FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedtours that you missed and now regret

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 09:22
How about concerts that you went to but wished you hadn't?

I saw John Fogerty in the mid-80s expecting I would hear some Creedence Clearwater Revival songs. Little did I know at the time that Fogerty was embroiled in a court battle with his old label and he wouldn't play any of his Creedence songs because he refused to play royalties for his own songs (I guess I missed the whole imbroglio in the papers, and of course there was no interwebs).

Although I now understand the reasons he refused to play the songs, I must admit listening to him sing f*cking "Centerfield" and other such tripe was rather dismaying and I walked out halfway through. I wouldn't have bought tickets in the first place had I known.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 09:24
Kate Bush 2014 - Couldn't get tickets

Decemberists 2015 - Couldn't get my sh*t together..

Iron Maiden NOTB 1982 - Couldn't convince my parents I'd get out alive. I was 12..
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 09:26
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

shouldn't this be a separate thread?

I went to a Jeff Healey concert in the late 1980s that was painfully bad.  The music was crap and it was so badly mixed that it sounded even worse than it was.  Walked out after 3 songs, totally not worth the bother and expense.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 09:28

I saw John Fogerty in the mid-80s expecting I would hear some Creedence Clearwater Revival songs. Little did I know at the time that Fogerty was embroiled in a court battle with his old label and he wouldn't play any of his Creedence songs because he refused to play royalties for his own songs (I guess I missed the whole imbroglio in the papers, and of course there was no interwebs).

Although I now understand the reasons he refused to play the songs, I must admit listening to him sing f*cking "Centerfield" and other such tripe was rather dismaying and I walked out halfway through. I wouldn't have bought tickets in the first place had I known.

I've got one of those as well. Aqua in 1998 but I knew that going into the thing. I wasn't prepared for the awefulness though. The chicks were what drew me in to begin with, but I can safely say that it wasn't worth it. Nothing is worth thatLOL I still wake up in cold sweats. The horror.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 09:32
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

shouldn't this be a separate thread? 
By golly, I think you're right.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 09:32
None.
NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 10:10
The Clash '77. Was a prog snob and hated punk, got a free ticket and tore it up. Wish i'd gone now...

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 10:31
Of course, there are all the obvious ones from the '70s (this seems a well-covered thread from the past). You mention Yes' Union tour which I just happened to make it to back in '91(?) at L.A.'s Fabulous Forum ("The Great Western Forum" at the time). There was one amazing moment in the show when White, Rabin, and Kaye left the stage so that the original line-up since Fragile could perform Long Distance Runaround, I believe. Magically captivating. As for those missed shows:

Roxy Music w/Eno
Genesis' Lamb' tour
King Crimson w/ Wetton/Bruford
Jethro Tull's Thick As a Brick tour
Pink Floyd's pre-Animals tours

And not in that particular order...

Edited by Rednight - April 22 2015 at 10:33
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 10:33
Originally posted by NutterAlert NutterAlert wrote:

The Clash '77. Was a prog snob and hated punk, got a free ticket and tore it up. Wish i'd gone now...

In 1977 I purposely didn't go to see The Tax Exiles because it was rumoured they were The Sex Pistols playing under a pseudonym. On reflection I should have gone just for the bragging-rights, but then it seems they could have been Welsh punk band The Tax Exiles and not the Pistols at all.
What?
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 10:51
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Decemberists 2015 - Couldn't get my sh*t together..  

Can't think why you would bother but then again I loathe the Decembrists with a passion bordering on the unbalanced....
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 11:31
Los Jaivas - Russian tour 1983 (30 cities, 3 shows in Moscow among them).
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 11:31
I regret not seeing Triumvirat in Montreal in the mid-seventies (where they played with BTO). Never discovered the band until they had stopped recording and touring.Ouch
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 12:09
The Clockwork Angels Tour, but to be fair, I'd only just gotten into the band when they'd gotten to USA/Canada to finish Ermm
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 13:40
Too many to name but would have liked to have seen:
Genesis with Gabriel during Selling England period......
Crimson with Wetton period.....
Led Zep around late 1972 right before Houses came out and Zoso was still riding high.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 13:52
Hi,

None really.

I passed on a chance to see Jethro Tull twice in LA ... one I was broke and the other ... my new girlfriend was more important and valuable to me, and we went to see Bonnie Raitt instead, which was excellent.

