FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSummer Madness: PA's Battle of the Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 21>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2015 at 15:47
in case anyone around is new to all this.. I've seen seen some new faces pop up.

the 17-32 moderns close tomorrow morning EST...  and then the 2nd round of the top half of the classics begin.

back to normal with the 2nd round...two enter.. one exit.. and there are some killer match ups in store tomorrow.  Thumbs Up

I did throw something different at these 2nd round polls... I hope everyone likes what I am doing. Not only the albums deserve a bit of spotlight via the polls.. but those that have tried to give some spotlight via review.  Spotlighting great (IMO of course) reviews of those albums. 32 albums tomorrow.. 32 different reviewers.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2015 at 17:20
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Having voted in all the polls, here are some personal stats. I voted for albums in the following subgenres:

SUBGENRE: CLASSIC/MODERN/TOTAL
symphonic 11/4/15
crossover 5/5/10
Canterbury 7/0/7
RIO/avant 0/6/6
neo 3/2/5
eclectic     2/2/4
heavy 0/3/3
jazz rock/fusion 0/3/3
Rock Progressivo Italiano 1/2/3
electronic 1/0/1
various 1/0/1
Zeuhl 1/0/1
experimental /post metal 0/1/1
prog folk 0/1/1
prog metal 0/1/1
psychedelic/space 0/1/1
tech/extreme post metal 0/1/1

Maybe it's interesting to do for others as well to test your own taste.
I see that in the modern polls my preferences are much more fragmentized than with classic prog.
Further on, in this new age of prog, RIO/avant and jazzrock/fusion seem to have taken the place of Canterbury in my personal hitparade.
In real life, I'm quite an RPI fan, that doesn't come out in the stats.      
Once again, thanks to Micky and all the people behind the (computer) screens for making the polls happen.
Interesting. I've done the numbers as well.

Classic/Modern/Total

RIO/Avant 5/6/11
Eclectic 3/3/6
Jazz Rock/Fusion 2/4/6
RPI 5/0/5
Crossover 1/4/5
Canterbury 4/0/4
Folk 3/1/4
Zeuhl 3/1/4
Post/Math 0/4/4
Symphonic 3/0/3
Tech/Extreme 0/3/3
Krautrock 2/0/2
Heavy 1/1/2
Prog Metal 0/2/2
Psychedelic/Space 0/2/2
Experimental/Post 0/1/1

Bar a couple of tactical votes, this gives a pretty good picture of my tastes, although I must say I'm surprised I gave RIO/Avant that many votes, almost as many as the next two combined, but that's the direction my taste is moving, I suppose. Eclectic and Fusion followes (as expected). Classic RPI, Canterbury, Folk and Zeuhl, as well as Post/Math Rock, well represented (not surprising), no Neo-Prog or modern Symphonic (no surprises their either LOL).

Yeah, as I said in the "What albums did you listen to today?"-thread, Micky, I've discovered a lot of new artist and albums to investigate further through these polls, with Mezquita perhaps being the pick of the bunch. Already ordered and received that one, along with a bunch of others. As Sam (Meltdowner) put it, I've got summer madness. LOL Can't wait to get back home from the family cabin, sometime next week, to spin them all. Thanks again for setting this up! Thumbs Up

Edited by The Bearded Bard - July 10 2015 at 17:21
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 02:11
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Clap and my thanks to everyone who helped put the modern lists together. That was truly a group effort with a lot of great suggestions.

I'll have to tabulate my votes by subs, I just have poll #32 to do and I'm doing that tonight. I have a feeling my votes did really come out on the RIO-Avant side which is not surprising since it, along with Xover, is ground zero of modern prog these days. My tastes have shifted I supposed and I tend to dig the more out there groups that those who are a bit more... ummm...  song based. As I've said, 5 years ago I would have been Xover all over the place and f**k the strange stuff...but my tastes shifted a bit while away from the site and  I have really made an effort to get into it and it doesn't hurt that my two prog mentors at the moment are the two leading lights of Avant prog here on the site LOL

Yes, I pictured you as quite a RIO/avant man these days.
Who are your two prog mentors BTW? I'm just being curious and nosy
Maybe we should have a prog mentor appreciation thread someday.   
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 02:18
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

Interesting. <span
Bar a couple of tactical votes, this gives a pretty good picture of my tastes, although I must say I'm surprised I gave RIO/Avant that many votes, almost as many as the next two combined, but that's the direction my taste is moving, I suppose. Eclectic and Fusion followes (as expected). Classic RPI, Canterbury, Folk and Zeuhl, as well as Post/Math Rock, well represented (not surprising), no Neo-Prog or modern Symphonic (no surprises their either LOL).

