Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 2nd Round Classics: Hot Rats v. Hosianna Mantra
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2nd Round Classics: Hot Rats v. Hosianna Mantra

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Pick One
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
33 [54.10%]
28 [45.90%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2nd Round Classics: Hot Rats v. Hosianna Mantra
    Posted: July 11 2015 at 09:26
another exercise in stylistic extremes...

in Zappa's corner... a cat avatar.. now that gets micky bonus points.. and a damn good review Clap

Frank Zappa - Hot Rats CD (album) cover

HOT RATS

Frank Zappa

RIO/Avant-Prog

4.33 | 1188 ratings

From Progarchives.com, the ultimate progressive rock music website

TCat
Prog Reviewer
5 stars Those interested in the jazz fusion side of Frank Zappa need to invest in this album and be familiar with it. Most people know there are many sides to Frank Zappa and his music, some are turned off by his humor and others are turned off by his eclectic jazz or classical works, and yet others love his doo wop music. How does one tell which album has which kind of music on it? You have to explore because his discography is so immense. But let it be known that this album "Hot Rats" is a necessary album, especially for jazz fusion lovers. This was FZ's first official, complete (well almost) jazz record and it is essential.

This is also the first studio recording by Zappa after the breakup of The Mothers (though not necessarily the first solo album because he released solo projects while The Mothers were formed). The album itself is completely jazz fusion and instrumental, that is all except for one track, which is a straightforward rocker, which has vocals by Captain Beefheart. That track is "Willie the Pimp". The vocals are not very long though, and most of the track is devoted to an electrifying guitar solo.

As far as the rest of the album, it starts off with FZ's most recognizable jazz fusion work "Peaches en Regalia", which is a short structured jazz work recorded at a faster than normal speed, but when it is performed live, is performed at this speed. This little gem is a quick study in jazz fusion progressive with tricky rhythms and quite a complex melody which is Zappa's trademark. This track works as a great introduction to the album and prepares you for what is ahead. Following this is the aforementioned "Willie the Pimp". This is one of FZs best straightforward guitar solos which stands out on the album since it isn't really jazz oriented as the other tracks. Next is another long track called "Son of Mr. Green Genes" which returns us back to the great jazz fusion that makes up most of the album. This track is based on the melody from "Mr. Green Genes" from the Uncle Meat album. FZ fans will definitely recognize the melody played as a jazz band and the melody acts as the basis for the mostly improvised piece. Zappa solos again but the feeling is different this time. Also, a rarity in Zappa tracks that feature his guitar, he returns to a clear variation of the melody in the middle of the improvisation. Other instruments are acting not only as support but also do improvisations. These things make this track unique among the many improvised solos in Zappa's repretoire.

The second half of this album starts out with another short structured piece called 'Little Umbrellas' which is similar to the structure of 'Peaches en Regalia'. This is followed by an epic fusion piece called 'The Gumbo Variations' which is over 16 minutes on the CD re-issue which had originally been trimmed down to just under 13 minutes on the vinyl version. The longer version starts with some instructions from FZ to the band for starting the track. This is a perfect improvisation piece which features a brass solo followed by an amazing and quite excellent violin solo and followed by another Zappa guitar solo. There are short interludes between each solo involving different sections of the band, including a short percussion solo. Excellent music. The album ends with the 5 minute track called 'Must Be a Camel' which is mostly structured and involves the entire band. Apparently, the title for this track comes from the large melodic jumps that are in the main melody and how this made the notes on the written manuscript look like camel humps. Again, this is an example of Zappa's 'not-so-apparent' humor in his music.

This album remains a staple in the Zappa catalog and is a great introduction to his fusion music. It should be in every progressive rock library and it sets a lot of standards for this style of music. People can't say they don't usually like Zappa music based on a single facet or style of his music. His style would change from one album to the next. You can be a fan of a style of his music and not so much of a fan of another style. The man, overall, is a musical genius, and anyone with a love or an understanding of music will recognize this. That is why Zappa's music is studied in universities and institutions alongside the music of Bach, Bartok, Gerswin and other music geniuses. Of course, Zappa had some not so great endeavors, but that doesn't take away from the fact that the man understood music and had a desire to make his music known to all people, hence the reason for so many different styles and also for his off-color humor. This album is a great representation of the jazz-fusion style of his music and is an essential album. 5 stars.

and in Popol Vuh's corner... another Genre Team great and one of my favorites from the early days of the site. EETU!!!! HeartClap

Popol Vuh - Hosianna Mantra CD (album) cover

HOSIANNA MANTRA

Popol Vuh

Krautrock

4.19 | 213 ratings

From Progarchives.com, the ultimate progressive rock music website

Eetu Pellonpaa
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator
5 stars This album has grown as one of the most affecting and memorable recordings I tend to listen. Its spiritual approach accepting all religions as different manifestations of the same search of sanctity fits to my own tolerant quest of acceptance, and the beauty of ambient textures from acoustic-emphasized instruments glorifies the yearning for tranquil ecstasy, carved firmly on the other side of the coin for political misuse of religions trough superstitious masses.

