Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 2nd Round Classics: Ceux Du Dehors v. Depois do Fi
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2nd Round Classics: Ceux Du Dehors v. Depois do Fi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Pick One!!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
21 [52.50%]
19 [47.50%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2nd Round Classics: Ceux Du Dehors v. Depois do Fi
    Posted: July 25 2015 at 07:39
Alrighty. Today we continue the 2nd round of the classics and we move to the bottom of the bracket.

First up...  two greats from the non Anglo set...

From Belgium

Univers Zero!! ClapClapClap

Univers Zero - Ceux Du Dehors CD (album) cover

CEUX DU DEHORS

Univers Zero

RIO/Avant-Prog

3.98 | 126 ratings

From Progarchives.com, the ultimate progressive rock music website

Rune2000
Special Collaborator
Prog Metal Team
5 stars Sometimes you need to take a step back in order to take two forward and Ceux Du Dehors is a perfect example of this notion.

Univers Zero took a major hit with the departure of Roger Trigaux who left the band in order to concentrate on his own vision which resulted in a new RIO/Avant-garde band called Present. Having said that I honestly can't imagine how the band could even intend to push further in the direction that was set by Heresie. The decision was therefore made to go back to the familiar territory set by their brilliant debut album and to try push forward from there.

Once again we get the powerhouse of Daniel Denis and Michel Berckmans showing how much they have evolved their individual styles since the debut album. I remember that at one point, last summer, I was so inspired by Michel Berckmans' bassoon that I seriously began considering taking up the instrument myself but after realizing just how expensive even the cheapest version of the instrument would cost made me quickly forget the whole idea!

Ceux Du Dehors, which is roughly translated to "Those outside", is also noteworthy for the first appearance of Andy Kirk who might not seem all that remarkable just yet but his contribution will definitely become an important part of Univers Zero's sound and direction over the next couple of years.

The album's shorter compositions do a great job of gluing the pieces together but it's those two 10+ minutes performances that are the definite highlights of this release. The opening composition titled Dense has one of the most recognized intro sections which might explain why Ruins chose to cover it in their Progressive Rock Medley on the album Pallaschtom. The whole composition is complete brain candy for thought and senses which will make you want to return to this album time and time again.

After two shorter composition comes the second highlight in the form of Combat. The music here might not be as dense as on the opening track but what it lacks in quality Combat definitely makes up in the overall mood and style. I get the feeling that the band is trying to convey a story of a battle where the middle section of the piece is one of the most chilling moments Univers Zero has ever put on a record.

The concluding section of the album give us two 3+ minute compositions which serve as a brief reminder of the music on Heresie, but due to their short lengths the tracks don't have time to build up the momentum which is obligatory to make this type of material work. The closing piece titled Triomphe Des Mouches is the only section of this album where the band is trying to push their music even further. Although I applaud them for doing it, the direction here doesn't feel completely developed and the performance just gives us a brief taste of something the band never quite delivered on with the release of the next album.

Ceux Du Dehors is one of the band's essential recordings and although I have my doubts regarding originality and innovation this is still Univers Zero we're talking about here! Besides, what it lacks in originality it more than makes up for in quality. Considering that most transitional albums are difficult Univers Zero managed to create the best possible recording they could here. If anything, I would always pick it over The Yes Album, Caress Of Steel and Rubber Soul...combined!

***** star songs: Dense (12:26) Combat (12:53)

**** star songs: La Corne Du Bois Des Pendus (8:42) Bonjour Chez Vous (3:52) La Musique d'Erich Zann (3:29) La Tete Du Corbeau (3:12) Triomphe Des Mouches (5:36)

and from Brazil! Clap

Bacamarte!! ClapClap  and who better to review it than our favorite Brazilian ex-admin and all around great guy!! ClapHeart  GUIGO!!!

Bacamarte - Depois Do Fim CD (album) cover

DEPOIS DO FIM

Bacamarte

Symphonic Prog

4.34 | 662 ratings

From Progarchives.com, the ultimate progressive rock music website

Atkingani
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
5 stars I find it quite surprising that until a couple of years ago I'd never heard this album. well, I knew that BACAMARTE existed, I knew their other album ("Sete Cidades", much more a solo project) and I knew that band's female voice, Jane Duboc, trailed a successful career as a pop singer. I knew also about "Depois Do Fim" but hadn't the curiosity to listen to it. My fault, my fault, I lost certainly a bunch of enjoyable moments. The reasons for this disdain I cannot really list, maybe I was stuck in the 70s prog-scene in Brazil, with the likes of Mutantes, O Terço, Barca do Sol, etc. however, time moved and I felt compelled to follow on.

