Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat will Prog be like in 2035?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 12:33
On a less joking note, I think more artists in the style from outside North America and Western Europe - in particular from Asia and Eastern Europe - will gain exposure to a large international audience. At the very least, that's what I'm assuming based on how in the metal world more and more groups from those continents have gotten more worldwide exposure in the 21st century. I think much of the new life will come from otherwise hitherto under-exposed regional scenes with their own characteristic cultural identities.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 12:37
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

Looking back to 1995, I don't feel that all that much has happened. Things have shifted around a bit, but nothing earth shattering springs to mind. I'd be quite willing to extend this back even further to, say, 1980.
The real development explosion seems to have happened between 1969 and 1980 (including the punk wake-up call to prog), but since then things seems to have been settling down peacefully. Sure, there have been unusual spikes here and there (Cardiacs, Mars Volta et. al.), but I can't shake the feeling that apart from computer technology and studio trickery there's hardly anything I haven't heard (or at least haven't heard the early stages of) 35 years ago from somewhere.
Sometimes I can't shake the feeling that musically we've reached the stage where everything's already been done. So basically I don't think that things will change a lot in the next 20 years or so, but that's a good thing, because I like the majority of what I'm hearing at the moment, and it's ok be by me if it carries on like that. Beautiful music will always remain beautiful music.
My problem is that whenever I come across something that seems to be genuinely new, for these ears it seems to be bordering on the unlistenable.

Oh damn, I've only just read Dean's post who seems to be saying almost the same thing. only much more eloquently. Don't read this rubbish, waste of time. Read Dean's post instead.

OOOH yea Cardiacs and Mars Volta for the WIN!

I think most bands that are doing something new are influenced by those bands. That could also be my biased opinion as those being 2 of the biggest influences on my writing. Haha
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 13:04
I think Virus and their predecessor Ved Buens Ende will become very influential, they're among those bands in the progressive music scene who are doing something genuinely new with it and finally seem to become rather respected for it in all the audiences they're culturally adjacent to.

You can already hear their approach to melodic phrasing and use of textural development being adapted in some of the more outside-the-box thinking death metal groups like Execration, Horrendous and Morbus Chron. I'm curious to know what the results of their innovation being absorbed into other ends of the musical spectrum will sound like.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 13:18
Originally posted by Green Shield Stamp Green Shield Stamp wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Aye - If Islam takes over they will ban all music, That's why I've got my CD collection in a prog-bunker - twenty feet down and in a sound-proofed vault equipped with the finest CD system I can afford! I will be secretly listening to Tales from Topographic Oceans below street level while people are beheaded for eating a bacon sandwich !!!

Sounds like 'Tales from UKIP Oceans' might be a better choice for you!
Can't stand UKIP far too left wing for me!!!LOL
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 14:15
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

I think Virus and their predecessor Ved Buens Ende will become very influential, they're among those bands in the progressive music scene who are doing something genuinely new with it and finally seem to become rather respected for it in all the audiences they're culturally adjacent to.

You can already hear their approach to melodic phrasing and use of textural development being adapted in some of the more outside-the-box thinking death metal groups like Execration, Horrendous and Morbus Chron. I'm curious to know what the results of their innovation being absorbed into other ends of the musical spectrum will sound like.

Well, if you look at the direction that extreme metal has gone in the last 15 years, in my opinion you can trace a LOT of it back to Ved Buens Ende, Demilich, Gorguts, and Arcturus.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 14:18
It just doesn't seem like VBE/Virus have gotten that much name recognition until around 2010 or so. At least outside black metal culture, we're already hearing some interesting new things going on when their innovations are adapted to a different metal subgenre than they originated in. I'm curious to find out what'll happen when that influence will be absorbed by those of their audiences who are even further apart from that culturally.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - April 30 2015 at 08:34
Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 01:22
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

I predict that there will be a rebellion against all the electrics and electronics of the older generations and that the youth of the era will revert to acoustic music and composition

Completely off-topic, but wouldn't you say that's what the popular indie folk wave of the last ten years was?
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 01:57
Funny, when I started to listen to music as a kid in the mid seventies, I remember the older guys who told me that the music prog and hard rock for example Uriah Heep) has nothing to do with real rock" that is, by their theory, remained frozen in the sixties. Recently, I met one of them, and he still listens only to the sixties and early seventies rock without a synthesizer.

