Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - NYC- Secret Cheifs, Cleric, Mick Barr, Toby Driver
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNYC- Secret Cheifs, Cleric, Mick Barr, Toby Driver

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: NYC- Secret Cheifs, Cleric, Mick Barr, Toby Driver
    Posted: July 14 2015 at 15:16
So... Starting tonight in NYC there are 4 "The Stone" residencies from prog rock genius crazy folks. These are probably going to be the noisiest performances yet. A "residency" at the Stone means you play 2 different shows a night 5 or 6 days in a row. This means 10 to 12 performances from each artist.

I don't mean to sound like I"m promoting this place here. I'm honestly promoting the fact that I am going to plenty of these and I want to invite other PA people to come- because dang it this is going to be awesome...

I'm going to go to probably 2 or 3 of these for each week I'm listing. If you're located in NYC and feel like checking out some experimental music. Personal Message me and I will make sure we cross paths!!

Secret Chiefs 3- including nights performing John Zorn compositions, performing as particular satelites bands, performing with improv groups of guys... Featuring Jason Schimmel from Estradasphere/Atomic Ape, and Matt from MirThkon, and MORE. Yes.

Cleric- The most dense and ridiculous experimental metal band. There will be nights of just Matt Hollenberg, nights of them performing their albums in full, one night of them performing a John Zorn composition. Basically- madness. There is even a night where Mick barr, Colin Marston, and a slew of other experimental metal guys are literally just going to make AS MUCH NOISE as possible. Hell yea!

Mick Barr- Oh yea. This guy. There will be lots of noise this week. Krallice is going to be playing a show. This will be a phenomenal weird thing in that venue. There's also some crazy improv nights and other insanities. I guess Mick Barr is even going to do a night of softer music... which will be the first soft music of his I could imagine I would have ever heard.

Toby Driver- Yeap. Maudlin of the Well is going to play a show!!!!! YES! That is RIGHT. Going to have to show up an hour or TWO maybe to get in on this one. But hell yes you know for a fact I'm going. Furthermore, Kayo Dot is playing several different sets this week- the entirety of Choirs of the Eye one night, the entirety of Coffins on Io another night. Great things! And Toby Driver weird experimental compositions galore!

HEre is the full list of these 4 amaaaazing weeks of music.

THE STONE RESIDENCIES
SECRET CHIEFS 3
JULY 14—19

7/14 Tuesday (MJC)
8 pm
l’OEillère
Nicolas Gardrat (guitar)
Selections from Secret Chiefs 3 songbook by this French/Belgian acoustic guitar autodidact.

10 pm
Cleric
Matt Hollenberg (guitar) Nick Shellenberger (vocals, keyboards) Dan Kennedy (bass) Larry Kwartowitz (drums) 
“Phyllotaxis” (Spruance tessellation piece.)

7/15 Wednesday (AV)
8 pm
SC3: UR
Trey Spruance (guitar) Matt Lebofsky (keyboards) Toby Driver (bass) Jason Schimmel (guitar) Ches Smith (drums)
Supra-sensory surf music.

10 pm
SC3: Ishraqiyun Tasbih Ensemble
Matt Lebofsky (keyboards) Shanir Blumenkranz (gimbre, oud) Kenny Grohowski (drum elements) Matt Hollenberg (guitar) Larry Kwartowitz (drum elements) Ches Smith (conga, drum elements) Toby Driver (bass) Trey Spruance (conducting, kinnor when appropriate)
Polyhedral relations in rhythm and tonality. Three duos around a keyboard in interactive tessellations pieces “Perichoresis”, “Phyllotaxis” and others.

7/16 Thursday (JA)
8 pm
Jason Schimmel Trio
Jason Schimmel (guitar) Shanir Blumenkranz (bass) Kenny Grohowski (drums)
Arrangements of SC3 music for jazz trio.

10 pm
Secret Chiefs 3 plays selections from Masada Book III, The Book Beriah
Eyvind Kang (violin) Matt Lebofsky (keyboards) Shanir Blumenkranz (bass, oud) Ches Smith (mallets, percussion) Kenny Grohowski (drums) Jason Schimmel (guitar) Trey Spruance (baritone guitar)
WORLD PREMIERE! A whole new set of Zorn compositions!

7/17 Friday (LC)
8 pm
SC3: FORMS: Salon/Fantasia
Trey Spruance (conducting, keyboards) Eyvind Kang (violin) Jessika Kenney (voice) Matt Lebofsky (keyboards) Toby Driver (bass, keyboards) Ches Smith (mallets, percussion) Jason Schimmel (piano, keyboards, guitar) Ryan Parish (flute) Kenny Grohowski (percussion)
Presenting new chamber music live ensemble format (Salon/Fantasia) familiar from recorded pieces like "Scorched Earth Saturnalia". Probably the finest ensemble ever assembled for SC3 in a concert almost entirely made up of of world premiers.

