Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Did Floyd make the right decision about Barrett?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDid Floyd make the right decision about Barrett?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 13:27
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

but when he resorts to facile and fatuous replies that are nothing but memes, images, gifs and stupid videos I will respond with as much sarcasm as I deem necessary. Clown

*sigh* Décroche un peu, Dean.
pourquoi?
What?
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 13:31

but when he resorts to facile and fatuous replies that are nothing but memes, images, gifs and stupid videos I will respond with as much sarcasm as I deem necessary. Clown

pourquoi?

Pourquoi pas? Give him a break, man.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 13:32

pourquoi?

Pourquoi pas? Give him a break, man.
As you ask so nicely. I'll back off - but I am watching him.
What?
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 14:04
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Another pettifogger?!  

Charles Dickens called. He wants his thesaurus back.

Oh look, Svetty has learned to download emoticons in lieu of intelligent discourse.

Kind of reminds me of that SNL skit about, I think, "Swetty balls." As for "Svetty"-really? Couldn't you come with a more clever nickname that that. I'll tell you what. Try one out on me for practice.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 14:23
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Kind of reminds me of that SNL skit about, I think, "Swetty balls." As for "Svetty"-really? Couldn't you come with a more clever nickname that that. I'll tell you what. Try one out on me for practice.

Seriously, Red? I've been calling him "Svetty" for some time now. Like William is "Billy" or Robert is "Bobby".
But if you prefer to think of sweaty balls, there is nothing wrong with that from a current societal norm standpoint.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 15:19

Seriously, Red? I've been calling him "Svetty" for some time now. Like William is "Billy" or Robert is "Bobby".
But if you prefer to think of sweaty balls, there is nothing wrong with that from a current societal norm standpoint.

Did anyone ever tell you that YOU'RE COOL! As for "current societal norm standpoint," don't strain yourself. Now come on, give it a go! Use that God-endowed wit of yours to grace me with a nickname.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 15:20
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

SteveG wrote:

But to be honest, dumbed down acoustic based (mostly) folk rock with whimsical lyrics doesn't strike me as something that would give a seventies (and this is key) pop fna a WTF reaction. It's not as if Syd's singing about a satanic mass with vitriol, but I could be jaded.

ExittheLemming wrote: 

Casting the anticipated reaction of our hypothetical 70's pop fan to one side, do you honestly equate Syd's solo output as 'dumbed down folk rock with whimsical lyrics?' I know it's all a matter of subjective taste when all said and done but for me, there is material on both The Madcap Laughs and Barrett that ranks as high as the psychedelic pop masterpieces of See Emily Play, Arnold Layne, The Scarecrow, Bike, Lucifer Sam and Astronomy Domine etc that Syd created within Floyd. Yes, the solo stuff is a bit sloppy, ragged and disjointed but given his fragile mental health that's hardly surprising. Does an unplugged fender telecaster used for his rhythm guitar parts make this material strictly 'acoustic folk' i.e. ain't you guilty of confusing (misheard) texture with style here?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Absolutely not, as this music falls under the dopey (pun intended) Psychedelic Rock sub genre of Acid Folk, which is not predicated on the type of instrumentation used, but on it's musical style. And frankly, there were those few who have done it better, like Pearls Before Swine,  Alexander "Skip" Spence and Michael Chapman with his 1970 album Fully Qualified Survivor.

As ever, I remain the anarchist.Smile

And just for the record, an electric guitar that has unpowered magnetic pickups when it's played, and has to be recorded with a microphone, is in reality an acoustic guitar. There is no electronic amplification of it's sound, so the recorded sound you hear is not amplified sound but acoustic sound. Shocked

I just don't hear even a sliver of folk vocabulary or its referential materials in the harmonic progressions or melodies that Syd created. To paraphrase Louis Armstrong, if it's folk music related then it is so by virtue of not being sung by a horse.Confused

Is there a hyphen in anal retentive? Wink

Your oft trumpeted 'last ever post before you return to the recording industry' (from fading memory) has clearly been subject to revision for the foreseeable future?Wink

Ok, let's set some things to rights.
First off, Acid Folk is a combination of Psych Rock and Folk Music which makes it Folk Rock, so we are talking about Folk Rock not folk music, so the sliver of folk vocabulary  that you seek has been altered into other musical structures that now incorporate Rock (and Psychedelia) into said mix of Folk Rock. Instead of me busting my gums explaining what Folk Rock is to you, how about if you try to explain why Donovan is not Folk Rock to me. I'm all ears and eyes.

