Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 07:32
Genesis in 1986 (albeit not the best time to see them, but the only opportunity I had)
Any RosFest or NEARfest, only because they aren't that far away. Timing never seems to work out for these.

Edited by progaardvark - April 22 2015 at 07:32
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 07:25
Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

basically any big prog band in the 70's plus Zeppelin; there needs to be a time machine for me to travel into!!!!
UPDATE: oh, and add to that Bowie and Radiohead.

That's my "damn, missed it" list as well.  I lived in NYC during the 1970s so could have seen them all if I had tried, but just wasn't so much into prog then.  Sometimes I want to cry about the lost opportunities to have some great musical memories.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 07:17
Damn.... That is a big one Dean.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 07:16
June 16th 1972 - Genesis at Bedford Corn Exchange (Nursery Cryme Tour), some of my school friends went but it was my parents' wedding anniversary so "Dad's Taxi" was unavailable to ferry me to and from the gig (late-nite bus services in rural Bedfordshire were non-existent). Unhappy
What?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 07:14
Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

basically any big prog band in the 70's plus Zeppelin; there needs to be a time machine for me to travel into!!!!

Yes, pretty much that. I had a chance to see Led Zep at Knebworth and didn't go Cry. I was too young to see the big prog bands in their early 70s heyday, I didn't go to a prog gig until Genesis in 1976.

I'm still jealous of my older sisters who saw bands such as Caravan and Sabbath at local colleges. Had I been older I could also have seen Jethro Tull and Led Zep play at the Toby Jug pub in Tolworth!
Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 06:50
I missed Kansas on their final tour with Steve Walsh. Cry
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 06:43
I missed the Division Bell tour back in 94 because my parents felt that I was too young to attend a concert with 40.000 people on my ownCry Come on, I was 12!!!LOL

Another more recent one would be the TD concert in Denmark last year where NEU! opened for them. My last chance to see Edgar, and I blew it because my wallet didn't agree with me...
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 05:43

UPDATE: oh, and add to that Bowie and Radiohead.

Edited by Michael678 - April 22 2015 at 05:43
Progrockdude
Valarius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 03:15
Nothing overly fancy for me, but I wish I'd seen Dream Theater and Symphony X when they toured together in 2007. My two favourite bands one after the other. Awesome. 
Dave DeGrave View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 03:15
King Crimson double-trio in 1996. I had the ticket (still do) but suffered a heart attack six days before!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 01:25
I only really got into prog in a big way in the 80's when I had the money to do it. By that time most of the best bands were either past their best or had stopped touring so its hard to think of many missed opportunities. When ELP finally toured the UK after a break of 18 years I was there. I went to see Yes for the first time in 1997 and was happy to avoid the cheesy version that had Rabin involved ( Howe is God!). Saw IQ on the Subterranea tour so that was nice , and talking of Nice I saw them with Keith Emerson in the early 00's.

However there is one . Genesis 2007 . That was much better than I expected and now wish I had at least tried to get a ticket.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2015 at 22:53
There were several that happened shortly before I fully got into listening to music: Yes' Relayer tour, Jethro Tull for A Passion Play and Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll because they toured with Steeleye Span.  The one that really grinds my gears though is the 1981 tour of Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin, and Paco de Lucia; not just the tour, but the actual show that was recorded and released as an album; a show that everyone said was especially spectacular.  I could have been there.  I SHOULD have been there.  But I wasn't there.  Angry  I would have also liked to have seen Richie Blackmore perform with Deep Purple and Genesis with Peter Gabriel.  Still, I have seen a lot of great shows, so there is some consolation.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2015 at 22:12
The "A Passion Play" tour, back in 1974. That was Jethro Tull at it's finest.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2015 at 22:08
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, still pissed I never got to see them, never really got the logistics in the right place. Cardiacs, I'd never heard of them before they stopped playing though they must have come through where I was a few times.
Mike Oldfield, again the logistics never worked.

I've pretty much seen the rest of my bucket list bands who were around from my late teens onwards.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
hieronymous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2015 at 21:46
I have been into rock music (and progressive rock of course) since the early/mid-'80s. I lived in Tokyo, Japan while I was in junior high and high school - from '82-'88 - and was fortunate to catch some amazing shows (e.g., Deep Purple at Budokan '85, Pink Floyd in '88). I went back for grad school from 2002-2006, and was able to see Magma (1.5 times!) and Acid Mother's Gong (Daevid Allen, Gilli Smith, Tatsuya Yoshida, Kawabata Makoto, etc.). But there are MANY tours that I have missed.

I can think of a few off the top of my head:

Opeth supporting Pale Communion - didn't like Heritage that much so didn't get Pale Communion and blew off the show local to me - later discovered that I love Pale Communion - I blew it!

Yes on the Union tour - I had the album, was totally into it, but totally out of the loop when it came to bands on tour. Someone I knew said they were going, I was like, "what? They're touring?..."

That's a couple, I'm sure I can think of more. What are some that you have missed?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123