Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPROGDAY 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: PROGDAY 2015
    Posted: September 10 2015 at 18:37
Originally posted by progrockdeepcuts progrockdeepcuts wrote:

Billy's health is in better shape now, but he's on antibiotics for a year (hence his early bed every night). He missed out on a lot this year, unfortunately, but I'm just glad he made it.

good to hear Clap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
progrockdeepcuts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 17:59
Billy's health is in better shape now, but he's on antibiotics for a year (hence his early bed every night). He missed out on a lot this year, unfortunately, but I'm just glad he made it.

Edited by progrockdeepcuts - September 10 2015 at 17:59

Listen to older shows here: mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 17:56
Ian, I had no idea of Billy's health issues. I am happy he was able to make it to ProgDay, and hope that everything is in the rear view mirror now. It was great to see you again, and hope there will be other opportunities before next year!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 17:54
oh wow Ian. I didn't know that about Billy.. great to have seen him. Hope all is now well with him.

Great review Clap  Yeah.. I'm glad I picked up some Mercury Tree albums..  I did enjoy the live set (think I missed the bad offending vocal bit as I was trying to steal Cheyenne's heart with my powerful masculity and 'the hat') I did enjoy what I heard... enjoy the albums even more.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
progrockdeepcuts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 17:47
I love this thread.

This was my third ProgDay and by far, the best one yet. I'd just come off of two weeks of the new school semester and was feeling kind of weird - I don't like big changes in life. It takes me awhile to adjust. Not to mention, the previous summer had been kind of wonky, particularly since my buddy, Billy spent most of the time in the hospital and his condition was potentially life threatening. We were fearful he might not even recover in time for ProgDay. So, I had been saying for awhile that I *needed* a break, most specifically - ProgDay.

So, this time it fell on my birthday weekend, and how appropriate is that? I can't imagine any better way to spend my birthday and quite frankly, it was the best time I've had on my birthday in awhile. I actually had been having ProgDay dreams - mostly involving people on stage playing bassoons, because the two bands I was most excited for had them.

I heard Ut Gret thanks to Raff's suggestion last year and fell in love with them instantly. A shoe-in. Jack o' the Clock was new to me, but I knew the name, so I used the ProgDay connection as an excuse to finally get off my butt and actually explore. Let me tell you, I've heard a lot of amazing things for the first time this year, usually a new thing a day, or a week at least - including people like XTC, Kate Bush, Beach Boys' Pet Sounds and SMiLE ... so it should tell you I mean business when I say Jack o' the Clock (and another incredible modern US band called Bent Knee) are two of the best things I've heard all year. All the other bands were new to me.

Eccentric Orbit opened and I have to say, didn't connect well with me. I don't know if it's because I didn't sleep well the night before or if their style is better suited to indoors, but they felt a tad predictable to me. This could very well be a case that, as Raff and others have said, they played two Genesis covers which I may or may not have heard at some point. They could be lurking in the subconscious! I'm not a huge Genesis guy these days, so it slipped by me. Anyway, I want to see them again with the B movie deal. I love B movies.

Ut Gret slayed. Absolutely, positively freakin' slayed. No question about it. They played just about every song on the album and even took my (and Micky's) request. Cheyenne Mize rules on vox and violin, and so do the woodwinds - Jackie Belcher and Steve Good on bassoon and clarinet respectively. Jackie is taking the bassoon to places it's never been and certainly wasn't intended to go. She's an innovator. These guys rocked really hard and put on a show that was better than the record.

I really liked the Mercury Tree. At first, they drew me in, but lost me with the screaming vox. I learned to live with it. Most of my friends and I were divided on this and I took some ribbing for it, but I enjoyed their set enough to buy a disc. I thought they were doing some interesting things and exploring interesting styles and it was enough to want to explore further.

TRYO started at the time of the day when I was rather burned out. They played really well, but their style of fusion music isn't really my thing. However, I enjoyed it more as it went on.

