Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg rock/neo-classical/Metal first keyboard!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog rock/neo-classical/Metal first keyboard!
    Posted: June 15 2015 at 13:45
Hi!

I'm desperately seeking some advice on purchasing my first keyboard. I'm currently learning and eventually want to progress on to playing the types of genres mentioned in the title, artists like Jordan Rudess, Kevin Moore, Michael Pinnella. I've been searching actively everywhere for a few days and haven't been able to make any decision. 

I require:
- Ability to create splits and preferably layers as well
- Pitch wheel 
- Good lead synth and pad sounds (The ability to create my own sounds is secondary right now)

The first spanner in the works is that I feel as though it might be better to learn on weighted keys and I would prefer 88 keys but with all the above criteria the options start getting expensive rapidly. 

My budget is £350 (~$600/€500) and I have no problem with functional used gear that has cosmetic imperfections or cheap reliably fixed problems. 

Here is how I've been thinking so far:

- Korg trinity - Not sure if it's a little bit dated, 61 keys, non weighted
- Korg triton LE - Same concern as above
- Korg Kross - Not sure what I think of it.
- Casio wk/ctk range - I appreciate they're beginner keyboards and wont sound remarkable, price minded option. Built in speakers useful for learning saves buying monitors. Largest keyboard is 76, not sure if that's any more helpful than 61, non weighted but touch sensitive keys. Extra money for an upgrade later on.
- Yamaha PSR range - Similar as above, worse sounds?
- Yamaha DGX range - Has everything but it's more of a digital piano so I assume I wont get the sounds.
- Studiologic SL990 controller + use of VSTi. - I have a fairly good PC but no audio interface, not sure how much I'd have to spend extra to get something with low enough latency to not experience delay on fast passages. 

I appreciate any and all advice, a cheap temporary solution of perhaps a casio is slightly where I'm more inclined right now. My biggest goal is to get something that wont compromise my learning by encouraging bad technique that also has the sounds I'm after.
 Post Reply Post Reply