Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy the criticism for Tony Banks?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2015 at 06:44
Originally posted by FuseProg94 FuseProg94 wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

by who?

By a lot of people that write and frequent amateur record review sites. Even some journalists have made comments about Banks' interview manner.
Links?
I'm curious to see who are those fools LOL
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2015 at 09:25
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by prog4evr prog4evr wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Hackett is definitely my favourite Genesis member and I don't think Banks or Rutherford should be blamed too much for Hackett's exit.  Somebody who has had such a long and prolific solo career probably wouldn't have been satisfied with any amount of freedom or any amount of weight given to his compositions.  The time had come for Hackett to break out and start his own band and so he did.  With that said, I do think Banks could have avoided drowning out the sound of Hackett's parts the way he did on say Ripples.  

If you mean the Steven Wilson re-master of 'Trick of the Tail' then, yeah.  But, blame the keyboards drowning out Hackett on Wilson's f**ked-up remastering - not on Banks.  On the pre-Wilson original (I had both the cassette and the vinyl originals), Hackett's playing on Ripples was meant to be subdued against the arpeggiations of Banks - almost like a rippling effect through a still pond.  You can tell (with my expletives not deleted) that I have no love for any of Wilson's re-mixes. Even the original CD mastering off of the analog tapes (in the late 80s / early 90s) was better before Wilson got his grubby hands on it...
When did Steven Wilson remaster Trick of the Tail? The last remaster I'm aware of is in the green 1970-75 box set.

Yeah, in any case, I don't think it's the one I have.  Anyway, it's not that I can't hear Hackett at all, it's not THAT drowned out.  I just feel it should have been louder in the mix.  The reason is to me Hackett's tone sounds lovely there while the Banks synth on that one is pretty typical of the 70s and not very interesting.  I love Banks doing piano, mellotron or organ, but not a big fan of his approach to synthesizer.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2015 at 11:30
Well, in the past a few prog fans (not necessarily on PA) have probably stated that Banks is not on a par with Wakeman and Emerson, but I think Banks never cared for virtuosity.

He's very much appreciated for his compositions and playing in Genesis, but I think he got quite some critique for most of his solo albums after A Curious Feeling, and even that one isn't always appreciated a lot by some Genesis/prog fans. Outside Genesis, Hackett is the prog hero, and Gabriel gets a lot of credit, but not Banks, at least, not a lot. Personally, I like albums like The Fugitive, The Wicked Lady, Soundtracks, Bankstatement and Still, though I can understand that the lack of pure prog in those albums doesn't please everyone in the prog community.

As for personalities, yes, the last interview with the five piece was very interesting: even years after playing together one could definitely see a pecking order: first Banks, than Rutherford, than the other three. But I think we can be short about this: there's no reason to blame Banks for his attitude. He makes great music and he explains a lot about the music in the interviews, and that's all than counts. 

Edited by Moogtron III - June 12 2015 at 12:13
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2015 at 11:41
If I was concerned with personalities, I wouldn't listen to half the artists I usually listen to. 
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2015 at 18:33
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

by who?

By a lot of people that write and frequent amateur record review sites. Even some journalists have made comments about Banks' interview manner.
Links?
I'm curious to see who are those fools LOL

funny... before calling them fools.  I've seen those reviewers. Two stand out. Both very intelligent and insightful. Fans of Genesis.. but not the slobbering group of lovestruck fanboys that populate prog sites like this haha.

Both LOVE Genesis.

in spite of Tony Banks.. 

I have my own problems with him. He is reason one why I find Genesis bland and completely boring musically. He has one moment.. ONE (Cinema Show) of all the stuff Genesis did.  Sorry man.. that doesn't cut it for putting him anywhere near the brilliance and myriad of fantastic keyboard moments a great many other prog keyboardists have deliverered.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2015 at 19:53
Banks objectively did some great keyboard work in Watcher of the Skies, Carpet Crawl, title track of the Lamb, Colony of Slippermen, Entangled, various bits on And Then There Were Three.  He was always an innovater.  He did stunningly beautiful things like Time Table.  I guess people who don't like him probably like a lot of music I don't. 
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2015 at 20:59
I have never really had a "problem" with Tony Banks but I know there are those that do. It almost always seems to center around personality conflicts. For good or ill, absolutely nothing happened in Genesis without either his explicit approval or at least his grudging acquiescence. And yes, the previously mentioned "pecking order" was very apparent in the recent group interview.

As for his playing, he never tried to be a standout a la Wakeman, etc. He was more the steady, workman type of player who was responsible for some of their finest moments, both in playing and writing. He may not be the kind of bloke you could chat up and enjoy a pint with down at the local pub but he more than made up for that with his talent and exacting perfection. At least that is how I see it.
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2015 at 01:24

Hackett is definitely my favourite Genesis member and I don't think Banks or Rutherford should be blamed too much for Hackett's exit.  Somebody who has had such a long and prolific solo career probably wouldn't have been satisfied with any amount of freedom or any amount of weight given to his compositions.  The time had come for Hackett to break out and start his own band and so he did.  With that said, I do think Banks could have avoided drowning out the sound of Hackett's parts the way he did on say Ripples.  