Pascal Gutman were a fun and Crimsony way to open the next day. I liked them a lot better than TRYO, I have to say - but found myself wishing Ramses would put down the E-Wi and play the real deal. As a fan of electronic music and someone who's seriously considered buying an E-Wi, I was burned out on them by that point. I really appreciated his artistry with it, but found myself burned out on it quickly. Loved the set when the soprano was in hand.

Jack o' the Clock were my most highly anticipated band of the weekend. I really loved the way the dulcimer mixed with the bassoon and violin and to me, it recalled an almost gamelan sound. To be honest, I'd never seen a dulcimer or heard one knowingly, so it was a cool addition. The bassoon almost filled in an electric guitar role in the band which I really enjoyed and the mixture of timbres worked in a truly unique way. It was cool also to spend some time chatting with the main guy, Damon Waitkus; I truly believe he is one of modern prog's few geniuses. Genuine, deep, down to earth guy with a talent for writing that prog has always mostly lacked.

Marbin were killer - plus, they were a fun way to shake off the deep concentration required for Jack o the Clock. The two main cats play like they are of one mind and the writing is super hip. Unfortunately, a little bit of this kind of stuff goes a long way and I was pulled from my seat by Damon, whom I'd asked for a picture with. I had no problem with that. I ended up spending the time with Damon and his compatriots in Jack-o', but could still hear Marbin tearing it up in the background. Best of both worlds. I also had the chance to have a wonderful chat with Micheal "Mr. ProgDay" Bennett himself, which is awesome considering we've unsuccessfully attempted to connect in years past. Also amazing - being approached by a girl only a few years older than me who listens to my show. Always makes my day when the 'no females in prog' cliche is proven outdated!

Last was Quantum Fantay who were an absolute blast. They went on a bit, but I enjoyed their variety and exploration of different cultures through music. Very Gong / Ozrics, very good. I bought a bunch of their stuff.

The social aspect was the best part. I actually spent more time socializing than I have in previous years and it was great to talk with like minded people who share my passion for progressive music. I had dinner with the Carrs' every night which was a fun journey through Japanese, Mexican, and ... well, burgers, plus breakfast Saturday with the Grets. The Grets!! Also was great to see my good friend and cohost, Mike Lieto (prog runs in his family thanks to Frogg Cafe) who lives too far away to see as often as I like. Mike and I went down to the pool party and had a blast Monday morning, talking to Paul Sears who is an absolute treat. We also had a terrific conversation with Trev Wignall, who performed violin on the preshow and guested with Quantum Fantay. The discussion mostly centered around electronic music, which was okay with me! Also, great to talk with Debi Byrd whom I've developed a friendship with over the past few years. She's a total sweetheart.

So, basically, long story short - ProgDay was the best thing that could've happened to me right now and I absolutely can't wait to go back next year! Also should mention that I spent way too much money at the merch table, but that's another story.

Edited by progrockdeepcuts - September 10 2015 at 17:53

Listen to older shows here: mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 16:14
oh something neither Raff nor Ian mention.. there is another reason Progday is so great.

Paul Sears.

spend an hour sitting around the pool with him.. and like I have been 4 days later.. you are still laughing at his 40 years of prog war stories. If ever some one needed to write a book.. he does. What a character.

Edited by micky - September 10 2015 at 16:15
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 15:54
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I thought Adele had said previously that there was no way she was doing a Krautrock one as the subject had already been very well covered.

maybe so...  it was just a rumor I heard. I would have thought it came from the post screening discussion. We couldn't stay up for that.

As far as being covered well..  IMO hardly.. I can't think of a comprehensive English language documentary on the scene.  I thought those films hit hardest when they educate. Like the Rio-Avant one did, which (next to Raff) was reason #2 why I got so heavy into the scene. 

I'm sure there are a great many things and aspects to that scene that a film could uncover and spotlight for anyone but the most expert on the scene. Same as any other volume in the series.

