Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenesis-Calling All Stations.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genesis-Calling All Stations.
    Posted: August 04 2015 at 06:52
When Calling All Stations was released in 1997,i was mightily worried that Genesis had made the wrong call,and should have called it a day when Phil Collins left the band.On first listenings my fears were confirmed,and i put the album away,and didn't listen to it for years.I returned to it last year after hearing Small Talk on the radio.You know what I really enjoy it now.Alien Afternoon,Not About Us,The Dividing Line,One Man's Fool are all very good with that traditional G sound.Ray Wilson did a decent vocal on this,and its a pity Banks and Rutherford didn't give the band one more album with Wilson on board.I actually now prefer CAS to We Can't Dance,which had some good tracks,but had plenty of filler too! Are they're any other supporters of CAS? Or should Genesis have ended when PC left the band?
"Hello sun.Hello bird.
Hello my lady.
Hello breakfast.May I buy you
again tomorrow?"
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2015 at 07:31
Genesis should have ended when PG left the band. Tongue
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2015 at 07:33
I like the title track and Congo, and I thought the rest was sub-par.
I must admit, though, that I didn't try the album out long enough.
Maybe I should try it again.
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2015 at 10:26
I stopped buying Genesis albums after 'Duke' but one thing disturbed me when I read about this era in 'Chapter and Verse' - Ray Wilson was wondering where the big hit single was on this album and I thought such an attitude was all wrong...
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2015 at 15:30
I stopped buying after Wind and Wuthering....though GKR makes a decent point about stopping after PG left.
Ermm
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2015 at 15:48
Not a bad album, poor editing in parts especially the end fade on the title track CAS and the fade out of Congo. I think the album is musically very good. Although Ray Wilson is a unique vocalist, he was not really a ' Genesis' sounding voice albeit a bit Gabriel like at times. He contributed handsomely to the album and Rutherford and Banks worked wonders without Collins. I often wonder what the album would have sounded like with Collins at the helm. I am glad for the archives and posterity this was released as it is an important juncture in their history.
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2015 at 16:25
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I stopped buying after Wind and Wuthering....though GKR makes a decent point about stopping after PG left.
Ermm
But Trick of the Tail is my favorite! Cry
t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2015 at 21:56
I kept buying after Duke but for me that was the end of it. Damn glad they kept going post Lamb cos Trick, W&W and Duke are three of my favourites.

I admit I also dismissed CAS intially but had another listen to it the other week and thought it actually held up rather well. Probably would have been worth trying for a follow up but I'm guessing those guys knew their real money making days were behind them so they slipped into oh bugger it mode and decided to milk the reissue cow for all she was worth. Shame really but such it is. I also think the degree of selfishness in not making Thompson and Steumer full time members went against them.

Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
Skalla-Grim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2015 at 00:57
I like the title track and "Uncertain Weather". 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2015 at 06:48
This album really, REALLY lost me. Some tracks are longer, but I e always thought We Can't Dance to be a lot more Prog. I only liked Alien Afternoon, and I haven't listened to CaS for at least 15 years !
Kirillov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2015 at 07:30
I remember liking 'One Man's Fool', although that may have been because it is the last track! I'll have to listen again, although I'm not even sure I still have the CD.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2015 at 13:42
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Ermm
But Trick of the Tail is my favorite! Cry

Heh...Trick and Wind are good albums , I even have the ones with the extra dvd disc...but when I want a Genesis fix I play one of the Gabriel ones.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2015 at 18:08
Originally posted by the lighthouse keepe the lighthouse keepe wrote:

When Calling All Stations was released in 1997,i was mightily worried that Genesis had made the wrong call,and should have called it a day when Phil Collins left the band.On first listenings my fears were confirmed,and i put the album away,and didn't listen to it for years.I returned to it last year after hearing Small Talk on the radio.You know what I really enjoy it now.Alien Afternoon,Not About Us,The Dividing Line,One Man's Fool are all very good with that traditional G sound.Ray Wilson did a decent vocal on this,and its a pity Banks and Rutherford didn't give the band one more album with Wilson on board.I actually now prefer CAS to We Can't Dance,which had some good tracks,but had plenty of filler too! Are they're any other supporters of CAS? Or should Genesis have ended when PC left the band?

