Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRevolver vs Sgt. Pepper's'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: What Beatle album most influenced early prog?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
26 [57.78%]
19 [42.22%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2015 at 22:58
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Peppers by a mile.  Revolver has many songs I consider average where Peppers is perfect beginning to end...the 1st prog concept album Wink

Sgt. Pepper is not a concept album, prog or otherwise.

Thank you for your expert opinion...the key word being opinion.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2015 at 23:07

My choice is Revolver for the simple fact that it was released a year prior to Sgt. Pepper and also ground breaking progressive at the time. Approve hug Hug

P.S. Eleanor Rigby, da dadadidumda dada daaa.... LOL more Hug

Edited by Kati - May 07 2015 at 23:10
madspace View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2015 at 23:32
Revolver by a landslide. One of the best albums of all time imo, for sure my favourite Beatles record. So astonishingly innovative, still sounds phenomenal today.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 00:27
Sgt. Pepper's picked up where Revolver left off - the Evolver of Revolver, so to speak.  So one is the fruition of the innovations begun in the other.  Ying Yang  I will go with my first thought on this - Revolver.  It is more consistent, but has nothing on it that beats the best Sgt. Pepper's such as A Day in the Life, Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds, or Within You Without You; at the same time it doesn't have anything on it as silly as Good Morning Good Morning.  I once compared Sgt. Pepper's to Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys and was surprised at how poorly in aged in comparison.  The same goes for Revolver.  Sgt. Pepper's hasn't aged as well is what I am saying.  Still, it stands as one of the great albums of its era, and one of the most influential ever.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 01:54
I love both, since I grew up with them. If I had to choose, I have to say Revolver, if only because it sounds a bit fresher. 
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 02:35
My alltime favourite Beatles tune is A Day In The Life, but that is the only one off Pepper that I dig. The rest doesn't grab me. Revolver for me.

Btw I felt like we just did this topic and made a search. The "old" thread wasn't a poll though, but very much worth the read if you're wondering about these two albums.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 06:11

Peppers by a mile.  Revolver has many songs I consider average where Peppers is perfect beginning to end...the 1st prog concept album Wink

It's a bit more than that - Lennon himself has said that it started off as a concept but they lost interest after a while and it became a collection of unrelated songs. There was going to be a concept about early days in Liverpool (hence Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane which were going to be on the album originally) then became an concert/album by a fictitious band but only the first 2 tracks and the reprise really fit that.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 10:34

It's a bit more than that - Lennon himself has said that it started off as a concept but they lost interest after a while and it became a collection of unrelated songs. There was going to be a concept about early days in Liverpool (hence Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane which were going to be on the album originally) then became an concert/album by a fictitious band but only the first 2 tracks and the reprise really fit that.

I'm well aware of the story of how Sgt Peppers evolved...my point being that in my opinion it's the 1st prog concept album (even if that concept is less concrete than the classic 70's prog concept albums we all know and love).  The fact that it begins and reprises the Sgt Peppers theme and included one of, if not the 1st, integration of album cover artwork to song content makes it a concept album rather than just the random collection of singles and filler material that was the norm in popular music up to 1966.  People who weren't there seem to forget that Sgt Peppers (even with a loosely defined concept) was a revolutionary leap forward where pop went from being ritual dance music, to music to be listened to, analyzed, and intellectually explored.  Even if every song was not related in content to the Sgt and his friends, there was still a unifying theme implied that this fictional band created this masterpiece while the suit wearing Beatles watched in amazement Wink

Edited by The.Crimson.King - May 08 2015 at 10:36
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 10:41

I'm well aware of the story of how Sgt Peppers evolved...my point being that in my opinion it's the 1st prog concept album (even if that concept is less concrete than the classic 70's prog concept albums we all know and love).  The fact that it begins and reprises the Sgt Peppers theme and included one of, if not the 1st, integration of album cover artwork to song content makes it a concept album rather than just the random collection of singles and filler material that was the norm in popular music up to 1966.  People who weren't there seem to forget that Sgt Peppers (even with a loosely defined concept) was a revolutionary leap forward where pop went from being ritual dance music, to music to be listened to, analyzed, and intellectually explored.  Even if every song was not related in content to the Sgt and his friends, there was still a unifying theme implied that this fictional band created this masterpiece while the suit wearing Beatles watched in amazement Wink