10 pm
Secret Chiefs 3 Plays John Zorn’s Masada Book II, Xaphan
Trey Spruance (guitar) Eyvind Kang (violin) Jason Schimmel (guitar) Matt Lebofsky (keyboards) Toby Driver (bass) Ches Smith (drums)
Xaphan featuring Eyvind Kang!

7/18 Saturday (RK)
8 pm
SC3: ISHRAQIYUN
Trey Spruance (saz, microtonal guitar, kinnor) Eyvind Kang (violin) Jessika Kenney (voice) Matt Lebofsky (keyboards) Shanir Ezra Blumenkranz (gimbre, oud) Ryan Parish (kaval) Toby Driver (bass, keyboards) Kenny Grohowski (drums)
Re-invigoration of SC3 staple ensemble, diving more profoundly into the cosmological overlaps with Kang and Kenney. Debuting Spruance and Kang compositions, and performing “Her Sword II” by Jessika Kenney.

10 pm
NT Fan
Trey Spruance (Tonband, guitardead, non) Kang (violint, all) with guest Jessika Kenney (shapeshifting)
The Black Hole that SC3 came out of. Proto power electronics and irreducible mega glitch; first gig in 20 years!

7/19 Sunday (EPKM)
3 pm
JOHN ZORN’S BAGATELLES: CRAIG TABORN
Craig Taborn (piano) Thomas Morgan (bass) Gerald Cleaver (drums)
This concert will begin with a brief discussion between Craig Taborn and John Zorn—followed by a solo piano set and a Trio set. TWENTY DOLLARS

8 pm
SC3: FORMS: Mausolée Mécanique — Funerary Rites
Trey Spruance (keyboard, guitar) Eyvind Kang (violin) Jessika Kenney (voice) Matt Lebofsky (keyboards) Ches Smith (mallets, percussion) Toby Driver (bass, keyboards) Kenny Grohowski (drums) Jason Schimmel (piano, keyboards, guitar)
Post-environmental-catastrophe haunting of the wooden machines at the Theatron Animatronique. New compositions added to repertoire! Familiar miniature touring ensemble is here expanded well beyond previous limitations, so listeners might better appreciate these angelic/spectral laments, explosive fireworks displays and automatic pipe organ dirges set in motion by the golems and totems from the mechanical age.

10 pm
Secret Chiefs 3 plays selections from Masada Book III, The Book Beriah
Eyvind Kang (violin) Matt Lebofsky (keyboards) Shanir Blumenkranz (bass, oud) Ches Smith (mallets, percussion) Kenny Grohowski (drums) Jason Schimmel (guitar) Trey Spruance (baritone guitar)
Second ever concert of these new Zorn compositions, last chance to hear it before we record it!

THE STONE RESIDENCIES
CLERIC
JULY 21—26

7/21 Tuesday (MJC)
8 pm
Music for Film
Matt Hollenberg (guitars, keyboards) Dan Kennedy (bass, guitars) Larry Kwartowitz (drums, percussion) Nick Shellenberger (voice, keyboards, electronics)
A collection of music written and recorded for film over a two year period. Debut performance.

10 pm
John Frum
Matt Hollenberg (guitars) Liam Wilson (bass) Eli Litwin (drums)

7/22 Wednesday (RJP)
8 pm
Groups of Two
Matt Hollenberg (guitars, keyboards) Dan Kennedy (bass, guitars) Larry Kwartowitz (drums, percussion) Nick Shellenberger (voice, keyboards, bass, drums)
An exploration of the duets that comprise the quartet through a series of improvisations.

10 pm
Hollenberg & Grohowski
Matt Hollenberg (guitars) Kenny Grohowski (drums)

7/23 Thursday (KR)
8 pm
Ambient Collaborations
Matt Hollenberg (guitars, keyboards) Dan Kennedy (bass, guitars), Larry Kwartowitz (drums, electronics) Nick Shellenberger (keyboards, voice) Ron Varod (guitars)
Improvisations in the realm of calm suspense. Additional guests may appear.

10 pm
Cleric and Guzzlemug perform The Exquisite Corpse
Matt Hollenberg, Shane Prendeville (guitars) Dan Kennedy, Tom Kelly (basses) Larry Kwartowitz, Charlie Werber (drums, percussion) Nick Shellenberger (keyboards, voice)
In the tradition of the exquisite corpse one group picks up where the other leaves off in a half-blind improvisational jamboree.

