Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTull Fan Central: JT Appreciation Thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 15:35
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Originally posted by GKR GKR wrote:

I received my Too old remix box today. The 4 outtakes are better than every song on the album as expected apart from Chequered flag which is first class too. Tull and their bloody soundtracks lol. In 1974 and 76 they planned to do a soundtrack and also a separate tull album in both years. In the end they just released the soundtracks but these remixes have given us the additional 1974 album which was meant to be and the additional 1976 half album which didn't get complete. Wish Ian didn't waste time trying to write pop songs for movies and plays he was hoping to create. We would have been left with first class tull albums instead and a lot more prog fans. Probably missed out on a couple of gems in 1976 because he spent too much time on his proposed project. But we are left with 2 pretty strong albums with the addition of the outtakes and deletion of several of the soundtrack songs.

How is the video? I love that TV Special, cant wait to see it in high quality!

Haven't played that yet. Will today. Wonder what the other songs would have been like if both 76 albums were finished

Which are exactly this songs of the "unborn" second album of 1976?
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 16:43

I received my Too old remix box today. The 4 outtakes are better than every song on the album as expected apart from Chequered flag which is first class too. Tull and their bloody soundtracks lol. In 1974 and 76 they planned to do a soundtrack and also a separate tull album in both years. In the end they just released the soundtracks but these remixes have given us the additional 1974 album which was meant to be and the additional 1976 half album which didn't get complete. Wish Ian didn't waste time trying to write pop songs for movies and plays he was hoping to create. We would have been left with first class tull albums instead and a lot more prog fans. Probably missed out on a couple of gems in 1976 because he spent too much time on his proposed project. But we are left with 2 pretty strong albums with the addition of the outtakes and deletion of several of the soundtrack songs.

How is the video? I love that TV Special, cant wait to see it in high quality!

Haven't played that yet. Will today. Wonder what the other songs would have been like if both 76 albums were finished

Which are exactly this songs of the "unborn" second album of 1976?

Whatever wasn't on the album(soundtrack). Strip cartoon, Commercial traveller, Small cigar(full version), Salamander ragtime. These songs instantly sound like tull. Better compositions and vocals, more grunt, busier, catchier. More like actual prog. We probably would have had One brown mouse and a completed Advertising man on it too plus more. Maybe the guitar/drum medley and Beethovens 9th from Tampa would have been recorded in the studio too. But they ran out of time. The plan was to do a usual tull album and also a soundtrack in 74 and 76. But Ian was too caught up in the idea about making a movie and soundtrack in 74 and a play and soundtrack in 76. He composed and sang differently to how he would naturally. At least we have the full amount of songs from 74 for both albums and a few songs for the musical and about half the songs for the additional 76 album.

Edited by dr prog - December 05 2015 at 16:48
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2015 at 04:11
Hi all

now because PA does not let us do this; I have been spending the last week putting together all official Jethro Tull released tracks and getting them on ranker.com for polling of the best Tull tracks of all time. (I know I musn't have much of a life!). I have endeavoured to put together every official released track ...I probably have missed a few.
Here they are here:
http://www.ranker.com/list/best-jethro-tull-songs/voteable?format=GRID&page=1&action=tab&type=list

Get to it and tell your friends to join in.

Also you can rank all Tull studio albums here:
http://www.ranker.com/list/best-jethro-tull-albums-list/reference

I have spent the last few weeks on this site.....It does get you in. Oh a few votes for Martin Barre on the Greatest guitarists of all time list wouldn't go astray! He's sitting on #154....C'mon!!!!  If you can be bothered!
http://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/the-greatest-guitarists-of-all-time

The TOTRNRTYTD Theatre Edition arrived here in OZ for me 2 days ago. i haven't listened to it yet.

Edited by BarryGlibb - December 06 2015 at 04:19
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2015 at 06:22
Poor Martin, he has more thumb down than thumbs up. Unhappy
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2015 at 14:23
Here's my new programmed track list. Sounds miles better. The real Tull is back. Ian's voice, martins guitar and Tulls compositions. With these 4 new songs this could rival sftw and horses. Out with the 4 daggy soundtrack songs and in with the Tull songs with the taab/app feel

Strip cartoon
From a deadbeat
Salamanders ragtime
Pied piper
Commercial traveller
Salamander
Big Dipper
Small cigar(orchestral)
Quiz kid
Chequered flag
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2015 at 15:38
^ Very nice your set list, man! It really works! Thumbs Up

By the way, who is the female vocal on Salamander  Ragtime? I couldnt find on internet... Is it Maddy Prior?
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2015 at 18:51

^ Very nice your set list, man! It really works! Thumbs Up

By the way, who is the female vocal on Salamander  Ragtime? I couldnt find on internet... Is it Maddy Prior?

