Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHas prog lost its way?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Disparate Times View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Has prog lost its way?
    Posted: July 12 2015 at 08:21
The best part of 70's prog bands was that they were all very different from each other and everyone else. Unfortunately it seems that all that ingenuity all these years later have only helped to create guidelines for what progressive music is allowed to be. With bands like Glass Hammer sounding more like a tribute band than an original band. To me that isn't progressive at all. Perhaps they are more interested in selling records than pushing the boundaries of music. I understand that after all that has come to pass it is more difficult now-a-days to create something "brand new" and still be interesting, but the lack of effort to even try, to me, is a very disappointing thing in all of music especially prog.
 I do enjoy what Jack O The Clock is doing, I just hope that all the attention from the prog community doesn't corrupt them too.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 08:37
Great post, and one that finds me in complete agreement. As I have pointed out several times, though I still enjoy the classics, the various modern versions of "conventional" prog leave me cold - with very few exceptions. While I do like a few so-called "retro" bands, my tastes have increasingly grown away from that scene, and now reside more with anything on the fringes of "true-blue" prog. I second your mention of Jack O'the Clock, which I'm looking forward to seeing on stage at ProgDay - though I don't think you need to fear about their becoming a run-of-the-mill prog band in the future.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 08:48
^ nor do we need to worry about corruption of the truly progressive today.  Many of those bands, like Jack O' the Clock, do NOT consider themselves prog, associate themselves with prog or any kind of movement, and any attention given to them by 'prog fan' is just gravy man. They are out there playing to ... music fans.. who could give a sh*t about tags and labels.  Again.. as has been noted by myself and other forward thinkers. The music and those making it has come back full circle to the late 60's/early 70's. They just take their influences and make music..  who cares about what some reviewer/website tags it as. Progressive Rock as it once was, has come back.

Prog Rock?  Dying for years..  sure some still make music that harkens back to the stylistic and sonic standards of the past... but the only people interested in that are old farts and those militant 'prog fan'. Those are dying off just as much as the bands themselves.. be it old age.. or lack of a wider audience. The bands that are thriving today appeal to those who like music..and want something different... not just to 'prog fan' who has, beyond any doubt ...Nearfest?.. shown ZERO real interest in supporting the genre beyond nostalgia bands.. and current nostalgia themed bands.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 08:49
Maybe not run of the mill but their night loops album explored more rock style songs, if it's true that they've depleted their pool of songs from the first four albums this could be the direction they go for better or worse we'll see
progresssaurus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 09:04
^^^^ What can I say? Maybe problem is in me, but you are right Confused LOL

Edited by progresssaurus - July 12 2015 at 09:07
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 09:25
There are very few of the mainstream prog bands who interest me, echolyn and Discipline would be exceptions, there are loads of great bands working at the edges like Normal Love and Make A Rising. I have lots of hope for the modern scene if definitions are expanded.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 09:30
I think there is a big difference between "Progressive" and "Prog"; progressive being more an innovative way to write music, trying to push the boundaries of a particular genre, mixing beat and rhythms, etc. Where as prog is more a genre based on the music created by the progressive bands of what is know the "Classic Era", meaning mostly long pieces, odd meters, a lot of instrumental parts, etc.

Progressive music has always existed, be it jazz, rock, blues, etc, and will always continue to exists, as long as there are artists who want to challenge themselves in their abilities to create interesting, listenable music, but don't expect it to be like it was during the "Classic Era" of progressive rock, which is what's happening with the "Prog" genre.  
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 09:50
What annoys me is the "Comparison game". We are always comparing somthing with another thing.

Maybe thats the sickness of our time. We are always look behind.
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 10:22
Originally posted by GKR GKR wrote:

What annoys me is the "Comparison game". We are always comparing somthing with another thing.

Maybe thats the sickness of our time. We are always look behind.

Yes i agree it is the band's that can't reasonably be compared to others that seem to be doing something right. Sadly you have dig pretty deep to discover those bands.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 10:23
I'm not sure, but most of the times when I start a thread about a new music group that's connected to the progressive rock scene (even distantly) that I also find interesting I don't get as many replies as I've hoped.

No idea how representative this forum is of progressive rock as a "community" in general, though.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Wicket View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 12:44
It's a valid point, this argument, but I've always believed for the past 15 or so years, bands have become to expand their sounds to include different genres, to the point where the lines between rock and prog and metal are so easily blurred, and because of that, artists and bands don't really care about "genre", as it's all music. Same notes, same instruments, just played differently.

Granted, there's obviously a "nostaglic" level that needs to be considered when talking about 60's and 70's prog, but because that was a signature sound, we have so many different prog sub-genres to sort of distinguish themselves from the lot. It all has to do with our innate need to categorize and describe things that ordinary people would find indescribable.

Personally, that's why I enjoy discovering new modern "prog" bands, mainly because they make whatever the hell kind of music they want to make, which is usually a conglomeration of multiple styles, some prog and some not. It's a natural, cyclic progression. Psychedelic rock was all the rage when the kids of the day got sick and tired of the same ol' rock 'n roll. Less than 10 years later the genres was virtually extinct. Music is constantly changing, and always will. It adapts to the trends of the listening populace, and sometimes repeats itself more than once.

