Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why so few American bands in 70's prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2015 at 20:37
Originally posted by Son.of.Tiresias Son.of.Tiresias wrote:

Ha-haa ! You ainīt nothing but another strange... or maybe even mad GENESIS fan.... now in love with Stevie Nicks.
Of course. Sheīs a very nice girl, best of luck... But you canīt fool a son of Tiresias Tongue  Well, all GENESIS fans are more or less strange, arenīt we. Psst, Iīll tell you a secret before I go: thereīs always been Ethel and shīs mine, all mine !

It's fascinating.

When I entered to this forum, I was called close minded, enemy of music, etc because I only accepted 100% Prog bands in PA

Now that I have a more open perspective, I'm a mad Genesis fan because I like also non prog music

BTW: I'm a fan of Meatloaf and Cranberries also

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2015 at 22:22
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

I was called close minded, enemy of music, etc because I only accepted 100% Prog bands in PA

now who ever could have said that about you WinkEmbarrassedLOL

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2015 at 04:24

Plus I was in love with Stevie.

I always prefered the classier Christine Heart

Though Stevie's gypsy clothes did have an effect on me, but certainly not like the Wilson sister in Little Queen's artworkHeartHeart

In Stevie's cazse, I was content of looking at her.... Smile With the Wilson sister (especiallty Nancy), I wanted them undressedLOL

Sinico View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2015 at 06:31
I've never loved american pop music so much. I've always thought that our european bands nowdays nad backdays were too much influenced by the american music. Maybe that's the reason why i love KC ;). I think prog music isn't and were not popular in USA because of the mentality of people that are living there. In america, people are listening to the easy and affordable music. Of course there are some exceptions. Just look at the the Mars Volta, i am enjoying their music so much! Maybe we must wait for the next gold era of prog music and maybe now Americans will be the pioneers :D.
terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terramystic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2015 at 07:45
Wasn't UK a supergroup that tried to blend English prog with American jazz-rock?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2015 at 10:18

Add in some Black Eyed Peas, Korn and Bread, with Vanilla Fudge, Raspberries and Cream for dessert and you'll have a well-rounded meal.LOL
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2015 at 13:30
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Add in some Black Eyed Peas, Korn and Bread, with Vanilla Fudge, Raspberries and Cream for dessert and you'll have a well-rounded meal.LOL

Clap

Nope I choose my meals

But a Cream for dessert wouldn't be bad

Son.of.Tiresias View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son.of.Tiresias Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2015 at 13:39
Originally posted by Sinico Sinico wrote:

I've never loved american pop music so much. I've always thought that our european bands nowdays nad backdays were too much influenced by the american music. Maybe that's the reason why i love KC ;). I think prog music isn't and were not popular in USA because of the mentality of people that are living there. In america, people are listening to the easy and affordable music. Of course there are some exceptions. Just look at the the Mars Volta, i am enjoying their music so much! Maybe we must wait for the next gold era of prog music and maybe now Americans will be the pioneers :D.

In the beginning I wasnīt excited about American pop & rock so much either, I liked the happier side of pop in Europe like "Kites" by pre-GG, "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" and "Girl" by The Beatles, with exception of tunes like "California Dreaming" and "Age of Aquarius" those are American pop at finest. On the other hand tunes like "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" and "Yellow Submarine" sounded just annoying and very light, actually my first impression at the time was that those were childrenīs songs LOL
But it was the haunting sound from "Il bueno, il brutto, il cattivo" by Ennio Morricone from 1966 that blew this kid away and fell love with symphonic music. It was the funny & dangerous wah-wah guitar. 
And there was one black guy in America who also sounded very powerful and intense with his wah-wah guitar sound. It was the haunting yet superb fluid and very beautifully distorted wah-wah solo and very powerful singing from a man "All Along in the Watchtower". It was rockīnīroll taken into purple skies. And the European more symphonic way that leaded to countless masterpieces in rock in the 70īs and onwards till tomorrow and on and on.

In a nutshell, Rock and Jazz as well were created in North America by black man, and white man in England and Italy completed both some time later. With a help from his collaborators/musicians Jimi Hendrix may very well had created something different in the 70īs. That wasnīt meant to happen, unfortunately. For me itīs very unlikely that North America will get another change. Former communist countries had a few great bands back in the day, like Fermata and Locomotiv GT and Bela Fleck the banjo master player (an American but Hungarian origins Iīd presume) so Eastern Europe has all the potential to make revival. Some Classic Italian bands like Museo Rosenbach and Osanna with David Jackson are still going very strong and new bands like Unreal City with 2 excellent albums proves that Italy is still the heart of Euro Prog. South America already has a very strong and growing Prog culture. Iīm not an expert about so somebody please enlighten us...

Edited by Son.of.Tiresias - July 27 2015 at 11:15
TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2017 at 15:58
Interesting thread.
I always wondered why was prog rock not American and predominantly a British thing.  
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2017 at 16:43
Kansas were probably by far the most well known US prog band from the seventies. After them maybe Happy the Man or Crack the Sky. There was also Pavlov's Dog, Starcastle, Ambrosia and many one shot or two shot bands such as Cathedral, Babylon, Pentwater, Ethos, Easter Island, Fireballet, Mirthrandir, Atlantis Philharmonic, Lift, Polyphony and those are just the ones off the top of my head. There were several. Maybe not as many as there were in England or Italy but there were probably a lot more than most people think. The thing is very few of them received any exposure at the time. 
Blaqua View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blaqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2017 at 18:05

Americans have a different mindset due to different lifestyle, were and are more laid-back, and prefer fast-paced, action-based or dance-based stuff.

"Cathedral, Babylon, Pentwater, Ethos, Easter Island, Fireballet, Mirthrandir, Atlantis Philharmonic, Lift, Polyphony and those are just the ones off the top of my head"

I don't know any of those ones. You forgot to mention Yezda Urfa, perhaps because they were disguising themselves as non Americans to appeal to the European audience. 

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2017 at 22:39

[I don't know any of those ones. You forgot to mention Yezda Urfa, perhaps because they were disguising themselves as non Americans to appeal to the European audience. ]

Yes, I did forget to mention Yezda Urfa but then again I'm not very familiar with them. To be honest I'm quite surprised that you know about them but not the ones I mentioned. 

Blaqua View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blaqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 12:00

"To be honest I'm quite surprised that you know about them but not the ones I mentioned." 

It was a case of serendipity, as I discovered them by chance on youtube, their eccentric name attracted my clicks.  

Listen to their excellent 3, Almost 4, 6 Yea, a mix of ELP, Bacamarte, Gryphon, Jethro Tull, and it is preceded by the folk/country Texas armadillo. Soviet spies in the US…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqHq5g9FJeI

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 13:49
Why so few? There are many. It's true that England was the birth place of many types of prog but Zappa, The Doors and other art rock acts that influenced later prog was born in the USA. While Europe had a head start on the dramatic diversity of early prog, America began the cross-pollination of prog with metal and jump started that new avenue. As of today there are tons of popular American prog infused bands including Tool, Mars Volta, Thinking Plague, Neil Morse, Birds And Buildings, Maudlin Of The Well etc not to mention the millions of prog and prog related metal such as Queensryche, Dream Theater etc. America has always been somewhat behind the older nations in Europe as far as the arts are concerned but i think there have been significant developments on this side of the atlantic. However, ENGLAND certainly developed some of my personal favorite prog bands of all time. Something special was in the air there and still is actually :)

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 14:27
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Kansas were probably by far the most well known US prog band from the seventies. After them maybe Happy the Man or Crack the Sky. There was also Pavlov's Dog, Starcastle, Ambrosia and many one shot or two shot bands such as Cathedral, Babylon, Pentwater, Ethos, Easter Island, Fireballet, Mirthrandir, Atlantis Philharmonic, Lift, Polyphony and those are just the ones off the top of my head. There were several. Maybe not as many as there were in England or Italy but there were probably a lot more than most people think. The thing is very few of them received any exposure at the time. 

You covered just about every significant prog band from the US, even if they weren't well-known at the time (like Atlantis Philharmonic, and Lift), and there were others, like Castle Canyon, too far below ground to catch notice outside their home stomping grounds.

But you did miss one big one: Todd Rundgren's Utopia. The first s/t and Another Live are bona fide American prog classics — epic tracks, multiple keyboardists and all.

The 3rd, Ra, is also prog, but that was the first one by the quartet formation (Rundgren, Powell, Sulton, Wilcox), and they began to shrug off the symphonic shadings of the first two records as they veered sharply toward the arena rock sound that would mark the remainder of their recording career.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 14:54
Funny how tastes differ and what's even more funny - or peculiar is that none of my favourite American releases have been mentioned so far...and the US certainly delivered some gems back in the day (all featured here on PA though not in symph;):

Bobby Beausoleil - Lucifer Rising
The Muffins - Manna/Mirage
Gypsy - s/t
Weather Report - I Sing The Body Electric
Perry Leopold - Christian Lucifer
McLuhan - Anomaly
Jon Hassell - Fourth World Vol 1: Possible Musics
Good God - s/t
Friendsound - Joyride
Fifty Foot Hose - Cauldron
Bennie Maupin - Jewel In The Lotus
Don Bradshaw Leather - Distance Between Us
The Residents - Not Available
Wulf Zendik - Zendik
Herbie - Sextant
Eddie Henderson - Realization
Pearls Before Swine - The Use Of Ashes
Tim Buckley - Starsailor
Miles - Big Fun
Frank Zappa - Hot Rats (may have been mentioned I'm not sure)
Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 18:10
Maybe you just have to dig deep

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 19:00
Originally posted by Big Kid Josie Big Kid Josie wrote:

Is it the fact that a lot of symphonic prog was based on European classical composers rather than rhythm-and-blues and so it just passed the US bands by, initially?

I think the OP has probably answered his own question. Many of the 1st gen Symphonic bands that originated from the UK looked to European sources for inspiration rather than towards an indigenous blues dominated USA as had been the case for the previous British Invasion of Beatles, Kinks, Stones, Animals et al. I suppose that's maybe why a lot of US Prog has more of a jazz, fusion or avant oriented slant. What would have been interesting if tit for tat had been deployed by American musicians to import pastoral symphonic Prog into England. Double whammy bar: The UK gave Hendrix to America Shocked

Four rather unjustly neglected US Prog bands that belong in the 'Symphonic' camp are Quill, Ethos, Polyphony and Happy the Man.

Edited by ExittheLemming - June 23 2017 at 19:07
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 20:26
Originally posted by TexasKing TexasKing wrote:

Interesting thread.
I always wondered why was prog rock not American and predominantly a British thing.  

I've always presumed that it was due to a difference in musical education and culture.  In the US, our musical education was quite primitive, only really mandatory until about age 12, and then voluntary in high school.   

We probably don't have as many opportunities to participate in church choir as in England, and many of our prog composers/artists such as Chris Squire attributed this as a big influence.  

Plus, there seems to have been more of an opportunity to learn multiple instruments....Ian Anderson, Peter Gabriel, Jon Anderson and others demonstrate this "hunger to make music."  

We Yanks can be a lazy lot when it comes to music, quite honestly.  
normanbates' mom View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote normanbates' mom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2018 at 18:55
Some other good North American prog bands:
Spirit (psych/prog)
FM (proggy AOR)
Todd Rundgren/Utopia (proggy AOR)
Crack The Sky (proggy AOR)
Hot Tuna (blues with prog elements)
Jefferson Airplane/Starship (went from psych to prog)
Mountain (yes, they were hard rock, but their jams were proggy)
Lee Michaels (proggy keyboard rock)
Quicksilver (psych/prog)
Moby Grape (psych/prog)
Country Joe & The Fish (psych/prog)

I don't rate any of the more recent American prog bands like Phish, Moe, String Cheese Incident, Dave Matthews Band, Widespread Panic, Gov't Mule, Umphrey's McGhee - their music is too technical and soul-less, as if their music was created in a lab.

Edited by normanbates' mom - May 22 2018 at 19:14
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>