Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow have your tastes in music changed?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2015 at 14:22
Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

How have your tastes in music, in prog or other genres, changed over time and why?

I'm long in the tooth, so I've had extreme changes in my musical tastes from embracing death metal after befriending some death metal groups from Florida in the 90's, to embracing world music because of Peter Gabriel's involvement with that genre's music and artists in the eighties, just to state two examples.

I don't expect everyone to have such wide reaching changes in their appreciation for music over time, but what are some your own? And why?

Same camp, brother. I was obsessed with early 90's Floridian death metal almost exclusively from about 2005 to 2010, while starting to get into prog around 2008ish (Yes Fragile was the one that hooked me). From 2010 onward, I was very much into prog, but never denied myself some death metal from time to time. Death is still my favorite metal band (of any of the convoluted, pretentious sub-genres) of all time.

If I had to pick one single band, it would be Yes. After hearing their discography, they are without question that one singular band that I was truthfully looking for my entire life Smile.
I should really correct myself and say that my musical tastes how evolved and expanded over time to include death metal, world music and American and British folk rock, to go along with my first loves of hard rock, metal and prog, but I think that you got the picture. Smile
twalsh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2015 at 15:40
I love reading about how others' musical tastes evolve.  Here's my story.

11-13  Top 40 pop and AOR, but already preferring the harder rock that was on the radio.  Reo Speedwagon (shudder), Loverboy (ugh), Billy Squier, Journey, Foreigner, with Rush and Supertramp being positive exceptions
13-18  Almost exclusively metal, preferred Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Metallica (pre 1989) but also liked a lot of hair metal, though I respected it less.  Iron Maiden was my first true favorite band, followed by Queensryche, circa Rage for Order
17-21  Got big into 'Classic Rock', Pink Floyd, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles and Stones, my explorations going backwards rather than forwards and only brushing the edges of old prog.  Discovered Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime in '88, my favorite recording for years but was otherwise backing away from metal, which was sounding either too heavy or cheesy.  I still enjoy a lot of this.
22-28  Discovered Dream Theater's Images and Words (another longtime favorite), otherwise lost in a sea of Grunge, especially Alice in Chains and Soundgarden.  Also big into alternative metal, particularly Living Color, Faith No More, Red Hot Chili Peppers.  Still like all these bands.
28-37  The uninspired years, mostly listening to the heavier side of alt rock.  I still found Operation Mindcrime II, which wasn't bad to my ears.
38-43  A lot of haphazard exploring, experimenting with blues, some modern jazz and Indie Rock.  I was almost completely unaware of prog before PA last year.  Mother Mother, Metric, Keb Mo, Tegan and Sara, etc.
44-45  Tastes expanding in the areas of Prog Metal (the lighter side) Heavy Prog and even a little Neo. There is more to life now than Dream Theater and old Queensryche in the progressive side of music.  Hello Porcupine Tree, Riverside, Edison's Children, Pain of Salvation, and Tool, most of which I immediately liked. Slower to grow on me were Anathema, Haken, Steven Wilson and IQ.  My nickname to myself is 'Conservative Progger' because I take a lot of time to really absorb music and am slow to step beyond my comfort zone.  There is so much to explore now.  I want my music to be unafraid of heaviness, dynamic, complex and lyrically appealing.  So many bands and so little time!!
More heavy prog, please!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2015 at 15:45
^Great overview, Twalsh. The only thing I regret about having so many musical likes is that there is really too  little time to listen to all of the different genres, even now that I'm retired. It simply amazes me.
twalsh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2015 at 15:53

^Great overview, Twalsh. The only thing I regret about having so many musical likes is that there is really too  little time to listen to all of the different genres, even now that I'm retired. It simply amazes me.

So true.  There is so much good music, however it is defined, for those who make the effort to look.  Do you find more willingness to explore now that you're retired?  My openness to new stuff is lower when I have more work stress.

Trevor
More heavy prog, please!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2015 at 15:58
^Generally my plate is quite full trying to catch up on the back log, but I have discovered groups like Kayo Dot, so there are still some breakthroughs.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2015 at 16:14
I'll imitate twalsh.

