small-minded to argue about a noun phrase including an immense word like "art". That everyone should try and define what art is feels healthy. I'm happy to have my opinion shared on that topic at least once! Meanwhile, tons of PhDs are caught in endless fights for having the last word on a definition... As french wikipedia for "Art music" is "Musique savante"...

Where I (believe I) have the advantage is in the more idiomatic meanings of English words and phrases, because one thing I have noticed, is it is sometimes difficult to separate the literal and non-literal meanings of phrases, especially when a phrase is transliterated into another language (rather than being translated).

There's no argument that a long sojourn in England would help me, not only regarding idioms, though online translators provide much stuff. 

[There is another problem and that is words get lost in translation: for example it seems that "mile-stone" got translated into 'Yugoslavian' as "cornerstone"... which is odd because both words exist separately in the Slavic languages and their counterpart translations have the same different meanings as they do in English; they are not interchangeable.]

No evidence of this if google-translating "milestone" or "cornerstone" to serbian, slovene, croatian, czech, and reverse.

Forum posts are an informal conversation, this discussion is no different to two guys discussing something in a bar over a glass of beer.

Ha ha ! Are you kidding ? Let's have a conversation on the same topic recorded in a pub for further analysis... Ha ha ha !

We are not presenting formal academic papers so our style of writing is lazy and informal. We will type Art Music, Art music, art Music and art music to mean the same thing or different things with little care to how the capitals are used. I have tried very hard to stick to a convention of using "Art Music" when I mean the formal (academic) musicological classification and "art music" when commenting on peoples' informal (colloquial) use of the phrase to mean "music as an art-form".

That's not the feeling I have when I read your posts. Many of us seem far from being careless, even regarding the use of capital letters...

Some of those experiments work and some do not (as I'm sure you know from your own music)

My main chore is, that I'd struggle for a piece to sound the best possible, then it'd become cleared for a fondly celebrated upload. But months, even years later I'd find a better sounding option. Several pieces count ten or more (one counts even seventeen) test renderings, each one remixed several times because of EQing, volume, balance problems !

I'm frustrated with youtube (though I bow down to the overall quality of YT) because they allow changes of a video's audio track, but only with tracks that belong to a imposed list. We can't replace it with a home made track, and if I want to replace a mix I don't trust I must delete the video and replace it.

(It is actually unusual for me to go back to a piece of music and change it).

Happy man you are, unless you're meaning that you'd hear suspicious or ill-sounding parts but wouldn't trust your music enough and correct them !

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 12:36
'Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.' ~ Pablo Picasso

Whether this adage can truly be attributed to Pablo is uncertain but it has often been repeated and paraphrased by many musicians over the years.

These rules are not strict "must do" rules, they are the rules of expectation and convention. It is not so much a breaking of rules as a defying of convention that alters our expectation. [Picasso wasn't such an idiot as to defy the technical rules, such as applying "fat-over-lean" when painting in oils for example - he knew that he needed to increase the amount of linseed-oil and decrease the amount of turpentine in each successive layer of paint or the finished art-work would crack and peel. Some rules cannot be broken¹.]

My "happy" or "sad" remark in my reply to Jean-Marie got me thinking. Way back in Ancient Greece, Greek philosophers analysed the various musical Modes (read: scales) that musicians were using and attributed emotional feelings to each one because it seemed to them that each one had a character that differentiated it from another. For example a piece of music played in the Ionian Mode sounded happier than one played in the Aeolian Mode. 

Classical musicians of the Classical Era of Art Music returned to this 'philosophy' of attributing emotion to various musical scales, and they found that playing these scales in different keys altered the degree of emotion contained in a particular mode or scale. These became part of the "rules" of Music Theory, and were there for artists to use or break as they required. So when a composer (such as Mozart) wrote and published a piece of music or a symphony he titled that music with both the dominant scale and the predominant key in it was written in and thus performed (for example: Symphony No.40 in G Minor). 

We continue this tradition (thou' perhaps unwittingly) today and, with some minor modification, tend to hold to the analysis of those Ancient Greek Philosophers' and that of "Music Theory".