Secondly. All recorded music has to be electronically amplified at some point in order to be heard unless you are playing a century old phonograph with a needle type diaphragm with a turntable that is spring wound with a crank in order to played. Playing a recording in this manner is not amplification, which means to make louder, but only sound reproduction.

When is an instrument considered to be electric or acoustic if both are amplified (with electrical power) then? Acoustic pianos are sometimes electronically amplified for concerts, so are they still an acoustic instrument?

That would depend on the artist's intention of the type of sound that he's trying to produce. If an acoustic guitar's (a real acoustic guitar and not an "electro-acoustic"  or one with a piezo pickup which alters it's tone and timbre) chords are picked up by a microphone and amplified though a loud speaker, the guitar is considered acoustic because it was the artist's intention that the entire audience should be able to hear his acoustic guitar. The sound is amplified, yes, but the qualities of the acoustic guitar sound have not been altered by amplification, only made louder.

An electric guitar is no longer intended to sound like an acoustic guitar, so it's amplification is almost academic to it's purpose, in a weird way, but electronically amplified it is, and distorted is it's sound, as it's intrinsic to a electric guitar's magnetic pick up design along with it's solid body design to help stifle feedback. It may have been invented to just sound like a louder acoustic guitar at first, but that's not what occurred.

So it was the artist's intention to sound electronically amplified while playing his electric guitar with all it's built in distortion, buzzing and overloaded sound, and not just louder. Again, the key word is intention.

What Barrett's intention of sound  was when he playing an "unplugged" Telecaster I will leave up to you.

Third, for all your talk of anal retentiveness, I at no time corrected you and informed you that Barrett's Telecaster was only partially amplified on most track's left channel, at a low volume with no distortion, while a stationary microphone was placed near the guitar's pick ups to record the percussive strums of his pick against the guitar strings that was recorded and featured on the album's right channel, along with Syd's vocal's which were cut live during the takes for all of the songs that were not produced by David Gilmour and/or Roger Waters on the album The Madcap Laughs. On those songs produced by Gilmour or Gilmour/Waters, Syd plays a real acoustic guitar as that was probably Gilmour's desire, as I can't envision Gilmour going along with something so half baked.

And what good would that bit of ego tripping have benefitted this conversation? Did you forget my background? I do not and I don't need to remind myself of my abilities to distinguish or identify recorded musical sounds.

And fourth, but not least, on my leaving PA. I still have conversations with PA members that requires me to have a quick look at posted topics in order to understand what the PA member is talking about. So I throw a quick comment in. If you really feel that you can't handle even a brief hit and run conversation with me, then that's no problem. I will be happy to let you off the hook and just keep to myself. Just say the word.

I hope this answered all your inquiries as well as a few that you didn't consider.

Edited by SteveG - April 15 2015 at 18:16
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 15:27

^I'm with the rodent on this one... I don't see how Madcap or Barrett (or Opel) are acid folk (aka psych folk) albums.
I can't say more than what I've said to Ian. Obviously, a majority of what was said does not relate to you, and I trust you will only zero in on the points that are relevant to your post.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 15:31

^I'm with the rodent on this one... I don't see how Madcap or Barrett (or Opel) are acid folk (aka psych folk) albums.

I can't say more than what I've said to Ian. Obviously, a majority of what was said does not relate to you, and I trust you will only zero in on the points that are relevant to your post.

Hell no. I'm just gonna kick back and watch for a change.
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 15:34
^It's about time you enjoyed the show. Have some popcorn, too. Wink
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 15:59

Did anyone ever tell you that YOU'RE COOL! As for "current societal norm standpoint," don't strain yourself. Now come on, give it a go! Use that God-endowed wit of yours to grace me with a nickname.

Would you prefer Matt or Red? Or is there some scatological or vulgar term that would better suit you, given your predilection for perspiring unmentionables?
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 18:50
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

And don't forget, Barrett didn't cure cancer, he only produced marketable pop music.

