Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGo Set A Watchman?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Go Set A Watchman?
    Posted: July 14 2015 at 17:08
buying or ignoring?

I was sort of ambivalent about it suspecting, as some/many, the legitimacy of it. That combined with just concentrating on the real world 10' in front of face ..today sort of crept up on me.  So scanning through Progspin.. err.. Deadspin after getting home from work I read this.

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/hey-you-dont-have-to-read-harper-lees-new-book-1717583752

Well.. it does seem any doubts may be removed... ghost written by a family member in search of a large payday when she finally passes on?  Reallly?

Shockingly, in Ms. Lee’s long-awaited novel “Go Set a Watchman” (due out Tuesday), Atticus is a racist who once attended a Klan meeting, who says things like “the Negroes down here are still in their childhood as a people.” Or asks his daughter: “Do you want Negroes by the carload in our schools and churches and theaters? Do you want them in our world?”

In “Mockingbird,” a book once described by Oprah Winfrey as “our national novel,” Atticus praised American courts as “the great levelers,” dedicated to the proposition that “all men are created equal.” In “Watchman,” set in the 1950s in the era of the Brown v. Board of Education decision, he denounces the Supreme Court, says he wants his home state “to be left alone to keep house without advice from the NAACP” and describes N.A.A.C.P.-paid lawyers as “standing around like buzzards.”

Not sure who wrote this.. sure as hell likely not Harper Lee. Thoughts?

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Mr. Maestro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2015 at 18:07
The fact that Atticus is characterized differently in Watchman is just an indication of how the novel, its story, and its characters developed along a different path in Lee's mind than did To Kill a Mockingbird.  As I understand it, the Atticus in Watchman is not the same Atticus, and was never intended to be.

Now, the fact that the new book is being presented as a sequel to Mockingbird is shameful and disgusting, but I don't see any reason yet to condemn the novel itself. I've already acquired a copy, and I'll be reading it soon. I intend to reserve any judgment until I've actually read the thing.

Edited by Mr. Maestro - July 14 2015 at 18:11
"I am the one who crossed through space...or stayed where I was...or didn't exist in the first place...."
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2015 at 18:16
I'll be curious to hear your thoughts... I won't buy it for sure.  As it was I started foaming at the mouth as I read those articles.. angered if you will. Call me a idealist.. hell call me flaming liberal.  I am defintely both but  Atticus Finch really was.. representative of an ideal.. of what this country should be. Fairness, compassion, tolerance. It think it really angers me to see a defining novel of what this country is.. at its best, and character of it who represents it in person, repudiated.  I hate bigotry.. of all types.. but I hate racial bigortry with a great great passion.

bah...  back to the music polls.  Makes fans of  generic souless fusion look like saints...

Edited by micky - July 14 2015 at 18:18
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2015 at 18:23
That's perfectly understandable. I'm just saying, I don't think we need to - or even should - interpret the "new" Atticus as a repudiation of the truly great man he was in Mockingbird, since they aren't really, and never were, the same person. But I completely understand feeling angry about it, anyway.
"I am the one who crossed through space...or stayed where I was...or didn't exist in the first place...."
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2015 at 18:32
well I got a chance to vent..

seriously though. I'd be curious as to your thoughts as you read it or finish it

as well as of any others.. I have a feeling there will be quite a lot of interesting discussion about this.  I was more shocked than anything when I read that today. Like .. hmm.. good example..  a newly released book/movie depicted Spock as a child molesstor.  Some ideals of childhood we hold dear.  that Spock was all that was good in outer space.. and Atticus Finch was symbolic the type of American we all could be proud of.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2015 at 19:12
There is a reason Ms. Lee never had Go Set a Watchman published in over 60 years. But now, suddenly, it is a done deal? She is 88 years-old, suffered a stroke and is nearly blind and deaf, and her sister who was her protector and executor is dead. Who reaps the windfall here on a sure blockbuster bestseller? Certainly not Ms. Lee. I am very dubious of the whole undertaking.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2015 at 19:14
It is a bit unnerving to think the original concept of Mockingbird was a much more complicated and, perhaps, more realistic story about a deeply racist but highly professional attorney.   It suggests the book was not the righteous feel-gooder it became, but was in fact a more honest, interesting and human novel that was rejected because it presented an ugly picture of real southern US culture.   Mainstream needs outweighed what would've been a unique and sincere if disturbing exploration of human nature.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2015 at 19:33
perhaps and I'm glad it didn't.  It wouldn't have been half the novel.. nor would it have had a fraction of the impact. This wasn't Upton Sinclair's The Jungle here.. our parents knew what was going on in the south... we don't need literature to tell us the way the world is... no more than we need weathermen to tell us it is raining outside.

