Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDoes it make sense to review very old albums?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 16:05
.."very old cds..."??

How old are you, like 5?? LOL Big smile
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 16:14
Well a 5 year old would only know mp3s and probably wouldn't know CDs anymore. Come on now.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 16:18
^ True dat...
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 16:37
But...I can't get rid of my CDs! I still have 78s in the house!
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 17:51
Nothing beats the sound of "Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" on the original Edison Cylinder. 
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 19:37
              For me, personally, reviewing old albums makes perfect sense, as older albums (in prog, mainly from the late sixties to early eighties) are my focus and interest and what ignites my musical passions. There are exceptions to this rule, though.
                 But talk about older albums, though I don't review classical albums, I listen avidly to ones that were recorded from the late 1890s (piano and opera excerpts) to symphonies (the first two decades of the 20th Century) and onwards.
                        I don't enjoy reviewing classical music, though it is my main listening focus.
                I have had not so nice experiences with classical music forums on the net, but PA is great, the focus is so broad and you can like and talk and review a wide variety of music, and almost certainly find a sympathetic ear. I wouldn't want that to change.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 20:14
Yes, it does. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 20:15
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I actually like references to other bands in reviews. Or even individual musician comparisons (e.g. Banksian, Wakemanesque, etc.). I find it very helpful even though it isn't always accurate.

Couldn't agree more. What I want from a review is trying to determine whether or not I will like the music - not so much whether or not the reviewer likes the music. I find descriptions of the music that include parallels with other artists the most useful part of a review.
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 20:15
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

Nothing beats the sound of "Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" on the original Edison Cylinder. 

Old, even for me Tongue
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 20:54

LOL 

As long as you have the machinery to play them, why not keep them?  I advocated for 8 Track way back when because it sounded better than cassette.  And old Jazz played on 78 rpm is a whole different listening experience.  Quite civilized, really.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 23:15
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

As I like to say, good music is good music, no matter when it was produced.  The advantage of the music biz these days is that not only do we have access to plenty of new artists, but also to the music of old artists.  Some of them are well known, such as Yes or Genesis, while others are obscure, such as Asia Minor or Gracious! (the exclamation point is part of the name).  If the music is good, if you like the music, what does it matter when it was made?  And you don't have to like it even if virtually everybody is saying you should.  That is one of the beauties of our era in time.  Almost nothing is lost.  If the latest releases don't interest you, there are older ones that might.  Or vice-versa.  So, yes, emphatically, it makes sense to review very old albums.  People new to Prog can use those reviews to explore and possibly find something they really like as opposed to what they may be expected to like by peers and music execs.  For example, I just posted one from 1976 - Floating World by Jade Warrior.  I gave it five stars.  Everybody should listen to it, but I know not everybody will like it.  That's okay.  I don't care for most of the Prog Metal albums that are so common these days.  And I am fine with that too.  By the way, I am in my mid fifties.  The world of Prog is much wider and diverse than most of us realize.  Fortunately, we have the means to explore that world to our heart's content, and we are not obligated to like or even appreciate everything we hear.  If we don't like the older or newer stuff, that is our prerogative.  We don't have to limit ourselves artificially, and for that I am extremely glad.
Floating World 5 stars
Thandrus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 00:49
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Originally posted by Thandrus Thandrus wrote:

It makes sense to review ANY UNREVIEWED album. From my part, I'd be happy if musical journalism (I don't mean PA here, it is definitely better than most other web resources in this regard) shifted to exposing the unexposed from overexposing the exposed.

While I agree with what you say here Thandrus, the one important thing that I think you're glossing over is that we, the Prog Archives, have no control over what the users of the site review.  Others have said this earlier in the thread, but I think it bears repearing.  You have people that focus on newer bands but you have just as many who want to review the music that they're most familliar with.  Shoot, I think I reviewed Selling England when I started here, I was probably the 857th review of it, but it was what got me started.  I think if we, as a site, start dictating what our new reviewers can or cannot review, then we're going to drive away any potential new members.

I go with this theory, review what you'd like to review, if you want a specific album to get a bit of pubilcity, write a review yourself.  That's the beauty of this website, everyone has the ability to change it and add to it.

Well, funny thing is, I completely agree with your opinion, I just expressed it a bit clumsily LOL The second part of the statement was just my personal wish. BTW, I think I've read most of those "Selling England" reviews through years on here Embarrassed
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 08:42
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

But...I can't get rid of my CDs! I still have 78s in the house!

We have a few 78's of classical music in Santa Barbara in the family's classical music collection. One that I remember is Villa-Lobos, but can't tell you the piece at all. These were all acquired in Brazil in our days in Araraquara.

Edited by moshkito - April 30 2015 at 08:43
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 09:21
Originally posted by misterprog misterprog wrote:

does it make sense to review very old albums?
We  wonder what will be progressive rock in the future, but we review mostly old albums. There is plenty of new groups out there, but is seems like we can only consider the history.....So I can seem pleanty of reviews about very old cds from very unknown groups. That's archeology! I strongly suggest all PA members to dedicate more time to new release, new groups, new tendencies......
One more, I hate when in a review there is the competition to find what are he influences of  a band. So I can read lists of hundreds of names...they looks like Pink Floyd, in the second minutes of first son there is the influence of ELM etc etc. Terrible. If a group play Prog, ther is certainly a common groud, but it is no sense to keep analysing that. Much better to consider what is original, what is new, what we like etc.....
What do you thingk about?