The Ionian Mode is better known as the Major scale and we recognise it as do re mi fa sol la ti do (As Oscar Hammerstein observed you can sing most anything when you know the notes to sing) and we can pretty much put those notes in any order we like and arrive at a melody that sounds okay (more so if we omit "fa" and "ti" from that so further limiting our choice to a pentatonic scale). 

Our familiarity with that do-re-mi scale means we can essentially predict (or expect) that the following note in a sequence that goes do-re-sol -do-re will be one of those eight notes, for example "la", and we'll be happy. 

But what if it isn't... what if instead of "la" we sang a note a semi-tone lower (that we can call "le") ... now that expectation isn't resolved, we feel flattened, saddened even. The mood of the melody is now different, it's less "happy". When do the same to "mi" and "ti" (as "me" and "te") to give do re me fa sol le te do we have created the Aeolian Mode, or as we better know it - the Minor scale. 

As a general rule (though not hard and fast or cast in concrete) happy songs are written in major scales and sad songs are written in minor scales. I wouldn't be totally surprised to find that most Prog Rock (and Alt-Rock and Metal) was written in Minor scales or at the very least non-Major scales.

I've cribbed this table from the interwebs:
Ionian (Major)Happy, Basic, Naive, Noble, Normal, Vanilla, ordered, plain, light, quaint
DorianSerious, Curious, dreamy, funky, Grey, smooth, stone, ancient, adventurous, natural, nocturnal
PhrygianExotic, serpentine, español, sleek, Arabic, Intense, twisted, aggressive, ethnic
LydianMystical,cheesy, playful, dreamy, fourth, manic, levitated, fantastical, floating, slick, fairly-like
MixolydianWandering, funky, smooth, blue, fun, delicate, mystical, floaty, funky, casual
Aeolian (Minor)Sad, serious, depression, relatively normal, dramatique, uncertain, melancholy, melancholic, powerful, nostalgic
LocrianUnstable, Useless, Misty, Anger,  panicked, pointless, vicious, convoluted

We don't need to know what these 8 modes are, just that they exist and over the years people have described them using emotional adjectives. Modal Jazz makes extensive use of these modes, but then so do other forms of Popular Music.

Avant-garde plays with our expectations, it throws a curve-ball when we least expect it, but it doesn't throw out all the rules, or randomly break some rules and not others, it also creates rules of its own. Someone recording the sound made by dropping a xylophone down a flight of stairs is not avant-garde, it's just random notes - and music that sounds like someone has dropped a xylophone down a flight of stairs is also not avant-garde - we can achieve that by giving a 2-year old child a xylophone. Atonality (an oft quoted feature of avant-garde music) is where the music lacks a tonal centre and the commonest form of this is music that employs the entire chromatic scale. That "lack of tonal centre" is a rule in itself. In creating the twelve-tone system Schoenberg didn't simply say: forget these modes, just use all 12-notes of the chromatic scale (do di re ri mi fa fi sol si la li ti (do)) - that had been done long before Schoenberg - he prescribed rules and rule-sets that dictated how these notes should be used so that no single note is emphasised more than any other. This became "Serialism" because the 12-note patterns were repeated serially. Others took these rules and modified them and some reacted against them, creating different rule-sets where some notes were emphasised more than others (e.g. Riley's In C - atonal music that has a tone-centre in the form of a repetitive pulse [in C]). 

When Rock Music adopts these methods, (or creates new methods [rules] of its own), to produce avant-garde rock music it does not stop being Rock Music; the use of atonality in Rock does not suddenly and magically make it more erudite or serious. 

¹Not every Modern Art artist is aware of the technicalities of paining in oils. Some years ago I went to an exhibition of 20th Century Art in London where many of the key pieces of modern art where on display (including a replica of DuChamp's Fountain - the original having long been lost many years ago...). What struck me about many of these pieces was how badly they were made. As remarkable/shocking/ground-breaking as they were, some are not holding up too well to the ravages of time - simple mistakes in basic painting technique were causing some of them to flake and peel very badly.