Having heard his solo albums, I would have to dispute the use of the phrase "marketable pop music".
I would not. None of Barrett's solo albums are what I would consider to be of "cult artist" status and have probably sold many times platinum over 40 years time, which has as much to do with who he was, as well as what music he actually produced, and that makes his makes his music quite marketable.  So that leads us to the question: What then is pop music? (with apologies to Wiki)

The term popular music belongs to any of a number of musical genres "having wide appeal"[1][2] and typically distributed to large audiences through the music industry. It stands in contrast to both art music[3][4][5] and traditional music, which are typically disseminated academically or orally to smaller, local audiences.[3][4][5] The original application of the term is to music of the 1880s Tin Pan Alley period in the United States.[1] Although popular music sometimes is known as "pop music", the two terms are not interchangeable[citation needed]. Popular music is a generic term for music of all ages that appeals to popular tastes,[6] whereas pop music usually refers to a specific musical genre.[citation needed]

As Barrett's music, and Floyd's for that matter, was professionally produced, packaged and marketed to obtain maximum sales, I think it better fits this definition:

According to Simon Frith pop music is produced "as a matter of enterprise not art", is "designed to appeal to everyone" and "doesn't come from any particular place or mark off any particular taste". It is "not driven by any significant ambition except profit and commercial reward ... and, in musical terms, it is essentially conservative". It is, "provided from on high (by record companies, radio programmers and concert promoters) rather than being made from below ... Pop is not a do-it-yourself music but is professionally produced and packaged".[14]

Dueling pistols at dawn. I'll even let you shoot first.

All I meant was, the average "pop" fan (i.e. someone who buys stuff in the top 40) would listen to a Syd Barrett album and probably say something like "wtf is this?".

In 2015, yes.  In 1970, no.  This was the era of the singer/songwriter, and Syd's music fit the bill quite well.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 04:15

Ok, let's set some things to rights.
First off, Acid Folk is a combination of Psych Rock and Folk Music which makes it Folk Rock, so we are talking about Folk Rock not folk music, so the sliver of folk vocabulary  that you seek has been altered into other musical structures that now incorporate Rock (and Psychedelia) into said mix of Folk Rock. Instead of me busting my gums explaining what Folk Rock is to you, how about if you try to explain why Donovan is not Folk Rock to me. I'm all ears and eyes.

Secondly. All recorded music has to be electronically amplified at some point in order to be heard unless you are playing a century old phonograph with a needle type diaphragm with a turntable that is spring wound with a crank in order to played. Playing a recording in this manner is not amplification, which means to make louder, but only sound reproduction.

When is an instrument considered to be electric or acoustic if both are amplified (with electrical power) then? Acoustic pianos are sometimes electronically amplified for concerts, so are they still an acoustic instrument?

That would depend on the artist's intention of the type of sound that he's trying to produce. If an acoustic guitar's (a real acoustic guitar and not an "electro-acoustic"  or one with a piezo pickup which alters it's tone and timbre) chords are picked up by a microphone and amplified though a loud speaker, the guitar is considered acoustic because it was the artist's intention that the entire audience should be able to hear his acoustic guitar. The sound is amplified, yes, but the qualities of the acoustic guitar sound have not been altered by amplification, only made louder.

An electric guitar is no longer intended to sound like an acoustic guitar, so it's amplification is almost academic to it's purpose, in a weird way, but electronically amplified it is, and distorted is it's sound, as it's intrinsic to a electric guitar's magnetic pick up design along with it's solid body design to help stifle feedback. It may have been invented to just sound like a louder acoustic guitar at first, but that's not what occurred.

So it was the artist's intention to sound electronically amplified while playing his electric guitar with all it's built in distortion, buzzing and overloaded sound, and not just louder. Again, the key word is intention.

What Barrett's intention of sound  was when he playing an "unplugged" Telecaster I will leave up to you.

