Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Did Floyd make the right decision about Barrett?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDid Floyd make the right decision about Barrett?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 08:07
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Originally posted by NutterAlert NutterAlert wrote:

I am not sure what annoys me most....the exploitative non-story of Roger Barrett who tried to quietly live out his days in Cambridge or the fact a despicable rag such as Daily Express is quoted here.
Actually, I posted that "Daily Express" due to beautiful pic of Syd Barrett who is riding his bike. The picture speaks more than 1000 words. However, I'm just curious what you find so wrong in that text on the pic?

At the risk of putting words in NutterAlert's mouth, I suspect he is annoyed that a publication designed for and digested by middle class c.u.n.t.s and their kids would feign concern about the fate of a once iconic 60's Rock star who chose to become a Cambridge gardener as if this might somehow whet their reader's insatiable appetite for 'whatever happened to?' schadenfreude. To be fair, it would be completely unreasonable to expect an eastern European like Svetonio to be cognisant of such habitually crass and venal UK press expediency.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 08:33
Another pettifogger?!  
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 08:35

Another pettifogger?!  

Charles Dickens called. He wants his thesaurus back.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 08:43
^^ Right, I must be thick but: an inferior legal practitioner, especially one who deals with petty cases or employs dubious practices relates to the disingenuous UK newspaper Daily Express coverage of the voluntary retirement of Syd Barrett as erm...being the handiwork of a pettifogger? I cant be a.r.s.e.d asking what you really mean as it pains me to confess I don't really care (that's my issue and it ain't you're fault)

Edited by ExittheLemming - April 15 2015 at 08:43
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 09:50
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Another pettifogger?!  

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 11:03

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Another pettifogger?!  

Oh look, Svetty has learned to download emoticons in lieu of intelligent discourse.

Edited by The Dark Elf - April 15 2015 at 12:18
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 12:13
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

I am not sure what annoys me most....the exploitative non-story of Roger Barrett who tried to quietly live out his days in Cambridge or the fact a despicable rag such as Daily Express is quoted here.
Actually, I posted that "Daily Express" due to beautiful pic of Syd Barrett who is riding his bike. The picture speaks more than 1000 words. However, I'm just curious what you find so wrong in that text on the pic?
(...)

To be fair, it would be completely unreasonable to expect an eastern European like Svetonio to be cognisant of such habitually crass and venal UK press expediency.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 12:18

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

(...)

To be fair, it would be completely unreasonable to expect an eastern European like Svetonio to be cognisant of such habitually crass and venal UK press expediency.

Oh look, Svetty has learned to download irrelevant screen clips in lieu of intelligent discourse.

Edited by The Dark Elf - April 15 2015 at 12:18
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 12:29
Ermm it beats the hell out of having to read the dribble he writes in lieu of intelligent discourse

Edited by Dean - April 15 2015 at 12:30
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 12:32
...sorry for the edit, I had an esprit d'escalier moment just then. Embarrassed
What?
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 12:33

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 12:34
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Ermm it beats the hell out of having to read the dribble he writes in lieu of intelligent discourse
Are you sure? Having a thread cluttered with 30 or 40 YouTube videos of Croatian progressive Klezmer bands playing greasy Hammond organs can be as equally annoying.LOL
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 12:37
Everyone is a bit mean to him but if you can look past the English misunderstandings and weird opinions he has on things, he actually is more excited about prog rock than anyone I've ever talked to.

And it's ok to snap back a few times here and there and even be mean a few times but it's pretty constant on here. Being huge prog rock fans, we've probably all been made fun of enough in this lifetime.

Also Pink Floyd did the right thing. He was obviously going to make things more difficult for everyone. It's a very sad story.
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 12:38
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

If Syd had remained with the band, and they were determined to only play music with him, then they would have folded very quickly. Even tracks like `Vegetable Man' and `Scream They Last Scream', which are still cool psych tracks, are pretty incoherent, messy and unfocused, so it seems the well of mixing psychedelic with a cool melodic pop tune like `Lucifer Sam', `See Emily Play' and `Arnold Layne' etc had already started to run a little dry.

Sticking with Syd, they'd be not much more than a brief interesting footnote from the psychedelic era only.

Assuming they didn't shift to more pastoral sounds a la The Madcap Laughs and Barrett with their later works. Though I'm not sure if that would have been just a temporary solution before they ran out of gas.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 12:57
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

Everyone is a bit mean to him but if you can look past the English misunderstandings and weird opinions he has on things, he actually is more excited about prog rock than anyone I've ever talked to.

And it's ok to snap back a few times here and there and even be mean a few times but it's pretty constant on here. Being huge prog rock fans, we've probably all been made fun of enough in this lifetime.
I look past those things and I see a mean-spirited and petty individual who cannot deal anyone who does not agree with the "weird opinions he has on things". When he cannot win he turns to snide comments and doesn't like it when people repay him in kind. I will continue to respond to his posts in a polite manner for as long has he continues to post the "weird opinions he has on things", but when he resorts to facile and fatuous replies that are nothing but memes, images, gifs and stupid videos I will respond with as much sarcasm as I deem necessary. Clown

No one has ever made fun of me for being a Prog Fan.
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

Also Pink Floyd did the right thing. He was obviously going to make things more difficult for everyone. It's a very sad story.
I wasn't aware he had anything to do with Pink Floyd, I guess that explains all the pointless paparazzi press-cuttings of Syd Barrett he's posting. Tongue

Edited by Dean - April 15 2015 at 12:59
What?
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 13:05
LOLLOLLOL

I wasn't aware he had anything to do with Pink Floyd, I guess that explains all the pointless paparazzi press-cuttings of Syd Barrett he's posting. Tongue

LOLLOL

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 13:13
Another nice pic of Roger Barrett. Although he sadly died by cancer, he get old nicely as red wine!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 13:18

Another nice pic of Roger Barrett. Although he sadly died by cancer, he get old nicely as red wine!
And in the end you'll pack up and fly down south,
Hide your head in the sand.
Just another sad old man,
All alone and dying of cancer.

Prophetic.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 13:21
Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

If Syd had remained with the band, and they were determined to only play music with him, then they would have folded very quickly. Even tracks like `Vegetable Man' and `Scream They Last Scream', which are still cool psych tracks, are pretty incoherent, messy and unfocused, so it seems the well of mixing psychedelic with a cool melodic pop tune like `Lucifer Sam', `See Emily Play' and `Arnold Layne' etc had already started to run a little dry.

Sticking with Syd, they'd be not much more than a brief interesting footnote from the psychedelic era only.

Assuming they didn't shift to more pastoral sounds a la The Madcap Laughs and Barrett with their later works. Though I'm not sure if that would have been just a temporary solution before they ran out of gas.
We cannot be sure how much the overall sounds of both those albums were what Barrett wanted or what Jenner, Jones, Gilmour, Waters and Wright thought he wanted.
What?
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 13:25

but when he resorts to facile and fatuous replies that are nothing but memes, images, gifs and stupid videos I will respond with as much sarcasm as I deem necessary. Clown

*sigh* Décroche un peu, Dean.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>