Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWill the future generation view prog ...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 10:01
The future generation will view Classical Music the same way as we do now. Classical Music is non changing  and will always be what it name implies. Classic.
Prog will be will viewed as just another variant of Rock Music, of which it is.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 10:19
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

What is going on here the past few months? Why is everyone being so nostalgic and emotional? 'Our music is not being heard by the young', 'the old bands should promote the new ones', 'the youth of today does not appreciate music if it's not electronically created'... Can't we just enjoy and discuss the music itself - that would lead to content that shows up in Google searches and make some of the young wonder about the music instead of looking at yet another drivel thread from the old geezers.... 

Sorry. I let myself go. I'll get my coat.

This cloakroom attendant just wants to shake yer hand Clap
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 05:21
Don't despair too much.  My 9 year old daughter has been well influenced by my musical tastes.  When she was 2 or 3, she was always asking for War Of The Worlds (it scares her now, been thereLOL), since then some of her favourites have been Man Of A Thousand Faces (Marillion), Tubular Bells and various Ayreon tracksClap

My other daughter has been similarly treated, but shows no sign of interest (like her MotherDisapprove), so clearly there will still be people who like the style of music.......

And we won't care when we're dead anyway, will weDeadTongueBig smile
Terakonin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 06:30

I think prog has a bit more staying power than classical, because in general it includes English vocals whereas classical usually doesn't, and popular music these days is very vocal-centric.

You left a note in your perfect script
Stay as long as you like
I haven't left your bed since
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 10:45
Originally posted by Terakonin Terakonin wrote:

I think prog has a bit more staying power than classical, because in general it includes English vocals whereas classical usually doesn't, and popular music these days is very vocal-centric.

I still think that the media will help a lot more music make "history" than otherwise. There were no "sales" per se in the other methods for hundreds of years ... and this is a new kink in the whole equation. Even if it is pop music!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 18:15
Prog was rarely championed even when it was bigger in the '70's salad days by anyone outside the hardcore fan base. It will always remain a niche interest.
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 19:02
Originally posted by Bitterblogger Bitterblogger wrote:

Prog was rarely championed even when it was bigger in the '70's salad days by anyone outside the hardcore fan base. It will always remain a niche interest.

This is questionable, though the same is happening with the progressive music nowadays. The point I make is that some of the Popular Music may have its niche for a limited time, on the other hand Art Music will always remain a niche interest.

EDIT: the future generation will have other music viewed as 'prog' other than those we view as 70's prog.

Edited by Rick Robson - May 14 2015 at 20:30

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2015 at 08:19
Among people my age, born in the late 1980s and early 1990s, it's seen as mostly a genre of popular music heavily influenced by more artistic stuff that had its day in the sun during the early 1970s but lives on as a prominent niche genre today... enough so to have a significant influence on the rock mainstream, if not as strong as back then. Granted, it's more popular in Continental Europe (especially in Scandinavia where Sweden has a large revivalist scene) than in the UK/US but it's not like you don't see more specialized rock music press neglect it completely.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12