Third, for all your talk of anal retentiveness, I at no time corrected you and informed you that Barrett's Telecaster was only partially amplified on most track's left channel, at a low volume with no distortion, while a stationary microphone was placed near the guitar's pick ups to record the percussive strums of his pick against the guitar strings that was recorded and featured on the album's right channel, along with Syd's vocal's which were cut live during the takes for all of the songs that were not produced by David Gilmour and/or Roger Waters on the album The Madcap Laughs. On those songs produced by Gilmour or Gilmour/Waters, Syd plays a real acoustic guitar as that was probably Gilmour's desire, as I can't envision Gilmour going along with something so half baked.

And what good would that bit of ego tripping have benefitted this conversation? Did you forget my background? I do not and I don't need to remind myself of my abilities to distinguish or identify recorded musical sounds.

And fourth, but not least, on my leaving PA. I still have conversations with PA members that requires me to have a quick look at posted topics in order to understand what the PA member is talking about. So I throw a quick comment in. If you really feel that you can't handle even a brief hit and run conversation with me, then that's no problem. I will be happy to let you off the hook and just keep to myself. Just say the word.

I hope this answered all your inquiries as well as a few that you didn't consider.

Why the breast beating hyperbole of 'setting things to rights?' (as if the views of two sad old men locked in a keystroke battle will even make a crease on posterity's roomy pillow) Why am I being asked to convince anyone what category of music I consider Donovan to be a best fit? The latter is completely irrelevant to my belief that Syd Barrett is not folk rock. I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong (but vice versa sadly doesn't seem to be reciprocated here) I don't care what conventional wisdom dictates should be the box you want to shoe-horn anyone into (how about 'Scotland's token hippy charlatan' if you want me to nail my colours to the mast?)

You are keenly aware that I think your response to the 'unplugged Telecaster/acoustic guitar' issue to be pedantic. Your subsequent response merely reinforces that view.

I don't give a flying f.u.c.k. about your background. I've also got ears (and a tiny brain to boot), have never, do not and never will work in the music industry and am not Welsh: so I'm probably overqualified to listen to music

You've stated on a couple of occasions previously (no, I'm not going to produce the quotes, you're anal enough to dig them out) that 'this was your last post' usually after being routinely annihilated by Dean (whose not even trying) It doesn't put me up or down whether you decide to stay or not but how seriously do you honestly think people will take your utterances if you continue to resort to the last refuge of the outwitted? (threatening to run away in the hope someone gauche enough will persuade you otherwise)

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 15:27
^I stated my position honestly in regards to leaving PA, or not, which was not down to any personal concerns such as the petty ego game that you stated in the last line of your post, but merely due to business constraints and more importantly, the prospect of the record distributor that I'm currently working for picking up a European label which is quite prog heavy at the moment, and that would result in a conflict of interest on behalf of yours truly. As with all matters of this type, as soon as you think the deal is inked, something or someone throws a wrench in the works, and the deal is repeatedly delayed. 

It's quite evident that you don't play the psychological game very well, so you're correct in asserting that you would be a poor fit in the music business world. Scotch, Welsh or whatever.

The only thing that bother's me about your post is that I also think the Barrett/Telecaster issue is pedantic and failed to impress that on upon you, so we've been at cross purposes in regard to that issue. The rest of your post, however, gives me little reason for pause. It wasn't even worth making popcorn for.
popcorn eating smiley photo: popcorn smiley popcorn.gifSorry Dean. The show was cancelled due to a surprising lack of inspiration that's evident in the previous member's post coupled with anything factual. There was not a single red Letter in his entire post this time around.

Edited by SteveG - April 16 2015 at 18:05
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 16:58
Looks like a real talliker a brewin'!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 18:11
As far as I'm concerned, this hurricane has been downgraded to a tropical storm. Everybody head out to the shopping malls!

In all seriousness, life is too short for these petty squabbles and I know Ian (lemming) to be a very decent guy at heart.

Edited by SteveG - April 16 2015 at 18:32
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 18:45
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 07:44

Looks like a real talliker a brewin'!

Nah, popcorn or progcorn. Neither rots dentures alas. This is blue for those seeing red.Wink

Edited by ExittheLemming - April 17 2015 at 07:48
floflo79 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2015 at 12:44
I don't really like the Barrett-era, and i'm a huge fan of the Waters-era, so I think that it's a good decision
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2015 at 11:46

Considering the two solo albums I have (dreadful) I have to say yes.

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>