Yeah, as I said in the "What albums did you listen to today?"-thread, Micky, I've discovered a lot of new artist and albums to investigate further through these polls, with Mezquita perhaps being the pick of the bunch. Already ordered and received that one, along with a bunch of others. As Sam (Meltdowner) put it, I've got summer madness. LOL Can't wait to get back home from the family cabin, sometime next week, to spin them all. Thanks again for setting this up! Thumbs Up

Ah, you also moved towards RPI.
I'm wondering if that is a general tendency from listeners on the site.
Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 02:49
For this second half of the modern albums, I actually managed to go through and listen to at least decent samples of all the albums (I previously didn't have time, or wasn't that fussed) and found some great albums that I wasn't aware of, as have lots of people apparently. Cheers Micky (and everyone involved in making the list) for a great selection and competition so far!
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 05:51

Easy! Ian (aka Nogbad) and myselfWink. I developed an appreciation for out-of-left-field stuff when I started reviewing officially, so to speak, and got promos from very interesting bands and artists. Now a lot of traditional prog (not the classics) tends to bore me, though there are times when I draw the line.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 06:30
alrighty....  closing time for the moderns..

30 minutes.  Get those last votes in!!!
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 06:32
Originally posted by Kazza3 Kazza3 wrote:

For this second half of the modern albums, I actually managed to go through and listen to at least decent samples of all the albums (I previously didn't have time, or wasn't that fussed) and found some great albums that I wasn't aware of, as have lots of people apparently. Cheers Micky (and everyone involved in making the list) for a great selection and competition so far!

Clap
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 06:34
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Easy! Ian (aka Nogbad) and myselfWink. I developed an appreciation for out-of-left-field stuff when I started reviewing officially, so to speak, and got promos from very interesting bands and artists. Now a lot of traditional prog (not the classics) tends to bore me, though there are times when I draw the line.

Right! So you are his better half in more than one way
To be honest, I have the feeling that the boredom with more traditional prog (indeed, not the classics) is a road that is hard to avoid, once you delve into more adventurous, challenging stuff. Having voted for so many RIO/avant stuff, and even for Zeuhl, extreme tech etc in the polls is already a sign that I'm moving on myself.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 06:43

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Clap and my thanks to everyone who helped put the modern lists together. That was truly a group effort with a lot of great suggestions.

I'll have to tabulate my votes by subs, I just have poll #32 to do and I'm doing that tonight. I have a feeling my votes did really come out on the RIO-Avant side which is not surprising since it, along with Xover, is ground zero of modern prog these days. My tastes have shifted I supposed and I tend to dig the more out there groups that those who are a bit more... ummm...  song based. As I've said, 5 years ago I would have been Xover all over the place and f**k the strange stuff...but my tastes shifted a bit while away from the site and  I have really made an effort to get into it and it doesn't hurt that my two prog mentors at the moment are the two leading lights of Avant prog here on the site LOL

Indeed.

I think for me personally it was a weekend in 2010 that started me on the path towards the 'tuneless and talentless' as I used to joke before I was converted. The French Embassy sponsored a concert on the embassy grounds, a two day affair with Magma on the first day and UZ and Miriodor on the 2nd.  I took two things from that weekend.  That Stella Vander is godesss. We met over the dessert table at a VIP reception after the show that could have been the basis of sappy Hollywood movie if not her husband and my wife being 10' away. The 2nd.  That Canadian group Miriodor that I completely loved.