Edited by Dean - April 14 2015 at 13:53
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 12:52

Forum posts are an informal conversation, this discussion is no different to two guys discussing something in a bar over a glass of beer.

Ha ha ! Are you kidding ? Let's have a conversation on the same topic recorded in a pub for further analysis... Ha ha ha !
Beer sounds good to me. 
What?
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 12:57
You mean Skype ? I have and could manage a try tomorrow evening, but must find the way to actually record...Eh, Eh !
Cheers...
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 13:45

You mean Skype ? I have and could manage a try tomorrow evening, but must find the way to actually record...Eh, Eh !
Cheers...
LOL 
No, I mean that if by chance we find ourselves in a pub or bar somewhere, sometime. (Not by plan or invitation, just happy coincidence.)
What?
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 13:56

(...)
No evidence of this if google-translating "milestone" or "cornerstone" to serbian, slovene, croatian, czech, and reverse.

(...)
I just would like to clarify one thing. In The illustrated New Musical Express Encyclopedia of Rock (Salamander Books, London 1977), Nick Logan called The Steve Miller Band's albums Children of the Future  and Sailor "milestones", and he wrote that Children of the Future  the album is "regarded as one of the best examples of progressive rock in 1968". I own a Yugoslav version of the book, and in that croatian-serbian translation (the Yugoslav version of the book was released on Zagreb's publishing house), the word "međaš" was used, which when translated again into English as per dictionary (not Google translator) would be "boundary-stones". The word "milestone(s)" actually have no equivalent word in our four versions of South Slavic ('Yugoslav' when you translated in bcms) language that to be adequate for that context. So I was, in the discussion at Proto Prog / Prog Related sub-forum that touched tangentially The Steve Miller Band, freely translated "međaši" as a "cornerstones" instead of "boundary-stones", because it seemed to me as more appropriate. However, the real "problem" in discussion is not my "cornerstones" that I used perhaps wrongly; for these sworn enemies of eventually addition of The Steve Miller Band in PA' Proto-Prog section, the problem is that clause from The illustrated New Musical Express Encyclopedia of Rock  that says that Children of the Future  the album is "regarded as probably the best example of progressive rock in 1968" Wink

Edited by Svetonio - April 14 2015 at 15:46
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 14:17
^ the point being that :-

A: one is an important quality or feature on which something depends (cornerstone, foundation stone) and the other is a significant event in the development of something (milestone, event-marker). Online translators seem to be happy with translating Croatian 'prekretnica' into milestone and 'kamen temeljac' into cornerstone without confusing the two.

B: you translated this as: "these albums were cornerstones of Progressive Rock" ... something that Logan never actually said... because it made your argument look more legitimate.

Stern Smile

/edit: I am fully aware (because I can see the f*ck*ng time-stamps) that Svetonio has cheaply and childishly back-edited his post after I posted this reply. All this does is reinforce my low opinion of him as a petty and spiteful individual who cannot and will not stop behaving like a dick. Please note that I have not just (nor have I ever) called him a dick, but will observe that he is doing a very good impression of one. Ermm what have I missed? ... oh yeah... one of these: Wink

Edited by Dean - April 14 2015 at 20:14
What?
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 14:42
The term "avant-garde" assuredly turned me off to this thread.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 14:54
The cornerstone conversation has become a millstone and should be kicked to the curbstone (or kerbstone, if you prefer).  

And what the hell does Steve Miller have to do with Art Music? Or Avant-garde? He was neither, and his relation to prog is tentative at best. If there is a discussion regarding prog antecedents in 1968, Steve Miller is not among the performers mentioned.

P.S. Tangentially speaking, I have always read that the term "Art Music" refers to classical music, as opposed to folk or popular music.

Edited by The Dark Elf - April 14 2015 at 14:58
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 15:09
"Avant-garde you say? Sounds more like they avant-garde-a-clue! "  The late George Harrison remarking on a sixties era prog rock band. Guess who?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>