Edited by micky - September 10 2015 at 15:55
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 15:47
I thought Adele had said previously that there was no way she was doing a Krautrock one as the subject had already been very well covered.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 15:27
It also seems it came out, perhaps at the screening of the Romantic Warriors film which we could not stay up for starting as late as it did, what the subject of the next Romantic Warrior movie will be...

Krautrock.. by god I salivate at the interviews and old video clips Jose and Adele will dig up of ADII and Can.

Hopefully the next will be RPI and Raff and I will get prominent spots hahahha.  Hint hint...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 15:22

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

great review darling.. though I did enjoy Mercury Tree more than you did LOL

Why thank you darling. Wink

LOLHeart

It was great to see you again Ian.. I did pick up and it resonated .. a comment one of the bands made between songs. It isn't just a music festival.. it is like one big family reunion.  Thankfully Michael runs this thing the right way, even if we bitch about 'late' band announcements,  the music is only a part of it.  I remember the time they were forced to get a last second replacement for the festival closer..Quantam Fantay.. and who did they get.

a damned metal band.. and we ate it up..LOL

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 15:09
LOLLOLLOL
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 15:05
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Why thank you darling. Wink
Ian

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 14:42
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 14:37
Very nice review Raffa, seems we agree on quite a lot :)
Ian

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 14:33
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Great job, IanThumbs Up! And here's mine: http://progmistress.com/2015/09/10/live-review-progday-2015-more-bassoon/

heading that way!!Clap
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 14:29

ProgDay Review

I had a wonderful time at ProgDay as usual, the weather was particularly nice, a load of friends were there, I managed to keep a cap on my CD spending (despite buying one I already own). Probably the only complaint I had was that the eggs provided for breakfast at the hotel were particularly awful.

Of the bands

Eccentric Orbit opened up the festival with their trademark spacey vibe, they certainly know how to groove and groove. I think they suffered a little from being outdoors and not being able to back project the 50's Sci-Fi movies that were an integral part of their show last time I saw them. I have a soft spot for the band with my friend Rick playing drums and PE member Bill (Sputnik) and his wife in the band. Thoroughly enjoyed the set (B+)

Ut Gret were up next, they were one of three bands that I knew well and was really looking forward to seeing. They have an interesting instrumentation with Bassoon being a lead instrument along with keys. They had arranged to bring guest singer Cheyenne Mize to perform (she guested on the last album) to significant impact. Her beautiful vocals really complement the music, she would be a great permanent addition to the band. Their sound is hard to describe with elements of Chamber, Folk, Avant, Americana. Really wonderful captivating performance and one of the highlights of the festival (A+)

The Mercury Tree came with significant recommendations from PE'ers boilk & progeezer so I was looking forward to them. I was a bit worried when the first track suddenly went into cookie monster vocals but not to worry the lead vocalist and multi-instrumentalist Ben Spees took over with a much more appealing approach. TMT's sound is a heavily PT-type influenced with atmospheric dark feel. I enjoyed their set but didn't find anything particularly new or exciting, they'd probably benefit from playing late at night in a basement club at full volume (B-)

Last up on Saturday was Tryo, a Chilean trio (unsurprisingly) featuring guitar, bass & drums. Primarily fusion but with traces of folk & metal. Very tight and very professional, excellent closeout to the day that seemed to go down really well with the crowd (B)

First up on Sunday was the Pascal Gutman Trio, a supergroup of sorts featuring Kiko King of Cast on drums and Ramses Luna (of CDC) on wind midi, alto sax, a plethora of pedal effects, whistle and who knows what else. The main man Pascal was the leader on Chapman Stick. Really excellent interesting mix of instrumental music. At times they had a Crimsony feel which is kind of unavoidable with a Stick. A real surprise to me & I hope they get in the studio to release some of this stuff. My daughter Alex's favorite band of the weekend (A-)

