Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSimon Frith

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Simon Frith
    Posted: May 28 2015 at 19:41
Recently I discover that Fred Frith brother is a Historian and Musicologist (I saw in wikipedia even the term sociomusicologist aplied to him: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Frith).

It happens that there is a lot (a LOT) of articles and books of him to download, and I've read a bit of this and a bit of that... I got quite surprise with the whole thing. He's very academic, dense but not difficult.

I created this topic here because it seems more apropriated. Has somebody here read something of him? Have a opinion about it?
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2015 at 04:25
Yes, and he is no particular friend of prog rock (ironically) - I read his 'Sociology of Rock' years ago and wasn't too impressed.  Of course, Fred Frith is now a Professor of Music - I'd be more inclined to learn from him rather than his brother!
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2015 at 06:22
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

Yes, and he is no particular friend of prog rock (ironically) - I read his 'Sociology of Rock' years ago and wasn't too impressed.  Of course, Fred Frith is now a Professor of Music - I'd be more inclined to learn from him rather than his brother!

Really interesting. Because I saw an article that he argues to save "popular music" from the "populists", and I though that were going to lead to something positive even to the prog rock.

Fred Frith also wrote books, right?
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2015 at 09:02
I am not sure if Fred has written any books (off the top of my head) - it's bandmate Chris Cutler who does the writing, i.e. 'File Under Popular'.  It is his contributions to the making and performing of music that has earned Fred Frith his academic positions (along with former colleagues, Anthony Moore).  Just to add to the list, Georgie Born (also ex Henry Cow) is also an Oxford professor.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2015 at 19:45
Oh, yeah, thats right. I switched who made what.

I'am deeply into this now... seriously thinking in spending some money on their books.
 Post Reply Post Reply