No one can predict in what direction will go our beloved genre; especially conservatives can not have even a some personal vision.
They can only repeat like parrots their "doubts" and "dilemmas."

Edited by Svetonio - April 30 2015 at 01:58
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 08:57
In a wiser man's words:

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 09:00

In a wiser man's words:

An inspired and wise post unworthy of a poster of such tender yearsClap
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 12:22
Originally posted by Kazza3 Kazza3 wrote:

I predict that there will be a rebellion against all the electrics and electronics of the older generations and that the youth of the era will revert to acoustic music and composition

Completely off-topic, but wouldn't you say that's what the popular indie folk wave of the last ten years was?

I admit I was speaking more broadly than the OP, but I will stand by it for Prog as well.  The next generation of indie folkies will want to expand on the music of their predecessors yet still not compromise the acoustic nature of it.  Electric and electronic elements will not be completely disregarded but they will be used sparingly.  The emphasis will be on the music itself rather than technology.  The new acoustic proggers will see classical composers, acoustic jazz artists (or jazz artists in their acoustic modes), as well as indie folkies as their inspirations.  Technical prowess will still be displayed, we are talking about Prog, as well as compositional skills.  International boundaries will disappear, so we will see what we now call World Music as a major element.  Among the legends will be the Decembrists, Unitopia, and Penguin Café Orchestra.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 12:26

In a wiser man's words:

Word.  Age and experience demonstrates the absolute truth of this.  Those of you who do not yet believe it will be proven wrong.  This is why I stopped paying attention to the charts and what people who only want my money say I should like.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 15:09
What if I was never With it?
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 15:17

Originally posted by Kazza3 Kazza3 wrote:

I admit I was speaking more broadly than the OP, but I will stand by it for Prog as well.  The next generation of indie folkies will want to expand on the music of their predecessors yet still not compromise the acoustic nature of it.  Electric and electronic elements will not be completely disregarded but they will be used sparingly.  The emphasis will be on the music itself rather than technology.  The new acoustic proggers will see classical composers, acoustic jazz artists (or jazz artists in their acoustic modes), as well as indie folkies as their inspirations.  Technical prowess will still be displayed, we are talking about Prog, as well as compositional skills.  International boundaries will disappear, so we will see what we now call World Music as a major element.  Among the legends will be the Decembrists, Unitopia, and Penguin Café Orchestra.
I think the indie folkies are done. The only ones left that people are really paying attention to are the ones who have been doing it for years, the indie fogies.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 15:22
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

But what if you were With it, then Without it, then With it, then Without and then With it again?

For some reason I feel the need to read some Nietzsche right now. Later.

Edited by SteveG - April 30 2015 at 15:44
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 19:59

As George Harrison once said, it is within you and without you.  Peter Gabriel more or less said the same thing.  It is always with you, even if you are not with It.  Wink
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 15:23
I used to listen to a bit of electronic music, but it seems to have drifted away for the time being - into a sort of Tangerine Dream so to speak....
Symphonic prog and Progressive metal seems to be my bag at the moment....Tonight's play list was, Hacketts new offering, then the count of Tuscany (coz I love the opening, the drumming is fantastic) then Spock's Beard V.....
Just play what you feel like folks......

Edited by M27Barney - May 01 2015 at 15:24
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 16:07

As George Harrison once said, it is within you and without you.  Peter Gabriel more or less said the same thing.  It is always with you, even if you are not with It.  Wink

Even so, you gotta get in to get out. Basic knowledge around these parts.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2015 at 19:36
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Even so, you gotta get in to get out. Basic knowledge around these parts.

Indeed, but he wasn't singing about It at that point, he was singing about how one gets out of the underworld wonderland Rael found himself in.  I was actually referring to the song It, and you can't get out of It, even if you don't know you are in It or what It is.  George know, even if Rael didn't.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2015 at 19:42
Oh, and let's not take the joke too seriously. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>