If you mean the Steven Wilson re-master of 'Trick of the Tail' then, yeah.  But, blame the keyboards drowning out Hackett on Wilson's f**ked-up remastering - not on Banks.  On the pre-Wilson original (I had both the cassette and the vinyl originals), Hackett's playing on Ripples was meant to be subdued against the arpeggiations of Banks - almost like a rippling effect through a still pond.  You can tell (with my expletives not deleted) that I have no love for any of Wilson's re-mixes. Even the original CD mastering off of the analog tapes (in the late 80s / early 90s) was better before Wilson got his grubby hands on it...
When did Steven Wilson remaster Trick of the Tail? The last remaster I'm aware of is in the green 1970-75 box set.

From "Trick of the Tail (CD/DVD)". Genesis (official web store). Retrieved on 13 April 2015 as Note 35 in the Wikipedia article, it states:  "A new version of A Trick of the Tail was released in the UK and Japan in 2007 as part of the Genesis 1976–1982 box set. This includes the entire album in remixed stereo, surround sound, and related video tracks." While it does not specifically mention Steven Wilson, I believe I read elsewhere that his grubby hands were behind this unfortunate remix of a wonderful album...
x1yyz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2015 at 01:27
anyone who dislikes tony banks is an idiot
x1yyz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2015 at 01:30

From "Trick of the Tail (CD/DVD)". Genesis (official web store). Retrieved on 13 April 2015 as Note 35 in the Wikipedia article, it states:  "A new version of A Trick of the Tail was released in the UK and Japan in 2007 as part of the Genesis 1976–1982 box set. This includes the entire album in remixed stereo, surround sound, and related video tracks." While it does not specifically mention Steven Wilson, I believe I read elsewhere that his grubby hands were behind this unfortunate remix of a wonderful album...

where did u read that elsewhere?

if youre gonna spout your mouth off put facts out there and sources!

it was nick davis 100%

get over it.

a country boy can survive
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2015 at 02:00
Originally posted by x1yyz x1yyz wrote:

where did u read that elsewhere?

if youre gonna spout your mouth off put facts out there and sources!

it was nick davis 100%

get over it.

a country boy can survive

My bad.  Thanks for calling me on that.  The Prog Magazine article, "Steven Wilson won't work on ELP again", Retrieved 21 February 2013 as Wikipedia footnote 13 states that: "Steven Wilson has remixed a series of albums by other artists including:  King Crimson, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Jethro Tull and Yes."  So, two clarifications:  I am still not a fan of Steven Wilson's remixes - of KC, ELP, JT, and Yes; and, the overlay of Banks' arpeggiations against Hackett's guitar soloing was meant to convey a 'rippling' effect.  Thank you, x1yyz - I got over it...
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2015 at 05:13
I've honestly never heard anything bad about the guy; his playing, style, and contribution were integral not only to Genesis, but prog in general!
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2015 at 02:35

I enjoy Tony Banks' compositions very much. He is a unique songwriter, his lyrics can often be eloquent, and he is a very skilled keyboardist. No musician is perfect, but I don't feel that Banks deserve the lashing that he gets from fans. How do you all feel? Do you feel that Tony Banks is unfairly criticized?

With the phenomenal solo successes of Peter Gabriel & Phil Collins one would think it would be difficult to take notice of anybody else. Not so with iconic Genesis. Especially when the 'beating heart' of the band has always been Tony Banks. To me Banks has always been the eponymous founding member of Genesis. Quoting their manager Tony Smith, "Genesis was Tony's solo career..."

Yes, rather acerbic, astute, unassuming, and self-critical at times in his interviews, has always given the best description and analysis of the music. Technically capable as a player, his style and technique  has always derived more out of his songwriting rather than for the sake of trying to display grandiose playing. Yet and despite that he has been responsible for some of the most memorable keyboard solos and accompanying style unlike any other keyboardist. His unique approach and sound has influenced many Prog keyboard players.
I think its unjust and unfair to compare Banks to Wakeman and Emerson. All are great in their own right with their own distinct  styles and approaches to their music.  Tony Banks just happens to be my favorite.

Smile

- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2015 at 08:51
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Hes not technicoly inferior thats a fact, hes among the most important synth/keybord.innovators lf 2-3 decades

Yes far from inferior--he's one of the top 3 best ever---for everything he does---only criticism is he's a bit of a moody prick who has said things that have downplayed Hackett's role in the band ---and built up his role. 

ProgressiveHypocrite View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2015 at 14:08
I like Tony Banks's keyboard playing. It's not even wise to compare him to players like Wakeman or Emerson because his playing style is different. It's melodic, dramatic, at times melancholic, but very grandiose, but not as showoffy as, say, Emerson. Good examples include "The Knife", "Watcher of the Skies", and "The Cinema Show". The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is a wonderful showcase of Banks's growing use of synthesizers.

Edited by ProgressiveHypocrite - June 14 2015 at 14:13
raeloneq View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2015 at 17:09
Dont kill me but:

Banks > Wakeman
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2015 at 17:46
I like both but I do enjoy Banks' keyboard playing more the Wakeman's, too.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2015 at 18:34
Banks is the whole deal---he can compose great songs--arrange them with great leads or texture --background playing---he may not be as flashy as Rick or Keith---but he is a better more consistent---overall player.
FuseProg94 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2015 at 06:39
Banks has done some killer solos, too. I love his solo on "Down and Out" from ...and then there were three... (an underrated album IMO), the unison passages on "Dance on a Volcano" from A Trick of the Tail, and his awesome, awesome work on "Firth of Fifth".
ProgressiveHypocrite View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2015 at 08:11
It's okay to have your own opinion - that's the point of forums! I like all of them; they each have their own good qualities!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>