Topic ClosedRap is bigger than The Beatles? A New Study

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rap is bigger than The Beatles? A New Study
    Posted: May 07 2015 at 13:04
The folks at the University of London, who obviously have too much grant money and time on their hands, have come up with a nifty "computerized" study that states the impact of Rap music outweighs the rock music of the British Invasion movement of the early 60s (ie., bands like The Beatles, The Who, The Stones, etc.). The article can be found here:

I read the article a few times and scratched my head. The gist of how the study was conducted is as follows:

Quote The researchers analyzed 30-second snippets of roughly 17,000 songs from the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 charts from 1960 to 2010.

Computer programs were used to categorize each song based on musical properties, instrumentation used, chord patterns and other elements.

Naturally, one of my first thoughts was what musical properties and instrumentation go into a rap song, as opposed to, say, The Beatles' "Eleanor Rigby", which features a classical string ensemble (an octet of strings)? It's valid because "Eleanor Rigby" was on the Billboard charts.

Another thought would be that the researchers did not take into account the borrowed music samples that serve as the basis for many rap songs. Zeppelin's "Kashmir" was not a single when the album Physical Graffiti was released, but it is basically the entire rap song "Come With Me" with Puff Daddy (P Diddy-dum-diddy-doo) basically muttering guttural inanities over the repeating "Kashmir" sample.

And a final thought regards the statement "The authors also rejected the assertion that today’s pop music is increasingly homogenized." To me, that assertion renders the study flawed beyond redemption, because it is a valid concern. Not to mention that they looked strictly at "Top 100" hits, which would eliminate hundreds of landmark albums from the process, as well as songs like "Stairway to Heaven", "Aqualung" and other important compositions that were never available as singles.

What are your thoughts, other than beating the Brit researchers over the head with Flavor Flav's alarm clock? 

Edited by The Dark Elf - May 08 2015 at 08:06
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2015 at 13:13
I did a study and concluded that this study is dumb. 

Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
thebeastmustdie View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2015 at 13:16
The study makes no sense from what they've explained in that link. There's no comparison data at all. What exactly do they mean by 'influence'?

Quote The unusual study found three revolutions on the charts: the 1991 emergence of rap and hip-hop on mainstream charts; the synth-led new wave movement of 1983, and the advent of the Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who and other British rockers in the early 1960s.

anyone with a passing interest in pop music could've told you this already.

Quote Although the Beatles – paced by the songwriting of John Lennon and Paul McCartney – enjoy perhaps the highest place in critics’ esteem, the researchers found the hip-hop movement – from pioneers like Afrika Bambaataa to megastars like Jay-Z – more profound.

what do they mean by "more profound"?

is there a link to the results of the actual test? All seems very vague to me...

Edited by thebeastmustdie - May 07 2015 at 13:16
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2015 at 13:21
Originally posted by thebeastmustdie thebeastmustdie wrote:

...is there a link to the results of the actual test? All seems very vague to me...
Oh, I am sure there is a link, but I've already wasted far too much time on the subject. LOL
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
thebeastmustdie View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2015 at 13:42
fair enough.

Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2015 at 14:04
I don't believe in studies.
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2015 at 14:24
I only will want to say Apache by the Shadows, and African-Bambata, thread, Hotel California thread, and Fela Kuti.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2015 at 14:30
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

I did a study and concluded that this study is dumb. 

LOL
That works for me.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2015 at 17:50
Modern day rap =
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 03:02
Researchers say that a study is taken more seriously if it begins with "Researchers say".

Edited by npjnpj - May 08 2015 at 03:03
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 03:05
That was actually a pretty funny readLOL

Speaking personally here, but I do think I listen to more hip hop than I listen to The Beatles - that is without agreeing with this "study" though...ho ho.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 03:26
Just a laugh. I don't think that the impact of Crap will ever outweigh the influence of true scientific studies.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 07:41
I will read this study soon, but what already seems dubious in the premise of this study is that the researchers make a comparison between ONE band (the Beatles) and a whole musical movement (and one mustn't forget that rap music is also associated to the hip-hop culture, with dance, graffiti, fashion, etc...)
It would be like comparing the influence on American history by Kennedy and one hand, and the influence of the Republican Party on another hand.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 08:00
deja vu?

We've been here before. www.bris.ac.uk/news/2011/8116.html ... there reading the study itself gave a completely different story to the one reported in the popular press, so until I see the content of this study I'll read the reporting of its "conclusions" without comment.
What?
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 08:50
Rap as a genre is obviously larger and more diverse than the musical output of a single band, but I am not sure how you can compare the influence of one or the other.
NYSPORTSFAN View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2015 at 09:15
I guess according to this study then Kraftwerk and Black Sabbath are not influential either.

I love both The Beatles and The Rolling Stones let's get out of the way first but the study is comparing a genre of music with singular bands. I do want to point out one thing The Beatles were actually one of first rock bands to experiment with looping and sampling which are dominant in Hip-Hop.

The facts are what this study is severely missing is without The Beatles led British Invasion would we have musical exchange between American and British rock/pop artists that was basically non-existent before them. Just think about that. 

Without The Beatles would we have The Byrds, The Grateful Dead etc... forming as rock bands and countless others? Would Brian have created Pet Sounds without Rubber Soul? 

The majority of American garage rock bands were influenced by The Rolling Stones and The Kinks. In turn they influenced the British bands. By the way The Beatles music was highly influential in influencing other British rock bands including King Crimson and Black Sabbath. 

Another thing many of The Beatles influential songs like "Tomorrow Never Knows", "A Day In The Life", "Helter Skelter" and "I Want You (She's So Heavy" were not pop hits as they were never released as singles.

Edited by NYSPORTSFAN - May 09 2015 at 09:15
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2015 at 09:33
From the publishers of the study 'Women have more penises than men'?
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2015 at 12:12
Ermm A common problem in Amsterdam so I hear.
What?
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2015 at 01:38
Doesn't strike me as that unlikely, even though it's probably very select demographics where it's true that hip-hop is more popular than The Beatles, a lot of people my age aren't that interested in guitar-based rock music or previous generations of pop.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2015 at 02:00
Has there been a preponderance of quality songwriting and traditional song-craft in the mainstream charts for the last five ten umpteen years? Of course not, ergo Rap (and other less 'song' based styles) must be more influential on contemporary mainstream Popular music than the Beatles. Ermm

Edited by ExittheLemming - May 11 2015 at 02:01
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>