Jack O The Clock were the other band I was really looking forward to, they are one of the best modern edgy experimental bands performing today, all three albums are excellent. This was the the first performance away from the West Coast for this San Fran band I was ecstatic that I'd get the chance to see them. I'd have made the trip if they were the only band performing. The band is led by Damon Waitkus on Hammer Dulcimer & Guitar and features Bassoon (the 2nd at the festival!!), Violin, Bass & Drums. They perform a Chamber Folk Americana blend with dark intense lyrics. I was a little worried they wouldn't be able to recreate their albums that feature a large number of guest instruments and numerous layering of effect. Not to worry, they were simply captivating, I was transported into a blissful zone by the band. It was a hour of pure heaven. The highlight of the weekend for me (A++++)

Marbin had the difficult task of following JOTC and unsurprisingly I had to sit back and take a bit of a breather during their performance. A four piece featuring guitar, sax, bass & drums, mainly a fusion band with rock & blues elements. They were one of the tightest most professional bands of the weekend. They tour relentlessly and it shows in their insane chops. My only issue was typically what I find struggle with in fusion bands performing live, the straight jazz intro's really capture me but then we go into frenetic soloing with the awesome chops but gets a little tiring after the third or fourth track. (B-)

Finally band of the festival was Quantum Fantay, a Belgian Space Rock band, I knew nothing about them going into the festival other than I should probably like them as I'm a fan of this kind of stuff. They were clearly Ozric influenced as they have a similar if slightly heavier sound. They sure could groove with the guitarist & keyboardist laying down layer upon layer of vibe backed by the relentless drive of the rhythm section. Really good end to the festival with stacks of atmosphere. Maybe their finale went a little long as I was tired by then but great set. (A-)

What a wonderful weekend put on by the outstanding organizers. I had a great great time, see ya next year peeps.

Clap

I agree.. perhaps the best of the ones we have been to in terms of overall bands.  All of them A's or B's. Whereas other years had at least one C (or less)

Funny..  Jack O' The Clock didn't connect live near as much as their albums have after seeing them. I sense and hear aspects of their studio albums that didn't make it, or translated well, live.

I bought all their albums and have enjoyed them immensely over the last few days. Clap

My top 4 ..

UT Gret... amazing amazing amazing..  we need more bassoon in prog and I thought it was more upfront and utilized more powerfully than with JO'C. 

Eccentric Orbit... talk about a band having the power to defeat a massive hangover..  LOVED that set and again got all their albums. Fabulous stuff

Pascal Gutman Trio... now that was some fabulous stuff man.. again a great band to open the day. While it didn't have to kill a hangover it did have to kill (or temporarily set aside) the bad news we got of Djalma's  passing.

Jack O' The Clock...  I love .. absoutely LOVEd aspects of their set.. but something was missing that just didn't connect to bump them higher.  Perhaps I simply wanted more of that dulcimer.. fabulous stuff man.. and those vocals and harmonies. Simply Intoxicating. Clap

Edited by micky - September 10 2015 at 14:32
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 14:07
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 22:02
ProgDay Review

I had a wonderful time at ProgDay as usual, the weather was particularly nice, a load of friends were there, I managed to keep a cap on my CD spending (despite buying one I already own). Probably the only complaint I had was that the eggs provided for breakfast at the hotel were particularly awful.

Of the bands

Eccentric Orbit opened up the festival with their trademark spacey vibe, they certainly know how to groove and groove. I think they suffered a little from being outdoors and not being able to back project the 50's Sci-Fi movies that were an integral part of their show last time I saw them. I have a soft spot for the band with my friend Rick playing drums and PE member Bill (Sputnik) and his wife in the band. Thoroughly enjoyed the set (B+)

Ut Gret were up next, they were one of three bands that I knew well and was really looking forward to seeing. They have an interesting instrumentation with Bassoon being a lead instrument along with keys. They had arranged to bring guest singer Cheyenne Mize to perform (she guested on the last album) to significant impact. Her beautiful vocals really complement the music, she would be a great permanent addition to the band. Their sound is hard to describe with elements of Chamber, Folk, Avant, Americana. Really wonderful captivating performance and one of the highlights of the festival (A+)

