Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedgreat drumming no matter what

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 07:59
Mike Glozier

Don't know his name

Jacob Armen... Some will think I'm also thinking of him because of the reminders of April 24th, 1915... However. Among the numerous vids:

But my nr1 master so far is Marco Minnemann. I'm not really a fan of much of the music he's been involved in, but his way of viewing the art of drumming definitely meets me.

How I noticed him: from 3'41 on until guitar solo...

His amazing door opening approaches to polyrythms:

dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 12:49
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 13:45
Something from AKA Moon featuring ever-groovy sticksman Stéphane Galland:

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 01:39
Minnermann is a great drummer. I will try and get round to listening to all those others!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 08:11
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

The drumming by Seraphine on Chicago V is so really good, the snaredrum sound is among the best i have heard, and its really well micked up. Songs like Dialoge and Saturday, features som really amazing drumming, by a ceverly underrated drummer whos pressence in band is overshadowed, by three breathtaking vocalists, in Lahm, Cetera and Kath, and really flourishous brass and woodwind arangements, Pankow is a genious, so Seraphine is easly to forgett.

Absolutely agree on this....I saw him live in 69 when they were still CTA...remarkable drumming.
His work especially on the first 4 or 5 albums is killer but he was always excellent on all of their output.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
adam525 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 23:11
This post is in reply to the post about the Bill Bruford/Alan White drum duet...

I'm a HUGE Bruford fan, but not as much of an Alan White fan.  Bruford was the first progressive drummer I ever got into. 

I LOVE the King Crimson Discipline album and ALL of the Bruford albums.  I couldn't ever really get into the Earthworks stuff for whatever reason, but all of his other stuff I love.

In Bruford's biography it talks about one of those shows where he and Alan White were about to go out and do their drum duet/duel and Brufords (mostly electronic kit) failed on him during the break and all he had to play with was a snare and cymbals.  Man, what a humbling experience that would be.  Those are the kinds of things that happen in that world though.

Edited by adam525 - April 29 2015 at 23:12
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 00:28
Oh yes!!!!!!!! We cannot but name and take our hats off to Rick Allan (drummer from Led Zeppelin), who in 1985 lost one arm and broke the other one in car accident yet he continued playing drums and even helped develop drum kits for those who lost their limbs especially for war veterans HeartApproveClap 
Def Leppard Armageddon It (live) 1987 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4-2b_LPgVw xxxxx

Edited by Kati - May 01 2015 at 00:29
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 00:29
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoZGPl-_l8Y xxxxxxxxxxx

Edited by Kati - May 01 2015 at 00:30
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 00:38
Now on a lighter and happier note, have a listen to these tiny adorable to be reckoned with girls. The girl on drums especially wow, her stamina too is amazing and rhythm spot on fantastic. SHE IS ONLY 12 YEARS OLD!!!!
Enter Sandman - METALLICA Cover - The Warning   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1boUYB9LFJY
All 3 sisters are fantastic really!  Clap
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 08:04
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Minnermann is a great drummer. I will try and get round to listening to all those others!

Of course drumming like on those Minnemann vids tends to please people that are more autistic than "people oriented"... Let's notice MM's friendly (vs "professional") posture on many videos of his, though, esp his not being too fussy with hightech. It's all about the joy of going for "impossible" yet beautiful combinations, sharing inner voyages, and a delicious way of challenging and keeping oneself busy...
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 08:33
I prefer drummers who focus on groove and feel over the ones that seek unknown heights of complexity. A lot of the new guys on the block are no doubt incredible drummers with a knack for polyrhythms, but most of them are so "trained" that they never go beyond the beat. They become metronomes and timekeepers. 
I like the ones who can implement mistakes in their playing, a "looseness" if you will - the ones that throw themselves to the ground and missWink It's being on the beat and then not really. It's about pushing yourself further and going where you quite easily can make a mistake.... and then you seek it out - only when it's done right the mistake transforms and becomes something completely different and beautiful and powerful. Pierre Moerlen and Jerzy Piotrowski know what I'm on about. 
I think a lot of the new drumming deities have spend so much of their time training - trying not to make any mistakes, that they simply cannot unlearn it. Doing something off-kilter or merely different within any given song then becomes almost entirely impossible, because they have to be on the beat. 
It's not only in the drumming world I see this either. The perfection fad has spread to all corners of the musical map.

Edited by Guldbamsen - May 01 2015 at 08:34
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 10:10
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Pierre Moerlen and Jerzy Piotrowski know what I'm on about. 

You mean that you noticed them among tons of drummers ? After watching respective solos on youtube I can't really tell what makes them "different", at least nothing felt new to me.

So I shared a Mike Glozier vid that may feel soulless to you, but I found the electronic things Glozier was drumming on very groovy, and just didn't miss "mistakes". I was happily surprized at the result from that crazy idea of playing on electronics. 

To me it certainly has to remain music.  I won't trust a drummer I can't dance to, or my soul and body won't react to. I dance on "Good Times Bad Times", on "Total Life Forever", on "Owner of of a Lonely Heart". I dance on Minnemann (who's obviously more a master to follow than a deity to worship, and does not seem to be emprisoned in fear from happy mistakes). I don't dance on most tech-metal stuff.

...And we cannot thoroughly rewire ourselves can we...

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 10:23
It's not about solos though. It's about how they roll with the band. There are thousands of drummers out there able to come up with brilliant solos. It's really not about that for me.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 10:46
I guess thousands of drummers can wonderfully blend their drumming with other instrums as well. Er...In that regard the UKZ video is the only music I know in which my idol Minnemann plays, that I really enjoy !!

Among groovy tracks I've mentioned maybe only Bonham in "Good Times Bad Times" plays most key ingredients for the groove, whilst in the others, every part contributes. 

So it'd mean I'd prefer Bonham to the others !!

Edited by jayem - May 01 2015 at 12:05
CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 10:46

A lot of really terrific kids here…  Here’s one of the most amazing exhibitions I’ve ever seen from a 16 year old punk. Clap

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2015 at 23:49
I wonder how many people actually know or are aware that Bill Bruford is not on In The Court of the Crimson King, album SmileHug
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 00:10
For me, one of the most underrated drummers is Metal Church's Kirk Arrington.

He is definitely one of my favorite drummers

Chunga View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 20:17
The drummer from Mouse on the Keys is an awesome drummer.

So is Volkan Otkem from the Turkish Jazz Fusion band Laço Tayfa (Lacho Tayfa).

One more drum hero from me is Yoshiki from X Japan.
While he isn't really a technical drummer, he's an absolutely amazing composer and great piano player.

His solo is more of a test of endurance rather than a "show off your chops", he's also a great show man.
Sure there are plenty of technically good drummers, but a lot of them are so boring to watch.
[Looking at you Peart].

For any fans of Speed/Hair Metal which isn't just mindless shredding, I'd recommend checking out X Japan, especially their first two albums. They're melodically appeasing and have many tear jerking power-ballads for all you melodramatic softies out there. (Don't worry, I'm one of them too).

*EDIT; After reviewing my post, I realized that I completely went off topic and went on a bit of a rant, sorry.

Edited by Chunga - May 08 2015 at 20:28
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 20:48
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

I wonder how many people actually know or are aware that Bill Bruford is not on In The Court of the Crimson King, album SmileHug

'Round that time, Bill was in the Monkees. WinkLOL
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2015 at 18:05
Bernard Purdie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>