Why are artists who made music before an arbitrary date that you have decreed is 'very old' and are not familiar with somehow 'archeology?' I strongly suggest that PA members dedicate more time to the music that they enjoy and do not become prey to the imbecilic idea that 'chronological' has a linear relationship to 'advancement' in any shape or form. And yeah, while we're at it, get a spell checker/designated driver
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 09:26

Believe it or not, there are albums from a half a century ago that many of us don't know about.  There are still bands from the 60s and 70s submitted for evaluation.  Reviews give all of the members and visitors here a clue as to what the band or album sounds like.

Exactly my thoughts.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 12:12
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

As I like to say, good music is good music, no matter when it was produced.  The advantage of the music biz these days is that not only do we have access to plenty of new artists, but also to the music of old artists.  Some of them are well known, such as Yes or Genesis, while others are obscure, such as Asia Minor or Gracious! (the exclamation point is part of the name).  If the music is good, if you like the music, what does it matter when it was made?  And you don't have to like it even if virtually everybody is saying you should.  That is one of the beauties of our era in time.  Almost nothing is lost.  If the latest releases don't interest you, there are older ones that might.  Or vice-versa.  So, yes, emphatically, it makes sense to review very old albums.  People new to Prog can use those reviews to explore and possibly find something they really like as opposed to what they may be expected to like by peers and music execs.  For example, I just posted one from 1976 - Floating World by Jade Warrior.  I gave it five stars.  Everybody should listen to it, but I know not everybody will like it.  That's okay.  I don't care for most of the Prog Metal albums that are so common these days.  And I am fine with that too.  By the way, I am in my mid fifties.  The world of Prog is much wider and diverse than most of us realize.  Fortunately, we have the means to explore that world to our heart's content, and we are not obligated to like or even appreciate everything we hear.  If we don't like the older or newer stuff, that is our prerogative.  We don't have to limit ourselves artificially, and for that I am extremely glad.
Floating World 5 stars
Handshake

The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 12:20

Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

It makes sense to review ANY UNREVIEWED album. From my part, I'd be happy if musical journalism (I don't mean PA here, it is definitely better than most other web resources in this regard) shifted to exposing the unexposed from overexposing the exposed.

While I agree with what you say here Thandrus, the one important thing that I think you're glossing over is that we, the Prog Archives, have no control over what the users of the site review.  Others have said this earlier in the thread, but I think it bears repearing.  You have people that focus on newer bands but you have just as many who want to review the music that they're most familliar with.  Shoot, I think I reviewed Selling England when I started here, I was probably the 857th review of it, but it was what got me started.  I think if we, as a site, start dictating what our new reviewers can or cannot review, then we're going to drive away any potential new members.

I go with this theory, review what you'd like to review, if you want a specific album to get a bit of pubilcity, write a review yourself.  That's the beauty of this website, everyone has the ability to change it and add to it.

Well, funny thing is, I completely agree with your opinion, I just expressed it a bit clumsily LOL The second part of the statement was just my personal wish. BTW, I think I've read most of those "Selling England" reviews through years on here Embarrassed

LOL  You have far more dedication than I, I think Selling England is one of the most common targets for one's first review.  There are some terrible, terribly written reviews in there (mine included).    I agree though, at this point I don't review a lot as I'm focusing on the band entries, but when I do start reviewing again, the Entransient's and Circulines of the world will hopefully get more attention than the Steven Wilson's and Beardfishes of the world.  Again, I love Wilson and Beardfish especially, but they're relatively known around these parts.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
defectinggrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 13:28
No matter what you listen to and what you think you know, there is always something new to discover. I have only recently discovered the Cold Reading album by Bram Stoker thanks to a review here and also an Atomic Rooster and 'Hard Stuff' album from other reviews.
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 16:58
There's people discovering older albums all the time, and if someone thinks they can write a well-measured review, or one better than anything released recently, then they might as well give their opinion to help a new listener understand what it's about to them and give them an overview of it. There's still so much out there that music fans haven't discovered yet (e.g. from the 70s) which could effectively be considered a new album? Also, it may take a long time to take in, say a King Crimson record, even after a few listens and develop all of your interpretations of the storylines and to even understand the musicianship. Furthermore, it can be irrelevant to write about something like "Hand Cannot Erase", which despite being a very recent release is being consistently reviewed at the moment, and not much can be said about it. And if you believed this, when would it become nonsensical to review something?

Basically, there's usually some relevance in, or a reason to bring up a "very old album" by reviewing it, and it's always good to share your renditions of an LP and to read about others. 
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 18:01
For me older albums are easier to review because I've known the music longer.  But I do a mix.  I don't really worry about whether or not the music is old or new.  We aren't paid for reviews so I review whatever I feel like.

Any to borrow from Robert Fripp's Exposure - "Well get out, there's the door, well get out, there's the door, and your a cocaine sniffer, you're going to have a baby and you don't even know if it's..."LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>