Soon after came the Romantic Warriors movie on the RIO-avant side which compltely fascinated and educated me on a scene and a lot of music I was ignorant of.  While Raff and Ian have been my mentors and guides, it has been the many live shows of these avant artists we have seen in these last 5 or so years that really sealed the appeal of the music to me (well.. very large portions of it haha)
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 06:53
last call.. last call... 5 minutes to close!!!!!!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 07:00
and now closing the polls... let's how how many tiebreakers we'll have to deal with this time. Last time I checked there were a LOT of close ones.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 07:17
results for the modern polls 17-32

poll #17 1) Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antenna's to Heaven - GY!BE 2) TIE between Brave and The Devouring

poll #18 1) De-loused In the Comatorium (2003) - The Mars Volta 2) ? (2005) - Neal Morse

poll #19 1) Unfolded Like Staircase (1997) - Discipline 2) From These Small Seeds (2010) - MoeTar

poll #20 1) Anno Domini High Definition (2009) - Riverside 2) Walk The Nile (2010) - elephant9

poll #21 1) TIE!! between 1000 Autunni and Perils

poll #22 1) Timeloss (2002) - Paatos 2) In Extremis (1998) - Thinking Plague

poll #23 1) Still Life (1999) - Opeth 2) s/t (2008) - Jean Louis

poll #24 1) TIE!!! between Maps Of Non-Existent Places and Energetic Disassembly

poll #25 1) Book of Horizons (2004) - Secret Chiefs 3 2) TIE!!! between Lux Ade and Unfold the Future and see it Sucks

poll #26 1) Jurassic Shift (1993) - Ozric Tentacles 2) Snowtorch (2011) - Phideaux

poll #27 1) Enter (2006)- Russian Circles 2) The Divine Wings of Tragedy (1996) - Symphony X

poll #28 1) In Absentia (2002) - Porcupine Tree 2) Lateralus (2001) - Tool

poll #29 1) Fear Draws Misfortune (2009) - Cheer Accident 2) TIE!!! between Op. Mindcrime and The Sensual World

poll #30 1) Spirit of Eden (1988) - Talk Talk 2) Frequency (2009) - IQ

poll #31 1) Soundtracks For The Blind (1996) - Swans 2) The Shaming Of The True (2000) - Kevin Gilbert

poll #32 1) V (2000) - Spock's Beard 2) Judgement (1999) - Anathema

ties to be broken by semi-secret 3 collab vote.. results to be announced later this week once the 3 of them get their votes in.

after a bit of break... next comes the 2nd round of the classics, top bracket
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 07:45
I only voted on the first four polls, it was a slow week Ermm
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 09:38
and got the last poll out as my phone rings... calling me back into work (was out late last night).. sh*t...

enjoy the polls everyone!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 10:35
welll that was quick.. judging by the lopsided votes.. it wasn't hard.

Final tiebreaker results for the just concluded 1st round of Modern polls

1st place ties:

by a result of 3-0
poll #21 1) Perils (2005) - Miasma & the Carousel of Headless 2) 1000 Autunni (2011) - Ske

by a result of 2-1
poll # 24 1) Maps of Non-Existent Places (2012) - Thank You Scientist 2)
Energetic Disassembly (1985) - Watchtower

2nd place ties:

by a result of 3-0
Poll #17 2)
The Devouring (1997) - Djam Karet over
Brave (1994) - Marillion which goes home. For shame LOL

by a result of 3-0
Poll #25 2)
Lux Ade (2006) - La Maschera di Cera over
Unfold the Future and see Retro Prog Sucks!!!  (2002) - The Flower Kings. For shame LOL

by a result of 3-0
Poll #29 2) Operation: Mindcrime (1988):
Queensryche over
The Sensual World (1989) - Kate Bush

I'll update and post the completed Modern Brackets. 2nd round starts next weekend!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2015 at 22:00
do do dododod do... do... DOO

its times to get down...

finally got around to updating the modern brackets.

top half of the 2nd round kicks off Saturday morning.. work permitting

http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=459422

Edited by micky - July 13 2015 at 22:01
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2015 at 22:28
These are the polls where my vote didn't change the number (my votes are in bold):

Hot Rats vs Hosianna Mantra
Caravanserai vs Script For A Jester's Tear
PG3 vs Phaedra

Magma America Great Make Again
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2015 at 05:45
noted Daryl...  don't think it will matter in the PG3 poll unfortunately LOL

working on an accelerated and fractured time line today...  I got called into work this morning.  So I will not likley get all the new polls started this morning.  I'll see who many I can do before I need to leave.

So ... since there aren't many around and most everyone should have voted anyway... ding ding ding.

Closing time on the 2nd round classics will be in 15 minutes!!! Ties to be broken in a 'first to 10 vote' tiebreak poll. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2015 at 06:01
and closing the polls!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 21>