IF, there is a show I would have liked to see, there is really only one ... Seventh Wave ... which supposedly had 5 or 6 keyboard players together somewhere in Hollywood.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 15:10
Forgot about the Dixie Dregs in '80. Was in Denver to see my brother then and saw that they were set to play somewhere on the outskirts of town. Bought tickets, but said brother and I got into an argument about who knows what, I got miffed, and I went about arranging for an earlier flight out. Oh, how the 'Dregs were on a musical role at the time. I think my bro''s roommates ended up using the tickets.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 15:52
Anglagard played Milwaukee win the 90's and I was living in Chicago. Just a short ride away but I wasn't aware of them at that time. 
hieronymous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 18:39
Hey, I started a decent thread! Tongue  I'm new here so it can be a bit nerve wracking, but glad that it got some good responses.

And I wasn't really thinking about shows that you wish you could have seen but weren't old enough (or weren't even alive!) - I'm thinking more of shows that you were aware of and maybe could have gone to but blew off, or found out about after the fact, which brings me to this:

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Of course, there are all the obvious ones from the '70s (this seems a well-covered thread from the past). You mention Yes' Union tour which I just happened to make it to back in '91(?) at L.A.'s Fabulous Forum ("The Great Western Forum" at the time). There was one amazing moment in the show when White, Rabin, and Kaye left the stage so that the original line-up since Fragile could perform Long Distance Runaround, I believe. Magically captivating... 

Thank you for that - I could joke about you rubbing it in that I missed it but I actually appreciate your appreciation of it. 

I thought of another couple - I blew off Iron Maiden on the Powerslave tour to see Night Ranger right before 7 Wishes came out - I did enjoy Night Ranger but in hindsight should have seen Maiden with my friends. 

A friend told me about Kazumi Watanabe on the "Spice of Life" tour but I didn't know about him so I didn't go - DOH! - it was with Jeff Berlin and Bill Bruford! Later on I bought the album and fell in love with it and kicked myself for not going. But at least they finally released a DVD which I own and enjoy. 
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 20:40
1976 Pavolov's Dog/Nektar (they cancelled)
1976 Heart
1976 Genesis
1976 Return to Forever
1976 ELP (W/full orchestra)
1977 Styx/Boston
1978 Magma
1978 Jean-Luc Ponty
1978 Tangerine Dream
2015 Magma
Every John McLaughlin concert to have ever been near me
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 22:51
I also would have to say lot's of 70's prog bands back in the day... several times... but I wasn't even born yet. The ones I might have been able to get to... Pink Floyd on their last tour, but I just got into them a few years later. Then Yes on their las tour with Wakeman and Anderson, but once again I was just getting into them while that was happening, and I wasn't really aware at the time. I guess there must have been tours by King Crimson and others just as well. Then there would be the Dream Theater tour from the Train of Thought album... that one is perhaps my favourite album from them, and my favourite live DVD from them is Live at Budokan (easily the one with my favourite set-list)... but once again, I got into them a few albums later; I have seen them twice or thrice, and really enjoyed the shows (the playing is great to witness), but most of them just had a few of my favourite songs from them. David Gilmour's last tour too... but since he only played in Europe it was indeed a bit too difficult (and the same seems bound to happen once again), though I did get to see Waters three times (though the first time I arrived somewhat late and missed Dogs, and couldn't enjoy Shine on you Crazy Diamond because I was looking for my seat). The one that I almost regretted not seeing was Steven Wilson with Grace for Drowning tour (which actually was the show recorded for the DVD)... but then next year he came with the Raven tour which was even better, so no regrets there really. There's also Steve Hackett with his Genesis Revisited tours, which I don't understand why he just didn't come to Mexico. And, even it it's not prog, there was Nightwish with their Imaginaerum tour (my favourite album from them) with Floor Jansen on vocals... I actually had tickets for that (even from before the vocalist was changed, which ended up being so much better of my taste), but there was some really disturbing problems at the last moment that totally prevented me from going to the show.   

Also, there were several concerts on 2014 that would have been great to attend, but they were too many and I couldn't really go to so many concerts (I have to travel to another city over 3 hours away in order to go to just about any concert I may be interested in). I ended up going to see Transatlantic... but that was a bit of a dissapointment, for Kaleidoscope is perhaps the album I have liked the least from them, and they played very little from The Whirlwind, which is my favourite from them... but still, just as with Dream Theater, just seeing them play makes it worth it. However, this same year came Haken, Anglagard, Riverside, Pain of Salvation (I think), and perhaps some other band I'm forgetting that I bet I would have enjoyed more than Transatlantic.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>