7/24 Friday (NY)
8 pm
Gulag
Larry Kwartowitz (drums) Mick Barr (guitar) Matt Motell (keytar)
Bizarre three-piece insanity.

10 pm
Regressions
Matt Hollenberg (guitars) Dan Kennedy (bass) Larry Kwartowitz (drums) Nick Shellenberger (keyboards, voice)
Cleric performs their 2010 release, Regressions. Special guests.

7/25 Saturday (SV)
8 pm
Free Form Two-Headed Metal Stylings
Matt Hollenberg, Mick Barr, Colin Marston (guitar) Dan Kennedy (bass) Nicholas McMaster (bass) Larry Kwartowitz (drums) Lev Weinstein (drums) Nick Shellenberger (keyboards, voice)
Cleric and Krallice obliterate the metal genre. Expect comedy.

10 pm
Retrocausal
Matt Hollenberg (guitars) Dan Kennedy (bass, guitar) Larry Kwartowitz (drums, percussion) Nick Shellenberger (keyboards, voice, bass, guitar)
Cleric perform their upcoming release, Retrocausal, for the first time in its entirety. Special guests

7/26 Sunday (KRKR)
3 pm
JOHN ZORN’S BAGATELLES: MATT HOLLENBERG with NICK MILLEVOI
Matt Hollenberg (guitar) Nick Millevoi (guitar)
Solos and duo versions of the bagatelles.

8 pm
Cleric performs Masada, pt. 1
Matt Hollenberg (guitars) Dan Kennedy (bass) Larry Kwartowitz (drums, percussion) Nick Shellenberger (keyboards, voice)
Cleric performs pieces from the Masada songbook. Special guests!

10 pm
Cleric performs Masada, pt. 2
Matt Hollenberg (guitars) Dan Kennedy (bass) Larry Kwartowitz (drums, percussion) Nick Shellenberger (keyboards, voice)
Cleric performs pieces from the Masada songbook. Special guests!

THE STONE RESIDENCIES
MICK BARR
AUG 18–23

8/18 Tuesday (KR)
8 pm
Mick Barr solo guitar: fast music
Mick Barr (guitar)

10 pm
M.N.D.L.S.B.L.S.T.N.G.
Mick Barr (guitar) Nondor Nevai (drums)

8/19 Wednesday (SK)
8 pm
Oldest
Brooks Headley (drums) Mick Barr (guitar, vocals)

10 pm
BarrSheaDahl
Mick Barr (guitar) Kevin Shea (drums) Tim Dahl (bass)

8/20 Thursday (MJC)
8 pm
Marc Edwards/Mick Barr duo
Marc Edwards (drums) Mick Barr (guitar)

10 pm
Mick Barr/Brian Degraw/Tim Dewit
Mick Barr, Brian Degraw, Tim Dewit

8/21 Friday (BAL)
8 pm
Overishins
Mick Barr (guitar) Johnny Deblase (bass) Chuck Bettis (throat, electronics) Mike Pride (drums)

10 pm
Krallice
Mick Barr (guitar, vocals) Nicholas McMaster (bass, vocals) Colin Marston (guitar) Lev Weinstein (drums)

8/22 Saturday (ICS)
8 pm
Hathenter: Supermeld (4 guitar meld)
Mick Barr, Colin Marston, Brandon Seabrook, Eliane Gazzard (guitars)

10 pm
Mick Barr/Weasel Walter assault set
Mick Barr (guitar) Weasel Walter (drums)

8/23 Sunday (ISAV)
3 pm
JOHN ZORN’S BAGATELLES: THEATRE OF OPERATIONS
Shanir Blumenkranz (bass) Kenny Grohowski (drums) Brian Marsella (keyboards)

8 pm
Improvitor
Mick Barr (strings) Lev Weinstein (percussion)

10 pm
Mick Barr solo guitar: slow music
Mick Barr (guitar)

THE STONE RESIDENCIES
TOBY DRIVER
AUG 25-30

8/25 Tuesday (BS)
8 and 10 pm
Maudlin of the Well
Toby Driver (guitar, vocals) Greg Massi, Josh Seipp (guitars) Sam Gutterman (drums) Terran Olson (woodwinds, keys) Jason Byron (vocals, keys) Special Guests Ron Varod (bass) Mia Matsumiya (violin)
mOTW's first performances in 14 years. Two different sets, TWENTY DOLLARS each