Well stated, Crimso' King! I'm in league with your explanation of how 'Pepper's' was a true concept album for its time. When I think of a prog concept album, Nektar's Remember the Future comes to mind. I see your point here, though.
thebeastmustdie View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 11:18
Revolver, easily... Track for track it is siginificantly better IMO. Maybe if Sgt Pepper had included tracks like Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane, Fool On The Hill,  and I Am The Walrus instead of tracks I consider to be rather mediocre and throwaway by Beatles standards (A Little Help From My Friends, Benefit Of Mr Kite, When I'm 64, Good Morning Good Morning) then it would be a tougher decision.

p.s.  is there any reason why I'm not allowed to vote in polls on here? I'd appreciate any answer as I've already asked a couple of times. :)

edit: sorry I've just realised the actual question is not which is better, but which influenced prog more. not sure about that one, probably Peppers tbh...

Edited by thebeastmustdie - May 08 2015 at 11:21
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 11:37
^I think you have to have a certain amount of blogs in to start voting. Don't know how many though.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 11:41
ok thanks :)
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 12:36

Yes, I see your point. I agree there is a theme there (even if incomplete) and it was arguably the first album as a complete work of art (I believe it was the first album to have the lyrics on the sleeve), however my idea of a concept album is one with a continuing theme/story linking the songs (e.g. Lamb Lies Down) and there isn't one here.
I'm too young to have noticed the impact it made at the time but I've read enough of the comments from famous musicians to realise what an impact it was.
Cailyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 13:19
Originally posted by thebeastmustdie thebeastmustdie wrote:

p.s.  is there any reason why I'm not allowed to vote in polls on here? I'd appreciate any answer as I've already asked a couple of times. :)

I think you need to have 40 posts in before you can vote in a poll.
http://www.cailynmusic.com
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 13:33
Pepper
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 14:04
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 15:07
Originally posted by Cailyn Cailyn wrote:

Originally posted by thebeastmustdie thebeastmustdie wrote:

I think you need to have 40 posts in before you can vote in a poll.
Aha, thanks... well here's one more then Smile
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 18:19

Yes, I see your point. I agree there is a theme there (even if incomplete) and it was arguably the first album as a complete work of art (I believe it was the first album to have the lyrics on the sleeve), however my idea of a concept album is one with a continuing theme/story linking the songs (e.g. Lamb Lies Down) and there isn't one here.
I'm too young to have noticed the impact it made at the time but I've read enough of the comments from famous musicians to realise what an impact it was.

And if you consider that by the time The Lamb came out, Sgt Peppers was 7 years old and the concept album had certainly evolved into a high prog art form during those developing years.  From the humble beginning of Sgt Peppers->Billy Shears->Sgt Peppers Reprise->cover art (and yes, I believe it is correct that Peppers was the 1st album to print the lyrics on the sleeve) defining a concept album, you had such integrated concept masterpieces as The Lamb/Tales/Quadrophenia/Passion Play/etc.  

I liken it to the evolution of classical music...before Mozart composed Don Giovanni, Bach had to write minuets Wink
NYSPORTSFAN View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2015 at 09:41
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

The answer would appear simple, but Revolver was ahead of its time in its own right and came first. Your thoughts.

The Beatles biggest influence on progressive rock was their ability to create diverse studio experimental rock albums that was accessible to not only to other musicians but to the general public. I think it started with Rubber Soul when it concerns The Beatles. This was probably a big influence on rock music in general in 1965.  

However, the facts are not only is Revolver one of the first albums of psychedelic rock but it employed many varied musical styles and many recording techniques that were not common in rock.

Some of examples that stand out are the symphony of tape loops on "Tomorrow Never Knows", backward guitar leads and solo "I'm Only Sleeping" full fusion of rock and Indian instrumentation "Love You To", strings/vocals/no rock instrumentation approach of "Eleanor Rigby", sampling on "Yellow Submarine. There was liberal use of automatic double tracking and vocals through guitars amps and leslie speaker. 

I love Sgt. Peppers and I can see how it influenced progressive rock in how its structured and it's relation with the album art work.

There is obviously a recurring theme with the title track and reprise. Many of the  songs are linked by the use of crossfading with found sounds or tape loops. Pink Floyd "Dark Side of The Moon" and "The Wall" are literally structured in this manner.

Many of the songs have complex switching of time signatures, songs with multiple sections, avant elements and rock music with symphonic elements.

Edited by NYSPORTSFAN - May 09 2015 at 09:54
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2015 at 12:50
There would not be a SP's without Revolver. Next question.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>