Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 2nd Round Classics: Pawn Hearts v. Death Walks Beh
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2nd Round Classics: Pawn Hearts v. Death Walks Beh

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Pick One
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
51 [80.95%]
12 [19.05%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2nd Round Classics: Pawn Hearts v. Death Walks Beh
    Posted: July 11 2015 at 08:11
hahahha.. next up in the I feel like I'm fixin' to die section of the PA's album polls.. we have these happy joyous classics matched up against each other. If that wasn't depressing enough, Vegas has made Death Walks Behind You the largest underdog of the entire 2nd round.

but if you mind is open... let the reviewers perhaps help you choose.

First up... the 3rd love of my life.. a beautiful woman and one helluva a good reviewer, photographer and all that jazz...  give it up for... PATRICIA!!! Clap

Van Der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts CD (album) cover

PAWN HEARTS

Van Der Graaf Generator

Eclectic Prog

4.42 | 1616 ratings

From Progarchives.com, the ultimate progressive rock music website

Queen By-Tor
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator
5 stars The ultimate "who am I?" album!

I realize that everything that can possibly be said about this album already has been said, but y'know what? I'm gunna say it again anyways. This album is a masterpiece that deserves all the praise it can get. Three incredibly strong tracks fill the two sides of this album like some kind of behemoth in a cage just waiting to get off those grooves and into the air. All three tracks are worth of their own paragraphs, and so they'll get them... in time. First, a disclaimer. This is not an album (or band for that matter) that's easy to get into for most people. I bought this album when I saw it sitting in the various V section at a used record store I used to live near and threw it on for the car ride home (which was about a 2 hour drive... that's close! I live in Canada after all!). It was a dark night and the soundscapes that filled my car both confused and terrified me. Because that's the kind of music VdGG makes... it's as though black stormclouds will gather if you listen to them too loudly. Anyways, luckily this was not my first experience with the VdGG, and I gave the album another listen when I got home. I thought, "cool", and then the album sat on the shelf for a couple months. Later, I picked it up again and decided to give it another whirl. Whoa, I was blown away! What amazing music! So, to summarize that pointless little anecdote: Always, always give this band a second chance if you don't them off the first listen.

Onto the songs.

The album starts off with the bizarre LEMMINGS (Including COG). Here's a great, winding sax track that takes the audience on a nice little journey until finally delivering them to the next track via quick drumbeat outro. This is one of the more accessible songs on the album, and starts the album theme of "who am I? What do I do?", that recurring theme that Hammil loves oh so much. Anyways, not the album's best track, but definitely a VdGG classic none the less.

Next up is the supreme MAN-ERG. This is a terribly dark track that starts out rather softly and beautifully, if a bit creepy, thanks to the lyrics ("The killer lives inside me, yes I feel him move. Sometimes he's likely sleeping in the corner of his room. But then his eyes will rise and stare through mine..." ect). Great delivery by Hammil that breathes complete and total life into the track until -- bam, you're bombarded by sax from all sides. "How can I be free!?" screams Hammil as the sonic waves attack you from all sides like some sort of torrent out at open sea. The track continues until we're back at the pretty parts again, some more insanity... and soon the track ends, leaving you wondering what the hell just happened. Amazing.

VdGG's greatest epic, and only side long outing A PLAGUE OF LIGHTHOUSE KEEPERS. Most often compared to "Supper's Ready", and for good reason, it's a divided track that doesn't fuse into one continuous song like CTTE or TAAB, regardless, it should be held in as high esteem simply for it's pure, uh, awesomeness! It starts great and low key, and eventually unfolds until it reaches full out choas around the 10 minute mark, then it reaches something beyond conceivable chaos around 16 minutes (the 4th dimension of chaos!). It slows down enough to let you breath right near the end and then, just like it's predecessors, it's over. Each band member plays to their finest, and yet again Hammil does wonders with the vocals. The lyrics are well thought out too, with the theme being that really no one knows who they are, using the lighthouse keeper against the ocean as it's metaphors. And of course the story is much deeper than that, but if I were to go into it the review would become far too long. Anyways, this is a great, if bizarre, track that could not have been pulled off any better than the VdGG boys did, and perhaps it could never be done by anyone other than them to start with. This is VdGG at their very finest, and if you doubt that go listen (or relisten) to this song. Simply stunning.

To conclude -- even if you have a small collection this album should be in it. Be weary, listen with an open mind an give it a few shots, if you don't "get it" right away you will likely later. VdGG's definitive album, this can't be missed! 5 stars!

next up.. for the underdog..  one our favorite reviewers here and a man of great tastes.

Tom Ozric Clap

Atomic Rooster - Death Walks Behind You CD (album) cover

DEATH WALKS BEHIND YOU

Atomic Rooster

Heavy Prog

3.84 | 218 ratings

From Progarchives.com, the ultimate progressive rock music website

Tom Ozric
Prog Reviewer
5 stars 'Death Walks Behind You' is an album I've been acquainted with for over 20 years, longer than some, shorter than many more, and, at least to me, has withstood my ever-growing discerning tastes (mind you, at times that may be questionable...). I definately find Vincent Crane and his fellow bandmates much more interesting than their oft-said equivalent, DEEP PURPLE. The creative composition and relentless execution on their instruments always leaves me breathless. Breathless with their talent, not their dark aura. We all know now that instigator Vincent Crane was a troubled individual who suffered from manic-depression (don't most of us at some stage ??) and succumbed to the pressure of this debilitating condition (bless him, bless Jean). Fortunately for us, most of his work with Arthur Brown, Atomic Rooster and Rory Gallagher (he also contributed some piano for the new-wave ensemble 'Dexy's Midnight Runners', too) are left behind to remind us of his contribution to the music world, 'Death Walks Behind You' being a superb example of this 'heavy' arrangement and immense talent. Cool sleeve notes have been left by Vincent on the back of the LP for each track - most pieces are long-ish and highlight extraordinary Hammond Organ and vibrant lead guitar interplay. Even drummer Paul Hammond puts in his share of hard work. One thing that's instantly noticable is the lack of a Bass Guitarist - bass duties are now handled by Vincent via 'strong left hand and foot pedal techniques' on his Organ (move over Ray Manzarek). The songs are really fantastic, dark and forboding, exciting and inventive, even complex. The title song kicks off the album, 7+ minutes of piano infused heaviness. Great intro, top riff and a bluesy piano interlude. The song is really good. There's one thing that gets me though - the 2nd track 'Vug' is clearly an instrumental, the sleeve notes say " For deliberate reasons, we mixed the vocals way back on this number " - what vocals ??? Anyway, it's a brilliant piece of music which shifts rhythms throughout and show-cases some rather complex organ and guitar lines. 'Tomorrow Night' is a song that reached the Top-Ten in England at the time, and is understandable why ; catchy melody, great design, memorable tune. Minus my ramblings, the next few tunes are all well structured and satisfying, even the ballad 'Nobody Else'. Album closer, the 8min 'Gershatzer', is an instrumental that rivals E.L.P. and Deep Purple at their boldest - absolutely *wild* organ inventions, fiery guitars and even a well recorded drum solo (better than many) lace this composition, designed as a 'stage number'. Some beautiful piano playing can also be noticed. This is simply a must- own album of progressively flavoured Hard-Rock and stands up proudly as one of my 5 star masterpieces - it may be one of yours, too.....