8/26 Wednesday (MJC)
8 pm
Kayo Dot plays Choirs of the Eye
Toby Driver (guitar, bass, vocals) Greg Massi, Ron Varod (guitars) Sam Gutterman (guitar, bass) Keith Abrams (drums) Dan Means (woodwinds, keys) Mia Matsumiya (violin) Tim Byrnes (brass, keys) Terran Olson (woodwinds, keys)
TWENTY DOLLARS

10 pm
Ichneumonidae, and Kayo Dot plays Stained Glass
Toby Driver (guitar, bass, vocals) Timba Harris (violin) Russell Greenberg (percussion) Terran Olson (rhodes, synth) Keith Abrams (drums) Tim Byrnes (synth) Ron Varod (guitar) Mia Matsumiya (violin) Dan Means (clarinet, sax, keys)

8/27 Thursday (NY)
8 pm
Tartar Lamb: Sixty Metonymies
Toby Driver (guitar) Mia Matsumiya (violin) Jeremiah Cymerman (clarinet, electronics) Tim Byrnes (trumpet) David Bodie (percussion)

10 pm
Toby Driver: New Chamber Works
Timba Harris (violin)
New compositions for violin.

8/28 Friday (SK)
8 pm
Toby Driver, Greg Massi, and Nick Hudson
Toby Driver (guitar, voice) Greg Massi (guitar) Nick Hudson (piano, voice)
A special collaboration between these MOTWOGs and the brilliant British songwriter and composer from Academy of Sun.

10 pm
Toby Driver: Ballads
Toby Driver (piano, guitar, voice)
For the haters.

8/29 Saturday (SC)
8 pm
Stern
Chuck Stern (vocals, composition) Toby Driver (guitar, vocals) Keith Abrams (drums) Tim Byrnes (synth)
Sinewy, through-composed pop-as-distress-signal.

10 pm
Kayo Dot plays Coyote
Toby Driver (bass, vocals) Mia Matsumiya (violin) Terran Olson (keys) Keith Abrams (drums) David Bodie (percussion) Dan Means (alto sax) Tim Byrnes (trumpet) Ron Varod (synth)

8/30 Sunday (JASV)
3 pm
JOHN ZORN’S BAGATELLES: TRIGGER
Will Greene (guitar) Simon Hanes (bass) Aaron Edgcomb (drums)

8 pm
The Tanks
Ches Smith (drums) Brandon Seabrook (guitar) Toby Driver (bass)
Loud.

10 pm
Kayo Dot plays current material
Toby Driver (bass, synths, voice) Ron Varod (guitar) Keith Abrams (drums) Daniel Means (sax, synths)
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2015 at 15:22
I wish i could be there for Choirs...

wow.

What an album to experience live..
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2015 at 15:50
Jealous as hell Cry. I wish we could be there!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2015 at 15:55
Thanks Twalsh. Me and Misses will  probably check out Mr. Driver.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2015 at 16:03
I posted about Toby's but didn't realise the others had residencies going as well. Really, really wish I could be there for SC3 and all things Driver.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2015 at 16:13
I was seriously considering visiting NYC during Toby's residency.  That would be a dream come true for me Smile
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2015 at 16:32
Originally posted by bloodnarfer bloodnarfer wrote:

I was seriously considering visiting NYC during Toby's residency.  That would be a dream come true for me Smile

I'll give you a cheap place to crash if you desire! It's gonna be killer! Woo That Maudlin of the Well, 2 sets, then Choirs of the Eye the next night is gonna be amazing.

Oh and also, no one underestimate how amazing Cleric actually is. They are one of the most brutally experimental metal bands that I've heard. Our engineer Colin introduced me to their music because he said they are one of the other bands that he has worked with that used 100 tracks in a song. Haha
bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2015 at 17:16
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

Originally posted by bloodnarfer bloodnarfer wrote:

I'll give you a cheap place to crash if you desire! It's gonna be killer! Woo That Maudlin of the Well, 2 sets, then Choirs of the Eye the next night is gonna be amazing.
nice!  I'll let you know if I decide to go so we can at least meet up for the show.  I haven't really worked out the logistics to see if it fits in my budget/vacation time yet.  Seems like a stretch but I don't think an opportunity like this will ever come up again.

I've never heard of cleric so I'll have to check it out!

Edited by bloodnarfer - July 14 2015 at 17:18
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2015 at 17:35
damn man.. if there was even the slightest chance of swinging at that... I'd have hit it.. right out of the park. Wow.. I'd be living there.. for weeks at time LOL

Edited by micky - July 14 2015 at 17:35
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply