Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg Starters: Why Don't They Always Take?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog Starters: Why Don't They Always Take?
    Posted: July 26 2015 at 19:45
Like me, I'm sure you've all had friends that, though very appreciative of albums like Close to the Edge or Thick as a Brick, for some reason don't continue to explore prog as a style.   I was one of those friends for a long time, liking and impressed by those LPs just fine but hardly enamored enough to look into the whole "prog" spectrum, much too busy with the larger world of rock to afford the time or loot for the Tull or Yes or Crimson catalog; Hendrix, Zeppelin, Cream, Jeff Beck, CSN&Y, the Allmans, Sabbath, AC/DC, the Police.   Far too much on the menu to get caught-up in some convoluted and turgid art rock   Genesis was barely a blip on my radar, and Gentle Giant or Gryphon, well, good luck with that.   And it wasn't lack of exposure to higher forms as classical or jazz--  my parents always had plenty of that stuff around.

So what is it that tips the balance toward prog rock for someone with a normal rock-oriented background?   Time?   Listening experience?   Matured taste?   What?

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2015 at 20:01
Good pot?

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2015 at 20:02
Just kidding David  :)

Probably different for everyone.  It was never an either/or proposition for me.  I loved all of the above. 

HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2015 at 20:13
The music chooses the Prog fan.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2015 at 20:22
It's that one song that gets you hooked.
For me it was "Roundabout" back in 1972.
After that, all the rest falls into place.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2015 at 20:29
Actually, how does anyone get interested in anything off the beaten path?

In my case I was pretty inquisitive. I liked science fiction and mythology, which Prog frequently dealt with. I loved Old Genesis and was looking for anything else that resembled it. I had access to a used record store filled with Prog that other people I guess failed to get enamored by. And I heard Zappa now and again and then had a couple friends I worked with who were already Zappa fans and liked Old Genesis too.
garfunkel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2015 at 21:03
For me, I first got into a love for music with Simon and Garfunkel, America, Cat Stevens, and other mellow rock a little more than a year ago. I also liked classic rock but not as much.  I then heard Alan Parsons Project in the car with my dad.  Ialso checked out his other cassettes.  He has Fragile, DSOTM, WYWH, but he doesn't enjoy this stuff anymore. Cry I listened to those and it blew me away. Later, I heard From The Beginning by accident on YouTube and looked into it.  I have had a great musical year since.  I think it begins with a person having an appreciation for music and then simply trying new stuff. So now, if I read about an album on ProgArchives and it sounds interesting, I'll definitely be looking into it. It feels so great to have an open mind. Tongue

Now I have a different problem.  My buddy likes jazz, jazz-fusion, classic rock, dubstep and what not. I think he listens to pretty interesting music but doesn't get involved with it as much as I expect someone would. I gave him some recommendations and one was The Grand Wazoo. I'm guessing he liked it, but it doesn't seem he gets any value from it. He basically just listens to music as background to whatever he's doing. That's fine! I'm just expecting a more appreciative attitude for the music.  Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?  Anyone else with a friend like this? LOL

Edited by garfunkel - July 26 2015 at 21:21
t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2015 at 21:13
Short attention spans perhaps ?

Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2015 at 21:20
^ Perhaps, or long-winded music; which to blame?

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
NickArvas View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2015 at 21:39
Well, I was just like you. 
I guess once you're into a mainstream band like Pink Floyd(I started like many others, with their 'Another Brick In The Wall:Part 2'), and slowly got into their more accessible stuff. Once I got into them completely, I started appreciating how well their music was, how it just sort of, for the lack of a better word, flowed.
Then, I found more mainstream Prog bands like Yes, Genesis, Rush and a host of others that just completely took over my taste for songs that are just about love, or sex, or love and sex, or love and sex and money or whatever. :P 
After that, came all the unknown underground bands, but, well, long story short, I had become a hardcore Proghead. 
So, point is, I think a combination of time, listening experience AND a mature taste is what really gets you into Prog.

Wicket View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2015 at 23:11
Mine essentially grew out of boredom from mainstream music.