It became a classic bit of American literature, perhaps THE American novel, because it just wasn't reporting the way things were.. but reminded us to the ideals we should aspire TO. For many the book did, it sure did for me, as well as seeing Peck portray him in the movie. One of the handful books that I believe directly affected who I later became or at least shrived to be as a person.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2015 at 19:49
Aspirations for sure, and maybe that was for the best.   Just observing how an effort to create something truly original and shockingly honest doesn't go over too well when selling a book.   Or at least not back then.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2015 at 20:22
Looking through the canon of American literature, there are candidates for the grand title of The Great American Novel that are shockingly dour and honest, most notably The Great Gatsby, lifting the golden curtain hiding the dark underbelly of the Roaring Twenties and presenting a tale of misplaced and obsessive love. I'm starting to realise that this is in a foil category to a category with the likes of Mockingbird and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, where the dark realities are fought by great heroes - remember that in the latter book a young man who otherwise gallivanted with Tom Sawyer proved morally strong, anti-racist, willing to protect his friend from hatred even to the point of travelling into a metaphorical Hell. If Mockingbird was a Gatsby of the Depression Era South, it could have been similarly popular, but, turning it over in my head, I do have to say that it probably wouldn't work as a novel that way, and for that not be popular.

The BBC review of Watchman points out details in Mockingbird where the image of Atticus as a Huck Finn of his time is chipped away at, the realities of this legacy of Lee's early drafts being thrown into the light byWatchman. As far as the possibly-a-sequel's expansion on this, though, it does come across as ham fisted, and Watchman as a whole juvenalia. Lee did originally decide not to publish anything other than Mockingbird, probably in a big way because of this, and so Watchman's release is fishy, but I'd say it opens a new door of literary criticism for Mockingbird otherwise forgotten: Was Atticus really an out-and-out hero? And now with that, another: If not, does this tarnish the greater legacy of Mockingbird?
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 00:37
Hey micky-

I'm suspicious of anyone judging a piece of art before, you know, actually experiencing the thing himself.

I don't need an article to tell me what to think about a book.  I can read it and make up my own mind.

Hey, You Don't Have To Read Harper Lee's New Book

Well...no sh*t.  Most people won't.  LOL

Edited by Epignosis - July 15 2015 at 00:38
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 15:51
Wink

never let your common sense get in the way of a good rant.

Micky's rules of life.. #31.

That said.. I am leaning more towards reading it.. curiousity has killed many of my 9 lives already...but again.. I won't support the backers of this.  The profiteers behind this.  It damn well was not authorized by Lee.  I'll get it from the library some day... 
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 16:14
A few words from an ignorant Brit.

I loved To Kill A Mockingbird. It is easily one of the most important works of the 20th century. Like many others, Atticus Finch as a character had a big influence on me as a young man.

I will buy the "new" novel, and will judge it when I have read it. I am not one to be overly influenced by critics or the twitterati, or social media.

A few thoughts, though.

Is it not possible, or, indeed, probable, that Atticus Finch defended Tom because he was INNOCENT (sorry for shouting), and not because he was black? In other words, he would have done the same for anybody in that situation, because, for him, American justice applied to everyone, all in the land, and that was why it was and is the great leveller.

As regards Scout, she was a young child in the book. The book was written from the child's perspective, and children of that age, no matter how perceptive, see things in terms of right and wrong, black and white (again, sorry), and that, to me, was one of the incredible things about it. Scout would not have seen things quite the same as an adult, because adults have to adjust to reality, and the reality was, as far as an ignorant Brit sees it, that racial tension, history, and culture permeated just about every facet of life then, and probably now, given the tensions still apparent today.

The lynch mob at the town jail. Atticus sat outside not because Tom was black, but because a lynch mob would deny a defendant justice. The defendant had a right to appeal. Further, even if he did not appeal, the law insisted upon him being hung by lawful methods, not by a mob of the ignorant. Atticus was an educated, middle class man, and, like many of his status, would have had a deep disdain of the ignorant mob, as, indeed, did many of the negroe class. Poor white trash. The lowest of the low, then, and now.

If one thinks in these terms, then Atticus as a rather angry old, conservative, man, raging against change, and worrying deeply whether that change is good for the society he lives in, actually starts to make sense.

I hope this all makes sense.

I should not need to say this, but this post is not a defence of racism, or intolerance. You all know my politics too well for that.

It is, though, my interpretation of the original novel. A wonderful story, told through the eyes of an innocent child, who has to adjust damned quickly to the realities of the world and society around her.

Atticus Finch was not a liberal Saint. He was a Southern Democrat, fully immersed in his society, a white society with a negroe maid, with a very strong sense of fairness and professionalism, a deep belief in the power and force of the law, and deeply disturbed at the way that depression, poverty (physical and intellectual) put at risk that lawful way of life.

That is the Atticus I admired, and I hope I still do when I have read Harper Lee's original story.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 16:29
excellent post Steve.

I've sort of come off my hard line, my angry line (at least as far as smearing one of the greatest and noble fictional characters we have in our own literary tradition here) for having come to understand the notion this should not be viewed (or judged) as a sequel but for what it was.. a rejected first manuscript.