Edited by micky - July 11 2015 at 08:12
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 08:28
I loike this album of Atomic Hooster... but VDGG is VDGG.
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 08:41
Going with Van der Graaf here as well.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 08:45
Man, thanks Micky
As much as I love Rooster, I have to go with the Psychedelic Razor.........
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 08:48
Yeah the one about how our hearts are but pawns regardless of your status in this world.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 08:51
Pawn Hearts (which I predict will go up against Mirage for the final 2 of the classics)
Magma America Great Make Again
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 09:29
VDGG's finest hour!
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 09:50
Just finished listening to Pawn Hearts for about the 80th time, and love it just as much as the first. Is there any competition here? I mean DWBY is a great record that I really like, but Pawn Hearts is mind-blowing in just about every way.
Kirillov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 09:58
Quite tough this, 'Pawn Hearts' is far from my fave VDGG, but it just edges out the Rooster
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 10:03
Another one for Pawn Hearts.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 10:42
Pawn Hearts is my fave VDGG album, but my vote goes to Rooster! Death Walks is such a together and awesome record.
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 12:41
This one should be a walkover - Pawn Hearts.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 14:50
LOL

vegas did set this at Pawn Hearts -45... and I didn't didn't touch it.

Not my favorite VDGG album.. and Plague of Lighthouse Keepers is one of biggest pieces of crap ever unleashed on unsupecting prog fan.... who gobbled it up and called it great.. whatever haha..

and this was my favorite Atomic Rooster so it gets the vote.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 14:54
Love both but have a more emotional attachment to Rooster so they get the vote
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 15:38
Death Walks Behind You is brilliant.

Pawn Hearts isn't. In fact the only thing that remotely spoilt the Camel concert in York was the VDGG music they played before Camel came on. I hate Hamill's voice.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 16:20
Two terrific dark albums.
Top notch each in their own right.

Pawn Hearts is more original so my vote goes to VdGG.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 16:36
Not my favourite VdGG album but gets my vote here.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 16:43
Well, listening through everything again before running my mouth off -

Interesting piece of trivia - I think when VDGG were looking for organists they wanted someone who sounded like Vincent Crane (on account of the Crazy World of Arthur Brown pedigree). Hugh Banton did that and then some.

Due credit to Death Walks Behind You, that piano intro is spooky as hell and there are plenty of highlights sprinkled throughout (the opening of Seven Lonely Streets springs to mind and the intros generally are better than the pieces as a whole). That said, it's not even my favourite Atomic Rooster album (the debut is better, I think) and I think Du Cann's guitar/vocals are very hit and miss and the songs run a little repetitive. The Heavy Prog designation always strikes me as the free pass for the 'didn't have the balls to break from conventional pop song structure' category of artists on here and DWBY falls right into that. VUG would be on the lightweight side for a Colosseum or Khan instrumental but there's some gorgeous work from Crane in the closing Gerschatzer and I kind of wish we'd seen more of that in a song context than the endless thundering riffs.

While part of Pawn Hearts is that Hammill's oddly pity-party-free aloneness stuff really pegged where I was at seventeen when I started getting into this music and I have more of a bustly life now, it still gets me. Hammill's best vocals for my money on a VDGG album. Gorgeous use of effects, some of Guy Evans' best drumming, superb lyrics. Hell, even that acoustic at the start of Lemmings. The piano solo I'm convinced is Banton's in Man Erg (I'm not as sure about the piano in Lemmings... that might be Hammill). Every bloody second of this album is a highlight.

I just don't see putting an album with this much courage, this tight of a band and this many ideas against yer slightly-above-par 'heavy prog' (read hard rock with keyboards and competent intros Wink) album with a real problem on the vocals front. I honestly don't think that VDGG have released an album that isn't better than DWBY (tell a lie, The Aerosol Grey Machine perhaps, but that was meant to be a Hammill solo effort).

Edited by TGM: Orb - July 11 2015 at 16:44
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 16:47
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

LOL

vegas did set this at Pawn Hearts -45... and I didn't didn't touch it.

Not my favorite VDGG album.. and Plague of Lighthouse Keepers is one of biggest pieces of crap ever unleashed on unsupecting prog fan.... who gobbled it up and called it great.. whatever haha..

and this was my favorite Atomic Rooster so it gets the vote.

Pfff if it was called 'una piaga di guardini del faro' you'd probably love it WinkLOL
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 18:22
VdGG.

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>