FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSummer Madness: PA's Battle of the Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 18192021>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2015 at 09:13
yeah.. love the way the modern semi's broke.. pretty much guaranteed a 'retro prog' v. 'progressive' rock modern final.

as far as the classics..

Yeti is frickin toast man...  look at that draw Octopus navigated through.  Perhaps Pawn Hearts had it tough, it went through a lot of great albums, but Octopus had it even tougher.  Yeti in the semi's is likely the easiest opponent it has faced.

the one to watch will be Pawn Hearts v. The Rotters Club... I think the few anti PH votes there are, and there are some, might swing it to the Hatfields. We shall see. I do see it as a toss up.. will be IMO far and away the closest of the 4.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2015 at 16:20
Officially lost interest in the moderns, no good albums left for me.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2015 at 23:49
Great, great job Micky! I enjoyed these polls and discover a few bands like U Totem, Moetar or Gosta Berlings Saga.
I expected at least one Italian in the semifinals, but so is the game.
Greetings to all you PA freaks!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2015 at 06:42
awesome man!  That was the name of the game.. it wasn't the destination that mattered. It was the journey!

I found quite a few albums, and bands, through the contest myself.  I suppose when this all wraps up I'll post a closing report/summary of my journey through this and what really rocked my musical world. And hope others might do the same.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2015 at 16:58
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Officialy lost interest in both, especially since the classics final will probably be Pawn Hearts vs Octopus Sleepy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2015 at 17:55
yeah man... that one was sort of easy to predict though.  Not really a surprise to see those two in the final.

Definitely the fun goes out in the later rounds, especially when ones favorites have all bitten the dust.  Of the 4 probable finalists...  3 (Pawn Hearts, Octopus, and Hybris) got a combined 1 vote in total for me in all the earlier rounds.  Guess either my tastes are more far more evolved.. or just completely at odds than the rest of the forum. LOL  I do wonder how different results would have been if we done, from the start, my idea to weight the voting. more for collabs, less for the anonymous voters.

At least Spirit of Eden is still in it.  The modern final will be so much more interesting.. a real difference in styles and ideologies.

Edited by micky - September 21 2015 at 17:57
t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2015 at 19:43
I though at QF stage all interest was lost but with Octopus (to which I'm gently warming), the Hatfield mob still in their fighting (however futile that may be), Hybris keeping at it and of course Talk Talk still chattering on I'm quite reinvigorated.

Presuming TRC does succumb to PH then Octopus V PH should be fun to watch. Blood on the streets no doubt.

Otoh, Hybris v Eden should be positively civil.

Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2015 at 19:56
interesting if that will get bloody or (as I suspect) most of the regular crowd will vote for Octopus.  It is a better album.. and we do have good tastes...but it will be the silent majority who seem to fricking LOVE Pawn Hearts that will drive it to victory. LOL

whose blood will there be to spill.. not each others.. and try as we might. .we have yet to find a way to sodomize those who vote and don't care to share their thoughts.
t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2015 at 21:25
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

interesting if that will get bloody or (as I suspect) most of the regular crowd will vote for Octopus.  It is a better album.. and we do have good tastes...but it will be the silent majority who seem to fricking LOVE Pawn Hearts that will drive it to victory. LOL

whose blood will there be to spill.. not each others.. and try as we might. .we have yet to find a way to sodomize those who vote and don't care to share their thoughts.

Well you will simply have to try harder won't you ? Where there's a will eee there must be a way.

I still wonder about those PawnHeartists. Either in the poll pages or maybe even here I did wonder how many of those who voted for PH had actually played it in the recent past and there were what, two or three responses ?

Oh well, such it is.
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2015 at 03:34
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Officialy lost interest in both, especially since the classics final will probably be Pawn Hearts vs Octopus Sleepy
Same here, but, although it probably won't matter at this point, I'm gonna vote anyway dammit! LOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2015 at 08:03
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Same here, but, although it probably won't matter at this point, I'm gonna vote anyway dammit! LOL

yeah... definitely not as fun..even exciting as early rounds are. At least my own workload has significantly decreased having to find good samples and reviews.  I am looking forward to the next contest.  That should be a hoot. I'm throwing some tweaks in.. hopefully to keep it interesting and fun all the way to the end.

1 hour to close in the 4 semi-finals.. only one still in play
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2015 at 08:29
Originally posted by t d wombat t d wombat wrote:

Well you will simply have to try harder won't you ? Where there's a will eee there must be a way.

I still wonder about those PawnHeartists. Either in the poll pages or maybe even here I did wonder how many of those who voted for PH had actually played it in the recent past and there were what, two or three responses ?

Oh well, such it is.

I played PH last night.  While I still like it, I like Octopus more so will vote for O. 

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2015 at 08:44
yep... all in for the Big O!!!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2015 at 09:19
^ What would have put Pawn Hearts over the edge would be Italian vocals.  Can you imagine PH with say....Alvaro Fella?  So much betterLOL

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2015 at 09:21
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

^ What would have put Pawn Hearts over the edge would be Italian vocals.  Can you imagine PH with say....Alvaro Fella?  So much betterLOL

YES!!!  not to mention not having a f**king clue what they are singins..  that adds so much to the prog listening experience.  Every progger seems to think they are some kind of philosopher or social activist.. just play music man.. and have an interesting sounding vocalist.. singing the yellow pages in a language we don't understand. Clap
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2015 at 09:26
I hear ya man.  Vocals are another instrument, for me, not much more.  

Edited by Finnforest - September 26 2015 at 09:27

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2015 at 09:27
yep! Approve
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2015 at 16:29

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

YES!!!  not to mention not having a f**king clue what they are singins..  that adds so much to the prog listening experience.  Every progger seems to think they are some kind of philosopher or social activist.. just play music man.. and have an interesting sounding vocalist.. singing the yellow pages in a language we don't understand. Clap

Ignorance is bliss, they say Wink
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2015 at 16:59
I would pay good money to hear someone singing the Yellow pages to good music. Especially if it were in Korean, Arabic, Portuguese, or German. Love those languages!
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2015 at 17:00
P.S. Is there anywhere, Micky, that we can actually see a printed out draw--like they do for tennis tournaments or the NCAA Bastketball tourney?
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 18192021>