In that, if that is indeed what this book is, then it really has a curiosity factor.. and well.. might DAMN well explain why Harper was so against ever seeing it released.

In essence we might well have two different characters in thoughts and motivations. The only thing they share.. is the name.

Edited by micky - July 15 2015 at 16:30
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 16:39
^Cheers, Micky.

I definitely share the curiosity about this, and it will be interesting to see views when we have all read it.

First, though, I need to finish my present book, which, ironically, is The Confessions of Nat Turner. Styron was another Southern person who relocated to, and wrote in, New York. I am enjoying it, but is not a damned easy read at all, and I gather that he came in for quite a lot of criticism from folks at the time it was published.

It is good we read and debate these issues. The forum is all the better for these conversations.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 16:55
and cheers back at ya Steve.. with this rather disappointing vintage of Lipton Iced Tea  with a killer 0.0 ABV.

so in the spirit of debate...  let me pick at your thoughts...

The lynch mob at the town jail. Atticus sat outside not because Tom was black, but because a lynch mob would deny a defendant justice. The defendant had a right to appeal. Further, even if he did not appeal, the law insisted upon him being hung by lawful methods, not by a mob of the ignorant. Atticus was an educated, middle class man, and, like many of his status, would have had a deep disdain of the ignorant mob, as, indeed, did many of the negroe class. Poor white trash. The lowest of the low, then, and now.

If one thinks in these terms, then Atticus as a rather angry old, conservative, man, raging against change, and worrying deeply whether that change is good for the society he lives in, actually starts to make sense.

There I disagree passionately.  Atticus Finch was not ONLY defined by what he did for Tom..there would have existed an ambigiquity as to motive.  Upholding the law or having done as he did out of his own moral compass...  where that was answered.. and why he is so beloved as a character is shown  in his bringing up of his daughter. Teaching her fairness, compassion, and resisting the .. umm mob mentality and shallow  judgements based ON race.  Now that is a complete 180 from the Atticus Finch from one book to the other.  A fundamental change in a personal ethos like that does not come from anything less than a massive life trauma if you will. That is not merely growing older, wiser(?).  Now if the book goes INTO why there was this change.. yes.. goddamnit man.. now that would be interesting to read.  However I will surprised if it as again.. I think this version of Atticus Finch share nothing with original .. other than name.

Edited by micky - July 15 2015 at 16:57
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 17:20
I haven't read Mockingbird yet, so I can't comment on story. However, being an old woman with dementia, there is always the possibility that she wasn't really in her right mind when she gave the thumbs up to release the book, or even worse, she might not have given her consent at all. She only published one book in her lifetime up until now, and surely there must have been a reason why Go Set A Watchman wasn't published in 50 years (first draft was apparently completed in '57).
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 20:39
Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

I haven't read Mockingbird yet, so I can't comment on story. However, being an old woman with dementia, there is always the possibility that she wasn't really in her right mind when she gave the thumbs up to release the book, or even worse, she might not have given her consent at all. She only published one book in her lifetime up until now, and surely there must have been a reason why Go Set A Watchman wasn't published in 50 years (first draft was apparently completed in '57).

I think the reactions speak a bit to the why's...LOL  From what I understand... this book.. in part or in full.. was what she originally submitted to her publisher.  Her publisher picked up on the flashbacks to Scouts childhood and pointed her in that direction for her novel.. thus we have To Kill A Mockingbird.

Wouldn't have been the same kind of book ehh if Atticus was a right wing bigot and burning crosses and lynching blacks when not at work huh.  She obviously rewrote the characters.  Thus the likely difference in Atticus.  Who knows.. that is part of the mystery for all I think. The details of the book.. are quite murky.. likely for good reason as it was her lawyers or family that took advantage or her failing facilties and overruled her express wishes over 50+ years that it not be published. I can relate.. we all can..  she probably wasn't proud of it. Perhaps not the different portreyal of Atticus (even though the idealist in me would love to think so...) but perhaps something as simple as an artist. .an author recognizing it was sh*t.. a first draft submitted to a publsher.

I'm already reading some feedback that .....for all the historical and titillatious curiosity on the book and details of just how the book came to finally be published... the book as it stands on its own is a f**king mess and not particularly well written.  Of course we'll all be teh judges of that as we read it.. but would anyone be surprised that a 1st draft manuscript put out as a novel simply may not be a very good book.  Interesting.. I think I'm hitting the city library tomorrow and get on the waiting list for the book. Still no plans to invest one goddamned penny to give to those who shamefully ignored her wishes.. there was no sense of 'history' in that. Of course it was pushed by those set to profit immensely when she does pass.. likely in the next few years.

Edited by micky - July 15 2015 at 20:39
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 20:59
I'm three chapters in now. It's not bad, so far. Unpolished and somewhat amateurish in places, but far from bad.

Perhaps it will get worse as it goes along.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 21:01
Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>