Yeah Maddy Prior. Yeah that setlist is awesome. The album goes from mediocre to great after those alterations to the track list. The songs I brought in have that taab/app feel. I just ignore bad eyed, too old etc. as Ian trying to be different. It's not really tull. Amazing they could really produce a classic prog related album pretty much every year of the 70s if they felt like it lol. How about warchild? Would you make it a single or double album? I'd add a couple of orchestra tracks on the double and bugger off bungle and two fingers.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2015 at 19:14
^ If you include Good godmother, I would like to see how it will be such a double LP. Smile
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2015 at 19:19

^ If you include Good godmother, I would like to see how it will be such a double LP. Smile

Definately including that lol. I'll include all studio outtakes and 2-3 orchestral.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2016 at 07:30
Does anyone know why this recordings were not included in the A Passion Play or WarChild boxset?

doompaul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 13:40
I am currently purchasing the entire Tull discography on vinyl. I have always been a big fan but have lately been re-listening to records that I didn't much care for when I was 16 (Broadsword, A, Rock Island) and whereas they are by no means masterpieces, they all really have a lot to offer. Far more than I remembered. Still have a tough time wrapping my head around Under Wraps, though.  
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 14:38
Originally posted by doompaul doompaul wrote:

I am currently purchasing the entire Tull discography on vinyl. I have always been a big fan but have lately been re-listening to records that I didn't much care for when I was 16 (Broadsword, A, Rock Island) and whereas they are by no means masterpieces, they all really have a lot to offer. Far more than I remembered. Still have a tough time wrapping my head around Under Wraps, though.  

U got any of the remixes? There are double the amount of great tracks compared to original albums. Sound quality is awesome. Ignoring compilations such as LITP, the run of 14 albums released from 68-82 in their original track list format only really tells half the story. There are 22 albums worth of studio tracks in this period and that's not including multiple versions of any single track. The best thing about this is that if I had to pick the 20 weakest tracks from this 15 year period, most of them would be original album tracks. So the remixes give us 8 extra albums worth of mainly great Tull

Edited by dr prog - August 30 2016 at 14:40
doompaul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 15:06
I don't as of yet...but I look forward to getting them. So far I just have the original releases plus the Tropo bootleg Nowhere Fast. There is such an extensive catalog that I can certainly see that I have my work (and my wallet) cut out for me.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 15:17
Originally posted by doompaul doompaul wrote:

I don't as of yet...but I look forward to getting them. So far I just have the original releases plus the Tropo bootleg Nowhere Fast. There is such an extensive catalog that I can certainly see that I have my work (and my wallet) cut out for me.

You won't regret lol. Warchild has about 3 albums worth and Aqualing and Passion have 2 albums worth and most of the others an
extra half album. The most notable ones are the 2 soundtracks Warchild and Too old. We almost get the 2 Tull albums I kind of expected from Tull on the remixes in addition to the 2 original soundtracks

Edited by dr prog - August 30 2016 at 15:18
The misanthrope View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 20:13
I just saw the Ian Anderson Rock opera about Jethro Tull the inventor. Great show Ian Still has it. 
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 02:16
Jethro Tull will Always have my love.

The only albums I have not so much love for are the debut, 'A' and Under Wraps.

I love everything else. I also love all Ian Anderson-solo albums and the Martin Barre-albums.

I think my favourite albums are:

1. Thick as a Brick
2. Benefit
3. Minstrel in the Gallery
4. Aqualung
5. Crest of a Knave

My favorite Ian-album is Secret Language of Birds, wich is a masterpiece.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 02:21
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

ok I get it with A and Under Wraps, but what's wrong with the debut? 
I think it's great.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 02:23
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

ok I get it with A and Under Wraps, but what's wrong with the debut? 
I think it's great.

It's not hate, it's just not love.
It's more Mick Abrahams-bluesrock, and not yet Ian Anderson prog/folk/rock.

I'm not too fond of bluesrock in general.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 09:18
I know it is not prog, but I like This Was a lot, especially Serenade To a Cuckoo, and Beggars Farm, and the box set cuts of To Be Sad is a Mad Way To Be, and One For John Gee
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 11:03
what is your favorite Tull line up?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>