The sides of the LP form two musical entities, which movement's names are familiar from the Christian lexicon of classical European works, uniting here with global hippie philosophies of meditative musical idioms. "Hosianna - Mantra" starts gentle waves from piano, subtle guitar notes and oriental-toned tambura strings, this setting the scene of cross-cultural viewpoint and spiritual essence of the record clear from the start. Momently cascading piano streams of golden light stir movement to the sacred cycles of this musical prayer, which mostly lingers in the silent corridors of protective monasteries and nature's hideouts from man-created evil. The second movement "Kyrie" is really memorable moment of peace on the record, allowing Conny Veit's delicate guitar weeps and Djong Yun's ethereal singing unite as angelic whispers from tranquil eternity, culmination to ascending melodic progression of salvation. This sequence was also filmed to television, on my understanding as overdub, but however allowing interesting visions from the musicians at their creation environment. Florian Fricke's calm piano lingering reminds the lovely calmness of Bill Evans playing style, yet dissolving to ever more vastness of mental quietude. The main sequence of the three parts spin the mantra of faith residing in the lap of the gods, piano weaving the dynamics for the background movement, giving space for a lovely guitar and oboe solos, vocal adorations and incense-smelling shades from other supporting acoustic instruments. As an artistic creation this work really convinces with the capabilities of reaching sacral resolutions by combining traditional high cultural and modern underground methods. Possibly the purity of aims is more meaningful than the doctrines of expressional instruments.

The second side of the LP is named based on my understanding by the Deuteronomy of Moses. Even though the commandments of this scripture contain many strict codes, it also by my inferior interpretation deals with monotheistic idea of god's simultaneous existence everywhere. This aspect could be seen from broader objective perspective suiting to the acceptance of global deistic panorama of these charming musicians gathered at 1970's Munich playgrounds. From the movements, "Abschied" follows the paths of a tender hymn lead by oboe and guitar, illuminated by enigmatic tambura chords. Very operatic vision, which melody dramatics flow in vein of 17th century European music. "Segnung" blends to these motives more trance-oriented long vision to the horizon, focusing for both lovely soprano voice and guitar notes on this broad view, decorated by myriad oriental tonal ornaments creating most enlightening musical scenery. On the later parts the melodic themes are studied with broader instrumentation and joyful pace creates more solid form trough the rhythm. Surrounded by meditative sound carpets of "Andacht", "Nicht hoch im Himmel" continues with passive straits resembling classical music emulating third stream jazz, which I got familiar from ECM record's, shimmering this emotion-affecting void. Piano and emphasis on guitar gains strength in the later moments, which give me also associations from holy emptiness of Giya Kancheli's "Exil" work, also released through the prolific German record mentioned. "Ave Maria" concludes the album by summing the album's melodic potential for beautifulness, classical music forms contrasted with table-drums and strengthened with a violin. As a whole both sides create a personal culmination point of sacred art music which I would recommend for anybody as a masterpiece of spiritual music sensation, not being difficult to follow, nor lacking artistic content.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 09:27
Frank is a hard act to follow.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 09:28
Tried to vote for Zappa, will try again. I like at least 5 PV albums above that one.
Magma America Great Make Again
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 09:29
Have to go for Hot Rats - c'mon, it's Zappa (sorry Master Fricke).
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 10:10
I do love my Popol Vuh but Hot Rats destroys Hosianna Mantra.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 10:42
Hosianna Mantra's good, but it's really no contest here. Hot Rats it is!
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 10:45
Sorry Zappa, but the beautiful Hosianna Mantra.
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 11:04
Z-z-z-z-zappa!
PROGMATIC
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 11:45
I'll have to vote for Zappa because its his only album I TRULY enjoy.
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 11:49
I haven't heard much PV but what I have heard would not come close to Hot Rats.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 12:00
The father of Moon Unit, Dweezil, Ahmet and Diva.
Thandrus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 12:07
Zappa's album is darn classy, but Hosianna Mantra is beautiful, unique for the time and a huge influence on Krautrock, new age and world music.
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 12:31
Own both of these but play Hot Rats more often so voted for Frank.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 12:41
I love PV. 

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 14:40
Originally posted by LearsFool LearsFool wrote:

Sorry Zappa, but the beautiful Hosianna Mantra.

yep...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 14:50
Hosianna Mantra
This night wounds time.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 14:59
Need to hear both again, love them both and can't split them
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 16:41
Hot Rats
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 17:28
Twenty dollar bill, I can set you straight...
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 18:07
Oh geez. These are both great, and in actuality it depends on the mood I'm in to say which one I prefer. Today, I'm in more of a Vuh mood, so I'm gonna give my vote to them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>