So to truly answer the question, no, I don't think prog has necessarily lost its way, it's just started using the iPhone and tablet and shaved off its hippie hair.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 12:53
Never knew that prog had a 'way'.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 13:00
Originally posted by Wicket Wicket wrote:

It's a valid point, this argument, but I've always believed for the past 15 or so years, bands have become to expand their sounds to include different genres, to the point where the lines between rock and prog and metal are so easily blurred, and because of that, artists and bands don't really care about "genre", as it's all music. Same notes, same instruments, just played differently.

Granted, there's obviously a "nostaglic" level that needs to be considered when talking about 60's and 70's prog, but because that was a signature sound, we have so many different prog sub-genres to sort of distinguish themselves from the lot. It all has to do with our innate need to categorize and describe things that ordinary people would find indescribable.

Personally, that's why I enjoy discovering new modern "prog" bands, mainly because they make whatever the hell kind of music they want to make, which is usually a conglomeration of multiple styles, some prog and some not. It's a natural, cyclic progression. Psychedelic rock was all the rage when the kids of the day got sick and tired of the same ol' rock 'n roll. Less than 10 years later the genres was virtually extinct. Music is constantly changing, and always will. It adapts to the trends of the listening populace, and sometimes repeats itself more than once.

So to truly answer the question, no, I don't think prog has necessarily lost its way, it's just started using the iPhone and tablet and shaved off its hippie hair.

This is an exceptional post

Absolutely knowing, and absolutely spot on.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 13:04
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Patrick Moraz
Gentle Yes View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 13:20
Originally posted by Disparate Times Disparate Times wrote:

The best part of 70's prog bands was that they were all very different from each other and everyone else. Unfortunately it seems that all that ingenuity all these years later have only helped to create guidelines for what progressive music is allowed to be. With bands like Glass Hammer sounding more like a tribute band than an original band. To me that isn't progressive at all. Perhaps they are more interested in selling records than pushing the boundaries of music. I understand that after all that has come to pass it is more difficult now-a-days to create something "brand new" and still be interesting, but the lack of effort to even try, to me, is a very disappointing thing in all of music especially prog.
 I do enjoy what Jack O The Clock is doing, I just hope that all the attention from the prog community doesn't corrupt them too.

I completely agree! 
The thing is that it's the way people see music that has changed... It's not about the music anymore.. it's about facebook likes, shows, the image of the bands, views on youtube, beards, clothes... of course there are exceptions but unfortunately they are not enough. Prog is not a music that could have endured this change. The classics long live and prosper because of the huge gift they gave to the world, but the way today's musicians work, I think it would be very difficult to create something as wide as the 70s music. I mean look at today's music.. do you think that if Close to the Edge, an album with three songs, the first one being longer than a tv show episode would gain the publics' liking? I highly doubt it... We are the remnants of an older time.. I myself am a young musician, and I struggle to write original , real music...it's not that easy when you know that there are few who will appreciate it for what it is. 
Unfortunately I think that the golden age of Prog and music in general is going towards it's dusk... All we can do is preserve the memory and prolong it's fading life as much as we can :)
Skalla-Grim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 13:41
70s prog has brought important innovations to the musical structures of rock music. After the 70s, it was popular to return to standard metres, standard harmonic structures and so on. But that was NOT innovation but restoration, a huge (and sad) step back. So if you want to be "truly progressive" today, in my opinion you can't ignore the innovations that prog brought in the 70s.

Sometimes I hear "true progress in rock nowadays is not made in prog rock". And I think when you ask where true progress is made, many music lovers will name bands who can add some strange noises to their rock music but can play only in 4/4.

Edited by Skalla-Grim - July 12 2015 at 13:43
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 13:45
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Never knew that prog had a 'way'.

sure it does.. 20 minute epics.. stupid lyrical concepts, often done to death in 80 minute musical death marches. loads of mellotron and a Rickenbacker bass..

you know.. Prog Rock.. the genre...  dying off thankfully.. replaced by real progressive music. Creative stuff man.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Gentle Yes View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 13:57
Originally posted by Skalla-Grim Skalla-Grim wrote:

70s prog has brought important innovations to the musical structures of rock music. After the 70s, it was popular to return to standard metres, standard harmonic structures and so on. But that was NOT innovation but restoration, a huge (and sad) step back. So if you want to be "truly progressive" today, in my opinion you can't ignore the innovations that prog brought in the 70s.

Sometimes I hear "true progress in rock nowadays is not made in prog rock". And I think when you ask where true progress is made, many music lovers will name bands who can add some strange noises to their rock music but can play only in 4/4.

So true.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 14:27
The path of prog is not preordained - there is no "way" to lose.

It goes where it wishes and that's what I like about it.

Some bands move prog on in weird and unexpected ways, others do what has been attempted before in new and different ways. Only a very few try to imitate and replicate the 70s.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 14:33
Prog lost its way around 1983 but regained it pretty quickly during the late 80's and 90's and is today almost as strong as it was in its heyday of the 70's!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>