I looked at what music my brother had on his computer, found a lot of jam bands like Phish and Umphrey's McGee (which I still listen to today), but I also surprisingly found The Mars Volta on his computer. I looked up the "De-Loused" album on iTunes, found Dream Theater as a recommended album, and well, here I am now.
"My music is not modern, it is merely badly played" - Arnold Schoenberg
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2015 at 23:30
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

The music chooses the Prog fan.
I agree.
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 00:23
Originally posted by NickArvas NickArvas wrote:

Well, I was just like you. 
I guess once you're into a mainstream band like Pink Floyd(I started like many others, with their 'Another Brick In The Wall:Part 2'), and slowly got into their more accessible stuff. Once I got into them completely, I started appreciating how well their music was, how it just sort of, for the lack of a better word, flowed.
Then, I found more mainstream Prog bands like Yes, Genesis, Rush and a host of others that just completely took over my taste for songs that are just about love, or sex, or love and sex, or love and sex and money or whatever. :P 
After that, came all the unknown underground bands, but, well, long story short, I had become a hardcore Proghead. 
So, point is, I think a combination of time, listening experience AND a mature taste is what really gets you into Prog.

I am right there with you, NickArvas.  And, welcome to Prog Archives!
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 09:05
My grandfather was a classical musician, and taught me from the very beginning how to listen to and appreciate classical music. Since back in the early 70s many prog artists had a classical background, I could easily relate to their music. I could not get into the more popular forms of modern music, having not much of a meaning or real substance (like The Jackson 5, The Osmonds, Donna Summers, etc), so the music of Jethro Tull, Yes, Genesis, PFM, King Crimson, etc, was like a ray of sunshine on a cloudy day.   
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 09:16
For me personally it has something to do with being in the 'right moment'. Some albums have laid dormant on the shelf for several years before I revisited them, simply because they failed to engage me at the time I first purchased them. Maybe I was expecting something different from the music or perhaps dismissive of certain styles.
A year or two goes by and swoop I listen to the same album, under the right circumstances (good weed, thanks Jim) and woe and behold it's suddenly a keeper!

It could be that tastes mature, but I think it has more to do with people's willingness to step out of their comfort zone and try something different. 

Edited by Guldbamsen - July 27 2015 at 09:17
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 09:53
Drugs....definitely drugs.

Just kidding,... though in the old days that did play an important part for many people.
I think one is either inclined...hardwired so to speak... to like prog or not. I have tried to turn my son in law onto prog several times over the last few years and he just doesn't seem interested. He does like quite a few classic rock bands like Blindfaith, Cream, Allman Bros band, etc. but he doesn't really listen to any prog I have recommended.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 10:37
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Drugs....definitely drugs.

Just kidding,... though in the old days that did play an important part for many people.
No, you're really not kidding. The drug culture of the late 60s/early 70s was an acceptable part of most young people's everyday life (just like sex without consequence -- I miss those days!Wink), and made longer rock compositions not only also acceptable but almost necessary.

And it wasn't just "prog" specifically with Tull, Genesis, ELP, Floyd and Yes playing incredibly long songs, but nearly every rocker with pretensions of grandeur (and a captivated audience) playing long jams: Deep Purple (how else to explain "Space Truckin'" going on for 20 minutes on Made in Japan? LOL), Zeppelin (No Quarter, Ten Years Gone, In My Time of Dying, etc.), Grateful Dead, Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper, etc. I can't imagine Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" being allowed on radio now, let alone being a single.

We didn't have AD/HD back then (or at least nothing a half ounce of pot or some Quaaludes couldn't cure). We didn't have a 24/7 news cycle. We didn't twit out single lines of meaningless banter. We didn't have 400 channels of mediocre TV programming. We didn't have digital downloads -- it took effort to go change the album on the turntable if you were stoned! People read books! People actually left their homes to walk outside and not bemoan their allergic reactions to the world.

Totally different now. People are programmed to be attention-deficited.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 11:22
I only have friends that appreciate prog and make their way through back catalogues, or else...
Well, I have one friend, who did like some Pink Floyd, some Traffic and one Van der Graaf Generator song, but for the rest... nothing at all. But he has a large knowledge of back catalogues of non prog bands. I let him listen to a lot of prog bands, but he just wasn't the type for it.

All my friendships seemed to be: either totally addicted to prog and dedicated to finding out more stuff, or almost totally non prog. No middle ground.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 14:07
Drugs did play a large part in the early prog listening experience, especially pot use. But a more overlooked reason is that prog was not it's own genre in the early seventies and, believe it or not, a Yes album could be played right after a Led Zeppelin album or something from Deep Purple.
This phenomenon of being specifically a prog listener is something that sprang up post punk when music fans starting to draw lines in the sand.  Something that I've tried to avoid for most of my life. I like what I like and FTW.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 16:13
^ Quite true, and the one constant that ran between all those acts was a certain newness: a willingness on the artists' part to expand and a willingness from the listener to dig it as long as it was good.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>