I was very happy when Banks and Rutherford decided to pursue and carry on with CAS - It's a shame that it wasn't well received; I just wonder was it just because Collins wasn't there anymore? A new lead singer? Genesis has always been a band in transition, musically and personnel-wise - When Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, and eventually Phil Collins all departed, it became more clear that Banks & Rutherford were always the nucleus, the core writing team in Genesis. Always a band that never looked back and always surged forward its a shame they eventually did call it a day after CAS - I wish they had not -

Like any album CAS certainly had its highs and lows - Alien Afternoon and If That's What You Need were some of the highs for me - I don't think CAS comes anywhere near the brilliant We Can't Dance; and if it had plenty of "filler" it certainly filled up all the sold-out venues on their world tour! Maybe it wasn't by accident or chance that the last track on We Can't Dance was Fading Lights

Smile 

- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2015 at 18:33
It's quite an intriguing piece of history and definitely entertaining at points.
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2015 at 19:57
After all the bad remarks I've heard from others about CAS, I've never been even the slightest bit tempted to see if they were true.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2015 at 20:40
Originally posted by Rando Rando wrote:

I was very happy when Banks and Rutherford decided to pursue and carry on with CAS - It's a shame that it wasn't well received; I just wonder was it just because Collins wasn't there anymore? A new lead singer? Genesis has always been a band in transition, musically and personnel-wise - When Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, and eventually Phil Collins all departed, it became more clear that Banks & Rutherford were always the nucleus, the core writing team in Genesis. Always a band that never looked back and always surged forward its a shame they eventually did call it a day after CAS - I wish they had not -

Like any album CAS certainly had its highs and lows - Alien Afternoon and If That's What You Need were some of the highs for me - I don't think CAS comes anywhere near the brilliant We Can't Dance; and if it had plenty of "filler" it certainly filled up all the sold-out venues on their world tour! Maybe it wasn't by accident or chance that the last track on We Can't Dance was Fading Lights

Smile 

Whoa .... OK , to be clear, I have pretty much everything Genesis have done from Trespass on , hell I've even got a copy of Spot the Pigeon and most of their solo efforts. They are for me my all time favourite band and my favourite Genesis albums range from Selling England to Duke, but We Can't Dance brilliant ? Not in my book. It's even less appealing than Invisible Touch and going by my recent listen I'm thinking CAS is better than either of its predecessors. Indeed CAS is probably better than Genesis the album. "Better" in this context means of course only that my ears think so but to me those albums simply lack depth.
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2015 at 01:05
[/QUOTE] Whoa .... OK , to be clear, I have pretty much everything Genesis have done from Trespass on , hell I've even got a copy of Spot the Pigeon and most of their solo efforts. They are for me my all time favourite band and my favourite Genesis albums range from Selling England to Duke, but We Can't Dance brilliant ? Not in my book. It's even less appealing than Invisible Touch and going by my recent listen I'm thinking CAS is better than either of its predecessors. Indeed CAS is probably better than Genesis the album. "Better" in this context means of course only that my ears think so but to me those albums simply lack depth.
[/QUOTE]

Well I suppose it can be said that 'music is in the ear of the beholder (or listener). So I stand my ground with We Can't Dance because I still heard all the classic Genesis elements in this album; "Fading Lights," "Spike," or "Living Forever." But that's my ear, as we all have them to enjoy this great historical parade of music from a 'brilliant' band.
- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2015 at 06:37
It's not a terrible album, but I don;t recognise it as Genesis. Without PC or PG singing, it's just a Banks/Rutherford project. I've heard it about three times, but never bothered parting with cash for it.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2015 at 11:45
I like CAS and IMO this is a "Underrated" Album. There are some weak point in it but CAS better than "Dance" of Genesis specially Bank Dance! 
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2015 at 16:14
When CAS came out, I was completely underwhelmed. I shuffled to it a few years later during a long train ride across India, and that's when I realized that there is some very nice stuff in the album. Perhaps it was the boat ride down the Ganges that morning that made me meditative enough to dig the music.

I think the album is too subtle to connect with people the way other Genesis albums did. I find Banks and Rutherford's playing to be subdued, but I like Wilson's singing. Perhaps the album would have fared better if they produced something a bit more challenging. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>