Let me think:
10 - 15: a lot of variated and strange stuff from Beatles to The Clash, with a lot of music not necessarily hearing the whole artist such as Led Zeppelin, Queen, Secos&Molhados, U2, BTO, Credence...
15 - 19-20: The heavy metal years. I went deep into everything hard rock or heavy metal. Edguy was the bridge between this two periods, soon followed by full discographys (an habit I never lost untill now) of Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Saxon, Budgie... BUT, it was in these years that I discovered JETHRO TULL. Love at fisrt sight, and then the first ventures to prog happen. Begning with Rush and Osanna, I believe...
Last three years: From Jethro Tull, I begin to go after everyhting prog. Yes, Genesis, Gentle Gaint, King Crimson, Camel, Caravan... everything guided by a friend of mine, who put me on track for the italian scene: PFM, Osanna, Banco, Le Orme...
But then this was little, and I was after strange stuff: Yugoslavian bands are now favourites, like Smak, Leb I Sol, Drago Mlinarec, etc.
After a while, Area grab me by the neck and now I worship Demetrio Stratos. By Area, I was soon to follow the RIO path. Henry Cow, Lindsay Cooper, Dagmar Krause, Univers Zero...
Quite recently I've been hearing more jazz (to play better the flute), like Herbie Mann and Hubert Laws. Also things not involved with prog, like cancioneiros, Zeca Afonso, brazilian popular music...

Honorary mentions: Krautorck, although I like, was never something to fall in love for.
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2015 at 16:15
I just posted and already start to remember thousands of things I like and didnt put it there.

Oh, with time you'll know me better, I guess. Smile
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2015 at 16:24
^No problem my friend. I know that you're not writing a book. Smile
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2015 at 16:30
Thumbs Up
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2015 at 16:35

Retired....? ......I'm a year older than you and still checking eyeballs. 
Goldbricker!

Wink

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2015 at 16:42
^Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in again!

But I escaped back into retirement. Whew. Tongue
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2015 at 21:56
I listen to less crap now, I like to think my tastes are always getting less crappy all the time.

Here's an overview of artists I was listening to over the years...

6-8: Motley Crue, AC/DC, Twisted Sister, Bon Jovi
9-11: Beastie Boys, Run-DMC, Ozzy Osbourne, Judas Priest
12-14: Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Anthrax, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Public Enemy, Ice-T
15-17: Faith No More, Primus, Ice Cube, Cypress Hill, Rage Against The Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ministry, Nine Inch Nails, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Butthole Surfers, Snoop Doggy Dogg
18-20: Pink Floyd, Frank Zappa, Radiohead, Korn, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones
21-23: Aphex Twin, Tortoise, GYBE, Boards Of Canada, Squarepusher, Mogwai
24-30: discovered a bunch of stuff in different genres from the 1960s to 1980s; discovered newer stuff from IDM, post-rock and indie
31-37: discovered even more stuff from all genres and eras. 
Magma America Great Make Again
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 00:49
10-12, really the age I started truly taking an interest in music, mostly my dad's favorite bands, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Mountain, Aerosmith, Lynyrd Skynyrd.

12-15, the metal phase, starting with early Metallica as they got played some on the classic rock radio some, gradually got into heavier and more extreme metal, Disturbed, Project 86, Slipknot, Strapping Young Lad, to Vader, Training For Utopia, Satyricon, Demon Hunter, then on to Carcass, early Cattle Decapitation, Terrorizer, Napalm Death.

15-16, started to get into all sorts of different genres, psychedelic rock old and new, Earthless, 13th Floor Elevators, Hawkwind, Kyuss, which lead to me discovering this thing called Prog. Yes, King Crimson, Frank Zappa, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Radiohead, The Moody Blues. At the same time getting into jazz, Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, Spyro Gyra, Pat Metheny, and rap, Clouddead, Busdriver, Aesop Rock, Gorillaz.

16-22, anything experimental, avant-garde, or strange, as well as constantly on the search for new bands in genres i was already familiar with. Not going to try and give a time line here, i'm just going to say that the genres I've gotten most head over heels in love with in this time would probably be krautrock, Guru Guru, Faust, Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk, noise/power electronics, Aube, Masonna, Sutcliffe Jugend, Atrax Morgue, Falx Cerebri, Runzelstirn And Gurgelstock, dark ambient, Lustmord, Megaptera, Contrastate, Raison D'Etre.

At the current time, a couple of my absolute favorite artists (if I have not listed them already), Tom Waits, Captain Beefheart, Throbbing Gristle, The White Stripes, Melvins, Secret Chiefs 3, Empirical Sleeping Consort, Ashtray Navigations, The Gerogerigegege, Current 93, Jonathan Briley, Hanatarash, Evil Moisture, Acid Mothers Temple, Organum, Zoviet France, and hundreds more...

Theres plenty of other artists I could have listed, and some that escape memory at the moment, but that is more or less my musical journey till now, as far as i remember it.

Edited by Sheavy - July 15 2015 at 00:53
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123