Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSpirit of Eden/DSOTM parallels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Goodminton View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spirit of Eden/DSOTM parallels
    Posted: July 27 2015 at 14:33
Do you think Hollis and co were influenced by Floyd when they made Spirit of Eden? I've always thought it was similar to Dark Side of the Moon in terms of the production and the lyrical themes. Both of the albums seem to be tragic chronicles of somebody's life. For example, DSOTM has "Money" and Spirit of Eden has "Wealth". Parts of  "I Believe In You" sound a lot like "Great Gig in the Sky" and "Money".

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 06:51
DSOTM is about the trials and tribulations of life in general rather than one person's life. I'm not sure if there's any particular theme running through Spirit, as it's hard to understand Hollis' singing and the lyrics are so small on the CD cover that I can't read them.
Both are brilliant albums, although I would personally rank Spirit above DSOTM. Spirit is more jazzy and free form than DSOTM.
Goodminton View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 02:45
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

DSOTM is about the trials and tribulations of life in general rather than one person's life. I'm not sure if there's any particular theme running through Spirit, as it's hard to understand Hollis' singing and the lyrics are so small on the CD cover that I can't read them.
Both are brilliant albums, although I would personally rank Spirit above DSOTM. Spirit is more jazzy and free form than DSOTM.

Maybe I've always just viewed both albums about being chronicles of a person's life. Though the "person" could be quite subjective, like the listener. "I Believe in You" is definitely about heroin though.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 02:55
Other than the fact that each is a superb album and one of the best releases from their respective decades I see very little common ground musically between these two classics. 

I can imagine that a 70s proggie that became disillusioned in the 80s could have been blown away by the musical adventure that Spirit of Eden provided. I certainly was, but I was already completely hooked on Talk Talk after their seminal Colour of Spring knocked me sideways a few years earlier.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 21:00

Bryan Ferry in his Germanic Country Life-era......Richard Wright's hypnotic, floating Hammond......the second side of Kraftwerk's Autobon album......Kate Bush's early stuff......David Sylvan.....so many things come to mind when hearing those albums, but there was also nothing like it.  Those three Talk Talk albums have also influenced a lot that came after.  They were both ahead of their time and full of influences.

Edited by Intruder - August 01 2015 at 23:50
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Komandant Shamal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2015 at 00:11

^^^^ "Spirit of Eden" lp is really an amazing and smooth mix of so different influences by the greatest Art Rock acts of the era. dont forget also those solo-Townshend-like Hollis' vocals on "Desire".

it's best to hear in the part of song that starts at 4:32.

Post Reply Post Reply