Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYES - Progeny YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: YES - Progeny YES!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted: June 01 2015 at 19:02
I've been listening to the new YES - Progeny for a few days now.

All I can say is:  "Holy Best Band of All Time, Batman!!!!!"

These old tapes came out of retirement/banishment and we now have what I think will go down
as the greatest classic period progressive music release of our time. If there are any
questions about this simply listen to Yours Is No Disgrace from the Nassau Coliseum.

I was sitting on the fence whether to get the two CD or the deluxe box.  The box set
is BY FAR the way to go.  This YES - Progeny set is an instant classic.

Oh by the way, it was down-mixed from the multi-tracks in pure analog on tape machines
and analog gear.

Wow.

Beer    Beer    Beer   Beer
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 20:05
Amazon sent me vinyl when I ordered the CDs, so have to wait to return the mis-order.  However, now I know what I'm looking forward to.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 21:32
So, how different are this concerts among themselves? And more important, how different are they to Yessongs? Are they really better, either in performance or in sound quality?
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 23:32
Thanks for the updates!  I saw Yes on 22 September, 1972, with the Eagles opening.  They played the Arie Crown Theater in Chicago, which is noted to this day for its "perfect" acoustics. 

Sadly, I don't think they included that show in this collection.  However, I can vouch for the energy that the band played with on that tour, they were remarkable!  

I also would like to compare/contrast these to "Yessongs."  A friend sent me the CD, and I've come to appreciate that release quite a bit more than the vinyl. 
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2015 at 20:04
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

So, how different are this concerts among themselves? And more important, how different are they to Yessongs? Are they really better, either in performance or in sound quality?

Ola Amigo!

They are VERY different, that is what amazed me.  I am not a fan of repeated boots of the same tour, but this is different.

Mind you YES are not a jam band, so the song structures remain.  The solos vary a lot, the feel of the songs vary...

Just listening to the various shows, it is obvious that this is a set of treasures.  Wakeman's solo varies
more than I would have thought. 

Simply an amazing release after all these years.  AND the stereo panning brings MUCH more clarity
than on YESSONGS.   The release has a clearer sound than YESSONGS. 

A must own for any YES fan.

@Chuck, Yep, you could be my Dad. Thumbs Up

I was just a skinny teen when I saw YES for the first time in 1977.    ;)
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2015 at 23:16
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Ola Amigo!

They are VERY different, that is what amazed me.  I am not a fan of repeated boots of the same tour, but this is different.

Mind you YES are not a jam band, so the song structures remain.  The solos vary a lot, the feel of the songs vary...

Just listening to the various shows, it is obvious that this is a set of treasures.  Wakeman's solo varies
more than I would have thought. 

Simply an amazing release after all these years.  AND the stereo panning brings MUCH more clarity
than on YESSONGS.   The release has a clearer sound than YESSONGS. 

A must own for any YES fan.

@Chuck, Yep, you could be my Dad. Thumbs Up

I was just a skinny teen when I saw YES for the first time in 1977.    ;)

Oh man, I had made my mind, almost from the beginning, that this was too much and didn't plan on spending so much money (I guess, I haven't checked it out yet) on so many versions of the same show (that's why I didn't consider the Larks Toungues set either). Now you are making me wonder if I should rethink my choice.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2015 at 06:20
Working my way through them at the moment and enjoying what I'm hearing. Definitely the equal of Yessongs, though I wouldn't say better....at least not yet. Understandably the songs from Yessongs that featured Bruford were from an earlier tour and don't feature here but I wonder why we don't get Starship Trooper?
Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2015 at 08:25
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Working my way through them at the moment and enjoying what I'm hearing. Definitely the equal of Yessongs, though I wouldn't say better....at least not yet. Understandably the songs from Yessongs that featured Bruford were from an earlier tour and don't feature here but I wonder why we don't get Starship Trooper?

As the http://forgotten-yesterdays.com/  website says, "Starship Tropper"  was never played in concert by YES with Bill Bruford on drums when he was a member of the band and before he left the band in mid 1972. In fact,  the first time that song was played in concert by the band was in 15-December 1972 at the Rainbow Theatre in London, but with Alan White on drums, and in fact that same first live version of the song  is the one that was included in the "Yessongs" album and also in the film of the same name. Great live version, in my opinion. Being that the live recordings from "Progeny" were recorded in November 1972, that is the reason "Starship Trooper" was not included in the "Progeny" album.

Bruford played the song in concert for the first time with "Anderson-Bruford-Wakeman-Howe" in their tour in 1989-1990. YES also played the song with both Bruford and White on drums in a few dates during the "Union Tour" in 1991.

http://forgotten-yesterdays.com/songs.asp?qsectionid=1&ftype=1&qitemid=19

Edited by Guillermo - June 07 2015 at 08:36
Avatar: Photo of Solar Eclipse, Mexico City, July 1991. A great experience to see. Maybe once in a lifetime.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2015 at 08:44
Originally posted by Guillermo Guillermo wrote:

Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

As the http://forgotten-yesterdays.com/  website says, "Starship Tropper"  was never played in concert by YES with Bill Bruford on drums when he was a member of the band and before he left the band in mid 1972. In fact,  the first time that song was played in concert by the band was in 15-December 1972 at the Rainbow Theatre in London, but with Alan White on drums, and in fact that same first live version of the song  is the one that was included in the "Yessongs" album and also in the film of the same name. Great live version, in my opinion. Being that the live recordings from "Progeny" were recorded in November 1972, that is the reason "Starship Trooper" was not included in the "Progeny" album.

Bruford played the song in concert for the first time with "Anderson-Bruford-Wakeman-Howe" in their tour in 1989-1990. YES also played the song with both Bruford and White on drums in a few dates during the "Union Tour" in 1991.

http://forgotten-yesterdays.com/songs.asp?qsectionid=1&ftype=1&qitemid=19

Right, so they never started playing it until later in the tour - that explains it. thanks. Smile
Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2015 at 08:49
Smile
Avatar: Photo of Solar Eclipse, Mexico City, July 1991. A great experience to see. Maybe once in a lifetime.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2015 at 16:21
Going through the box now...some great stuff, especially from Howe and Wakey. A few bits are superfluous, especially the guitar solo spot, but overall there are some gems in here.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2015 at 21:31
Dude those samples sound great! I hope I can hear this all one day!!
Stereolab View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2015 at 20:46
A superb release, a must-buy for any Yes fan. I will never, ever get tired of listening to "Heart Of The Sunrise".
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2015 at 08:05
I've been on a total YES kick as of late, so this thread is perfectly timed. I'll have to go give Progeny another spin!
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2015 at 00:08
I wish they'd release the albums show-by-show.....in fact, I wish they'd revisit every year from 69-73 and release individual shows from that period.  The box set format that is becoming the norm - entire discography in one purchase to beat the digital bootleggers - is not only too expensive, it's exhausting.....it's great to have a slew of shows from the same tour, but it's a burden to have to pull the set out all the time to justify spending a hundred bucks.  I'll stick to my old bootlegs, thank you.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
 Post Reply Post Reply