Well, what to say, this album is astonishing, amazing, admirable and for me, as a Brazilian, touching - I see parts of my beloved country in almost every tune, every detail of "Depois Do Fim". I wouldn't point any band member in particular, they all shine intensely and I wouldn't care too much with the general production, far from being flawless; the songs and the overall atmosphere are those that really count. Also this album is very conceptual dealing with world's end and the aftermath of much abuses on Earth, even if lyrics made it apparently difficult to be caught, the sound that leaves the songs explains clearly the concept after a few hearings.

'UFO', the opening track, starts with some beautiful fingerstyled acoustic guitar chords well in the Brazilian tradition of great violonistas of the past, like Canhoto or Dilermando Reis. The song moves to a kind of serenade, sweetened by Guarany-styled flutes only to give room to majestic synths and a warm rockish swing. There's a new movement, where keyboards and fingered guitars do the show. Soon, once again the splendid flutes return to take part in the musical feast along with the remarkable synth sounds heard before. What a banquet for the ears!

'Smog alado' shows clearly the band's influences in a line close to Jethro Tull, Camel and EL&P. Duboc's vocals appear in a kind of Renaissance mood (another influence), strong, decisive, attractive. Song's final part is very symphonic and catchy.

'Miragem' opens with some oriental tunes soon replaced by guitars boiling like a trio elétrico, which permeates half of the track, until a flute intoning a modinha tune is added giving a delightful feeling of places already seen, people already met, things already done. The electrified fever closes the song.

'Pássaro de luz', a song fitted especially for Jane Duboc's voice (in fact, she got a hit years later with this song), has nice fingered acoustic guitars, the general sensation is puerile, dreamy, uplifting. 'Cano', the short track that follows, is the moment for the musicians show a bit their skills although the song could be extended, since the theme is fair.

'Último entardecer' brings back the symphonic trend, the whole song (the longest in the album) smells like a half-epic, accompanied by philosophic lyrics, dealing with death, madness, fear, hope. Some nice synth chords begin the solo part, followed by guitars and piano segments. Duboc's vocals sound like a warning, an announcement just to introduce the dialog among instruments. Song ends with the 'last sunset' departing while a 'new sunrise' appears.

'Controvérsia' opens with a notorious bossa-nova beat, followed by a salad of sounds that bears resemblance with a jam-session. Anyway, a certain sensation of filler is present. 'Depois do fim', the title-song, is pure symphonic with all those changes in signatures progressive hearers love. The atmosphere is dark, vocals are haunting, and instrumentation is precious, energetic, well in accordance with the scatological theme - the possible end of times, the apocalypse.

'Mirante das estrelas', the bonus closing track, fits well because it summarizes the entire content of the album, piece by piece - it's like a puzzle being solved. All tunes and chords heard along this output is revived smoothly and vividly. The soft and sad parts near the song's end are expected to bring peace, at last.

Final rating is unequivocal, this is clearly a masterpiece: 5 stars.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 07:47
After the end Smile
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 09:03
Uzi
Magma America Great Make Again
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 09:25
Hey, Micky, thanks for remembering me! I'm very flattered! Cool
Guigo

~~~~~~
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 09:40
Depois is a very sweet album even if rather derivative.  But I would hate to see it topple the mighty UZ.  I fear that's very much on the cards.
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 10:23
Depois do Fim for me, but not by much.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 10:34
NO MICKY, DONT MADE ME CHOSE IT! NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 10:36
In any other poll it would be Univers Zero for a GAZILLION to zero.

But against Bacamarte... oh boy.

Go Brazil!

(only Secos & Molhados will compete with them).
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 11:19
Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

Hey, Micky, thanks for remembering me! I'm very flattered! Cool

no more than I was this morning.. Heart That meant a lot

sitting on this one..  this one might be the hardest of all of them LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 13:13
Tough, tough, tough!
Boy...
Well alright... even when voting against a Belgian band... I vote for Bacamarte
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 17:20
Bacamarte.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2015 at 11:44
UZ very easily, top 5 album all-time for me
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2015 at 11:48
ahhh.. this poll.

the hardest by far of any of the current batch. Love both but look how close it is is...ohh oh...and who to disappoint..

Father Guigo and Brother Ivan...

or Auntie Raff and Uncle Ian....
Skalla-Grim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2015 at 12:49
UZ is great in its dark and threatening way, but I think that some parts are too drawn-out for my taste.

Bacamarte is very light and fluent in comparison. My vote goes to the Brazilians who delivered a beautiful classic prog album.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2015 at 13:06
Bacamarte for sure.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 04:47
Hmmmm..tough...

Depois do Fim
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 15:58
last poll standing for me.. and still no clue which way to vote.  Come Saturday.. if tied I may not even vote.. let a tie-break settle it.. and will likely vote for the underdog to try to bring it to one.

First poll actually of all of them we have done so far that i really can not choose.  Interesting...
t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 22:05

Bacamarte for me. That is simply a fabulous album and from what I've heard an overall impressive outfit.
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 20:55

Bacamarte, Depois Do Fim.

When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 22:38
Another poll apparently running to the equalizer.
Guigo

~~~~~~
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>