Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Wider and narrower senses of "progressive rock"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWider and narrower senses of "progressive rock"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2015 at 22:18
^^ That's what I am trying to say. Categorising anti-war or anti-big business positions as leftist is an American position. And the developed world as such has moved to the right since the 80s. I don't think the modern day Labour party is any more left than Democrats. Come to India and fossils like the CPM will remind you of what the left was like traditionally. Likewise Left is very strong in Latin America. And why am I applying the traditional left position to Rush? Because these songs were written in the 70s at the height of the Left. There is a book of Rand from the period where she laments that nobody wants to defend capitalism. Ahem, certainly not something that could be said today.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2015 at 22:39
Also, not to turn this into the libertarian thread, but economic libertarians dislike big business as much as the left. It's just that they believe big govt is the best friend of big business and therefore advocate deregulation to help smaller businesses. Whereas the leftist approach was to get anti monopoly laws passes. The left uses govt as an instrument of change whereas the libertarian right would rather do away with govt.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2015 at 23:51
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Also, not to turn this into the libertarian thread,

Too late.

If Rush have politics it seems like Humanism more than anything.   I suspect the three of them would be chuckling at our attempts to interpret who they are and what their songs mean except in the most literal terms.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2015 at 00:10
You have stated that position before and I disagree. A band that openly professes admiration of an ideologue cannot ask the audience not to interpret.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2015 at 00:42
^ Then why don't you contact them and ask.   Otherwise you'll never know, and we'll keep having a circular and increasingly cloying debate.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2015 at 00:55
Why should I? I am pretty content deriving my interpretations and even if I don't go along completely with hackettfan's interpretation, I found it an interesting one. I am actually a fan of Rush and have every album from 2112 to Moving Pictures plus Snakes & Arrows. I am not a Rush fascist though and wouldn't want to be. ;) Sorry but that just had to be said.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678