The Mercury Tree came with significant recommendations from PE'ers boilk & progeezer so I was looking forward to them. I was a bit worried when the first track suddenly went into cookie monster vocals but not to worry the lead vocalist and multi-instrumentalist Ben Spees took over with a much more appealing approach. TMT's sound is a heavily PT-type influenced with atmospheric dark feel. I enjoyed their set but didn't find anything particularly new or exciting, they'd probably benefit from playing late at night in a basement club at full volume (B-)

Last up on Saturday was Tryo, a Chilean trio (unsurprisingly) featuring guitar, bass & drums. Primarily fusion but with traces of folk & metal. Very tight and very professional, excellent closeout to the day that seemed to go down really well with the crowd (B)

First up on Sunday was the Pascal Gutman Trio, a supergroup of sorts featuring Kiko King of Cast on drums and Ramses Luna (of CDC) on wind midi, alto sax, a plethora of pedal effects, whistle and who knows what else. The main man Pascal was the leader on Chapman Stick. Really excellent interesting mix of instrumental music. At times they had a Crimsony feel which is kind of unavoidable with a Stick. A real surprise to me & I hope they get in the studio to release some of this stuff. My daughter Alex's favorite band of the weekend (A-)

Jack O The Clock were the other band I was really looking forward to, they are one of the best modern edgy experimental bands performing today, all three albums are excellent. This was the the first performance away from the West Coast for this San Fran band I was ecstatic that I'd get the chance to see them. I'd have made the trip if they were the only band performing. The band is led by Damon Waitkus on Hammer Dulcimer & Guitar and features Bassoon (the 2nd at the festival!!), Violin, Bass & Drums. They perform a Chamber Folk Americana blend with dark intense lyrics. I was a little worried they wouldn't be able to recreate their albums that feature a large number of guest instruments and numerous layering of effect. Not to worry, they were simply captivating, I was transported into a blissful zone by the band. It was a hour of pure heaven. The highlight of the weekend for me (A++++)

Marbin had the difficult task of following JOTC and unsurprisingly I had to sit back and take a bit of a breather during their performance. A four piece featuring guitar, sax, bass & drums, mainly a fusion band with rock & blues elements. They were one of the tightest most professional bands of the weekend. They tour relentlessly and it shows in their insane chops. My only issue was typically what I find struggle with in fusion bands performing live, the straight jazz intro's really capture me but then we go into frenetic soloing with the awesome chops but gets a little tiring after the third or fourth track. (B-)

Finally band of the festival was Quantum Fantay, a Belgian Space Rock band, I knew nothing about them going into the festival other than I should probably like them as I'm a fan of this kind of stuff. They were clearly Ozric influenced as they have a similar if slightly heavier sound. They sure could groove with the guitarist & keyboardist laying down layer upon layer of vibe backed by the relentless drive of the rhythm section. Really good end to the festival with stacks of atmosphere. Maybe their finale went a little long as I was tired by then but great set. (A-)

What a wonderful weekend put on by the outstanding organizers. I had a great great time, see ya next year peeps.
Ian

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 18:23
Wonderful weekend, with great music, great weather and great company (not to mention great food). After a very trying year, it was a "rebirth" of sorts for me. I will be counting the days until the next edition - and write a nice review of the 2015 edition in the meantime.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 16:16
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I was tempted to buy a copy of it at the Prog festival I went to last May, but I ran out of money... It didn't take long Embarrassed

It never does does it LOL

Well my attempt to record their performance was .. well... a typical Micky clusterf**k..  seems I forgot the cardinal rule of recording live performances

don't sing along or hum the melodies. Cry

that was painful to watch and listen to... that shall remain buried in the McArchives of moments in time where..well... it seemed the right thing to doLOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>