https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2015 at 10:30
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Members of the Avant Team's should count as 4 votes

LOL  only if you and Raff finally adopt me!
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2015 at 10:32
the key being..  I am trying to discourage random faceless voting (the half votes). and encourage people to talk about the albums (the potential to gain 2 votes). 

As simple as trying to explain why a particular albums grabs you. So much more interesting than merely stating that 'I voted for X' Thank Andrew for that.. reading his thoughts has been really neat.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2015 at 13:21
so let's break down how differently voting could have gone... let's pick a poll.

Good one.  Octopus v. You

Octopus won 40-39

the breakdown (where you can tell how the poster voted haha)

collab/PR votes :
Octopus - 6  You - 14

member votes:
Octopus - 11, You - 12

unlisted votes:
Octopus - 23, You - 13

so under the new formula.. the results would have been (not counting bonus points)

You - 46.5  Octopus - 34.5

Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2015 at 13:25
... and how about the Crime of the Century/Uomo di Pezza poll?

Edited by Andrea Cortese - August 15 2015 at 13:25
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2015 at 13:32
I didn't want to do that one Andrea.. for cursing at myself for not doing this 1 round earlier hahaha

I imagine it would be very much the same...   most collabs voted for Orme.

The one I would love to see.. the real WTF'r of the tournament.. is to see how the votes in the SWilson - NSRO poll.   It was the vast silent majority that blew Wilson... blew him to victory.
Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2015 at 14:11
Mr. S.Wilson is unbeatable.Big smile

Actually he's a marvel character not a real musician.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2015 at 14:15
not necessarily..  not before we tweaked the voting. Little 'ol I A MOON nearly dumped SWilson out of the tournament and would have if the voting tweaks had been in place.

with them..  interesting to see.. it is a new spin on the old poll. Interested to see just how well it works. 
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2015 at 14:44
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Now the 2nd thing we are implementing is a long rumored .. long threatened change to way votes are tabulated.  So starting with the 4 the round we are going with a new way to calculate votes.

collab/PR votes count for 2 votes
posted votes for members count for 1 vote
unposted votes count for 1/2 vote

What? I haven't read anything else than the two last pages here so I thought there was some kind of irony or joke I wasn't getting, but apparently not. If some votes are automatically more valuable than others you collabs can have your battle of of the albums circle jerk for yourself. That's also why I don't rate or review on PA. Bye
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2015 at 14:46
ahhh..  I was expecting that... glad to not be disappointed. Come on man..  it is an encouragement to stimulate discussion. You get what you put in... don't contribute.. you get half a vote.. just spit out a preference.. get 1 vote.. contribute.. get 2 votes.

Nothing more ..nothing less. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2015 at 14:55
Glad not to disappoint. I think its up to the poll/topic starter to create something interesting enough to start a discussion. I've never liked the different weighting of reviews, ratings and now votes-mentality of the site. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2015 at 15:03
I'll give myself a pass on that...  it has been work enough getting these polls going and doing the background work.  I don't have the time to try to force people to voice their thoughts and have interesting discussion and comments. 

I shouldn't have to break out a stick..I don't have the time to force feed all the threads..   so one learns the fine art of doing the fun and productive thing.. offer a carrot instead.  No one forces you to eat it... just don't bitch if you go hungry. Equality is votes is there all it takes is some brains to have an opinion or thoughts on the music.. and the barest of confidence to express it and voila..  you have equality.  Something you should have no problem in doing.. seems to me you have ample quantities of both haha
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2015 at 15:14
Hold on... don't call equality for imposing a discriminating point system on everyone. I am quite shocked as well, getting more points for being vocal changes the entire game... It would have made sense if you had done it from the start but now it's only confusing really, since now the final results won't be representative either way. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2015 at 15:19
my thoughts on this...

I think you all are missing what is really important here.. why do you think I have been working on this contest since last year.

it is for the results?  No. If that were the case we would have thrown all the big albums from the big groups in and not cared who they tread over to get to their inevitable places in the finals.

To get people to discover albums to stimulate discussion in the forums,  thought by many of us to be dead and boring.. and the most important thing.. to have fun. So yes.. the intent is exactly to to change the game.. but it changes for everyone left in the game... a shifting of the field..  the goal is to keep it interesting and to get people to open and up and TALK.. that is what a forum is for.
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2015 at 15:34
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

my thoughts on this...

I think you all are missing what is really important here.. why do you think I have been working on this contest since last year.

it is for the results?  No. If that were the case we would have thrown all the big albums from the big groups in and not cared who they tread over to get to their inevitable places in the finals.

To get people to discover albums to stimulate discussion in the forums,  thought by many of us to be dead and boring.. and the most important thing.. to have fun. So yes.. the intent is exactly to to change the game.. but it changes for everyone left in the game... a shifting of the field..  the goal is to keep it interesting and to get people to open and up and TALK.. that is what a forum is for.

Thumbs Up
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2015 at 15:35
bah... if the results don't matter, why only change the results? also, if you're the kind of guy who normally agrees with a point that has already been mentioned you won't suddenly have something to add to the discussion and so your listening efforts will lose their value(if the competition really foesn't matter you might as well listen to any random album) or you'll simply be spamming.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2015 at 15:44
Originally posted by twseel twseel wrote:

bah... if the results don't matter, why only change the results? also, if you're the kind of guy who normally agrees with a point that has already been mentioned you won't suddenly have something to add to the discussion and so your listening efforts will lose their value(if the competition really foesn't matter you might as well listen to any random album) or you'll simply be spamming.

The results are secondary... sh*t man.. I think I remember who won the band contest we just had.LOL It wasn't the destination I remember.. that most will remember.. it is the journey. What a journey that band compeition was.. what a journey this has been with a promise of the best yet to come.

That is what I am trying to change.. to tinker with...how we arrive at the destination.  I think I have said this a couple of times already.. but let me try one more time.  What I am trying to encourage are people to share their thoughts on the albums either to stimulate some discussions.. or at the very least indulge myself and other like minded folks like me that actually care and find of interest. .not what people like.. but WHY they like it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2015 at 15:45
A persons vote should be worth 1 vote. Nothing more, nothing less. If you ask me that's not even an opinion.
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2015 at 15:51
it is very clear to me what you are trying to pull off micky, but this just isn't nice to a lot of people
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2015 at 15:54
thankfully at least I didn't give the Avant team members 4 votes each LOL Univers Zero was going to need it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 21>